ADVERTISEMENT

West Division next year.

David1979

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2013
What do you think the chances of Iowa actually challenging for the division next year?
I think Wisconsin has to be the favorite again but I think Nebraska loses a lot and Minnesota loses its top two offensive weapons in Cobb and Williams. Whoever wins the division will mostly likely get stomped again by OSU.

I think they have enough players to make some noise, but would need to show much more consistency on offense, as well as improve some on defense and some serious improvement in special teams. The offense wasn't as bad in total as some made it out to be, but it was awful for stretches, and that has to change.

I don't know how much Minnesota will fall off. They lose Cobb but they have a couple freshmen that redshirted this last year that I guess have looked really good. One of them is that high rated Jones kid who had to sit out because of grades.

actually pretty good Nebraska is going thru a coaching change, Wisconsin will be replacing their HC for the 2nd straight year and have to replace Gordon and 3 starting OL and they still have Stave as their starting QB

Minnesota has some holes to fill and they have to come to IC after IA having to go there 2 years in arrow, the plus is Minnesota won't have 2 weeks to prepare for IA this season like they did last season

MD a team IA played on the road won't have 2 weeks to prepare for IA,, last season 4 teams had 2 weeks to prepare for IA before IA played them

ISU 2 weeks plus all summer just to prepare for IA
NW 2 weeks but IA beat them
MD 2 Weeks
Minnesota 2 weeks and IA playing the there 2 season's in a row

Originally posted by Clifford C. Clavin:
I think they have enough players to make some noise, but would need to show much more consistency on offense, as well as improve some on defense and some serious improvement in special teams. The offense wasn't as bad in total as some made it out to be, but it was awful for stretches, and that has to change.
A lot of the improvement on D will hinge on how well the 2 new DT's and the new MLB are at stopping the run. Last year the D was solid stopping the run up the middle. Alston had limitations but he was solid stopping the run in the middle. If teams have success running up the gut we could be in serious trouble as the linebackers could still be another year away from being solid and the edge could still have some big holes.

some want to ignore that IA's defense also faced 5 of the top 12 RBs in college FB last season.. but why let facts get in the way of bashing the defense. as it was IA finished 17th in total defense.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

some want to ignore that IA's defense also faced 5 of the top 12 RBs in college FB last season.. but why let facts get in the way of bashing the defense. as it was IA finished 17th in total defense.

Do you have a book full of excuse that is as thick as the bible or what?

What was the excuse for the Bowl Game? No top 5 RBs in that one

You're right we did face 5 of the best RB'S in the nation and this is what we gave up.
Connor 29 for 155yds and 1TD
Coleman 15 for 219yds and 3 TD
Cobb 16 for 74yds and 1 TD
Gordon 31 for 219yds and 2 TD
Abdullah 13 for 106yd
Hurd 16 for 122 and 2 TD

We were 2-4 in those games. To say our Run D was good would be false.

Originally posted by Auger:

You're right we did face 5 of the best RB'S in the nation and this is what we gave up.
Connor 29 for 155yds and 1TD
Coleman 15 for 219yds and 3 TD
Cobb 16 for 74yds and 1 TD
Gordon 31 for 219yds and 2 TD
Abdullah 13 for 106yd
Hurd 16 for 122 and 2 TD

We were 2-4 in those games. To say our Run D was good would be false.
Don't forget the 203 rec yds by UNI RB Johnson or Brown in Maryland game who had 120 yds rushing and team had 240+

"ISU 2 weeks plus all summer just to prepare for IA"

I hope Iowa can sneak up and contend for the West next year so that Ferentz gets another big contract extension.

Lets remember that we lost

Close game to Wisc
OT to Neb
Beat Ill, PU, NW
Clubbed by Minn

We weren't that far off from playing in Indy (and getting beat soundly)

I think Wisconsin drops off in 2015, they won't be bad, just not what they've been the last five years. Who knows how Nebraska will transition into a pro-style offense next year. I think Minnesota is probably the favorite, but losing Cobb is pretty big.

A very average team will have an opportunity to win the West next year, so I think Iowa does have a chance. Let's just beat Iowa State first, though. If we lose that game again, I think the margin of error for Ferentz will be extremely thin. If we lose that game, Ferentz might have to win nine games to keep his job.

We will be a distant 4th.

In order:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa

We play 2 of the other 3 on the road, and the one we get at home beat us 51-14 last year.

I think any of the teams in the West could win it next year minus Purdue. I'm being serious. The West is an absolute trainwreck. As bad as the Big 12 North used to be.

The West will be down for all the reasons mentioned above. Still, the Hawks will struggle and I agree with Doc - Milburn Stone. Fourth in a very down division.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Milburn Stone:
We will be a distant 4th.

In order:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa

We play 2 of the other 3 on the road, and the one we get at home beat us 51-14 last year.
I have to agree with you there. We will be near the middle of the pack. I would assume 4th or 5th. I think the ceiling with this group is maybe 2nd???

Iowa- Loses a lot on the Dline & O Line. Our LB's were exposed was our secondary. We are replacing key components on O&D. Gonna be interesting to see how they develop in the off season.

Wisky- Lost Gordon, but had a dynamic back-up. Kid will be good and their QB's were both solid. Also Chryst is a great coach and will continue to dominate the Big 10.

Minny- Lose cobb, but Kill always finds the players and always has success. Took a little longer at Minny, but he is good one. They had a lot of momentum up there and there is excitement around the program again.

Nebbie- They will be good, new coach will hurt them a little. new schemes I assume. They will have some playmakers back and their defense was young last year. Should be much improved next year.

NW- They are terrible, Iowa should whoop them every year

Illinois- Getting better, signed a nice recruiting class and got some gems from Illinois. Should be pretty good, momentum heading up in champaign.

Purdue- Still struggling, don't see much improvement out this group.

Like the poster said we play the top teams on the road. Early season prediction for the hawks 6-6 next year. I do not think we see any improvement, which sucks.

Originally posted by hoks2415:
I think Wisconsin drops off in 2015, they won't be bad, just not what they've been the last five years. Who knows how Nebraska will transition into a pro-style offense next year. I think Minnesota is probably the favorite, but losing Cobb is pretty big.

A very average team will have an opportunity to win the West next year, so I think Iowa does have a chance. Let's just beat Iowa State first, though. If we lose that game again, I think the margin of error for Ferentz will be extremely thin. If we lose that game, Ferentz might have to win nine games to keep his job.
I don't see how Minnesota can be the favorite. They lose by far their
best offensive weapons in Cobb and Williams. Leidner is still not a
good QB and they don't have good WRs. To me Wisconsin still has to be the favorite. They have shown that their oline is good every year and they will have Clement plus two four star freshman running backs coming in.

This post was edited on 2/6 1:16 PM by David1979

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:I have to agree with you there. We will be near the middle of the pack. I would assume 4th or 5th. I think the ceiling with this group is maybe 2nd???

Iowa- Loses a lot on the Dline & O Line. Our LB's were exposed was our secondary. We are replacing key components on O&D. Gonna be interesting to see how they develop in the off season.

Wisky- Lost Gordon, but had a dynamic back-up. Kid will be good and their QB's were both solid. Also Chryst is a great coach and will continue to dominate the Big 10.

Minny- Lose cobb, but Kill always finds the players and always has success. Took a little longer at Minny, but he is good one. They had a lot of momentum up there and there is excitement around the program again.

Nebbie- They will be good, new coach will hurt them a little. new schemes I assume. They will have some playmakers back and their defense was young last year. Should be much improved next year.

Illinois- Getting better, signed a nice recruiting class and got some gems from Illinois. Should be pretty good, momentum heading up in champaign.

Like the poster said we play the top teams on the road. Early season prediction for the hawks 6-6 next year. I do not think we see any improvement, which sucks.
When has Chryst shown he is a great head coach?

Nebraska loses Abdullah, Kenny Bell and their entire starting offensive line. They also lose I think 5 starters on Defense. They will see a drop off.

Illinois is getting better than bad but they still aren't good.

Originally posted by David1979:
Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:I have to agree with you there. We will be near the middle of the pack. I would assume 4th or 5th. I think the ceiling with this group is maybe 2nd???

When has Chryst shown he is a great head coach?

Nebraska loses Abdullah, Kenny Bell and their entire starting offensive line. They also lose I think 5 starters on Defense. They will see a drop off.

Illinois is getting better than bad but they still aren't good.
Losing Abdullah is will be a big loss. No doubt. There are some highly rated, but young and inexperienced backs that will get throw in the fire next year.

Bell is a good player, but I feel confident about the back ups. Pierson-El played very well last year as a true freshman and Westerkamp is a stud.

The starting OL is not lost. Both guards and the center are gone, but both tackles return. The center was the HC's coaches nephew (and routinely outplayed by his back-up) and a guard who was an assistant coaches kid. Honestly, I think the line will be much improved this year.

Losing Gregory will hurt. DE depth is lacking. LB's will also be thin. Losing Zaire Anderson will hurt. Rose (LB) and Alexander (S) would have started last year if it wasn't for injury and suspension. So that will help next year.The DB's should be very good.

The coaching staff and scheme change is the big wild card. Only time will tell, but I would expect there to be a little step back just due to the new scheme.

Originally posted by Jaddy2020:
I hope Iowa can sneak up and contend for the West next year so that Ferentz gets another big contract extension.
freddytreeanightmareonelmstreetgif.gif

If Beathard takes every snap, Iowa will have a shot at winning the West. But Iowa's major handicap, much more so than the obvious lack of overall talent, is its own coaching staff, as most of us know. With decent coaching, Iowa would have won the West last year, even with a second-string QB in JR taking almost all the meaningful snaps. It's all about the coaching, and so that doesn't make for much optimism despite the obvious mediocrity that is the Big Ten West.

Everyone was over optimistic about our chances last year and not optimistic enough this year. The way I look at it we have just as good of a chance of winning the West this year as last. Everyone thought we were going to have ten wins with no trouble. You don't have ten wins no matter what kind of schedule you play. Fans like to win games on paper and it doesn't happen that way anymore. Except for the elite programs college football has to much parity. The sooner we get it through our heads that Iowa won't be able to compete with OSU--Michigan or Penn St as long as these three schools have good coaches the better off we'll be. The goal will be to compete with the rest of the schools and I hope KF has enough left in him to turn this around.

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:
Everyone was over optimistic about our chances last year and not optimistic enough this year. The way I look at it we have just as good of a chance of winning the West this year as last. Everyone thought we were going to have ten wins with no trouble. You don't have ten wins no matter what kind of schedule you play. Fans like to win games on paper and it doesn't happen that way anymore. Except for the elite programs college football has to much parity. The sooner we get it through our heads that Iowa won't be able to compete with OSU--Michigan or Penn St as long as these three schools have good coaches the better off we'll be. The goal will be to compete with the rest of the schools and I hope KF has enough left in him to turn this around.
This.

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

Lets remember that we lost

Close game to Wisc
OT to Neb
Beat Ill, PU, NW
Clubbed by Minn

We weren't that far off from playing in Indy (and getting beat soundly)
I almost won the Powerball last night. Only missed it by 3 numbers.

Originally posted by hawk eyedoc:
Slim and None. I don't see more than 5-6 wins.
You are giving our schedule too much credit. We will without a doubt be at 7 wins at least, probably not beating a winning Power 5 team along the way like last year.

And that will make some on here just giddy.

CoachoftheFuture1 posted on 2/6/2015...

If Beathard takes every snap, Iowa will have a shot at winning the West. But Iowa's major handicap, much more so than the obvious lack of overall talent, is its own coaching staff, as most of us know. With decent coaching, Iowa would have won the West last year, even with a second-string QB in JR taking almost all the meaningful snaps. It's all about the coaching, and so that doesn't make for much optimism despite the obvious mediocrity that is the Big Ten West.

Who is most of us? The handful of obsessed, batshit crazy idiots (BSCI) that think like you and ramble on and on about the same shit without providing any emperical evidence to support their childish, impulsive, rants. . There are 10's of thousands of fans who don't think like you and are happily going about their lives.....Seriously, you people are ill...

There are those who like and disklike KF here. 2 constantly defend him no matter what. So Kilroy and foley are you happy with iowas results last few years especially last year? Amazing never nothing mentioned that we need to improve on when people place their opinions on what we are doing wrong. Instead responses are calling other idiots by one and stars and worthless stats by the other. Yet never hear why it's not working or what to change. Because unless 7-5 satisfies you then stuff iowa needs to improve.

iahawkeyes17 posted on 2/8/2015...

There are those who like and disklike KF here. 2 constantly defend him no matter what. So Kilroy and foley are you happy with iowas results last few years especially last year? Amazing never nothing mentioned that we need to improve on when people place their opinions on what we are doing wrong. Instead responses are calling other idiots by one and stars and worthless stats by the other. Yet never hear why it's not working or what to change. Because unless 7-5 satisfies you then stuff iowa needs to improve.

There are so many things wrong with you and your post, I don't even know where to begin....
Let's start with the fact that none of you BSCI crowd even know KF, so how do you come to conclusion that you don't like him? I don't speak for other people like you ill people do, but I do not personally know him. I have met and talked to him about football numerous times (I even had the pleasure of listening in to him and Bill O'Brien talking one day) but I don't know him, don't know if I 'like' him or not. Seems like a good guy.
Since none of you 'know' him, I'll assume your referring to his performance as a coach. Are you qualified to access his performance as a coach? Or, like a child, when you don't win, everything sucks and everybody's stupid. This appears to be the case.....
Apparently you either never read my posts or I speak way above your level of understanding, because I have gone into great detail numerous times about the 'breakdowns' last season and have given my educated thoughts on how and where things need to improve. Unlike you, I realize that I have no control over the outcome and all the ranting and crying in the world is not going to help a thing. You are part of the 'idiocracy' crowd who wants istant gratification. The idiocracy crowd has that 'disposible' mentality. If somethings broke or not working right, just get rid of it and get another one and it carries over to your ability to be a 'fan'.....
Who cares if I am satisfied with their record every year. As George Carlin used to say, "I have no stake in the outcome". I don't live for sports and anyone that does is ill. I would be no happier or sadder whether the Hawks go 12-1 or 4-8, I and 10's of thousands of fans just enjoy watching the games and cheering for our team. Sometimes they are going to lose. Get over it. You'll be much happier. It's not important in the grand scheme of life. Does 7-5 satisfy me? You know what satisfies me, sitting and watching games with my friends and loved ones, having a cold drink and a nice cigar.......

Actually no Matt haven't seen any of your narcissistic post in what they need to do or any breakdown about football. Just you speaking about how great your are and everyone who doesn't think like you is an idiot.

Newsflash just because you are ok with iowa being mediocre is fine. But doesn't mean others can't want iowa to do better. Which is obviously an issue for you since you have to personally respond to anyone who disagrees with your opinion....................!!!!!!! (look I can post endless exclamation points and periods too)

Who said I don't want Iowa to win every game? Logic and philosophy are apparently foreign to you. You made the statement that I never express that Iowa needs to do better, than you say that you don't read my posts, and you wonder why I call you childish idiots. You BSCI crowd just impulsively blurt out shit without a clue to what you are talking about and you just admitted it. You and others can want Iowa to do better all you want, but how is obsessively whining and crying and making insultive comments about coaches and players anonymously on a free forum site behind their backs going to make Iowa 'better'. None of you know a thing about coaching at a very high level and nothing about recruiting, so how do you think your uneducated rants are going to make anyone play better or get great players to come here. Professional coaches spend years and years learning and developing techniques and schemes and you BSCI's think because you watch a handful of games a year somehow you are qualified to critique the coaches and the players. I've watch the space shuttle launch numerous times, does that qualify me to 'fly' one or design one? You folks are just batshit crazy. There's no other way to put it. Just enjoy the games, get a life, and just stfu....

Oh, and by the way, Kilroy has no idea what I'm talking about most of the time, and most of the people on this site agree with me, it's just the handful of the BSCI crowd that keeps wanting to argue with me. Like i've said, Look up Mark Dice's site. You and your crowd are the people he interviews. I swear.
You talk about opinions, what your crowd spews isn't even opinions. You don't even seem to understand what an opinion is. It has to be subjective. You just spew ignorant, unfounded, rants....
This post was edited on 2/8 4:32 PM by MattFoleyHawk

Matt how do you some on here don't know anything or have coached. You don't know everything as well though you've met and bragged about meeting or coach or attending a practice. How who cares. Now plenty of people who have attended iowa coaching clinics or practice who gives an F. Maybe you should take your own advice and stfu because you are probably the biggest dousche who post here.

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
CoachoftheFuture1 posted on 2/6/2015...

Who is most of us? The handful of obsessed, batshit crazy idiots (BSCI) that think like you and ramble on and on about the same shit without providing any emperical evidence to support their childish, impulsive, rants. . There are 10's of thousands of fans who don't think like you and are happily going about their lives.....Seriously, you people are ill...
There are 10's of thousands of fans in Kinnick who are very pissed about the crap they witness on the field, its obvious you don't attend. Take a trip sometime and you will realize the majority of fans do not think like you do Matty boy. I'm assuming you don't behave this way in the real world on a daily basis, because if you did you would be wearing your ass for a hat everyday.

I can tell that they haven't coached or don't know what they're talking about by the way the refer to things. It's not hard. I have never said, insinuated, or implied that I know 'everything', but it's easy for me to indentilfy people that know nothing. I have shared my observations and thoughts about the program based on my knowledge of what the coaches teach and the knowledge of their schemes. I also know the level of people I'm dealing with when the best retort they can supply is 'biggest dousche' and can't even spell it correctly, LMAO...
You expect the Hawkeyes to perform better, well I expect people to stop being stupid, mindless, sheep. You do understand it is a fact that people are getting dumber. Am I supposed to accept that? Try not to be one of them, would ya:)

Are people dumber than they used to be? Were previous generations mentally sharper than us? You may have suspected that people are getting stupider for quite some time, but now we actually have scientific evidence that this is the case. As you will read about below, average IQs are dropping all over the globe, SAT scores in the U.S. have been declining for decades, and scientists have even discovered that our brains have been getting smaller over time. So if it seems on some days like you woke up in the middle of the movie "Idiocracy", you might not be too far off. Much of the stuff that they put in our junk food is not good for brain development, our education system is a total joke and most Americans are absolutely addicted to mindless entertainment. Fortunately we have a lot of technology that does much of our thinking for us these days, because if we had to depend on our own mental capabilities most of us would be in a tremendous amount of trouble.

I rest my case..............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT