ADVERTISEMENT

What true method is BF talking about?

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
"We have a tried and true method," said Ferentz. "We know how we win, we know who we are.

Iowa has NEVER won a Big Ten Title Game.
Iowa was BLOWN out in the latest Title Game.
Iowa has NOT won the Big Ten in almost 20 years.
Iowa has NOT won a major Bowl since 2009.
Iowa is 4-6 in their last 10 Bowl Games.

I love Iowa Football and have enjoyed many great wins, but this idea of BF that Iowa has a tried and true method for winning is ... well ... crackers.

Alabama has a tried and true method for winning.
Wisconsin has a tried and true method for winning.
and so on.

And the key to having a tried and true method for winning is knowing when to CORRECT a method that isn't working .... NOT solve the ineptitude by trying to 'do better'.
brian regan what GIF

And the key to having a tried and true method for winning is knowing when to CORRECT a method that isn't working .... NOT solve the ineptitude by trying to 'do better'.
brian regan what GIF

I think BrianF thinks they only need to get the running game going, which means the offensive line going, and it will open up the play action pass game.

When KF got here with his zone blocking scheme and he had very good to great offensive lines then the hawks won and won a lot and in great fashion. Defenses have caught up with the outside zone play pretty much.

So that is Kirk's way on offense and of course he has had 2 great Dee Coords and some great kickers etc.

We will know pretty soon when the season starts whether #1 this offensive line can bully and push Utah St and ISU around, handle their blitzes and odd looks, and if they can then we might be more successful.

If Cade has a better running game by just 10-15% it will help.

I think the staff is relying on past plans and schemes and think by adding an upgrade at QB that all things will be better + All at TE + Feth and Parker on OL, etc. That's fine and one way to think about it however if they would've taken a holistic look at everything and upgraded talent + scheme + OC then we are talking.

Per the post above, just by having Cade at QB that's work several more TD's via the air, a completion percentage of maybe 10% higher, which of course helps with field position and not wearing out your defense, etc, etc. IF we can get OL to a B level grade with A level RB's and most likely A level TE's we will be cooking with fire.

The WR mess is a whole other topic, still hopeful Bostick can get healthy and contribute as he was hurt all last fall and of course Seth Andersen gets hurt and Brecht leaves so throw some NIL money at a decent portal guy and let's go!

"We have a tried and true method," said Ferentz. "We know how we win, we know who we are.

I love Iowa Football and have enjoyed many great wins, but this idea of BF that Iowa has a tried and true method for winning is ... well ... crackers.

and so on.

brian regan what GIF

Wisconsin's tried and true method is the Iowa method. Barry and Brett followed the Iowa way and for a good amount of time they were there, would offer recruits within days after Iowa offered. Tha's there tried and true method. Recently, when they have started to attempt to be something other, their success has begun to suffer a bit.

and so on.

brian regan what GIF
If you want to parse it down - Anyone can "know" how to win, but it's the actual "winning" that is the most important part.

It reminds me of this.

One thing I wish Kirk would change.....get rid of the zone blocking scheme. I believe our offensive line would show improvement just by blocking man on man. How many times last season did we see an Iowa lineman "blocking" his empty zone, while a defender was running unabated into our backfield? That was frustrating!

One thing I wish Kirk would change.....get rid of the zone blocking scheme. I believe our offensive line would show improvement just by blocking man on man. How many times last season did we see an Iowa lineman "blocking" his empty zone, while a defender was running unabated into our backfield? That was frustrating!
Zone is definitely more difficult to master as straight up blocking may help with the size and strength of this line. I think zone blocking will be a sure thing we'll see but would love to see more counters and runs like that which is straight man blocking scheme.

Reactions: hawkhorn and 83Hawk
The tried and true method is ducking Ohio State and Michigan. Only once in the division era have the Hawks finished with less than 5 losses while playing either of those teams (2019) and the 2 west titles came when they didn't have to play either. What a coincidence.

The stars have aligned again in 23

Tried and true= 7 to 8 wins, no B1G championship, winning the west doesn't count, weak ass division in all CFB. Get a bowl win here and there. It keeps people coming to games money rolling in everyone is happy! Any, and I mean any P5 school BF and OL coach would be unemployed!

At this point, a lot of you are just looking to nitpick anything KF or BF says. Iowa does have a a tried and true method. Ball control offense, bend don’t break defense. Saying that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to improve on, it means they need to actually execute the formula. The offense has obviously not held its end up lately

and so on.

brian regan what GIF
His tried and true method is being carried by PP and the Defense if PP were to leave Kurtz Furduntz and son FattyMcFatFat wins may 5 games a year at most

TEAM X = only just Iowa????

TEAM X has NEVER won a CONFERENCE Y Title Game.
TEAM X was BLOWN out in the latest Title Game.
TEAM X has NOT won the CONFERENCE Y in almost 20 years.
TEAM X has NOT won a major Bowl since 2009.
TEAM X is 4-6 in their last 10 Bowl Games.
Your list ... is that the only metric for success?

You realize that each conference essentially has their equivalent of Ohio State (and Michigan/Penn State). Most conferences are dominated by very few teams ... and that is part of the reason why folks have been advocating for the expansion of the CFP. Hell, arguments could be made that the playoff system has been downright boring with maybe the exception of this year (wherein, ironically, it was the championship game that was boring).

While Iowa fans lament ... but in recent years, Iowa has been more successful than many formerly storied programs (like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, Florida ... to name but a few). However, in terms of resources, geography, national-perception and the like ... Iowa shouldn't be able to compare/compete with those programs.

While (some) Iowa fans might tire of the always a bridesmaid, never the bride situation we find ourselves in ... there are shit-sandwiches out there that fans from other programs have to swallow. The grass ain't always greener on the other side. Sometimes it's okay to be satisfied with where you're at.

Iowa's method is a style of play that is deliberate and slow - that limits the number of possessions that either team gets. It relies heavily upon complementary football ... where the offense scores enough ... and the defense and special teams make sure that O gets shorter fields and that the opponent's O gets longer fields (and that you minimize the number of easy points you give the opponent).

It IS a method ... and it's allowed Iowa to punch above its weight-class for well over a decade. You haven't taken notes?

Your list ... is that the only metric for success?

You realize that each conference essentially has their equivalent of Ohio State (and Michigan/Penn State). Most conferences are dominated by very few teams ... and that is part of the reason why folks have been advocating for the expansion of the CFP. Hell, arguments could be made that the playoff system has been downright boring with maybe the exception of this year (wherein, ironically, it was the championship game that was boring).

While Iowa fans lament ... but in recent years, Iowa has been more successful than many formerly storied programs (like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, Florida ... to name but a few). However, in terms of resources, geography, national-perception and the like ... Iowa shouldn't be able to compare/compete with those programs.

While (some) Iowa fans might tire of the always a bridesmaid, never the bride situation we find ourselves in ... there are shit-sandwiches out there that fans from other programs have to swallow. The grass ain't always greener on the other side. Sometimes it's okay to be satisfied with where you're at.

Iowa's method is a style of play that is deliberate and slow - that limits the number of possessions that either team gets. It relies heavily upon complementary football ... where the offense scores enough ... and the defense and special teams make sure that O gets shorter fields and that the opponent's O gets longer fields (and that you minimize the number of easy points you give the opponent).

It IS a method ... and it's allowed Iowa to punch above its weight-class for well over a decade. You haven't taken notes?
Agree with all of this, except Iowa can't run the ball very well. I honestly don't care if Iowa has a sexy offense, just wish they could run the ball and sustain a few more drives. It would probably equal about 15 more wins the best decade and a couple more appearances in the Big ten champ game.

Me: What is iowa football known for

ChatGPT: Iowa football is known for its consistently competitive and physical play in the Big Ten Conference. The team is known for its strong offensive and defensive lines, which have produced many successful NFL players. Iowa's football program has a long history of success, including multiple conference championships and appearances in major bowl games. Additionally, Iowa is known for producing successful coaches, such as Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz, who have built a tradition of excellence and developed a culture of hard work and discipline within the program.

Me: What is Nebraska football known for

ChatGPT: Nebraska football is known for its passionate fan base, iconic home stadium (Memorial Stadium), and a long history of winning football. The team is famous for its "Cornhusker" nickname, which refers to the state's agricultural roots, and its distinctive red and white uniforms. Nebraska has a rich tradition of success, with five national championships and numerous conference titles to its name. The program is also known for producing a large number of NFL players, particularly on the offensive line. Nebraska's football culture emphasizes toughness, hard work, and a "no-frills" approach to the game, which has endeared it to many fans across the country.

Me: Did you forget how bad they've been the last decade?

ChatGPT: I apologize for any confusion in my previous response. You are correct that Nebraska football has struggled to maintain its previous level of success in recent years. The team has not won a conference championship since 1999 and has had losing records in four of the last five seasons. However, despite recent struggles, Nebraska's football program still maintains a proud tradition and a passionate fan base. The team's past successes and iconic status within college football continue to be a significant part of its identity, even during periods of rebuilding and transition.

and so on.

brian regan what GIF
You must have missed some other blowouts at Arizona State and at Minnesota around 2014 (that one was a real head scratcher). Seems like we had a bad stinker at Penn State maybe 2016-ish? They happen sometimes.

Non-CFP bowl games mean nothing .... zilch.

Badgers have a tried and true method? Not in 2022 they didn't.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Drop the offensive Offensive scheme.
I do not believe in singling out specific players for ineptness.
People that age don't need that.
HOWEVER, a crap, obsolete offensive SCHEME is the Root Of All Evil and will be called out.
The Capt needs to retire and we need to evolve to the Spread.
Junior, even, is handcuffed by the scheme.

Reactions: littlez
HOWEVER, a crap, obsolete offensive SCHEME is the Root Of All Evil and will be called out.
Let's wait and see how things go for Wisconsin. Their spring game highlights on offense were pretty ugly. Throwing the ball around isn't always a good thing.

Let's wait and see how things go for Wisconsin. Their spring game highlights on offense were pretty ugly. Throwing the ball around isn't always a good thing.
Yeah, that Iowa runs a ball control scheme doesn’t bother me. That it hasn’t noticeably evolved does.

and Wisconsin is totally taking a big swing with their scheme change.

Not sure what you would expect with 13 incoming transfers, and a new system. 4 of those transfers were WRs and 3 were QBs.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Not sure what you would expect with 13 incoming transfers, and a new system. 4 of those transfers were WRs and 3 were QBs.
Agree, but they look like a poor mans Ohio State. Let's see how it goes without Ohio State talent. I always respected the Wisconsin style, and I think they essentially struggled through a QB era with Mertz that forced this change. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see Iowa change the offense up a little. Not to what Wisconsin is doing though.

Wisconsin's tried and true method is the Iowa method. Barry and Brett followed the Iowa way and for a good amount of time they were there, would offer recruits within days after Iowa offered. Tha's there tried and true method. Recently, when they have started to attempt to be something other, their success has begun to suffer a bit.
Wiscy recruited better skill guys, equal OL recruiting, AND ran better schemes then Iowa. It's a tweaked Iowa system, and it's better.

Wisconsin copied Iowa system when BA hired BB, Right after Iowa offered a player BB was to offer and put the full court. I lost count on how many recruits that chose Wisconsin over Iowa.

Iowa has now won 2 out of the last 3.

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Iowa's proven system that has produced these

1 12 win season
2 11 win seasons
4 10 win seasons
3 9 win seasons
4 8 win seasons
3 7 win seasons
3 6 win seasons
0 5 win seasons
1 4 win season
1 3 win season
1 1 win season

that makes just 3 regular losing seasons. what needs to happen is for you to get your wish and then Iowa to return to the glory years of the 60's and 70's,

then you and these other's can bitch and moan every day.

Wisconsin copied Iowa system when BA hired BB, Right after Iowa offered a player BB was to offer and put the full court. I lost count on how many recruits that chose Wisconsin over Iowa.

Iowa has now won 2 out of the last 3.
I see Wiscy as being much closer to OSU in terms of offensive scheme, the same defensive mindset as the past.

The OC (from NC who finished 19th in the country last year) will certainly give bucky a new look, they will still utilize the RB (how could you not with who they have back there). They averaged 6.2ypp, 62 TD's and 462ypg. I think it will take a bit to get consistency, but it was a good hire. Longo's offenses shattered records at Sam Houston, suffered in the redzone while at Ole Miss. seemed to get all that cleaned up at NC while boasting several 1k yard receivers and rushers.

Wiscy has one of the best transfer portal classes in the country.

All that said, F!!!! wisconsin.

and so on.

brian regan what GIF
Are we sure he wasn't just referring to his bank account?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT