ADVERTISEMENT

When Will Breweries Go Out Of Style?

Michelob ultra gold organic, that's the way to go, although a poster named Ghost claims its" good to douche with"

Hopefully never. They’re fun.

They probably are approaching a peak however (I know one popular one in DSM is closing).

Reactions: JWolf74
Madhouse. Had some damn delicious beer. Maybe popular isn’t the right word (going out of business obviously)but it’s one of the older ones that was around before the craze.

When I moved to Iowa 5 years ago I found some awesome Madhouse beers. Never see their stuff at all anymore. That’s a bummer.

I've never been to a Brewery. I don't like beer.

What goes on there? Is it just a place to buy craft beers and food?

I've never been to a Brewery. I don't like beer.

What goes on there? Is it just a place to buy craft beers and food?
Not all have food.

I enjoy trying different beers. I am surprised they all stay open. My guess is there is a nice profit margin in selling beer you make vs buy.

It's all about the ABV and America is falling in love with not having to drink a 6 pack to get a buzz, so not anytime soon.

Reactions: SansSouci
Madhouse. Had some damn delicious beer. Maybe popular isn’t the right word (going out of business obviously)but it’s one of the older ones that was around before the craze.

I never had a bad beer from them that I can remember. But I also never had one I really enjoyed. One that would make me want to buy a bunch. They recently changed to focusing on sours, I had high hopes for those. The one or two I had were just ok.

It's all about the ABV and America is falling in love with not having to drink a 6 pack to get a buzz, so not anytime soon.
That's why there's scotch, whisky, etc. Best part is it tastes good and you don't need to wear a turtleneck to enjoy it.

Not all have food.

I enjoy trying different beers. I am surprised they all stay open. My guess is there is a nice profit margin in selling beer you make vs buy.

So is it kind of like the beer version of visiting a winery? (Basically you can taste test and then buy what you like?)

I might be somewhat tempted to try it. Mostly because the times I have tried beer it was cheap Budweiser and I found the taste so irredeamingly awful that I have always assumed that I just don't like beer. However I have also realized that it might not be entirely wise to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are some wines that if I stereotyped all wines based on them I would think I didn't like wine either.

So is it kind of like the beer version of visiting a winery? (Basically you can taste test and then buy what you like?)

I might be somewhat tempted to try it. Mostly because the times I have tried beer it was cheap Budweiser and I found the taste so irredeamingly awful that I have always assumed that I just don't like beer. However I have also realized that it might not be entirely wise to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are some wines that if I stereotyped all wines based on them I would think I didn't like wine either.
Similar I guess. You can sample but most just buy a full glass and live with the choice.

I don’t care for sours so I go to the dark beers, the darker the beer usually the smoother it is IMO.

Some will have food trucks and a few make their own food.

Barn Town in Waukee has excellent food IMO. Singlespeed in Waterloo has a great looking place with food. I had possibly one of my top 5 all time horrible dining experiences at Singlespeed but I would be willing to give it another chance. The food and service was somewhere between bla to awful. The beer was good.

Most sell their own beer by the glass, and also sell "growlers" - a reusable bottle that they fill for a reasonable price. They're typically available in several different sizes (16, 32, 64 ounce).

Around here, some have food available but most do not have kitchens. They'll typically allow you to bring in food from a nearby restaurant (or have arrangements for delivery from nearby food places), or on busier days they'll have a food truck set up in the parking lot & let you bring in the food from the food truck.

Similar I guess. You can sample but most just buy a full glass and live with the choice.

I don’t care for sours so I go to the dark beers, the darker the beer usually the smoother it is IMO.

Some will have food trucks and a few make their own food.

Barn Town in Waukee has excellent food IMO. Singlespeed in Waterloo has a great looking place with food. I had possibly one of my top 5 all time horrible dining experiences at Singlespeed but I would be willing to give it another chance. The food and service was somewhere between bla to awful. The beer was good.

Sorry you had a bad experience at SS and hope you give it another chance. Interestingly enough I biked to BT right after it opened. I was disappointed but have heard nothing but positive things since.

Sorry you had a bad experience at SS and hope you give it another chance. Interestingly enough I biked to BT right after it opened. I was disappointed but have heard nothing but positive things since.
It was Father’s Day at SS. They were understaffed big time. One person said we could sit immediately outside. Next person said 20 minutes. It wasn’t anywhere near full. We waited over a 30 mi utes to be seated and I doubt 1/2 the tables were full. From the time we walked in to the time we got our food it was 90 minutes.

Wasn’t impressed with food and multiple people at our table decided not to order burger when we saw how small it was when delivered to other table. It looked closer to a McDonald’s 1/4 pounder than a $12-$14 burger. There food seems to be overpriced by about $2-3 per item compared to other places. $12 for a Caesar salad that has no meat is too high for Waterloo Iowa.

Another patron leaving told us “good luck” as they pushed two hours they said.

Crap happens but after that kind of wait free beer or a free appetizer should have been brought out.

I think they changed their menu and I can see why communication among the staff breaks down when it is 40 yards between the two main entrances.

Reactions: jellyfish10
It was Father’s Day at SS. They were understaffed big time. One person said we could sit immediately outside. Next person said 20 minutes. It wasn’t anywhere near full. We waited over a 30 mi utes to be seated and I doubt 1/2 the tables were full. From the time we walked in to the time we got our food it was 90 minutes.

Wasn’t impressed with food and multiple people at our table decided not to order burger when we saw how small it was when delivered to other table. It looked closer to a McDonald’s 1/4 pounder than a $12-$14 burger. There food seems to be overpriced by about $2-3 per item compared to other places. $12 for a Caesar salad that has no meat is too high for Waterloo Iowa.

Another patron leaving told us “good luck” as they pushed two hours they said.

Crap happens but after that kind of wait free beer or a free appetizer should have been brought out.

I think they changed their menu and I can see why communication among the staff breaks down when it is 40 yards between the two main entrances.

Huh...I’ll be damned. I know some of the staff quite well and the owner is a good friend. I’m sure they would not be too happy to hear that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT