ADVERTISEMENT

What true method is BF talking about?

How are we supposed to win the West, in the complete, total, and utter absence of an offense?
Don't you think they worked the portal and brought in players to improve the offense?
We have to get better at the QB position recruiting and only time will tell. Some fans like the recruits they have now at QB, but I'll wait until they play.
Running backs are solid, receiver recruiting is better through the portal and is a wait and see like QB with recruiting. The offensive line will be better if they stay healthy. It has been said many times, Ferentz didn't forget how to coach the o-line.
I still firmly believe Reese retiring had a few years of recruiting ramifications. Reese had an unbelievable network of high school coaches in and out of the state of Iowa. Hard to replace.

How are we supposed to win the West, in the complete, total, and utter absence of an offense?
2021 In 2021 we played Wisc #1 in total defense, Minn #4, ISU #10, Mich #12, Kentucky #26, Purdue #31, PSU #35, Illinois #50, and Neb #51. 9 of 14 games we played a top 51 defense. We played 1 defense in the bottom 26.

2022 Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule and 3 more in the top 65 with the worst ranked at 100 of 131 in total defenses.

Why does the Big 12 have great offenses in 2022. This is the reason, ISU at #10 was the best defense in the Big 12 followed by #54 Texas. On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127. Oklahoma and Kansas both allowed over 460 yards per game.

then rankings are also opinions and not facts, because the weight placed on different criteria for determining what the 'rankings' are has elements of subjectivity--and not facts.

The rankings I used are facts not opinions. Total defense is the accumulation of your opponents total yards divided total games. Points per game is the total of your opponents total scores divided by games. No weight is placed on any of these stats. The only subjectivity is the stats that I chose to use. If you have stats you feel are better and can be researched please do.

Is Parker's defense very successful, since it is obvious it is not championship level, or the other teams offense bad? Why do you give Parker's defense credit rather than assume we is playing a bad offense? And of course when looking at Iowa's offense we should look at the defense they are playing. since often we are playing a defense as good or better than Iowa's.

2021 In 2021 we played Wisc #1 in total defense, Minn #4, ISU #10, Mich #12, Kentucky #26, Purdue #31, PSU #35, Illinois #50, and Neb #51. 9 of 14 games we played a top 51 defense. We played 1 defense in the bottom 26.

2022 Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule and 3 more in the top 65 with the worst ranked at 100 of 131 in total defenses.

Why does the Big 12 have great offenses in 2022. This is the reason, ISU at #10 was the best defense in the Big 12 followed by #54 Texas. On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127. Oklahoma and Kansas both allowed over 460 yards per game.
Nice. Not a big stats person as it does depend on rank of offense and defense per game. Poor defenses against poor offenses become interesting games.
Iowa had good defenses, but went a number of years not being able to finish out games do to lack of depth. Close games we knew our offense was going to not be aggressive, so we would turn it back to the defense to win and I would be curious if we lost more of those than we won. That would be my knock on Kirk for not opening up the offense, but they have to trust they could move the ball. The last few years they have played against some great defenses. Those defenses all had fairly good defensive ends.

You'd have to ask Phil. I'm sure he likes his gig. He sure became one hell of a DC
I agree he has turned out to be a phenomenal DC and has changed his defense as needed to adapt to the game. He has stated he wouldn't want to work for another head coach. Stays at Iowa because of his relationship and continuity of staff.
Woods has basically echoed that sentiment.
Recruiting is a staff decision.

Reactions: BonzoFury
then rankings are also opinions and not facts, because the weight placed on different criteria for determining what the 'rankings' are has elements of subjectivity--and not facts.

The rankings I used are facts not opinions. Total defense is the accumulation of your opponents total yards divided total games. Points per game is the total of your opponents total scores divided by games. No weight is placed on any of these stats. The only subjectivity is the stats that I chose to use. If you have stats you feel are better and can be researched please do.

Is Parker's defense very successful, since it is obvious it is not championship level, or the other teams offense bad? Why do you give Parker's defense credit rather than assume we is playing a bad offense? And of course when looking at Iowa's offense we should look at the defense they are playing. since often we are playing a defense as good or better than Iowa's.

I think things look promising for Iowa to take the west this season,.. if that can happen, then the B1G is a roll of the dice,., An improbable roll of the dice, but a roll of the dice none the less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT