ADVERTISEMENT

What if the 2015 Hawks had the 2021 or 2022 Hawk defense

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I have been watching some hawk game replays as we move toward the first game. The 2015 had a pretty dynamic offense with CJ throwing to Vandeberg, Smith, K-Coble, and a very good running game and OLine. But I noticed that the defense was not as shut down as some recent defenses. The 2015 defense was very good but losing Drew Ott basically took out an all-american defensive end.

Would the defense of the last two years have shut down MSU more in that title game? And by winning the title game, would the latest defenses have performed really well against a top team in the CFP semifinal, at least?

I look at the 2021 PSU and the 2022 Mich and OSU games for comparison. With the 2015 offense, I would say the hawks might have been the better team than Mich and would have won that game. The defense last year did a great job for a half or more stopping OSU when the offense had little movement or time of possession. Last year's defense with one of the Hawk's best offenses that could control the game, move the ball, and score would have made this game much, much closer. OSU last year did not have a strong defense so the 2015 offense might have had its way with them.

Does the 2015 offense with the defense of the last two years possible get to the CFP and win a game?

Let's see...Lost B10 Title Game, get embarrassed in the Rose Bowl
or MAYBE win B10 Title Game (no guarantees), get embarrassed in CFP

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
We go undefeated but they still are taking Texas and Bama for the NC because they’re blue bloods (despite us having a harder schedule than Texas).
You likely aren't wrong. BUT in this dream scenario, Shonn Greene would have entered the season as a Heisman favorite. The Hawks were ranked like 21 or 22 in the preseason poll without him. They are undeniably starting that season borderline Top 10 with him.

Would it have been enough to edge out two blue-blood teams that started Top 5 in the rankings? Probably not. But maybe the 26-year-old Shonn Greene (joke on the age) rushes for 2,200 yards and 25 TDs. The world would want him in the NC Game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT