ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Seville should not be on the court unless she is draining 3"s. This team was poorly prepared for the Creighton half court game IMO! Not to mention guards can't shoot with any consistency.

Reactions: AMAYS
Seville should not be on the court unless she is draining 3"s. This team was poorly prepared for the Creighton half court game IMO! Not to mention guards can't shoot with any consistency.

Agreed. Poor coaching day by Bluder. Ollinger and Sevillian needed more bench time.

A lot of similarities between the men and women programs right now. Bluder wins just enough to keep her job and McCaffery had such a hole to dig out of and so he gets to keep his

Creighton's guards really made ours look bad. Same could be said of their coaching staff. We had a nice season, but this was a stinker. Props to Stewart for bringing energy, probably should have played a lot more.

Reactions: JAMAM and haightt
Bluder outcoached again. Flannery called her before the game and said they were stuck in the elevator and asked if they could push the game back. He got right in her head and played her like a puppet master. Iowa spent the whole week partying in LA, not preparing for a game. FIRE BLUDER and BARTA!

Agreed. Poor coaching day by Bluder. Ollinger and Sevillian needed more bench time.
They didn't even bother to guard Ollinger, kind of humiliating. Sevillian played so well in the first half of the season, but couldn't maintain that level of play. She'll go back to the bench when Davis returns.

Sevillian was thrust into a role she wasn't ready for, not her fault though. Best coming of the bench as a 3 point shooter for 15-18 minutes a game. She struggled in all aspects today as did Doyle for much of the game. All the guards need to improve their overall games on both ends of the court or next season will have a similar end.

Davis is the missing piece for sure. None of the other Iowa guards are very sure of themselves. Sevillian's passes in particular are very suspect, but Doyle's and Meyer's aren't much better. Though, I'd say Coley being unable to hit the jumpers as she usually does might be the reason that Iowa lost today.

Davis is the missing piece for sure. None of the other Iowa guards are very sure of themselves. Sevillian's passes in particular are very suspect, but Doyle's are Meyer's aren't much better. Though, I'd say Coley being unable to hit the jumpers as she usually does might be the reason that Iowa lost today.
Iowa's lack of help defense and fighting over top of screens are why they lost.

Just a little bit more of everything (and fewer turnovers) and coulda, shoulda. Missing some pieces, actually did surprisingly well this year considering injuries, defections— thanks much to Megan, but clearly better outcomes when all the others were contributing more than we saw tonight. Chase only one who experienced Sweet 16 run, so great experience to set up next year, too bad ends on a poor note this year.

Reactions: JAMAM
Davis is the missing piece for sure. None of the other Iowa guards are very sure of themselves. Sevillian's passes in particular are very suspect, but Doyle's and Meyer's aren't much better. Though, I'd say Coley being unable to hit the jumpers as she usually does might be the reason that Iowa lost today.

Agree, the loss of Davis destabilized the entire group of guards, who had to keep playing a lot of minutes anyway because there wasn't anyone else. I think Doyle and Sevillian will benefit next season from not having to play as much. Not sure what to think of Meyer; she can be fantastic on a given night, but didn't really score that much after her injury, and we needed her to do so.

Let's be real here, 24-8 plus 3rd in the Big Ten is hard to argue with given the unexpected absences of Davis, Cera and Houston... very hard to not be pleased with that result! Looking ahead, Iowa needs "A" games from Doyle and Meyer on a consistent basis, Davis's return with solid play, continued advancement from Stuwert, plus another guard and forward from the bench or incoming group, to make, ironically, the contributions similar to that Cera and Houston would have made to really break thru the "glass ceiling". Do Ollinger, Sanders, Ramos or the incoming freshman have that much to offer?

I've said before that I would like to see Olinger at a 4 with Stewart and hopefully Czinano can contribute as Megan's backup. I believe the freshmen will at least give us some depth, which ones, I do not know.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Let's be real here, 24-8 plus 3rd in the Big Ten is hard to argue with given the unexpected absences of Davis, Cera and Houston... very hard to not be pleased with that result! Looking ahead, Iowa needs "A" games from Doyle and Meyer on a consistent basis, Davis's return with solid play, continued advancement from Stuwert, plus another guard and forward from the bench or incoming group, to make, ironically, the contributions similar to that Cera and Houston would have made to really break thru the "glass ceiling". Do Ollinger, Sanders, Ramos or the incoming freshman have that much to offer?
Ollinger contributed a ton this year. Just not points. It would be really nice to see her develop more of an offensive game. A big guard like her with a medium jumper in her game would be deadly.

I've said before that I would like to see Olinger at a 4 with Stewart and hopefully Czinano can contribute as Megan's backup. I believe the freshmen will at least give us some depth, which ones, I do not know.
I saw Martin play two state tournament games (both losses). Based on that, she can be in the rotation, but won't make a huge difference next year. I cringe every time two of our returning players are involved in handling the ball, and she would seem to be an improvement there. Brings some athleticism in the 5-10 to 6-foot range that we currently lack and could help on defense. Can hit the occasional 3. Will also bring some fire, not Doyle-level.

Ollinger contributed a ton this year. Just not points. It would be really nice to see her develop more of an offensive game. A big guard like her with a medium jumper in her game would be deadly.
If you invented in a new sport called "Crash the Boards," she would be a No. 1 draft pick. I've come around at least 120 degrees on her. Still a little ways to go.

Last edited:
Heard before the game that Coley was under the weather. I had a bad feeling before hearing this and my heart just sank. The guards looked as though they hadn't been in the gym since the Big Tourney. Creighton's coaches did a good job of scouting Iowa and putting together a game plan.

I see Ollinger as a Kelly Krei kind of player who has more impact than her stat line shows. I would like to see Stewart as the starter at the 4 but it leaves us too thin at 4-5 subs.

Reactions: mphawk
Heard before the game that Coley was under the weather. I had a bad feeling before hearing this and my heart just sank. The guards looked as though they hadn't been in the gym since the Big Tourney. Creighton's coaches did a good job of scouting Iowa and putting together a game plan.
I was wondering about Coley because she had absolutely no energy.

Am still surprised at how badly out-classed our guards were. Don't want to hear that they're just sophomores, Meyer and Doyle have started for two years and have more game experience than a lot of juniors.

Last edited:
I see Ollinger as a Kelly Krei kind of player who has more impact than her stat line shows. I would like to see Stewart as the starter at the 4 but it leaves us too thin at 4-5 subs.
Kelly Keri could and did shoot threes effectively. Ollinger needs to remember how to do that.

Reactions: conn53victor
Bluder outcoached again. Flannery called her before the game and said they were stuck in the elevator and asked if they could push the game back. He got right in her head and played her like a puppet master. Iowa spent the whole week partying in LA, not preparing for a game. FIRE BLUDER and BARTA!

I too love drugs

Reactions: BGHAWK
The game against the Creighton was another game very difficult to watch. It's sad that after playing over 30 games this year the players were making the same mistakes. I feel really bad for Megan. She should be surrounded by better players.
I won't miss baggy pants Coley a bit. The rest of the roster aside from Stewart are mediocre and mistake prone.

The game against the Creighton was another game very difficult to watch. It's sad that after playing over 30 games this year the players were making the same mistakes. I feel really bad for Megan. She should be surrounded by better players.
I won't miss baggy pants Coley a bit. The rest of the roster aside from Stewart are mediocre and mistake prone.

I don't know about the mediocre comment. Inconsistent I would say, and all the other perimeter players were asked to fit in roles they weren't quite ready for once Davis got hurt. Meyer was in a very nice rhythm shooting the ball before she broke her hand and never really got it back.

Bluder just doesn't recruit great athletes, which makes their margin for error very slim if shots aren't going in. Next year they could make it to the second weekend of the tournament if the injury bug stays away. Gustafson is that good. It is astounding at how good she is. Just need to capitalize by finding some other players who can knock in shots around her and defend.

Time to start a 2018-19 thread Oak. :) Ditch that last game from memory!
Any idea about the schedule? We'll have two less non-conference games with the expanded B1G schedule. Hoping they don't slip in the two extra B1G games in early Dec.

Most curious about our Thanksgiving tournament...where we're going.

Reactions: JAMAM
DodgerHawki makes a great point about the supporting cast, they all need to follow Megan's lead on work ethic to improve their overall game. Losing Chase Coley will hurt, her ability to hit the 15-17 footer consistently really helped give Megan space to operate. Next season it will need to be more of a team effort on spacing the floor meaning the guards have to be more consistent making teams pay for the doubling inside. Megan has already mentioned she will be talking to the coaches about adding a 3pt. shot to her game which will help make things easier on her while giving Hannah room to operate down low too.

Still would like to see coaches pick up a quality big at the 4/5 if one presents herself as it's a position of great need going forward.

Reactions: Bum Leer
Put together a shooting % chart on 5 players. Before and after Davis got hurt.
with davis without davis
FG% 3pt.% ft% fg% 3pt.% ft%
Meyer
46 39 89.5 36.6 36.6 92
Sevillian
48 49 89 33 32 80
Ollinger
36.5 27 27 47 14 64
Doyle
46 29 76 35 35 63
Davis
37.5 40 84

Put together a shooting % chart on 5 players. Before and after Davis got hurt.
with davis without davis
FG% 3pt.% ft% fg% 3pt.% ft%
Meyer
46 39 89.5 36.6 36.6 92
Sevillian
48 49 89 33 32 80
Ollinger
36.5 27 27 47 14 64
Doyle
46 29 76 35 35 63
Davis
37.5 40 84

This is probably very biased. With Davis was probably non-conference paddy-cake teams. However I think with her we would have made the 16 or better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT