ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to country music

I was never a big country fan growing up in my younger days. I started to get into Waylon and some of the old guys and just realized that I really only didnt like modern pop country.

Anyways, if you look hard enough there is actually a great resurgence of REAL country singers right now.

Sturgill Simpson
Tyler Childers
Colten Wall
Margo Price

Start there and branch out.

Guy I went to High School with - Matt Cox

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
It's moved far from the days the cash, Jennings, black, etc. I don't even know what I'm listening to.
Chris Stapleton is what you mentioned in the list - he won more awards last night then others.

Yes there are too many crossovers with hip-hop, but then again we don't know genders anymore, we agree that someone can identify as a butterfly now, men use women restrooms, etc. So the "inclusive" America has really f'd things up.

Hayes Carll
Steve Earl
Lucinda Williams
Gillian Welch
Kacey Musgraves
Rosanne Cash
Lyle Lovett
John Prine
Emmy Lou Harris
James McMurtry
Dave Alvin
John Anderson
Robert Earl Keen
Billy Jo Shavers
Tift Merritt
Shelby Lynne
Lydia Loveless
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Amanda Shires
Todd Snyder
Elizabeth Cook
There is plenty of good country music and performers. One just has too look for it and it won't be on your country music stations except for Sirius' Outlaw Country and a few public stations. I found the country I like on stations like WNCW in Spindale, NC and WSGE in Dalllas, NC

Country music has always sucked. There were parts of being a farm kid that I really liked, but the country music soundtrack that came with it (thanks to my dad) was absolute torture.

Reactions: Chuck C
That is a very cool story.

She's an amazing person.

When Anthony Bourdain came to Nashville to film his show, he spent most of the time with her and her husband.

She got me a picture of them, signed personally to me, from them both.

Easily the coolest thing I own.

I hope to get together with her when I in Nashville over Christmas.

She's the only famous person I know, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I live in the live music capital of the world so we get everything here from willie to keith urban to the dixie chicks to miranda lambert to taxana and Tejano and Americana . pat green and Jason McMaster. stevie ray Vaughan, jimmy Vaughan, david allen coe, metal. county. symphonic metal from finland. death metal. anvil and toni price. in a lot of ways country music has become pop, but some of it is just good old fashioned American song writing.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Saw the Bottle rockets this week. They are in Des Moines tonight for anyone looking for an alt-country outlaw band that has been around forever but nobody's really heard of.

Seems HROT is pretty united in liking modern outlaw country. I wonder why the "country" stations haven't accepted it yet and given it wider airplay than they do the pop and bro country. People seem to like outlaw stuff and it's good music.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Saw the Bottle rockets this week. They are in Des Moines tonight for anyone looking for an alt-country outlaw band that has been around forever but nobody's really heard of.
The pride of Festus, MO. I second this recommendation. Brian Henneman is a great songwriter.

Reactions: DutchyFunStar
Seems HROT is pretty united in liking modern outlaw country. I wonder why the "country" stations haven't accepted it yet and given it wider airplay than they do the pop and bro country. People seem to like outlaw stuff and it's good music.

Because the masses prefer bubble gum country.

Reactions: JWolf74

Duh, cuz we're all so damn cool

The best hillbilly singer in the world sips tea and eats crumpets. England's Charlie Thompson is a throw back to old country music- like from the '20s- early '60s. He's also the top rockabilly cat in the world IMO.

Tons and tons of great Americana going on right now too. Bluegrass, honky tonk, hillbilly boogie, western swing/ hillbilly jazz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT