ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with some Hawkeye fans?

Yeah, that’s just not okay. Even as a joke that’s inappropriate. I recognize that all fan bases have some turds, but I’m always still embarrassed when I hear about Iowa fans acting like this. Good natured razzing amongst rival fan bases is fine, but this is way over that line.
And yet people always believe that these victim stories are true, when in reality many are just an attempt to besmerch a rival team or an attention grab.

If she felt so threatened she should have contacted security, not told daddy and had him make a post in the cesspool.

And yet people always believe that these victim stories are true, when in reality many are just an attempt to besmerch a rival team or an attention grab.

If she felt so threatened she should have contacted security, not told daddy and had him make a post in the cesspool.
You don’t know what else happened. Maybe she felt threatened and called her dad first? Because he’s a good father who has always made her feel safe. It’s not that far fetched.

It takes very little effort to show a little compassion. Yet many on here immediately jumped down this dudes throat calling him a liar. Really doesn’t seem like that far fetched of a story.

Reactions: edohawk
You don’t know what else happened. Maybe she felt threatened and called her dad first? Because he’s a good father who has always made her feel safe. It’s not that far fetched.

It takes very little effort to show a little compassion. Yet many on here immediately jumped down this dudes throat calling him a liar. Really doesn’t seem like that far fetched of a story.
Yeah I'll stand by my thoughts.

We've seen so many of these type of stories floated out on social media in recent years, with people jumping all over the "offending" fan base despite zero proof to back the claims.

Of course, there’s no way to know for sure whether this actually happened or whether the events weren’t embellished in the post. Assuming everything happened as it did, I’d say this:

1. Posting such an account to an audience of Iowa fans is guaranteed to get push-back. You’re presenting an account that can’t be confirmed describing the actions of ONE PERSON that besmirches a population of many thousands. Seriously, what kind of reaction do you expect? It’s an extraordinarily bad idea to bring that stuff here. Nobody here can do anything about it and everyone here is likely to assume you’re throwing Iowa fans under the bus based on one alleged incident. It’s a completely unproductive endeavor.

2. I’m sorry if it actually happened as you describe, but if it did, it represents an isolated incident of one fan — likely hammered — acting like a drunken fool. As has been repeated in this thread, every fan base has its jerks. Always have and always will.

3. Just for kicks, here are three true events that happened over the weekend:

1) Good friend of mine, one of the nicest guys I know, was riding the elevator at our hotel (Tulsa Marriott Southern Hills, which happened to be crawling with PSU fans). Several sober PSU fans got on and immediately started taunting him about Iowa not winning championships like they used to. Totally unprovoked. My friend couldn’t believe it.

2) Same friend got on another elevator the next day that contained several PSU fans. A woman on the elevator, a sober PSU fan, promptly says, “I’m not staying on here with this guy” based solely on his black and gold apparel and gets off the elevator. Her husband stayed on and just stood there, embarrassed and speechless.

3) Countless fools took to Twitter to mock Spencer and Cathy Lee after Spencer’s semifinal loss. Some were probably drunk but many were presumably sober. Absolutely disgusting.

You’re free to believe the incidents at our hotel or not. They happened. These were sober PSU fans acting like jerks to an Iowa fan who was just trying to be friendly. I have no doubt that this kind of stuff happened dozens of times around Tulsa over the past few days, both ways.

The horrific behavior on Twitter is well-documented, of course.

So the unfortunate truth is that there are jerks everywhere. Sadly, every fan base has them. People just suck sometimes. But coming to an Iowa board to complain about an Iowa fan behaving exactly like a small percentage of fans of other schools act is completely futile and a very bad idea.

Last edited:
i belive some fool said something stupid, equally stupid is little girl feeling threatened. nut up tell drunk dip sh@t to screw hisself

I'm appalled at some of the reactions on this thread. I don't know if this story is true or not, but I would never call this guy (or his daughter) a liar without knowing for a fact it was a lie. I am pretty protective of groups I'm a part of and hate to see Iowa fans thought of poorly, but I'm also protective of my family and friends, and if this happened to any girl or woman in my circle, I'd be pretty ticked off myself. I wouldn't write about it on here and subject myself to some of the asinine replies I've seen here. Several replies here just prove that there are some Hawkeye fans as bad as the ones from his story, and that makes me sad. Maybe it is made up. Maybe not, but his point is proven. I've run across plenty of idiots from most fan bases I've dealt with in wrestling, and in other sports, but I've also had very nice conversations or discussions with fans from almost all fan bases. If you don't believe the OP, ignore him, but unless you can prove he's lying, don't be an a$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trapper85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT