ADVERTISEMENT

What are the "normal" office hours where you work?

In general - what are the "normal" office hours where you work?

• 6am-3pm

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 6:30am-3:30pm

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 7am-4pm

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • 7:30am-4:30pm

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • 8am-5pm

Votes: 44 41.5%
  • 8:30am-5:30pm

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • 9am-6pm

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 9:30am-6:30pm

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 10am-7pm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other / OP's mom works long, irregular hours

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
I get that it's not a simple question because of leeway/flexibility, working form home, meeting the needs of individual clients, seasonality, busy season, etc. But, just in general, what would you say the "normal" hours are where you work?

I get that it's not a simple question because of leeway/flexibility, working form home, meeting the needs of individual clients, seasonality, busy season, etc. But, just in general, what would you say the "normal" hours are where you work?
Everyone starts earlier now (since they are no longer commuting). This sucks and makes me want to take the balls or ovaries of anyone who schedules early calls and shove them down their whore throats.

That being said, we all tend to wrap up in time to pick up kids from school and get left alone after 3pm and I enjoy this very much.

I own my own business so I'm technically always working. I think I sent and received 10 emails after 10:30 last night. But 8-5 are the hours my customers expect me to be available.

half of our office team is 7-3:30 and the half is 8-4:30

we pretty much give the employee the option to pick whatever works best for their family

Reactions: NDallasRuss
6:30 - 16:00 for me, that wasn't listed so went with other. My department has people start at 5:00 and people work until 17:00 when 2nd shift takes over.

Usually get in between 7 and 7:30, leave between 4 and 5. Respond to emails until about 7pm most nights.

If we're talking about responding to emails and taking phone calls then I haven't had a break or vacation since Feb 2020 when I went to Cabo. Of course, I have been on vacations but I ALWAYS answer emails, texts and calls from clients as long as I am awake and sober (which is exactly what I tell them when I am trying to gain a client).

Everyone starts earlier now (since they are no longer commuting). This sucks and makes me want to take the balls or ovaries of anyone who schedules early calls and shove them down their whore throats.

That being said, we all tend to wrap up in time to pick up kids from school and get left alone after 3pm and I enjoy this very much.
I feel like since we went to working remotely, people are a LOT more intolerant at the thought of Friday afternoon meetings, and way more willing to schedule things between Noon-1pm.

Reactions: kkhawk
If we're talking about responding to emails and taking phone calls then I haven't had a break or vacation since Feb 2020 when I went to Cabo. Of course, I have been on vacations but I ALWAYS answer emails, texts and calls from clients as long as I am awake and sober (which is exactly what I tell them when I am trying to gain a client).
I'm the same - if it's a simple email response I'll usually write back, but if it's going to take me some time and effort and I'm on vacation, they'll get a response that I'll have to respond properly when I return to the office.

As a side conversation, anyone sending emails after 8pm (except in case of urgent matters) is inconsiderate, unless the recipient expects the late night emails. If not, the sender is simply dumping their anxiety on someone else. If you need to work late, schedule the email to be sent at 7am (or similar time) the next morning.

We used to be 8 to 5. Now, out of 50 office staff only about 5 of us go to the office. None of the admin go to the office which just pisses me off. It’s odd to not have support staff at the office.

It sounds like it is going to be like that for awhile.

As a side conversation, anyone sending emails after 8pm (except in case of urgent matters) is inconsiderate, unless the recipient expects the late night emails. If not, the sender is simply dumping their anxiety on someone else. If you need to work late, schedule the email to be sent at 7am (or similar time) the next morning.

Then how do they know what a go getter I am? My favorite emails are those I send between 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM

I’m retired but our office hours were 8:30-5 for support/hourly. I was in Management and salaried so I usually never left before 6:30 along with other Managers unless they had little ones in day care.
My work week was around 50-55 hours and I was expected to answer my phone 24/7. Don’t miss that at all,

11:00-11:15. Or so.

I don't necessarily keep regular hours. Sometimes I will work late at night and then sleep in the next day. I generally don't start before 9am and generally try not to work past 6pm but if someone needs something and it is outside of those hours I will take care of it. If someone wants a more complicated itinerary (I'm looking at you Europe), I like to do those late at night when I know I won't be interrupted. Hence, the sleep late the next day thing. I do because I can.

Core is 8:30AM to 5:30PM but like others have mentioned, I am emailing and reviewing reports 6Am to 10:30PM. As such, the core 8:30Am to 5:30PM is riddled with breaks and errands as I see fit and not like it once was where you cranked out everything and checked out until the next morning arrival.

Core is 8:30AM to 5:30PM but like others have mentioned, I am emailing and reviewing reports 6Am to 10:30PM. As such, the core 8:30Am to 5:30PM is riddled with breaks and errands as I see fit and not like it once was where you cranked out everything and checked out until the next morning arrival.
Working form home has at least allowed me more chances to run errands as I get breaks throughout the day, rather than waiting until I've left the office and headed back towards the house.

Reactions: noleclone2
And, FWIW, my normal hours are ~9:30am-6:30pm. Some mornings I may have an 8am or 8:30am call, but even then I will take the call and then go back upstairs to wake up, have breakfast, etc.

We switched to Four 10's shortly after the pandemic hit. Most people work 6:30am-5pm, but I usually work 7:30am-6pm.

Hell, it's all over the place. Some people show up at 6 and leave at 3 to try and beat traffic. Others come late and stay late. Unless there are meetings, but that's typically only between 9 and 5.

8-5 in one office, 9-4 in the other two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT