ADVERTISEMENT

What are the Odd Ferentz Would Retire?

Mar 14, 2003
and bow out gracefully? Because if he doesn't and these trends keep up then I am afraid it could get ugly. That would definitely tarnish the good that Ferentz has done. If he retires this year or even next, he can still bow out gracefully and leave in good standing.

There are only 6 SRs on the offensive 2 deep roster. And only 5 SRs on the defensive 2 deep roster. My thoughts are that KF feels like he has a young team this year and it will be much better next year. And he has no problem putting 7-5 football teams on the field and feeling good about it.

Reactions: iowa surfer
I don't care if it's the Odd Ferentz or the Normal Ferentz my Ferentz fatigue is at an extreme high. I'm ready for a change but I think his end game is for Brian to be head coach which means some time as OC when GD moves on.

I think it would take a ton of pressure from donors and the administration to force Kirk to retire. I think If this season ends like it looks like it will you will see a drop off on interest and sales next year and I don't see things changing next year bc he will likely keep Davis. They will struggle again and I think Barta will be forced to fire and the program will be forced to pay his buyout.

Never happen, but doesn't matter. If KF announced his retirement tomorrow we'd be welcoming new head coach Brian Ferentz. Barta is the problem. As long as he's AD Iowa's football program is going to stay in the Barta/Ferentz sandbox. New AD will want to put his/her own new mark on the program. Until then, we're screwed.

Kirk Forever will not retire and hang on as long as Iowa allows it to try and set up Brian Forever as the new head coach. The whole program reeks of ineptitude/nepotism starting with Barta IMO. This is nothing new and has been for several years.

I personally am running out of years and my goal for the last 10 has been to last longer than KF. Sadly, not sure that is going to happen for me. I reminisce about the Hayden days, we used to think we could beat anybody on a given Saturday.

Never happen, but doesn't matter. If KF announced his retirement tomorrow we'd be welcoming new head coach Brian Ferentz. Barta is the problem. As long as he's AD Iowa's football program is going to stay in the Barta/Ferentz sandbox. New AD will want to put his/her own new mark on the program. Until then, we're screwed.
Agree. Barta getting the axe is the critical step. If he is gone, then it opens wide the possibility of transitioning from KF.
As long as Barta is there, it will take 3 consecutive poorly performing seasons(6-6 or worse) for anything to happen on the coaching front.

That's a bad mindset because Iowa will be 5-7 AT BEST next year

Not sure about 5-7...but the schedule toughens up a bit in conference play that's for sure. @MSU, @NEB, @NW, @WISCY, Ohio State at home. Wyoming will not be a easy home game and I'd expect ISU to be bad...but improved in year two of MC.

I personally am running out of years and my goal for the last 10 has been to last longer than KF. Sadly, not sure that is going to happen for me. I reminisce about the Hayden days, we used to think we could beat anybody on a given Saturday.

Hayden was the best coach in Iowa history. But, let's not pretend he didn't lose plenty of games. In his last 10 seasons, Iowa had 4 losing seasons and one .500 season. At the end, fans were every bit as tired of him as they are of KF.

Under KF, Iowa has been a below average to poor offensive team - and I can't figure out why. I don't care if they run first, pass first or run reverses on every play, Iowa has been consistently in the bottom 1/2 of the B1G (and this is a conference that has traditionally been below average on offense). It doesn't make sense to me that Ferentz wouldn't expect the offense to perform better.

Agree. Barta getting the axe is the critical step. If he is gone, then it opens wide the possibility of transitioning from KF.
As long as Barta is there, it will take 3 consecutive poorly performing seasons(6-6 or worse) for anything to happen on the coaching front.

Let's see .... Iowa just built a $zillion football building and they're planning to build a $90 million end zone at Kinnick. Iowa played in the B1G championship and went to the RB just one year ago. The President of the U approved a big extension on KF's contract.

Yep. Barta is probably going to get the ax soon. :rolleyes:

Reactions: naturalmwa
Let's see .... Iowa just built a $zillion football building and they're planning to build a $90 million end zone at Kinnick. Iowa played in the B1G championship and went to the RB just one year ago. The President of the U approved a big extension on KF's contract.

Yep. Barta is probably going to get the ax soon. :rolleyes:

Didn't say that it was likely. In fact, I think it's highly improbable.

Odds are significantly in favor of Barta as the AD and KF coaching there for several years to come.

There are only 6 SRs on the offensive 2 deep roster. And only 5 SRs on the defensive 2 deep roster. My thoughts are that KF feels like he has a young team this year and it will be much better next year. And he has no problem putting 7-5 football teams on the field and feeling good about it.
I don't see it being much better when we lose CJ, King and possibly Jaleel also. Daniels will be a bigger loss also than people think.

Hayden was the best coach in Iowa history. But, let's not pretend he didn't lose plenty of games. In his last 10 seasons, Iowa had 4 losing seasons and one .500 season. At the end, fans were every bit as tired of him as they are of KF.

Under KF, Iowa has been a below average to poor offensive team - and I can't figure out why. I don't care if they run first, pass first or run reverses on every play, Iowa has been consistently in the bottom 1/2 of the B1G (and this is a conference that has traditionally been below average on offense). It doesn't make sense to me that Ferentz wouldn't expect the offense to perform better.
Too conservative is why they are below average. It doesn't just resonate with the actual play, but it resonates with recruiting as well. Players simply see what we have and are bored by it.

If you want Kirk gone, you need to get Brian a HC job somewhere else for a couple years to cut his teeth at running a program. When Kirk feels Brian is ready to take the reins, he'll ride off into the sunset.

Hayden was the best because he surrounded himself with guys that wanted to be head coaches. KF surrounds himself with guys that want to make money and have a home life too. That's why our recruiting is average.

Barta believes that 7-5 is the number of wins that will keep the fans happy and showing up to the season ticket window. Otherwise he wouldn't have written it into the new contract as the line of minimum expectations.

You always hear analysts and fans talk about the continuity at Iowa. The fact that recruits know that KF is going to be here for the long haul. What has that gotten us in the recruiting arena? Is that what's getting us our 35-50 ranked recruiting classes? If that's such a great selling point, I'd hate to see what would happen to it if the wheels really came off.

Reactions: David1979
Kirky is an average coach, that no fan understands...

Odd Ferentz, fairly odd Ferentz,

Really mod, pea pod, buff bod, hot rod,
Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose, guava juice,
Giant snake, birthday cake, large fries, chocolate shake!

It flips your lid when you are the team with
fairly Odd Ferentz!"

Kirky is an average coach, that no fan understands...

Odd Ferentz, fairly odd Ferentz,

Really mod, pea pod, buff bod, hot rod,
Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose, guava juice,
Giant snake, birthday cake, large fries, chocolate shake!

It flips your lid when you are the team with
fairly Odd Ferentz!"

I'm so glad I don't have to listen to that kid's voice any longer. I couldn't stand that show when my kids were younger.

Not sure about 5-7...but the schedule toughens up a bit in conference play that's for sure. @MSU, @NEB, @NW, @WISCY, Ohio State at home. Wyoming will not be a easy home game and I'd expect ISU to be bad...but improved in year two of MC.

They could very will miss a bowl game next year. Possibly this year even.

We are looking at 6-6 this season. Maybe even 5-7. After PSU beat OSU, I think it's likely they beat us off of that momentum. Then we have to go to Illinois.

I don't believe - by his choice - that KF ever finishes that contract.

2020 give or take a year on either side tops.

and bow out gracefully? Because if he doesn't and these trends keep up then I am afraid it could get ugly. That would definitely tarnish the good that Ferentz has done. If he retires this year or even next, he can still bow out gracefully and leave in good standing.

You need a jump to conclusion mat.

We have lost 3 close games. Last year we won all of our close games minus MSU. I find it hilarious that last year he was a genius and now he has no idea what he is doing.

You need a jump to conclusion mat.

We have lost 3 close games. Last year we won all of our close games minus MSU. I find it hilarious that last year he was a genius and now he has no idea what he is doing.

Talk about a conclusion jump.

I really enjoyed last season. It was fun. I was smart enough not to get my hopes up for this year. I wasn't going to let KF fool me a 3rd time.vthat wasn't going to happen. Too bad Barta wasn't smart enough to learn from history.

Reactions: kcgolfer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT