ADVERTISEMENT

What was everyone’s favorite Christmas Present

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012
Curious what everyone’s favorite Christmas gift they received as a kid. Having a little one now, I wonder what he is going to like and remember the most.

Mine was the Super Nintendo we got. My parents let my brother and I open it Christmas Eve. It’s the only time I remember screaming in excitement. We also got one of those tins of popcorn that had the three different flavors (caramel, cheese and plain. We were up all night playing, long enough anyway to eat all the caramel and regular popcorn.

R.7e687b2c6ec8a530f73f00020b7e2915

Curious what everyone’s favorite Christmas gift they received as a kid. Having a little one now, I wonder what he is going to like and remember the most.

Mine was the Super Nintendo we got. My parents let my brother and I open it Christmas Eve. It’s the only time I remember screaming in excitement. We also got one of those tins of popcorn that had the three different flavors (caramel, cheese and plain. We were up all night playing, long enough anyway to eat all the caramel and regular popcorn.
Definitely Atari 2600.

One year when I was a kid, Santa gave me a "chopper" bicycle for Christmas. I loved it! It took a bit to figure out how to steer it, but once I did, I felt like a boss out there riding around!

It looked kinda like this, with the really extended front forks, but mine had big "ape-hanger" handlebars:

5c16cb4e2fd6058b411cbeb3d47c74a5.jpg

Looks like most of you are a lot younger than me.

Mom and Dad got my brother and me all kinds of neat military stuff. This is one I remember quite well. The only problem was the firing mechanism was plastic and broke too easily. :(

EDIT: This is another one we got to go with our nuclear powered submarine and aircraft carrier. I noticed that most of these toys were sold at supermarkets. Not sure why.

Last edited:
Large American Flyer Sled-I had been using my older sister's small sled.

GE Component stereo that was low fi but much better than the basic record players that were still popular back then. It began an addiction to audio that I still must feed:)

I used to get the complete set of Topps football cards every year. I would sort them and put them in books. Each team had a page and I would put the pages in the order of the final standings every year. I spent hours and hours for years on them.

Probably SEGA CD (which turned out to kinda suck) or laser tag.

My brother and I used to sneak downstairs at Midnight and secretly unwrap and look at the presents.

Great times.
You know your parents probably knew right? :)

Once I got older and we had the daughter I realized that my parents couldn't possibly have been as naive or as blind as I thought they were at the time. They knew. They just didn't let on.

Reactions: BrianNole777
They were pretty sweet, if the cars would work and the track would stay together. I feel like we were always having to take the cover of the car off so they would run correctly.
Haha! Yeah, there was a brief but amazing window there where the track stayed together, and the cars both worked. In that window, though!!

Reactions: h-hawk
You know your parents probably knew right? :)

Once I got older and we had the daughter I realized that my parents couldn't possibly have been as naive or as blind as I thought they were at the time. They knew. They just didn't let on.

I'm 99% my Dad was asleep and 80% my Mom (no pics) was as well.

My brother and I were slick. :)

Reactions: NDallasRuss
ATVs. We never had much under the tree after 1980 and best present that was under a tree was an Atari 2600. However, starting in 1981 my dad starting getting us three wheelers. So after our disappointment unwrapping he told us go do something in the garage. Wow, matching Honda 70s for my brother and I. The tradition kept going and when we woke up on Christmas we’d go straight to the garage. Then he started to let us hang and a friend of his would bring them over later that day or he’d make us sweat it out for a few days after we had the perfect plan to kill him. Ended up with largest private collection of Hondas in the US and they are worth a fortune now so my dad now says they weren’t gifts. Hmm? To make a short story long.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT