ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

Jinaya Houston's HS career came to an end one game short of the state tournament.Johnston banked in a miracle 3 to send the game to OT and then pulled it out. Jinaya scored 31 points in her first full game action in weeks, after suffering a high ankle sprain. Next should be GTL.

Jinaya Houston's HS career came to an end one game short of the state tournament.Johnston banked in a miracle 3 to send the game to OT and then pulled it out. Jinaya scored 31 points in her first full game action in weeks, after suffering a high ankle sprain. Next should be GTL.
That loss was exactly like so many Iowa losses over the last 40 years. As soon as the kid from Johnston let it go you knew it was dropping. She could throw that up another 50 times and not make it. Just painful.

Reactions: Tunadog and HIWILLE
That loss was exactly like so many Iowa losses over the last 40 years. As soon as the kid from Johnston let it go you knew it was dropping. She could throw that up another 50 times and not make it. Just painful.

Here's the shot for those interested.

Didn't see the game. Was it a fluke? Should we have fouled and given them two free throws?

Reactions: HIWILLE
Here's the shot for those interested.

Don't know where to ask this, so I'll ask it here.What's with the Union sending teams all over the state AND not even at neutral courts for regional finals. There's
dav. North at Johnston, of course, Pleasant Valley at Waukee, Centennial at IC, SEPolk at ICWest, Linn Marr at Dowling. Is the separating close-in-area schools due to seeding or what? But at least the Boys Assn. has its Sub-states at neutral courts the last I knew.

The top 8 seeds get home court throughout substrate for girls only. Boys and girls are two separate governing bodies, thus, can have separate rules. Puts a lot of importance on regular season record. Those 8 seeds are like gold. Johnston and Dav. North was 8 vs 9.

Don't know where to ask this, so I'll ask it here.What's with the Union sending teams all over the state AND not even at neutral courts for regional finals. There's
dav. North at Johnston, of course, Pleasant Valley at Waukee, Centennial at IC, SEPolk at ICWest, Linn Marr at Dowling. Is the separating close-in-area schools due to seeding or what? But at least the Boys Assn. has its Sub-states at neutral courts the last I knew.
It's very interesting how the top 6 teams in the CIML get put into different brackets. They often get 5 to state. The MAC co-champs had to play on the road. North beat 2 ranked teams, then lost to Hempstead who was solid on a Saturday, after an overtime game against PV, and with 3 losses, dropped to 9th from 4th, 1 spot behind Johnston with 4 losses. North's other losses were to North Scott - at State for 4A, and Illinois #2 ranked Rock Island.

It gets a little fishy when it looks like this year after year.

Reactions: BDinIC
It's very interesting how the top 6 teams in the CIML get put into different brackets. They often get 5 to state. The MAC co-champs had to play on the road. North beat 2 ranked teams, then lost to Hempstead who was solid on a Saturday, after an overtime game against PV, and with 3 losses, dropped to 9th from 4th, 1 spot behind Johnston with 4 losses. North's other losses were to North Scott - at State for 4A, and Illinois #2 ranked Rock Island.

It gets a little fishy when it looks like this year after year.
Your math needs a little work. Indianola, IC West, IC High and Cedar Falls not in CIML, had home court throughout and advanced to state. Dowling, Valley, Johnston and Waukee the other 4.

Indianola is in the CIML.

BTW rookie, I would like to thank you for your enthusiasm for the Iowa WBB and your contributions to this thread. I do appreciate it, however, I would also like to point out that Tom Paris is an HR Legend and has over 4,000 likes and more than 100 trophy points. I don't know exactly what a trophy point is but I am very certain that it means that he is highly regarded and respected in this forum.

Last edited:
Indianola is in the CIML.

BTW rookie, I would like to thank you for your enthusiasm for the Iowa WBB and your contributions to this thread. I do appreciate it, however, I would also like to point out that Tom Paris is an HR Legend and has over 4,000 likes and more than 100 trophy points. I don't know exactly what a trophy point is but I am very certain that it means that he is highly regarded and respected in this forum.
Indianola is not in the CIML. Check your facts and get back to me. It's okay, not looking for a fight. But, don't throw "Legend" and "trophy points" at me. We're not disputing an opinion, just a fact that neither of you have correct. I do enjoy reading both of your posts and will continue to do so. Sorry I didn't check the scoreboard for "points" before I posted........

Reactions: blackett73
Indianola is not in the CIML. Check your facts and get back to me. It's okay, not looking for a fight. But, don't throw "Legend" and "trophy points" at me. We're not disputing an opinion, just a fact that neither of you have correct. I do enjoy reading both of your posts and will continue to do so. Sorry I didn't check the scoreboard for "points" before I posted........
http://www.cimlcentral.org/g5-bin/client.cgi?G5genie=79

Your math needs a little work. Indianola, IC West, IC High and Cedar Falls not in CIML, had home court throughout and advanced to state. Dowling, Valley, Johnston and Waukee the other 4.
Also, after double checking...you need to check the regional brackets...what I said is fact. The TOP SIX CIML teams by record, not counting Indianola, were in SIX different brackets. Like I said.

It's frustrating for other programs/conferences outside of Des Moines.

Also, after double checking...you need to check the regional brackets...what I said is fact. The TOP SIX CIML teams by record, not counting Indianola, were in SIX different brackets. Like I said.

It's frustrating for other programs/conferences outside of Des Moines.

I beg your pardon Hawkbuck70 for any alarm I may have caused you with my defense of TomParis. It's just that your first sentence seemed a bit condescending or disrespectful and I like very much for the WBB threads to remain civilized. We don't always need to agree to have peaceful discussion.

With regard to the facts of the disagreement, I actually did check first and provided the link which you may not realize was imbedded in the underlined term CIML. It is the same link as the URL provided by TomParis. (If the links don't work in your browser, you can copy & paste it to the URL field in your browser) To continue, if the cimlcentral.org webpage does not prove that Indianola is, in fact, a member of the CIML, then I don't know what does. Now if you believe this website to be in error, (which of course is not totally out of the realm of possibility), could you please present evidence to the contrary. Otherwise, no apology is necessary but a simple response such as 'I stand corrected' or some other such acknowledgment would represent a metaphorical handshake. Ok?

Reactions: Tom Paris
You shouldn't be questioning Tom Paris on this, just for the record.
I don't necessarily think it's wrong to question anyone, even a HR Legend like TomParis. We are all fallible. I just think you do so 'with all due respect' and also, whenever possible, [do what I have done since I was a rookie to earn respect] provide a link to justify yourself.

Indianola is in Little Hawkeye conference. End of argument on that. City High had home court last two years prior to this one to advance to state. Lost to Johnston and then Southeast Polk last year at home. Both of those CIML teams were middle of the pack in the CIML. If middle of the pack teams are beating top teams from the east, then why would the state not spread them out. The point is to get the best teams to state. Your sour grapes is over Davenport North. North had that game won, I was there. Johnston, down 3, has ball underneath own basket with 2.5 seconds left. North coach calls TO when Johnston had none left. Good TO if you, on dry erase board, put all 5 of your defenders outside the 3. Only a 3 ties the game. Johnston can not stop clock after a made 2. This idiot has all 5 of his very talented team guarding inside the 3. LET THEM HAVE A TWO. GUARD WHAT ONLY CAN BEAT YOU (or in this case tie you). Davenport North was the best team and Jinaya Houston was fantastic. Would have home court guaranteed North a win......as I.C. High the last two years. Oh, and by the way, Indianola is not in the CIML. Apologies will be forthcoming. Don't be afraid to say I'm sorry...............Justin Bieber did.

Monika is a true post player who really likes to play down on the block. She has very good hands and feet, and she knows her role
Quote from All Star Girls Report on Monika Czinano.
Monika is averaging 16.3 ppg on 68% shooting. Her team plays in the state quarterfinals on Saturday.

I don't necessarily think it's wrong to question anyone, even a HR Legend like TomParis. We are all fallible. I just think you do so 'with all due respect' and also, whenever possible, [do what I have done since I was a rookie to earn respect] provide a link to justify yourself.
With all due respect, I don't need to provide a link. I am right. Indianola not in CIML. As the boys in Wedding Crashers would say, "provide me with an updated family tree". Their link, showing Indianola in CIML is old. They just seem so darn sure of themselves, I'm waiting for the "you're right".

Indianola is in Little Hawkeye conference. End of argument on that. City High had home court last two years prior to this one to advance to state. Lost to Johnston and then Southeast Polk last year at home. Both of those CIML teams were middle of the pack in the CIML. If middle of the pack teams are beating top teams from the east, then why would the state not spread them out. The point is to get the best teams to state. Your sour grapes is over Davenport North. North had that game won, I was there. Johnston, down 3, has ball underneath own basket with 2.5 seconds left. North coach calls TO when Johnston had none left. Good TO if you, on dry erase board, put all 5 of your defenders outside the 3. Only a 3 ties the game. Johnston can not stop clock after a made 2. This idiot has all 5 of his very talented team guarding inside the 3. LET THEM HAVE A TWO. GUARD WHAT ONLY CAN BEAT YOU (or in this case tie you). Davenport North was the best team and Jinaya Houston was fantastic. Would have home court guaranteed North a win......as I.C. High the last two years. Oh, and by the way, Indianola is not in the CIML. Apologies will be forthcoming. Don't be afraid to say I'm sorry...............Justin Bieber did.
Again...the top 6 CIML teams went to 6 different brackets. That's what I said. They didn't have to play each other. Yes North got screwed, 2 weeks before by the rankings. And if you think the North "idiot" had his team guarding inside the three, or told them to, which you are implying, you are flat wrong. This is fact. Too many times kids do the exact opposite of what they are told. When they play an entire season by instinct, and then are told to do something completely different in a pressure situation, flukes like that tend to happen. Wardlow had the kid guarded extremely well. The girl hit a pure luck shot.

With all due respect, I don't need to provide a link. I am right. Indianola not in CIML. As the boys in Wedding Crashers would say, "provide me with an updated family tree". Their link, showing Indianola in CIML is old. They just seem so darn sure of themselves, I'm waiting for the "you're right".
You are right about Little Hawk conference. In my original post, I never counted them as one of the 6, however.

Again...the top 6 CIML teams went to 6 different brackets. That's what I said. They didn't have to play each other. Yes North got screwed, 2 weeks before by the rankings. And if you think the North "idiot" had his team guarding inside the three, or told them to, which you are implying, you are flat wrong. This is fact. Too many times kids do the exact opposite of what they are told. When they play an entire season by instinct, and then are told to do something completely different in a pressure situation, flukes like that tend to happen. Wardlow had the kid guarded extremely well. The girl hit a pure luck shot.
So, he calls a timeout, says only guard the 3 point line, the kids completely ignore him and do what they want to do. Hmmm, doesn't add up. You stand outside the 3 as soon as you break the timeout huddle. If Johnston puts all their players inside the 3, then so be it, again, a 2 does not help them. There shouldn't even be a sneaker inside the 3 point line if you are Dav. North. I guess you can blame the kids, if you want, but I choose to fault the adult in charge on this occasion. Poor use of a timeout. Plus, you let Johnston draw up a play when they didn't have a TO to do so.

You are right about Little Hawk conference. In my original post, I never counted them as one of the 6, however.
But, you did provide me a link showing me that Indianola was in the CIML. Your original post has merit, but your bias for the east is what I countered with when talking about Iowa City High the last two seasons losing at home to middle of the road CIML teams. It runs in cycles................

But, you did provide me a link showing me that Indianola was in the CIML. Your original post has merit, but your bias for the east is what I countered with when talking about Iowa City High the last two seasons losing at home to middle of the road CIML teams. It runs in cycles................
I respect your opinions, but don't think because your a "Legend" and I, a Rookie, that I won't take an opposite side to your stance. Only to have others tell me not to question the "Legend".

So, he calls a timeout, says only guard the 3 point line, the kids completely ignore him and do what they want to do. Hmmm, doesn't add up. You stand outside the 3 as soon as you break the timeout huddle. If Johnston puts all their players inside the 3, then so be it, again, a 2 does not help them. There shouldn't even be a sneaker inside the 3 point line if you are Dav. North. I guess you can blame the kids, if you want, but I choose to fault the adult in charge on this occasion. Poor use of a timeout. Plus, you let Johnston draw up a play when they didn't have a TO to do so.
Why do you think the North coach called the timeout then? The previous possession Johnston got a WIDE OPEN 3 attempt. You see the result. Not the process. And I don't know why you are talking about IC High. That does nothing to argue what I originally said. 6 CIML teams were in 6 different brackets. Is that incorrect? No. The regions show that. The thing you don't get, is that the rest of the girls fans and coaches in the state get frustrated when almost every year the CIML gets 5 teams to State.

I respect your opinions, but don't think because your a "Legend" and I, a Rookie, that I won't take an opposite side to your stance. Only to have others tell me not to question the "Legend".
And I don't call myself a legend. I certainly don't think that way. This is just a sore subject for me.

Why do you think the North coach called the timeout then? The previous possession Johnston got a WIDE OPEN 3 attempt. You see the result. Not the process. And I don't know why you are talking about IC High. That does nothing to argue what I originally said. 6 CIML teams were in 6 different brackets. Is that incorrect? No. The regions show that. The thing you don't get, is that the rest of the girls fans and coaches in the state get frustrated when almost every year the CIML gets 5 teams to State.
I didn't know you were speaking on behalf of the "rest of the girls fans and coaches in the state", but, quite frankly, the CIML has had the better teams in this current cycle. Southeast Polk, Dowling, Waukee and Ankeny Centennial, I believe, have won the last 4. While, teams like Iowa City High, can't advance to state playing middle of the road CIML teams with home court advantage. It argues exactly to my point, which is that you want more eastern teams in the state tourney when they can't beat some of the middling CIML teams. Johnston, wasn't the best team in the CIML this season, Dav. North, if as good as YOU think they are, should have beat them. So, what you want is the CIML to be split into just a few substates and let them fight it out while "some" teams from the east can advance, but not be among the 8 best teams. The point is that the State Union feels that the CIML has the better teams and that is why they spread them out. Not hard to figure out. This current year could be different, we will know more after tomorrow.

I didn't know you were speaking on behalf of the "rest of the girls fans and coaches in the state", but, quite frankly, the CIML has had the better teams in this current cycle. Southeast Polk, Dowling, Waukee and Ankeny Centennial, I believe, have won the last 4. While, teams like Iowa City High, can't advance to state playing middle of the road CIML teams with home court advantage. It argues exactly to my point, which is that you want more eastern teams in the state tourney when they can't beat some of the middling CIML teams. Johnston, wasn't the best team in the CIML this season, Dav. North, if as good as YOU think they are, should have beat them. So, what you want is the CIML to be split into just a few substates and let them fight it out while "some" teams from the east can advance, but not be among the 8 best teams. The point is that the State Union feels that the CIML has the better teams and that is why they spread them out. Not hard to figure out. This current year could be different, we will know more after tomorrow.
You always want the best teams playing for a championship, but when the sponsoring organization is making that decision as you state ("State Union feels that the CIML has better teams...) that is problematic. This manipulation of the brackets has been evident in other sports as well.

You always want the best teams playing for a championship, but when the sponsoring organization is making that decision as you state ("State Union feels that the CIML has better teams...) that is problematic. This manipulation of the brackets has been evident in other sports as well.
The best 8 teams are at state this year in 5A. I would have been fine had Dav. North made it also, because it would have been nice to see Houston get one more chance. But, contrary to Paris defending his son Wardlow, who sucks, they blew it. They had Centennial down in the game last year at state and he made no adjustments as Ankeny stormed back to beat them. This year he couldn't beat a Johnston team with 2 freshman on the floor and a still young coach on the bench. But, hey blame the kids. Paris' defense of the coach is ridiculous and insulting to his "legendary status". "You see the result, but not the process"........really?? You call timeout, you tell the 5 on the floor to stand outside the 3 and guard that line. Before they leave the huddle you make sure they understand the instructions. My guess is he did none of this and thus, his timeout only assisted Johnston in drawing up a play to ultimately defeat them. Paris wants us to believe that he did give those instructions, but the kids did otherwise. Paris says I am "flat wrong" and "that is a fact". Are you Wardlow? If so, resign. If that's the case, they are where they belong, at home.

It's gone on for years. The State HAD to move soccer from Muscatine to Des Moines too. The money has to go Des Moines it seems.

The best 8 teams are at state this year in 5A. I would have been fine had Dav. North made it also, because it would have been nice to see Houston get one more chance. But, contrary to Paris defending his son Wardlow, who sucks, they blew it. They had Centennial down in the game last year at state and he made no adjustments as Ankeny stormed back to beat them. This year he couldn't beat a Johnston team with 2 freshman on the floor and a still young coach on the bench. But, hey blame the kids. Paris' defense of the coach is ridiculous and insulting to his "legendary status". "You see the result, but not the process"........really?? You call timeout, you tell the 5 on the floor to stand outside the 3 and guard that line. Before they leave the huddle you make sure they understand the instructions. My guess is he did none of this and thus, his timeout only assisted Johnston in drawing up a play to ultimately defeat them. Paris wants us to believe that he did give those instructions, but the kids did otherwise. Paris says I am "flat wrong" and "that is a fact". Are you Wardlow? If so, resign. If that's the case, they are where they belong, at home.
Now you are just being a dick. I was fine conversing with you before this post. There isn't any reason to go any further with you.

The top 8 seeds get home court throughout substrate for girls only. Boys and girls are two separate governing bodies, thus, can have separate rules. Puts a lot of importance on regular season record. Those 8 seeds are like gold. Johnston and Dav. North was 8 vs 9.
Of course I know boys and girls are separate governing assns. But why can't the girls have neutral courts, too?

Now you are just being a dick. I was fine conversing with you before this post. There isn't any reason to go any further with you.
"Now you are just being a dick"..........not very legendary like. Sorry, you are offended, but your defense of the Dav. North coach is laughable. A few of the college coaches in attendance, that I walked out with, said, and I quote, "that coach just cost his team a trip to state." Not that their opinion is the end all, but it was pretty evident, to all there, that the coach blew it. I didn't realize that you are beyond reproach on this board and still haven't heard from your army any apology for questioning you about Indianola not being in the CIML after you insisted they were. And I never called you a dick.........

Of course I know boys and girls are separate governing assns. But why can't the girls have neutral courts, too?
The girls did play Substate finals on neutral courts up until about 3 seasons ago. The Union decided to play those finals games at highest seeds home court.

"Now you are just being a dick"..........not very legendary like. Sorry, you are offended, but your defense of the Dav. North coach is laughable. A few of the college coaches in attendance, that I walked out with, said, and I quote, "that coach just cost his team a trip to state." Not that their opinion is the end all, but it was pretty evident, to all there, that the coach blew it. I didn't realize that you are beyond reproach on this board and still haven't heard from your army any apology for questioning you about Indianola not being in the CIML after you insisted they were. And I never called you a dick.........

You, too, can apologize when you realize that Indianola is not in the CIML.

Apologize to you? Nope

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT