ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

I don't lose sleep over this, but please for the record's sake remember the difference in signatures.

Plural means trolling, jerk. Singular equals long-time member without an agenda.

For what it's worth, I made the mistake of letting someone use my account once to post some information. They abused that by posting some harsh criticism of Brian Joens. Shortly after "non-posters" came onto the message boards. Whoever it is, they seem to have some working knowledge of the sport, but clearly act as if they are some type of insider.

Regardless of who that person is, they behave in a slimy manner. The moderators have removed some of his/her disgusting comments regarding the personal life of some of those on the roster/staff more than once.

I think we all pretty much understand the guy with the added "s" at the end of his name. Thanks for your continued info.

Reactions: JAMAM and cyberhawk
The last I talked with one of the Iowa coaches, she is definitely on their radar. Traditionally a position of strength (largely because that is the prime area of focus for Coach Bluder year in and year out).

I would tend to agree with Cyberhawk, they need to identify and sign a legit center. Megan's graduation is clearly going to leave a huge hole, combine that with Stewart graduating as well and the front court is going to take a hit.

Hopefully Gustafson has changed Coach Bluder's mindset about bigger/physical posts not being able to play up-tempo at a high level.

Thanks non-poster. I've been worried about the front court for some time as I said in my last post. After what the staff has done with Megan Gustafson I had hoped it would make Iowa more attractive at that position and they would have landed some quality front court help in this class. I just hope they can finish strong here in the coming months or spring if need be.

Reactions: fish1hawk
Crestwood has a post player that looks pretty solid...I saw her at a Martin Brothers workout but I'm not sure who is recruiting her. Her name escapes me right now.

Crestwood has a post player that looks pretty solid...I saw her at a Martin Brothers workout but I'm not sure who is recruiting her. Her name escapes me right now.
Guessing Sharon Goodman. I don't think they have any size beyond her.

The last I talked with one of the Iowa coaches, she is definitely on their radar. Traditionally a position of strength (largely because that is the prime area of focus for Coach Bluder year in and year out).

I would tend to agree with Cyberhawk, they need to identify and sign a legit center. Megan's graduation is clearly going to leave a huge hole, combine that with Stewart graduating as well and the front court is going to take a hit.

Hopefully Gustafson has changed Coach Bluder's mindset about bigger/physical posts not being able to play up-tempo at a high level.

Thanks non-poster. I've been worried about the front court for some time as I said in my last post. After what the staff has done with Megan Gustafson I had hoped it would make Iowa more attractive at that position and they would have landed some quality front court help in this class. I just hope they can finish strong here in the coming months or spring if need be.
Not much faith in Monika?

Reactions: JAMAM
Not much faith in Monika?
I'm being serious when I say I'm not sure the manner in which your asking that question.

As a Freshman, there is undoubtedly going to be a learning curve for her. Next year, she will also be replacing the best post in program history since Toni Foster. Any experience at that position also graduates with Stewart. From what I've seen in person, Ramos (while a good athlete) is not the most physical of centers.

Last season: Gustafson 26ppg and 13 rpg. Stewart 7ppg and 4.5rpg

To ask any one player to replace that would require recruiting another All-American. I don't think it should be viewed as not having faith in a young player to pick up that level of production entering her sophomore season. Instead I think it would be better to develop more depth, likely with different players who have different skill sets, at that position.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Paula Ramos didn't get a lot of minutes last year, but she was productive in those. Extrapolated out to starter minutes she averaged a double-double. Of course she got end of the game minutes, but she also was sharing the court with other bench players.
She has length and a shooting touch. Rebounds well. A bit slow of foot on defense, whuch leads to reaching and fouling.
I like what I have seen from Monika Czinano. She is also 6-3 and strong. Isn't afraid to mix it up. Can shoot it out to 15 feet with touch. She isn't going to score 26ppg, but I could see some 20 point games in her future. Good rebounder. She knows how to post up and call for the ball. Will body up on defense. She still needs some conditioning to be able to run the court, but if she follows Megans lead, she can be a good post for the Hawks.
Neither is another Megan, but the country has very few that are.
Jan Jensen does a great job of developing posts.From Jaime Cavey to Morgan Johnson, Bethany Doolittle, Megan Skouby.

I love MG, but we got very inside focused later in the season. I'd like to see more balance going forward, even if it means fewer points out of the post.

All the respect in the world oak.....but you cannot compare Ramos's mop up minutes last season to those she would get from tipoff to final horn. Especially in competitive games against the best in the conference from other teams. As I mentioned in my other post, she is a good athlete. But she doesn't play a very physical style.

Unless the coaching staff pulls a rabbit out of their hat, it doesn't appear that another center is on the horizon in the next couple of recruiting classes. Czinano is going to have to log a lot of minutes. I agree that she has great potential, but her learning curve will be high. Center is a position that usually requires a couple of years for a player to fully develop.

While she will likely have a 20 point game here and there, my point is with the graduation of both Meyer and Stewart after this season, the roster will need to replace an average of 33 ppg and 17rpg.

The question posed to me was if I didn't have any faith in Czinano. That's not the case at all. But It is not realistic to ask/expect her to try reproduce that type of production as a sophomore, nor by herself.

Reactions: JAMAM
It is all a guess on Paula. She logged so few minutes it is hard to tell where she is at. In the early scrimmage this year she did look stronger but, yes, she isn't that physical. Her shot is accurate but she is slow getting it off. My hope is that she becomes a player that can log some minutes.
Her minutes were mop up last year, with the end of the bench players, which makes it difficult to assess. Her long arms got her some rebounds, and she wasn't afraid to go right back up with it.
Maybe she can use Hannah as an example. Hannah looked lost as a FR. She has worked hard and become a solid contributor.

Tangela has a nice Hawkeye career.
While at Iowa, Smith was named Big Ten Player of the Year in 1998 and won the Chicago Tribune Silver Basketball in 1996. She was a first team All-Big Ten pick in both 1996 and 1998 and helped lead the Hawkeyes to Big Ten regular season titles in 1996 and 1998 along with a Big Ten tournament championship in 1997. She ranks in school history in blocks (235), rebounding (859) scoring (1,598).

I love MG, but we got very inside focused later in the season. I'd like to see more balance going forward, even if it means fewer points out of the post.
They went inside because of Megan and didn't add the guard offense back in because of injuries.

Last edited:
I have been skeptical of these allegations from the beginning. I think most members that have posted on this subject are also indefinite. Only a few seem to be certain of their opinion. If you know the identity of this troll, can you confirm whether or not he/she is local to Iowa City? I suspect not.
Does not live in Iowa City but rather to the southeast

It appears that 2020 recruit Sharon Goodman, 6’2” C from Crestwood (Cresco) committed to Iowa today. I’ve seen her name mentioned a few times here, but I don’t know anything about her other than what’s been posted in this thread.

DlfwIyMX0AA9Jeb.jpg

I thought it was just a matter of when for Sharon. Good scorer and rebounder.I mentioned last year that she keeps the ball up high like Megan. Nice touch on the bank shots. Needs to be more aggressive on defense, but with the way fouls are called in HS she was cautious. All State and All Tournament for undefeated state champs. Two years to improve before Iowa.

Last edited:
Sharon averaged 19.9 ppg and 7.1 rpg as a Soph. Shot 74.8% from the field and 75.6% from the FT line.
She was double teamed most of the time.
Goodman is a developing talent, no doubt. Saw her in Ames over the summer and thought upside was exciting. Also saw that she needs to be challenged more. Much like Wetering, who started off slow this past summer after high school season, then was a force in July for her summer team as she again adjusted to the speed and physicality of the game at a high level. Goodman needs that challenge, in my opinion. She needs to defend and try to score against higher level kids. It will speed up her progress and have her more prepared for college ball.

Reactions: gageboy
Regrettably, The Buckeye's recruited a superstar guard for 2019... looks like she will be a Katie Smith, Kelsey Mitchell type contributor. Plus, they have 2 other top shelf players coming in for the same class. This year's team has 4 freshmen, 3 from last year's team and 5, count them, five, graduate transfers!

Last edited:
IIRC, K-State's was 6-7 last season. A few years ago, Baylor's Griener was 6-8. UCLA had a 6-9 (who had health issues and did not play). A while back, even UNI had a 6-7. Going way back, Iowa's Lisa Becker (now Porter, mother of 4 Missouri players) was 6-4 and that was unusual for the time, though not now.

Sharon Goodman is listed at 6-2. She has a wingspan that is wider than most 6-2 players.
For Iowa's game, 6-3 works for a post, if they can move and have strength. Morgan Johnson was 6-5, Bethany Doolittle 6-4, Megan Skouby was 6-6, Jaime Cavey 6-3.
Right now they have Monika Czinano at 6-3.

This is an updated list of top 2019 recruits from WBB Blogger @Raoul_000; note that Iowa isn’t a contender, but Ohio State, Rutgers, MSU, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Northwestern are all listed at least once (OSU and then - quick scan, I believe - Rutgers multiple times). Is this a scholarship #s issueor a general recruiting problem? Is Iowa going after top recruits? Or is Bluder trying to pull a Ferentz now? And I don’t count the current senior class in that category - Megan, Hannah, and Tania were all ranked top 100, so no excuses there. Thoughts?

https://wbbblog.com/2018/04/14/2019-class-finalists/

Jan Jensen always says they are bringing in top young guns, but I don’t know what that means. It seems like when a commitment is announced, the recruit is not highly rated. I suppose WBB is not as efficient as on the men’s side in regards to recognizing the country’s top talent? Is this true?

Jan Jensen always says they are bringing in top young guns, but I don’t know what that means. It seems like when a commitment is announced, the recruit is not highly rated. I suppose WBB is not as efficient as on the men’s side in regards to recognizing the country’s top talent? Is this true?
No. They know who the best players are. At AAU tournaments the big names are sitting around the same courts watching the same kids.

I think she is complimenting a recruit without saying who they are...making them feel important.

Reactions: JAMAM and hooper56
Sharon Goodman is listed at 6-2. She has a wingspan that is wider than most 6-2 players.
For Iowa's game, 6-3 works for a post, if they can move and have strength. Morgan Johnson was 6-5, Bethany Doolittle 6-4, Megan Skouby was 6-6, Jaime Cavey 6-3.
Right now they have Monika Czinano at 6-3.
I forgot Skouby, should have mentioned her. Though it wouldn't have been ideal in a regular season game, I remember her bringing the ball upcourt and hitting 3 pointers in the GTL.

This is an updated list of top 2019 recruits from WBB Blogger @Raoul_000; note that Iowa isn’t a contender, but Ohio State, Rutgers, MSU, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Northwestern are all listed at least once (OSU and then - quick scan, I believe - Rutgers multiple times). Is this a scholarship #s issueor a general recruiting problem? Is Iowa going after top recruits? Or is Bluder trying to pull a Ferentz now? And I don’t count the current senior class in that category - Megan, Hannah, and Tania were all ranked top 100, so no excuses there. Thoughts?

https://wbbblog.com/2018/04/14/2019-class-finalists/
They were having a lot of success with many top 100 kids in the class you mention and the Doyle/Meyer class too. That momentum with top 100 kids has appeared to stall for whatever reason as the ones they were in on have committed to other schools. Hopefully getting back in the NCAA Tournament last year (likely this year) will get that momentum going again with the top players. I am hoping this years FR class exceeds their ranks, was excited about Kate Martin's athletic ability and when I asked Oak here about Tomi Taiwo he said she moved around a lot so she was likely under ranked/recruited.

No. They know who the best players are. At AAU tournaments the big names are sitting around the same courts watching the same kids.

I think she is complimenting a recruit without saying who they are...making them feel important.
You're exactly correct Tom!

Unfortunately the rumors of all the transfers has circulated through the high school ranks. It would be wise for Bluder and Jensen to address the issue. As you can see the only recruits Iowa is getting now is from life long Iowa fans. Wetering, Goodman, and Meyer who are blind to the rumors. It's time to bring Vivian Stringer back. She could recruit.

Unfortunately the rumors of all the transfers has circulated through the high school ranks. It would be wise for Bluder and Jensen to address the issue. As you can see the only recruits Iowa is getting now is from life long Iowa fans. Wetering, Goodman, and Meyer who are blind to the rumors. It's time to bring Vivian Stringer back. She could recruit.
Historically, Bluder has had very few girls transfer out so...not sure what you are talking about. What has there been? 3? One missed her boyfriend and moved back closer to home, so not sure how that's the staff's fault.

Historically, Bluder has had very few girls transfer out so...not sure what you are talking about. What has there been? 3? One missed her boyfriend and moved back closer to home, so not sure how that's the staff's fault.
He's bitter about Whitney Jennings who was homesick. She also got recruited over when a better point guard for the system, Tania Davis, signed with Iowa. Bluder was tough on Jennings demanding she get everyone involved when she was a shoot first point guard. The transfers he's alluding to are only in his mind, Iowa is well below the national average in that category.

You asked why the top recruits aren't coming to Iowa and I told you. You may not like to hear it, but it's the truth.

You asked why the top recruits aren't coming to Iowa and I told you. You may not like to hear it, but it's the truth.
No. Lisa hasn't been putting together top 10 recruiting classes anyway so 2 transfers don't have anything to do with her not beating out Geno for players. Good grief.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
ADVERTISEMENT