ADVERTISEMENT

Who could Iowa's Juwan Howard be?

87alum87

All-Conference
Aug 28, 2009
Dahinda, IL
I have to admit, the thing I most envied about Michigan last night was its coach. He had very little or no college coaching experience, but was a high profile alum. Yet he comes in, brings in the transfer pieces to plug and play, designs a top-notched offense and defense, and has the best class of recruits coming in for his third year. Seems like Michigan will be the team to beat for a long time.

I'm not saying Fran is going anywhere, or even should at this point, but in 4-5 years, who would be Iowa's best chance for a Howard-esque hire?

I'll start:

Devyn Marble

Blast away!

BJ not getting a look after Fran is gone would be a massive oversight imo. His connections to the NBA, Jordan, 3 rings, etc. would make him highly appealing to any prospective player
Who wouldn’t want to play for BJ Armstrong? Trying to be as unbiased as possible, as a recruit, I would be very intrigued by an NBA great coming to coach at Iowa.

BJ not getting a look after Fran is gone would be a massive oversight imo. His connections to the NBA, Jordan, 3 rings, etc. would make him highly appealing to any prospective player

While I'd be ok with BJ, I just don't see where it would be that appealing to kids. That happened so long ago I bet most kids wouldn't even know who he was.

Playing skill and coaching/leadership skill are very different. Juwan just happens to have both. We don’t have a Juwan Howard.

when we talk about leaders in the program( at least from what we see fromour couches, these names come to mind:

-Aaron White (but can he coach?)
-Kenyon Murray?
-B.J.
-possibly Connor in the future
-Horner
-Haluska?

While I'd be ok with BJ, I just don't see where it would be that appealing to kids. That happened so long ago I bet most kids wouldn't even know who he was.
Anybody who watched The Last Dance (a lot of people and most basketball fans) knows who Armstrong is. And if they don’t know who he is, I’m sure that he can catch their ear by telling them that he was a starting point guard, 3x NBA champion, and all star, all on Michael Jordan’s team

To the person who says that hiring Armstrong would be a “disaster”.... not if he surrounds himself with quality assistant coaches, which I am positive that he has access to

Anybody who watched The Last Dance (a lot of people and most basketball fans) knows who Armstrong is. And if they don’t know who he is, I’m sure that he can catch their ear by telling them that he was a starting point guard, 3x NBA champion, and all star, all on Michael Jordan’s team

To the person who says that hiring Armstrong would be a “disaster”.... not if he surrounds himself with quality assistant coaches, which I am positive that he has access to

No kid is going to care, hell I barely care at this point. If BJ has to tell the prospects who he is, then what he did 30 years ago isn't going to mean much. And you said the key words, "Michael Jordan's team".

Howard has a hall-of-fame coach next to him on the bench. A lot of the coaching is from Martelli. Howard has recruited well, but how much of that is under-the-table crap as was done when he was a recruit?

Let's have this discussion in 5 years.

Yes I'm sure Howard coaching for six years in the NBA has nothing to do with it. What a terrible take.

No kid is going to care, hell I barely care at this point. If BJ has to tell the prospects who he is, then what he did 30 years ago isn't going to mean much. And you said the key words, "Michael Jordan's team".
I don’t agree, but whatever. How about “I represented some of the biggest names in the NBA like Derrick Rose in his prime, Al Horford, and Draymond Green. I know that you have NBA aspirations, and I know what it takes to make it in the league. I’ll help you get there and when it comes time for you to try to get drafted, I can make sure all the right people know your name and refer you to an agent”?

You cannot honestly believe that BJ can’t recruit at a higher level than what we’ve seen the past decade

The closest thing Iowa has to JH is Ryan Bowen, and he wouldn't have anywhere close to the cache JH does with HS prospects. None of the previously mentioned ex-players is remotely realistic.

Reactions: HawkOn15
If I can have a the choice of the best recruiter in college, or the best X&O coach, give me the recruiter every day of the week. As a poster mentioned before me, Howard (who I actually don't doubt is great at in game strategy either) has Phil Martelli on the bench if he wants some assistance.

Juwan Howard has NBA experience, championship rings, a college legacy and a long pro rolodex.. He's basically a super-Hoiberg.

BJ Armstrong is the closest match to that (though it isn't really that close). His time as agent might help him be a good recruiter, so much so that, I would consider taking a flier on him if we had a theoretical opening.

Beyond that, Jeff Horner obviously doesn't have the pro creds, but would be a former player who is cutting his chops at Truman. the aforementioned Oliver and Gatens now that hes into coaching might be there in a few years.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
When BJ's name comes up in these discussions, I just kind of scratch my head. Why do so many think he would be a great coach? Why does anyone think players would necessarily want to play for him? There are no recruits out there that ever saw him play, and he certainly isn't a legend.

So many fans are extremely critical of college coaches, but at the same time under-value the skill needed to be one. It's strange.

I saw him do an interview on SC once. They asked him to rate the value of coaching in different scenarios, like in-game, timeouts, pre-game, etc. In every scenario he valued coaching at 0.

Howard was an assistant coach in the NBA for 6 years. BJ has never coached anywhere.

I certainly hope the next Iowa basketball coach has actually coached somewhere.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Isn't Jeff Horner coaching? Not sure, but I would at least consider him as an assistant to work his way up.

When BJ's name comes up in these discussions, I just kind of scratch my head. Why do so many think he would be a great coach? Why does anyone think players would necessarily want to play for him? There are no recruits out there that ever saw him play, and he certainly isn't a legend.

So many fans are extremely critical of college coaches, but at the same time under-value the skill needed to be one. It's strange.

I saw him do an interview on SC once. They asked him to rate the value of coaching in different scenarios, like in-game, timeouts, pre-game, etc. In every scenario he valued coaching at 0.

Howard was an assistant coach in the NBA for 6 years. BJ has never coached anywhere.

I certainly hope the next Iowa basketball coach has actually coached somewhere.
We have to look no further than Iowa’s last head coach as somebody who achieved success solely due to quality assistant coaching. If you can have a good front man that is a highly capable recruiter, and good assistant coaches that are responsible for game planning, etc., then you can achieve success in college basketball

Reactions: 24 so far
If I can have a the choice of the best recruiter in college, or the best X&O coach, give me the recruiter every day of the week. As a poster mentioned before me, Howard (who I actually don't doubt is great at in game strategy either) has Phil Martelli on the bench if he wants some assistance.

Juwan Howard has NBA experience, championship rings, a college legacy and a long pro rolodex.. He's basically a super-Hoiberg.

BJ Armstrong is the closest match to that (though it isn't really that close). His time as agent might help him be a good recruiter, so much so that, I would consider taking a flier on him if we had a theoretical opening.

Beyond that, Jeff Horner obviously doesn't have the pro creds, but would be a former player who is cutting his chops at Truman. the aforementioned Oliver and Gatens now that hes into coaching might be there in a few years.
Remember that Iowa did have a terrific recruiting HC (the best in Hawk history) in George Raveling. But it wasn't until the Hawks got their best X's and O's coach, Dr Tom, did Raveling's recruiting reach its full potential. Raveling's teams were good but not special. Dr Tom's teams, after Raveling's recruits were gone, were good--but not special. So....
take your pick. Obviously, it would be great to have both.

He was an All Star because Jordan wasn’t on the team.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
We have to look no further than Iowa’s last head coach as somebody who achieved success solely due to quality assistant coaching. If you can have a good front man that is a highly capable recruiter, and good assistant coaches that are responsible for game planning, etc., then you can achieve success in college basketball

Do you mean Alford? I assume you don't mean Lick.

61-67 in B1G games in 8 years, with 3 NCAA appearances?

Matt Gatens?? No NBA resume, played overseas, several years coaching experience at Auburn, Drake.

Do you mean Alford? I assume you don't mean Lick.

61-67 in B1G games in 8 years, with 3 NCAA appearances?
I am absolutely talking about Stevens running the show at Butler and continuing the success after Lick left for Iowa, before going and having success in the NBA, while Lickliter floundered at Iowa

Ryan Bowen is the only person that comes close to meeting the Juwan Howard criteria, albeit to a much lessor degree in almost every category. Successful college career, good NBA career all things considered and coaching experience in the NBA with the Kings and Nuggets. He certainly lacks the name recognition of a Juwan Howard but as far as Hawkeyes go, this is the closest we've got to what Howard is at Michigan.

While looking up Bowen's resume, had no idea his middle name was Cleo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT