ADVERTISEMENT

Welp….

DT seems like he will be a very calm and courteous coach. He is robotic but magical. He has always been gracious in defeat and that will continue in his coaching career.
2017 Final X. DT swearing at Zadick in his face after losing to Cox.

I think the biggest fear of those that don’t want a coaching change at Iowa is that you’ll bring in somebody that won’t openly personify that famous Iowa toughness. Many Iowa fans only want to win “The Iowa Way.” Maybe you can weave it into the interview process: “before we can extend an offer, please say the expression ‘you big pu$$!’ like you mean it. Go.”

Got any better ideas currently? I am being serious
I don’t have anything that could compete with what OSU just did and I don’t think I could find a Band-Aid big enough to cover this shotgun blast by another powerhouse. I said TnT should have been gone years ago and Spencer bailed them out. My 7th grade gym teacher was teaching the same techniques as TnT. I’m over it, been over it. TnT reliving their glory years style through Iowa wrestling is like running the wishbone in todays NFL.

So did Okie St. just forget they had a wrestling program the last 20 years?
No. Maybe.

The world forgot. David Taylor is changing that. And he apparently went after the job. So Okie State appears to have been content with status quo CS hire. Looks like DT may have single handedly woke them up in Stillwater.

Reactions: vhsalum
It’s time for Beth to earn her salary and if can’t find a replacement for head coach now or after this next season then the assistant coaches and/or HWC coach need to change. We need someone that is a recognized name for this generation of recruits. If not this program is a snowball rolling downhill gaining speed

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
So what did Cael do when he left ISU for PSU? Who is Starocci talking to?

He said he didn't leave for a big bag of cash because of loyalty? but then he also puffs his chest out for being the highest paid college wrestler at 1.25 million. He was paid to stay.
^^^this^^^

I don’t have anything that could compete with what OSU just did and I don’t think I could find a Band-Aid big enough to cover this shotgun blast by another powerhouse. I said TnT should have been gone years ago and Spencer bailed them out. My 7th grade gym teacher was teaching the same techniques as TnT. I’m over it, been over it. TnT reliving their glory years style through Iowa wrestling is like running the wishbone in todays NFL.
They are too stubborn thinking just harder work will help. Well what that’s has created is guys being banged up by the enfo of the season. They forget how much weight they used to cut and could cut when the wrestled so they were bigger and stronger than most everyone else. Can’t do that today. The style and technique of today has passed them by and have refused to change or adapt. I think the perfect current example of the “ Iowa” style of being physical and in shape combined with today’s style and techniques is Messenbrink. That’s what they need to strive to get our guys to be like. They take recruits that come in from being very successful from what they learned in a club like Young Guns and unsteady of building on that adding our conditioning and physicality. They take them and try to mold them into techniques that used to work. Then we end up with guys mainly hand fighting with limited offense.

Outside of that blurb about Gilman maybe going with DT to OSU, any other news or insights on DT's assistant plans? Possible Scott stays on, other former PSU guys like Nolf, Hall, etc, or current PSU assistants??

He is a hell of a lot more of an answer than what we have going on now.
Definitely agree. He will pull in the recruits from PA and NJ and will also pull the studs from out west. And Okie State has the resources. If I'm not mistaken they have a billionaire who just loves Okie State sports. I see a lot of success for DT and Okie State, and I don't think it's 5 years away.

Okie State just put themselves on the map again. Didn’t care for they way they wrestled on the edge but respected the Hell out of the Smith family. Taylor will bring a different style of wrestling for sure and with the money behind him look out people the Cowboys will back. One thing to think about is wrestling does not really have a pro sport they do not have a lot of options after wrestling so the money that will be thrown at these kids will be a big deal. The biggest question for me is will or how long does he stay there. Congratulations to the Cowboys on the BIG and BOLD move!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Okie State just put themselves on the map again. Didn’t care for they way they wrestled on the edge but respected the Hell out of the Smith family. Taylor will bring a different style of wrestling for sure and with the money behind him look out people the Cowboys will back. One thing to think about is wrestling does not really have a pro sport they do not have a lot of options after wrestling so the money that will be thrown at these kids will be a big deal. The biggest question for me is will or how long does he stay there. Congratulations to the Cowboys on the BIG and BOLD move!
I don't see him going anywhere unless PSU or possibly Ohio State opens up. They had a small uptick in excitement going already around the program with the change of Scott coming on and Smith eventually retiring. Taylor just ramped the excitement level through the roof. All the other big name programs have had at least some changes recently with staff or how they operate that have boosted their programs. Iowa's last change was adding Denis to HWC which didn't move the needle at all mainly because the HWC has been literally a nothing burger in the first place outside Spencer Lee joining. Then you have a facility upgrade which will be nice but is not going to create a huge buzz or make the actual wrestling better outside of a possible small boost in trying to recruit. The last and only thing to generate a large buzz at Iowa is Spencer Lee joining the program, that has been it. You take away Spencer Lee and it's a wasteland of excitement. The two things that build the most excitement in college wrestling are changes that generate excitement for future improvement (what Okie State just did) and excellence on the mat, winning a lot (See PSU).

Last edited:
Yes, money is the name of the game these days. He’s the reason they’ve seen an uptick in recruiting. He might be able to single handily outspend the PSU dynasty. It would be ironic, as money was a huge component to getting them on top.
bolded part isn't accurate. #1, they haven't seen an uptick in recruiting and #2, Richison hasn't donated anything to okst till this point.

not busting your ba!!s, just correcting.

People on here regularly underestimate the immediate impact Cael had at Iowa State. Look at his results compared to what came immediately before and after his tenure, including 3 straight Big 12 championships in all three years for a school that hadn't won one in 15 years prior and wouldn't again until this past year. No, he didn't win a national championship there and yes, the resources at Penn State that he didn't have at Iowa State are a huge part of the dynasty that he's built at Penn State, but he had an unmistakable immediate impact on ISU's fortunes as well, and I believe he would have won at least one national championship if he had stayed there, too, just not 13.

VgjyRLB.jpeg
100%

it's simply the most inaccurate, oft-repeated thing on this board for the last 15 years.

well, that and the thought that Jden Cox or JB will coach in college.

There is a fundamental difference in philosophies.

For Brands, it's a battle. They want to intimidate and out-tough you—"win at all costs." For Sanderson, it's a game. They want to wrestle free, and score points—"it's okay to lose".

Iowa has a record of 7-2 against Okie St. in the last decade. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues or if the clash of philosophies will again favor the 'fun' guys.

Last edited:
There is a fundamental difference in philosophies.

For Brands, it's a battle. They want to intimidate and out-tough you—"win at all costs." For Sanderson, it's a game. They want to wrestle free, and score points—"it's okay to lose".

Iowa has a record of 7-2 against Okie St. in the last decade. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues or if the clash of philosophies will again favor the 'fun' guys.
Spencer Lee is the only intimidating wrestler from Iowa in 10 years. TnT can't even do "the Iowa Way" right. 5 years and counting down until We try something new!

Spencer Lee is the only intimidating wrestler from Iowa in 10 years. TnT can't even do "the Iowa Way" right. 5 years and counting down until We try something new!

I don't think that's entirely true. Desanto for one, surely intimidated opponents purely by his pace and conditioning alone. He beat guys more skilled than him with that pace and attack rate. Suriano being one. But I agree that Spencer has been Iowa's only truly dominant wrestler in the past decade.

I don't think that's entirely true. Desanto for one, surely intimidated opponents purely by his pace and conditioning alone. He beat guys more skilled than him with that pace and attack rate. Suriano being one. But I agree that Spencer has been Iowa's only truly dominant wrestler in the past decade.
I agree 100% Desanto intimidated almost everyone. The sad part is guys like Suriano, RBY, Gross that he proved he could beat made the adjustments needed for future matches and we couldn’t.

No, I love Iowa wrestling. Always have, always will.
I didn't start hating psu, until you douche canoes all decided to come over here.

Be honest, you started hating PSU when they started dominating the college wrestling world.

You show such extreme hate to any PSU fan who posts anything on here. Always telling them/us to get lost and off of YOUR fan page.

I come to this page because I love wrestling and there are really only three active college wrestling forums. Despite lots of immature battles on here, that really is some great wrestling discussion. Unfortunately, a lot of it does get drowned out by PSU troll and Iowa extremists.

yep, I'll give desanto.. Good call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT