ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your hobby?

I gave up all hobbies 12 years ago when my first child was born. My youngest is six… So I’m guessing it’s at least 10 more years until I pick up a hobby again.

I’ve never understood how other married with children people my age have friends or hobbies… I’m not sure I could do that without feeling like a really shitty husband and father.
So much this. We do a ton of stuff together; just got back from hiking all over New Hampshire. But these are family events - not my hobby.

My FIL wants me to take gold lessons so I can golf with him. Which is awesome and would be great. But when would I do that? My family doesn’t golf. This is just one example. I’ll pick up a hood hobby one day but it won’t be before the kids graduate.

Reactions: ping72
Woodworking (mid-century modern) and cooking.

uBEOITO.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Same here for the most part.

The only time I "charge for my work" is reselling stuff I've fixed up that I picked up for free, otherwise "you pay for parts" and if I got time to fix something I'll crank it out for friends. I've lost count of lawn mowers and snowblowers I've found on the curb and hauled away, got running, and sold off. Maybe somewhere around oh...25 of them through the years. Mostly lawn mowers, but a handful of blowers too.

The only time I had a "business" was that brutal winter a few years back. Repair shops were backed up a couple months across town. Fixed up a bunch of blowers for people charging them $20 per hour + parts. I also did a bunch of driveway blowing in the neighborhood - that made me lots of money. I think most people simply got tired of shoveling every 3-4 days and I had a blower powerful enough to throw snow above and over the piles.

Most times it's something relatively simple, OPE repairs. Carb rebuilds, new belts, etc. I've repaired quite a few computers through the years, installed new routers etc. Lots of plumbing fixes, faucet fixes. Back in the day a few DSS dish re-aiming, cable repairs, etc. "I don't have any reception, why?" A few rooftop antenna installs recently for cord cutter friends.

Post derecho, I was very busy. I was the guy in my immediate neighborhood with a couple chains saws and gas/oil/spare chains. Lots of trimming limbs off homes, cutting trees down to pickup bed size. I was paid in me keeping the nicest pieces for firewood. Hell, that next summer I still was doing some tree work around the neighborhood. People would knock on my door saying "hey remember that tree you cut down off my roof? I need to get that pieced out and hauled away". That was half my summer break last year, cutting up trees and hauling the nicest pieces to my cabin. I've got firewood all over my property up there now.

This summer I helped my nephew fix up his boat trailer and boat lights wiring. Changed out his water pump impeller too. Installed a ceiling fan for a cabin neighbor, trimmed down some overhanging limbs of a tree, too - "pay me with a bottle of Cedar Ridge" - and they did.

Keeps me busy...
I have found many jobs are easy fast fixes, broken wires, dirty gas, bad plug, broken gaskets. People will spend big $s on equipment and never take care of it.

I gave up all hobbies 12 years ago when my first child was born. My youngest is six… So I’m guessing it’s at least 10 more years until I pick up a hobby again.

I’ve never understood how other married with children people my age have friends or hobbies… I’m not sure I could do that without feeling like a really shitty husband and father.
You would feel like a shitty father/husband for having friends? Your oldest kids don't have any hobbies that you enjoy just as much, or rather a hobby of yours you passed on to them that you can do together? This feels like a troll post.

I have found many jobs are easy fast fixes, broken wires, dirty gas, bad plug, broken gaskets. People will spend big $s on equipment and never take care of it.
One of my first questions to a person who brought his/her mower to me in the spring was:
where did you store this for winter?
I'd get answers like under the back porch steps. First thing I did was check for water in the gas and change it out.

The only time I had a "business" was that brutal winter a few years back. Repair shops were backed up a couple months across town. Fixed up a bunch of blowers for people charging them $20 per hour + parts. I also did a bunch of driveway blowing in the neighborhood - that made me lots of money.

Keeps me busy...

Last edited:
Fishing and sitting on the beach all day. Both tend to lead to day drinking as well so that probably counts as a hobby. This time of year though we will do less of both since football has started. We'll try to get out on the water early so we can be back to watch games. And day drink.

Took my 4 year old to a brothel. Sounds like we all went home with fishy smelling hands.
You'll be happy to note that "that smell" is a compound known as n,n,n triethanolamine. It was my organic lab unknown. I remember opening the vial in lab and a cute swimmer girl next to me turn red haha. The good ole' days.

Reactions: Derekd3408
As for my hobbies, I basically have ADHD as I have a ton of them apparently at least judging by the other responses. I wouldn’t even say I have a favorite hobby.

But right now my hobbies in no particular order are:

1) Travel, mainly in the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean where I take several big long trips a year either driving to and from Tally, flying to a spot and renting a car and returning it at the return airport or cruising to a port and renting a car for my own ”excursion”. In addition to landscape photography associated with the travel, I love to hike the best shorter (1-6 hours) hikes in the area, try the local pizza, try the local bbq (if in an area known for it), try the local ethnic or unique regional food items and then hit up the local museums, zoos, theme parks and/or aquariums.
2) Photography, mainly landscape with a little wildlife photography thrown in. It’s usually but not always tied into #1.
3) Home cooking, grilling and smoking, I’ve got a fair amount of ethnic and regional cookbooks that I read over plus a lot of Youtube channels I review. And I love to experiment by mixing cuisines and seasonings, very seldom do I keep to the recipe when I know it can be improved mid-cooking.
4) Fossil collecting which is frequently mixed in with #1 as I love to go to public dig sites for a day and look around as well as go to local Florida, North Carolina and Virginia fossil beds in public areas. My current favorite items that I own are a textbook/museum grade example of a large crinoid; a Columbian Mammoth (largest elephant species about twice as big as a Wooly Mammoth that lived in Iowa) molar I found in Wakulla Springs; a large sauropod neckbone I picked up in Wyoming and a large Mosasaurus mortuary plate with lots of teeth, neckbones and pieces of the skull intact.
5) I’m a fish keeper with two large warm water coral reef tanks, a coldwater marine tank, and two large freshwater planted tanks.
6) I also collect retro game consoles, handhelds and electronic games. I’ve got a museum quality collection of ancient (ie 71-00s) electronics. My current favorites are an original 1972 Magnavox Odyssey with all physical addons included (more than just the later “Pong” machines, it played dozens of games using screens you placed over the TV set and physical components like cards, dice, chips and playboards), the very first game console from Nintendo which is an off white first production model of the Color Tv Game-6, and a pink “Lady” model Epoch Super Cassettevision which was the first game system specifically designed for women. I currently have every generation of game system represented with all common and several unusual models as well as hard to find variants for some of the newer systems representing the first generation (the original Magnavox Odyssey and early Pong units) through to my new Playstation 5.
7) Woodworking but it’s more accurate to say furniture restoration. I don’t have a shed or enough garage space to have the equipment necessary to do really excellent pieces from new wood, but I do love to pick up antiques at estate sales and refurbish them for myself or to give to others as gifts.
8) Tennis. My wife and I play doubles frequently although we’re not in a league or “serious” about it.

Fishing and sitting on the beach all day. Both tend to lead to day drinking as well so that probably counts as a hobby. This time of year though we will do less of both since football has started. We'll try to get out on the water early so we can be back to watch games. And day drink.
Beach fishing is the best... love catching and eating ( black drum / sheephead / pompano / flounder ) from the Gulf..

Last edited:
I'd like to say fishing but I went once this year. My boys never seem to want to go.

I'd like to say golfing but I haven't played a full round in a decade. The shanks will do that to a man. Used to be my passion.

The fact is, I don't think I have a hobby anymore which is kind of sad and damn near depressing.

I usually do whatever a kid is doing I guess.

It has been rugby but my time playing that is winding down. In 2024 I'll be going on a tour of Australia for rugby and I'm pretty sure I'll be calling it quits after that. I've been lucky not having many huge injuries but I can tell at 32 I'm not nearly as skilled, fast, or (and this is the bigger part) as hungry to go out there and kill/get killed.

I've been considering Muy Thai, boxing, and jiu-jitsu. I doubt I'd go in a ring against another person but I'd like the training and workouts. I've done boxing/kickboxing in the past and loved it. A couple friends compete in jiu-jitsu and a couple Muy Thai (not just training, but actual fights) and they love it.

Start a YouTube channel, there's good money to be made. Wear a bikini and catch some fish and you'll draw a lot of eyes. Sure, there will be a ton of nasty comments, but views are views.
I’m already fleshing out ideas for a YouTube channel, but they include me fully clothed.

Reactions: Moral
I have a 10" Meade reflector and never got around to astrophotography. Maybe I should think about that.
Depends on the speed of your mirror, coma and coma correction and what mount it's on. Glad to help you if you need help.

See, then you have to be really good. Those Gale Force twins lost me because they're just ok at fishing and are always covered up. I can find better fishermen or chicks with less clothes on other channels. But combine them and I'm watching!
Google Victoria Stark. Naughty naughty and fish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT