ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

Can you provide any details on the type of player she is? Thanks.
6’0-6’1 lefty. Blew up during the summer while playing with All Iowa Attack. Very athletic and began making 3’s as the summer went on. Relentless rebounder who outjumps taller opponents. Stretch 4 will all kinds of upside. Played all summer with her age group, but I hear she will play with Attack top team this upcoming summer. That team includes Megan Meyer (Iowa commit) and 2020 target Caitlin Clark. I asked one of the Attack coaches about her (before she committed) and he said great kid with relentless work ethic. Always working to get better and a great teammate. Sounds like a solid, maybe under the radar, get.

Per Jeff Linder tweet earlier today:

Women's basketball news to come at 6 p.m.
Here's what I can tell you. The Hawkeyes have a sophomore commitment, their first for the Class of 2020. She is an Iowan. As per her wishes, we are holding until 6 p.m. so she can tell other coaches of her decision.

If heights are listed right, she has grown 3 inches in the last year.
Summer evaluation:
Shateah Wetering – 2020 – Forward – All Iowa Attack 9th Nike – Active forward…Lefty…Can put it on the floor…Long stride…True #4…Gets out on the break…Sees the floor defensively
6-1

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Per Jeff Linder tweet earlier today:

Women's basketball news to come at 6 p.m.
Here's what I can tell you. The Hawkeyes have a sophomore commitment, their first for the Class of 2020. She is an Iowan. As per her wishes, we are holding until 6 p.m. so she can tell other coaches of her decision.
I may be behind times, but I thought the news ALWAYS had to come from the player.

I may be behind times, but I thought the news ALWAYS had to come from the player.
He didn’t give any names and is respecting the recruit’s wishes. She does have a Twitter account so it is quite likely that she will announce her commitment prior to any news release by the Gazette or any other news organization. If she isn’t able to reach the coaches she wants to contact, then I imagine she could delay her announcement and the Gazette would delay their release. Just my thoughts on this.

The coaches can't talk about her until she inks her LOI. A couple years from now, since she is a 2020.

'She has tremendous upside': Hawkeyes land intriguing 2020 prospect Shateah Wetering

[Shateah] Wetering [...] really broke through this past summer in her first season with the All-Iowa Attack. After steady improvement from the spring into the summer, she shined during the July evaluation period... “When July was over, we got a lot of phone calls on her — and Iowa stepped up,” Attack coach Randy Mauro said. Mauro pegged Wetering as a “stretch three or four”, whose raw athleticism, leaping ability and relentless work ethic has her in position to continue trending upward by the time she gets to Iowa.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ing-2020-prospect-shateah-wetering/994708001/

Note also the height of her dad in the other picture. Could she still be growing?
Girls typically reach their adult height between the ages of 14-15, unlike boys who can continue to grow even up into their college years. Girls mature at a much faster and earlier rate than boys. Shateah is most likely at her full height, especially given the growth spurt she just had.

Girls typically reach their adult height between the ages of 14-15, unlike boys who can continue to grow even up into their college years. Girls mature at a much faster and earlier rate than boys. Shateah is most likely at her full height, especially given the growth spurt she just had.
While this is typically true, all young adults (both male and female mature at different rates. Some mature earlier and some later. The question becomes whether Shateah is typical or a ‘late-bloomer’. It is impossible to know for sure but Shateah may have stopped growing taller or she could possibly still grow another inch or two. She is already much taller than her mother, so maybe she will be closer to her father. None of this really matters though as there are other more important factors that determine how good she can be in basketball. If she can handle the ball like a guard and shoot threes, she is well suited to play the three position.

While this is typically true, all young adults (both male and female mature at different rates. Some mature earlier and some later. The question becomes whether Shateah is typical or a ‘late-bloomer’. It is impossible to know for sure but Shateah may have stopped growing taller or she could possibly still grow another inch or two. She is already much taller than her mother, so maybe she will be closer to her father. None of this really matters though as there are other more important factors that determine how good she can be in basketball. If she can handle the ball like a guard and shoot threes, she is well suited to play the three position.

That’s possible, Cyber, but it’s much more likely that she’s reached her max height. But I do agree that her basketball skills are more important than her height, which is already good for several positions. Her bball skills can only improve going forward whether or not she gets any taller.

Anyway, I was simply trying to reply to mphawk’s question based on what I know usually happens. My spouse teaches biology/genetics to girls at that age - and being familiar with girls at that age group through athletics (as a coach). They don’t usually get taller, especially after the 3 in. growth spurt that Shateah supposedly just had.

Since her mother was mentioned, and hands were mentioned in previous posts, did anyone catch her mother’s hands in that family photo? Very large! I haven’t seen her father’s hands as they aren’t shown, but her mother’s hands are huge given her height.

A very exciting prospect for us - we have a lot to look forward to!

Reactions: cyberhawk
The encouraging thing is despite the growth spurt she seems to have not lost any ability as sometimes happens. She runs the 100,200, and 400 yard dashes and plays volleyball. As she improves her skills she could become a very good player. As her AAU coach mentioned, a lot of upside.

Reactions: Hawksoxfan
Whitney Jennings scoring 20 ppg at Butler. Its to bad the way she was physically treated at IOWA. Word is out on the recruiting trail and Whitney has alot of friends in the MIdwest.

That’s possible, Cyber, but it’s much more likely that she’s reached her max height. But I do agree that her basketball skills are more important than her height, which is already good for several positions. Her bball skills can only improve going forward whether or not she gets any taller.

Anyway, I was simply trying to reply to mphawk’s question based on what I know usually happens. My spouse teaches biology/genetics to girls at that age - and being familiar with girls at that age group through athletics (as a coach). They don’t usually get taller, especially after the 3 in. growth spurt that Shateah supposedly just had.

Since her mother was mentioned, and hands were mentioned in previous posts, did anyone catch her mother’s hands in that family photo? Very large! I haven’t seen her father’s hands as they aren’t shown, but her mother’s hands are huge given her height.

A very exciting prospect for us - we have a lot to look forward to!

This is getting very creepy.

Reactions: Mcbooger
The encouraging thing is despite the growth spurt she seems to have not lost any ability as sometimes happens. She runs the 100,200, and 400 yard dashes and plays volleyball. As she improves her skills she could become a very good player. As her AAU coach mentioned, a lot of upside.

oakhawk, it's a new year so why don't we start a new thread on WBB and incorporate both the season and recruiting into one thread? Just my opinion, but one thread makes it easier for all of the info. Thanks!

oakhawk, it's a new year so why don't we start a new thread on WBB and incorporate both the season and recruiting into one thread? Just my opinion, but one thread makes it easier for all of the info. Thanks!
Disagree. I like recruiting info separate.
And the other thread is a 2017-2018 season thread...not a 2017 calendar year thread.

Reactions: JAMAM and BDinIC
Ohio girls basketball: Gabbie Marshall, MND – She had 46 points over two games Dec. 28-29 helping Mount Notre Dame to two wins in the Kemba Classic, not long after winning the Mercy Health MVP award at the Tipoff Classic.
636507024112803535-McAuley-at-MND021.jpg

Kaye Martin led Edwardsville with 15.
Edwardsville, the No. 1 team in the STLhighschoolsports large school rankings, remained perfect at 14-0 including a 6-0 mark in league play.

Tomi Taiwo had 29 today in a win.
Shateah Wetering had 12 points on 6-7 shooting in a win.

Tomi Taiwo had 14 points (4 3ptrs) as Carmel went to 19-1 on the year.
Megan Meyer had 25 points in a win over Urbandale. 26.2 ppg for year.
Logan Cook is averaging 13 ppg and 6.8 rpg for 10-2 ICW.
Kate Martin is averaging 18.6 ppg for 18-0 Edwardsville.
Monika Czinano is aceraging 24.5 ppg for Watertown-Mayer.
Gabbie Marshall is at 15.2 ppg for 13-2 Mount Notre Dame.
Shateah Wetering is averaging 12.5 ppg for 12-2 Montezuma

Gabbie Marshall is shooting 47% from three for MND. MND is ranked #21 nationally.
Kate Martin's Edwardsville team is ranked #35 nationally.
Tomi Taiwo's Carmel team is #15 nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT