ADVERTISEMENT

What are your odd habits, ticks, or idiosyncrasies

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Apparently, according to my family, I have a weird habit of not closing door and drawers, leaving them open constantly about an inch or so.

I also cannot stand anything to be crooked or out of place. It was so bad on active duty, people would constantly jack with me, slightly moving stuff on my desk to see if/when I'd notice. Our senior civilian LOVED to tilt a picture in our conference room right before a staff meeting. I'd walk in, sit down and eventually see it during the meeting. One day I interrupted the Commander to get up and straighten it. He asked what I was doing, so I pointed to Kevin and said, "Ask him." My OCD was pretty well known.

Apparently, according to my family, I have a weird habit of not closing door and drawers, leaving them open constantly about an inch or so.

I also cannot stand anything to be crooked or out of place. It was so bad on active duty, people would constantly jack with me, slightly moving stuff on my desk to see if/when I'd notice. Our senior civilian LOVED to tilt a picture in our conference room right before a staff meeting. I'd walk in, sit down and eventually see it during the meeting. One day I interrupted the Commander to get up and straighten it. He asked what I was doing, so I pointed to Kevin and said, "Ask him." My OCD was pretty well known.
100% on that. Everything must be straight and in its place. Ugh, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I get told I tap my foot too much to music. I guess that really annoys some people. 🤷‍♂️

I'm right all of the time. A lot of people find it annoying.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

One of my longest lasting ones is I save the original packaging of a good amount of stuff I buy. Like I’m going to get retail value when I sell at garage sale 3 years later because of the box. I have a few bins of just tech boxes.

You're asking this group ???? Holy hell, be ready to be freaked out !!!

I am bothered by the sound of people eating, especially when people try to talk while chewing, I sometimes even don't like the sound of my own chewing! Accordingly, I really don't care for the traditional family meal around a dining table. I usually end up eating quickly and waiting for it to be over.

Love going out to bars/restaurants to eat, plenty of ambient noise, and am all in favor of having the TV or stereo on in the background for meals at home.

I do the same with speaker volume. Odd numbers are cringe.
Something similar. On my stereo, the baseline position I set the volume is at -20.00 and I adjust the volume up or down from there. If down it goes to -22.50, -25.00, -27.50, etc. If up it goes to -17.50, -15.00, -12.50, etc. It has to be that way in my mind. If someone leaves it on something like -18.50 it bothers me.

When pumping gas, the price needs to end on a 0 or 5, preferably at .00, .25, .50, or .75.

I am bothered by the sound of people eating, especially when people try to talk while chewing, I sometimes even don't like the sound of my own chewing! Accordingly, I really don't care for the traditional family meal around a dining table. I usually end up eating quickly and waiting for it to be over.

Love going out to bars/restaurants to eat, plenty of ambient noise, and am all in favor of having the TV or stereo on in the background for meals at home.

What about bag crinkling?

There’s actually a term for it as I’ve diagnosed my wife with it Misophonia

Last edited:
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
What about bag crinkling?

There’s actual a term for it as I’ve diagnosed my wife with it Misophonia

Bag crinkling doesn't do much, I can't really think of any other sound that I react to in a similar way as to the chewing/talking while chewing sound.

In general I'm fairly tolerant of noise and audio distractions, but for whatever reason the sound of chewing while in a quiet environment bothers me way more than what is normal. So since I know I'm the weird one, I try to mitigate the exposure, but mostly just accept the bother.

Reactions: Moral
I have one of those toilet seats that lowers on its own slowly once you flip it to go down. So, I pee, then flop the top of the seat down to start it going. The problem with that is not everyone has one of those seats. So, when I go to someone's house and use their toilet, I slam the living shit out of to where everyone in the house thinks someone dropped a frying pan in the bathroom. And I do it several times, because I'm an idiot and usually getting drunker with each trip.

I apologize to homeowners a lot.

One of my longest lasting ones is I save the original packaging of a good amount of stuff I buy. Like I’m going to get retail value when I sell at garage sale 3 years later because of the box. I have a few bins of just tech boxes.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

I just mailed a Canon sd1000 camera from the early 2000s to my daughter (she wanted a classic camera). When she got it, she sent me this message, "Only YOU would have all the original packaging, manuals, etc. LOVE U!"

canon_powershot_sd1000_1625454145_0adfc770_progressive.jpg

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

I just mailed a Canon sd1000 camera from the early 2000s to my daughter (she wanted a classic camera). When she got it, she sent me this message, "Only YOU would have all the original packaging, manuals, etc. LOVE U!"

canon_powershot_sd1000_1625454145_0adfc770_progressive.jpg
I save all that stuff too!

Also had (have) that same camera. It’s a great little camera. I dug it out a few years ago when I went to the Masters and wanted to take some pics. Worked like a champ!

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT