ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

Here is my attempt to make sense of the team roster including all recruits. Of course, I am glad to hear about corrections. Click image for readability.
VKAlHER.jpg

Here is my attempt to make sense of the team roster including all recruits. Of course, I am glad to hear about corrections. Click image for readability.

Nicely done. This year's team is great, but next year's will be loaded and deep again.

The only thing I would change is to put Carly Mohns on the senior class line. Technically she is a junior, but she has stated that she wants to graduate this year and move on.

Nicely done. This year's team is great, but next year's will be loaded and deep again.

The only thing I would change is to put Carly Mohns on the senior class line. Technically she is a junior, but she has stated that she wants to graduate this year and move on.
Thanks. I went with her status on the Hawk website. I just need to add an asterisk with an explanation.

same reason Carly is leaving early, Buttenham left early, and Cera (a starter) left. Ask any player that has ever played there. They can't wait to be done.

same reason Carly is leaving early, Buttenham left early, and Cera (a starter) left. Ask any player that has ever played there. They can't wait to be done.

How come I see former players at Iowa women's basketball games on a regular basis if they hate it so much. And two of them are on the staff. Your BS posts hold no water. At least the Iowa players and former Iowa players aren't dumb enough to go to Iowa State or Illanoy.

Bree left because she wanted to be closer to home and her boyfriend. Carly is going to be done with school and her knees can’t take another season. Butteham had concussions and her family, coaches and herself decided it wasn’t worth her health.
You posting all these lies about abuse are just stupid. Grow up! Your dear dear Whitney is gone...

Reactions: iarick
Looking at the roster and recruits poster, I suddenly had a question: who was the best power forward that Coach Bluder recruited to Iowa? I'd put down Gustafson as the best center, Sam Logic the best point guard, Jaime Printy the best shooting guard, and Ally Disterhoft the best small forward. But I had a hard time thinking of a power forward that stood out. Maybe that's why Iowa does not have a reputation of being a physical team? Perhaps Krista VenderVenter?

Bethaney Doolittle could play the 4 or 5 and was a pretty good 4. As far as shooting guards, I'll take Melissa Dixson over Printy as a shooter. Printy did other things that Melissa didn't do.

Looking at the roster and recruits poster, I suddenly had a question: who was the best power forward that Coach Bluder recruited to Iowa? I'd put down Gustafson as the best center, Sam Logic the best point guard, Jaime Printy the best shooting guard, and Ally Disterhoft the best small forward. But I had a hard time thinking of a power forward that stood out. Maybe that's why Iowa does not have a reputation of being a physical team? Perhaps Krista VenderVenter?

You raise a good question. Besides VandeVenter, I can think of Johanna Solverson, Wendi Ausdemore, Stacy Schlapkohl and Kelly Krei, all of whom played the "4" position IIRC but weren't true power forwards. The first two had more success as wings, where they were matchup nightmares on offense for the other team. And I loved the way Schlapkohl and Krei competed against bigger, stronger opponents with better positioning and speed.

I’d go with Krista hands down. Once she got hurt, the 4 position was redefined and we’ve not had a “power” forward since.

I agree Krista in my mind was THE 'power' forward Coach Bluder had. Ausdemore and Solverson were both great players and certainly had the height and played at 4 at times, but Ausdemore really was a shooting guard, and Solverson was a small forward. I believe Schlapkohl was a center. I remember vividly that she hurt her knee right in front of me (I was sitting really close to the court in that game), thus ushered in the 4-year Megan Skouby era.
I realized that I had forgotten Jennie Lillis. She was a finesse player, certainly not powerful. But, she lived inside the paint. 4 was her natural position.

Bethaney Doolittle could play the 4 or 5 and was a pretty good 4. As far as shooting guards, I'll take Melissa Dixson over Printy as a shooter. Printy did other things that Melissa didn't do.
If just for shooting, I feel Lindsey Meder was a little better that Dixon. Of course, she was not recruited by Coach Bluder and only played two years under her.

Talked to Lindsey on Sunday at the game. One of my all-time favs. She was a more consistent shooter than Melissa, but when Melissa got hot she was amazing. Barely rippling the net from way out.
Krista was on a pace to be Iowa's best rebounder. After she injured her shoulder, her rebounding and scoring tailed off.

Definitely Jennie Lillis, if you consider her the 4. I guess I never though of her as a PF, with her slight build. But she rebounded and fought against all comers. I thought she should have shot a 100 more FT her senior year, but the refs seemed to think it was unfair that she could use her quickness to get to the hoop at will.

Did you have a brain fart there hawkfan. Sam Logic was a point guard.
Of course she was, but in the 3-guard lineup that Lisa used Sam’s last three years, Sam played the defensive power forward position in the zone and often on matchups. Her rebounding stats came from a lot of physical play under the basket.

Bret McCormick from ASGR ranks Iowa 2018 recruiting class 14th in big ten, after last years class of nobody.

Buttenham back on the court after she left because of concussion issues????? Jennings left because Homesick???? Cera? Houston? When will people realize the TRUTH!

Tell us specifically what your truth is. Quit with the insinuations and innuendos and tell what YOU know or shut the hell up already.
Leave town, become an internet legend for another school or two. We are all tired of your shit !

Bree left because she wanted to be closer to home and her boyfriend. Carly is going to be done with school and her knees can’t take another season. Butteham had concussions and her family, coaches and herself decided it wasn’t worth her health.
You posting all these lies about abuse are just stupid. Grow up! Your dear dear Whitney is gone...
Bre would’ve stayed if things were what she thought was displayed to her. The boy friend is a non issue...he actually wanted her to stay. The staff wants iowa city to believe otherwise. Bre also figured out she wanted to be a nurse and was told that wouldn’t fit with her b-ball schedule. Milwaukee has a great nursing program and would work with those educational demands.
Believe me, things aren’t always as they seem!

Of course she was, but in the 3-guard lineup that Lisa used Sam’s last three years, Sam played the defensive power forward position in the zone and often on matchups. Her rebounding stats came from a lot of physical play under the basket.

I've thought that it would have been nice to clone Logic and have the clone play PF, while the original Sam stayed at PG.

I wish they all would have stayed, but Bre and others have left probably for various reasons. I really am tired of talking about who isn't here. I'd rather talk about the ones who are here and have stayed over the years. I don't know of a team that doesn't have transfers, and again for various reasons.

Any recent news on Brea Beal? I see she is still undecided. I remember Non posters commenting that "she would fit right in with Iowa". High praise coming from him indeed.

Tell us specifically what your truth is. Quit with the insinuations and innuendos and tell what YOU know or shut the hell up already.
Leave town, become an internet legend for another school or two. We are all tired of your shit !
Classy post Doug!! Another victim sucked in by "Non posters". Are you not entertained?!?! Keep stirring the pot Non posters, I enjoy the meltdowns. Who cares whether what you post has merit or not, the fallout is worth the visit to the board. If you are "Mr. Joens", then your daughter Ashley is one hell of a player. Good kid, too, from what I hear.

Classy post Doug!! Another victim sucked in by "Non posters". Are you not entertained?!?! Keep stirring the pot Non posters, I enjoy the meltdowns. Who cares whether what you post has merit or not, the fallout is worth the visit to the board. If you are "Mr. Joens", then your daughter Ashley is one hell of a player. Good kid, too, from what I hear.

hawkbuck, If only classy posts were allowed this site would have shut down on the second day in existence.
I'm no victim as you state. For all I know you may be Brian under another name. Rookie.
However, all Joens does is restate that the womens basketball staff is mistreating their players over and over and make the same insinuations. He should either lay out what he knows/has issues with or stop with the same old shit. He has been doing this for a long, long, time.
I personally have no dog in the fight as I don't have any exposure to the staff . I don't believe Lisa needs me to defend her. But if she is a bad person we need to know. Look at Penn State and Michigan State and understand what happens when institutions hide mistreatment of athletes. To a lesser degree, Indiana dismissed its Head Football Coach for forcing players to play hurt.
It would be a crime if Brian Joens or anyone else knows of Iowa athletes being mistreated in any way and not making it known to all starting with the University President.

So far all I have gleaned is that Bre Crea wanted to take Nursing Classes and the coach said it didn't fit with their schedule. If this is accurate she did the correct thing by transferring and if she wanted to take it up the chain of command and couldn't appeal she needs to speak with
the A.D. , the head of Student Affairs , and the U President.
After Barta's Jane Meyer trial and settlement I'd be shocked if any woman wouldn't find him willing to listen.

Reactions: JAMAM
hawkbuck, If only classy posts were allowed this site would have shut down on the second day in existence.
I'm no victim as you state. For all I know you may be Brian under another name. Rookie.
However, all Joens does is restate that the womens basketball staff is mistreating their players over and over and make the same insinuations. He should either lay out what he knows/has issues with or stop with the same old shit. He has been doing this for a long, long, time.
I personally have no dog in the fight as I don't have any exposure to the staff . I don't believe Lisa needs me to defend her. But if she is a bad person we need to know. Look at Penn State and Michigan State and understand what happens when institutions hide mistreatment of athletes. To a lesser degree, Indiana dismissed its Head Football Coach for forcing players to play hurt.
It would be a crime if Brian Joens or anyone else knows of Iowa athletes being mistreated in any way and not making it known to all starting with the University President.

So far all I have gleaned is that Bre Crea wanted to take Nursing Classes and the coach said it didn't fit with their schedule. If this is accurate she did the correct thing by transferring and if she wanted to take it up the chain of command and couldn't appeal she needs to speak with
After Barta's Jane Meyer trial and settlement I'd be shocked if any woman wouldn't find him willing to listen.

Here is another poster throwing around a title that only applies to this message board by calling me a "Rookie". You know Dougie, when you log off the board/site the title "All Stater" goes with it. It's not a social status title there buddy. God forbid you ever reach "Legend" status, your head won't fit thru the message board entrance..........Rookie out

Ollinger wants to be an engineer and when a scheduling conflict occurred last year, the Iowa coaches told her to switch majors.

Ollinger wants to be an engineer and when a scheduling conflict occurred last year, the Iowa coaches told her to switch majors.
You know some of this is on the athlete to stick to their guns. They are a student first, then athlete. My son is a division 1 baseball player and had some issues with the staff on wanting to stay in engineering. We all met and said that he will remain in whatever academic field he chooses and if that is not good enough, then instead of transferring he would not play ball anymore, that simple. It is pretty amazing how fast he was allowed to keep his field of study and now is still playing ball. I have no insight to Bluder or the young athlete in question, but an althete can stick to their guns and see what happens. Maybe this was done and the transfer was the last option, but i do not know for sure. Just some info in that it can be done. I also remember back a couple of years when Ally DIsterfhoft had a internship in the summer in Chicago i beleive. The story talked about the conflict with here summer basketball routine but in the end all the stuff was worked out. So it can be done and in this case seems Bluder made some accmodations. Just some info.

You know some of this is on the athlete to stick to their guns. They are a student first, then athlete. My son is a division 1 baseball player and had some issues with the staff on wanting to stay in engineering. We all met and said that he will remain in whatever academic field he chooses and if that is not good enough, then instead of transferring he would not play ball anymore, that simple. It is pretty amazing how fast he was allowed to keep his field of study and now is still playing ball. I have no insight to Bluder or the young athlete in question, but an althete can stick to their guns and see what happens. Maybe this was done and the transfer was the last option, but i do not know for sure. Just some info in that it can be done. I also remember back a couple of years when Ally DIsterfhoft had a internship in the summer in Chicago i beleive. The story talked about the conflict with here summer basketball routine but in the end all the stuff was worked out. So it can be done and in this case seems Bluder made some accmodations. Just some info.
Very good points!! Except, I would say not every student/athlete can choose school, give up the scholarship and afford to stay in such school. But, your post has lots of merit. As to Disterhoft, she told the staff she was doing the internship as it set her up for life after school/basketball. She really didn't care what the fallout was. The part the staff wanted her around for primarily was for when recruits visited and stayed with the team for a day and she wasn't around to help with the process. But Lisa, Jan and staff endorsed her going to Chicago and had no problem with it.

Very good points!! Except, I would say not every student/athlete can choose school, give up the scholarship and afford to stay in such school. But, your post has lots of merit. As to Disterhoft, she told the staff she was doing the internship as it set her up for life after school/basketball. She really didn't care what the fallout was. The part the staff wanted her around for primarily was for when recruits visited and stayed with the team for a day and she wasn't around to help with the process. But Lisa, Jan and staff endorsed her going to Chicago and had no problem with it.
Excellent point on the money situation, my point is that if conversations would have been had that things could have been worked out. I seem to also remember their being other players under Bluder who had extremely hared majors which would have had major conflicts and seemed to work out just fine, but i admittedly do not have the info to back that up. just going off of listening to games and thoughts and info on players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT