ADVERTISEMENT

Welp….

we don't like it.
Nobody likes it. I think there’s absolutely things Tom should be doing to improve our team (better coaches, more effective training/scrambling, better recovery, better recruiting). I don’t think he should get extended for another contract, and I want the best candidate possible for this position in 2029 not just appointing Spencer. If Spencer’s senior level career consists of multiple world gold medals and an Olympic gold I would be all for him becoming the head coach.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Only 3 coaches have won championships since 2010. Only 2 have won multiple. I don’t get what you’re getting at? Brands delivered a championship 4 years ago. OSU haven’t been on top for 20 years and they refused to fire Smith. Whether anyone likes it or not Toms finishing his career on his terms.
I wasn't getting at anything, just getting the facts straight. Of course, everyone already knows where I stand.

Agreed. Go get Scott at least and see who comes with him. Plus gets some new blood and ideas into the program.
I don't see a whole lot of people leaving their school to follow a 1 year coach because they don't want to wrestle for Taylor. The only turnover they might have is guys leaving after getting bumped out of a spot with the talent Taylor will be landing.

Only 3 coaches have won championships since 2010. Only 2 have won multiple. I don’t get what you’re getting at? Brands delivered a championship 4 years ago. OSU haven’t been on top for 20 years and they refused to fire Smith. Whether anyone likes it or not Toms finishing his career on his terms.
If our administration wants to do nothing and Tom is happy leading the program into further irrelevance then I guess it is what it is.

I see our recruiting lagging and I see our coaching ability lagging, Tom doesn’t seem willing to make the changes needed to move the team forward. That’s what frustrates me when I see the Pokes making a move.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I wonder what Scott is thinking right now
Scott got ****ed, and we are ****ed. They were doing better in recruiting than they have in years before bringing in a big PSU name . If there was any doubt about Forrest going to okst, that should be a done deal now. Maybe he will even pull Basset away from PSU and tOSU. Right now we are fighting with Cornell and Michigan to be the 4th best team from here on out, with okst being 2 or 1 with PSU, and tOSU should be 3 with all the talent they keep accumulating. Hard to believe Scott left a pretty good head job to be an assistant at his almamater with an old coach about to retire, if wasn’t sure he was the head coach in waiting. Will Taylor keep him for now, just to lock in some recruits who he probably played a big part in recruiting? The only way this was a good move by Scott is if they told him he was out, to make room for Koll to come back.

the writing is on the wall and has been for awhile now

The writing became apparent to me when:
  1. Iowa refused to schedule PSU in State College when the two schools did not have an in conference dual, after PSU had visited Carver.
  2. Iowa refused to follow the previously agreed to National Duals pairings and face Virginia Tech.
Recruits and their parents may have reasonably perceived these actions to reveal the mantra "it's all about competing" as hollow words. Avoiding competition is not the mindset the best young wrestlers seek from their leaders.

I expect Ok St could annually schedule PSU. I wouldn't be surprised if that dual replaced Iowa on their schedule. That would be another blow to Iowa prestige and the Gable legacy.

Start with breathing in and then out. If you can do that without difficulty, you are selling yourself way short. Appealing to a broader audience is pretty much on par in difficulty level….
You do know that stretch objectives literally have nothing actually to do with yoga, don't you?

Reactions: Pennstate1985
You do know that stretch objectives literally have nothing actually to do with yoga, don't you?
Difficulty level being the key part of my response should have easily answered that question, but we already agreed that you aren’t very perceptive…

Make no mistake, there are very few on here I count on to have any, even if it is their “fullest”.
Hey, Hey - no reason to insult the innocent bystanders. Plus, just like the tough guy finding out there is always someone tougher.........

I knew it was coming but not from you ya prick...
Animated GIF

Reactions: Gutt15 and GiApet
So I've read. That's okay. You'll never be as perceptive as MSU. He is a dog that won't let go of the bone. Ever.
On here, that is a pretty fair assessment. In "real life", not so much. My 9 year old OWNS ME in that department. If I have ever won anything against her, she has yet to let me know!

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I will never understand the “Cael is unbeatable so why change things” mentality. Even if that was true, it’s not like Iowa is the clear 2nd place every year. There are holes all over the roster, recruiting seems to be trailing off, and in general the program lacks any excitement around it. Not a rosy picture of the future

And mocco
one domino with the taylor hiring that people haven’t brought up here is the askren connection. ben thinks highly of dt and the have the connection through pnl.

ok state is going to get plenty of awa guys moving forward.

he’s going to get some m2, cormier and awa kids. 3 of the best clubs in the nation.
AND Mocco's boys.

I don’t disagree DT is more proven than the others. I just think it’s important to understand that while DTs style is amazing and a joy to watch he couldn’t crack dake, even Nolf can’t crack dake and Nolfs a wizard. Dake has also shown he is still improving well into his 30s. The longevity is hard to find and he has seemed to master the recovery training cycle. I think if he finds a passion for coaching he would make an elite replacement for a TnT if JB is already elsewhere.
It more about having a big name to get a stable of the best recruits in the country, than it is their style. Our more recent recruits do not wrestle TnT relentless offensive style. They seem more like M Starr.

Reactions: el dub
Only hope is Kyle Snyder.
Taylor off the board means we ride the TnT wave for the next quad at least and hope they either turn it around or Snyder looks at Iowa when he hangs it up. (Which Snyder could easily go another quad after Paris)
So maybe 8 years.

Burroughs doesn’t want to coach.
Dake could be a John smith. All the accolades but may have a hard time getting kids to follow his monk like lifestyle.

On the market right now, Nobody else is a David Taylor as far as coaching prospects to lead a legacy program.

Terry to HWC, Scott as head assistant would be an inspired move. It would be short term, but in terms of possible assistant upgrades, scott’s as good as it gets.

But at this point, the die is cast. In three years, Iowa’s ceiling will be 3rd until Cael retires.

For those who keep whining “he has no experience” you are extremely short sighted. This guy changed the landscape of PA youth wrestling in just a couple years while still training full time. Who talks about Young Guns anymore? It’s all M2 now. He was instrumental in the talent accumulation in the NLWC. He’s one of the most iconic USA wrestlers this century. He’s going to beat the brakes off TNT (i mean morningstar and telford) on the trail and his development record is phenomenal with young wrestlers. He’s the protege of the greatest coach of all time.

Nothing is certain, but he’s the best coaching prospect of all time imo.
Gable had minimal experience . Tom had 1 year head coach experience, which was more than Gable. They turned out ok. The key for OKST was convincing Smith to step down so they didn’t have to fire him to make room for the next generation.

Replace Morningstar with Cox and Telford with Mocco. Bring in Askren for recruiting. All 3 of those names are more valid than the 2 on staff, to younger wrestlers.
Askren would rather have bamboo shoved under his nails than be an Iowa assistant. On Flo he said he and his brother are planning on putting more time into growing their club, and also starting an RTC for senior level guys, which should further hurt HWC with the close proximity.

Your move Tom, doing nothing is not an option. Drive on down to Coleman’s house and personally bring him back. He may not be a “savior” but he sure as shit was a big reason Okie st made strides recently.

Although I agree that it is most likely the right hire for them, Coleman had done a lot to show he could do very well at OkState. On top of that, you have the alumni loyalty factor where I don't think any job would lure him away.

No matter what anyone says, I absolutely believe PSU and OSU are legit concerns if they were to come after DT. Both have college or high school connections for him and are inarguably in areas rich with top notch wrestling in their backyards. Not only would they probably be the 2 clearly most desirable jobs, but they also fit right into his history...
David will be able to fly his newly acquired jet to recruit if need be. The only downfall is the farmland isn't nearly as valuable as Iowas. He will have to buy hay for his cattle herd.

Your move Tom, doing nothing is not an option. Drive on down to Coleman’s house and personally bring him back. He may not be a “savior” but he sure as shit was a big reason Okie st made strides recently.
Coleman Scott should be proud of his time at OSU. The improvement in that program since he joined was noticable, and they were poised to move forward again before DT joined. I think DT was the right hire, but Coleman Scott's stock has risen as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT