ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

I thought the ceremony was very underwhelming.

Marble, the school’s all-time leading scorer, was awarded a framed jersey from Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta as part of a ceremony. Marble 48, has stage-four cancer. He was moved by the response from the sold-out crowd.

Iowa’s gesture left open a debate on jersey or number retirement at the school. Iowa’s men’s basketball program has eight retired numbers and one retired jersey. Marble scored 2,116 points, 323 more than second-place Aaron White, yet his number remains unretired. But Marble teammate B.J. Armstrong has jersey No. 10 retired, although that number remains in circulation.

Chris Street’s No. 40 was the last number retired by the school. Street died in a car accident in 1993.

I don’t think he left Iowa with a degree. So eh e can correct me if I’m wrong. Multiple run ins with the law, including domestic abuse. Substance abuse issues as well. Great player as a Hawkeye. Based on numbers alone he should have his # retired. Based on everything else......absolutely not. Tough call for the University. And when hasn’t the University erred on the side of caution?
To have your jersey hanging from the rafters, #1 you HAVE to have gotten your degree.

Devyn should know/understand this.

But everyone is a victim now a days and "victims" tweet their outrage & they boycott!!!

Does going to rehab during college count as an off the court issue?

Was the school still playing him in games and asking him to help them win? I feel like you can't have your cake and eat it too. If it's not bad enough to kick him off the team, then it isn't bad enough to suspend recognition after the fact.

Didn't know he never got his degree though.

I think there are some valid questions that will be brought up.
To have your jersey hanging from the rafters, #1 you HAVE to have gotten your degree.

Devyn should know/understand this.

But everyone is a victim now a days and "victims" tweet their outrage & they boycott!!!
really? What UI operational policy does that fall under?

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early? Get out of here

Yeah that's my understanding. I can see why Devyn would be upset. Sure Roy had troubles with substances but my gosh time has passed and no need to shame a guy for his own struggles decades ago. Roy was is terminally ill and he gets some awkward recognition ceremony, and Luka gets his number retired when he hasn't finished playing for Iowa. The optics are weird and the AD after Barta should try to fix the broken relationship.
Again, no degree for Roy makes it complicated.

And Luka?
* Will have his degree
* 2 Time National Player of the Year (should be slam dunk)
* 2 Time Consensus All American (should be slam dunk)
* All Time Scoring Leader

I think one of the problems is that when Ronnie Lester ended his career in 1980 as Iowa’s all-time leading scorer, his #12 was quickly retired. When Greg Stokes ended his career in 1985 as Iowa’s new all-time leading scorer, his #41 was quickly retired. And now, as Luka Garza ends his career in 2021 as Iowa’s latest all-time leading scorer, his #55 has been quickly retired.

In other words, there is precedent for Iowa to quickly retire the number of its all-time leading scorer. Except in one notable case.

Since race has come up as a topic in this thread, let me point out that two of the three who have been recognized in this fashion are black. If the pundits write or talk about this in the days ahead, I do hope they note this.

At the end of the day, it comes back to a problem that’s been alluded to in some of the other threads about jersey retirement — we have no real criteria for the recognition. And when there is no set criteria — when you make it up as you go along — you end up hurting someone’s feelings.

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early? Get out of here
But Roy Marble was none of those. He was Iowa's leading scorer and a 3rd team all american. Luka will end up being a 2x 1st team all american, NPOY, all time leading scorer, and potentially top 5 all time scorer in the Big Ten

No? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand why his number wasn’t retired

Well the way this is going to play out on the national stage is a black player who held the record for decades never had his number retired, even when he was gravely ill....meanwhile a white player breaks the record and gets his number retired before the season even ends.

you have to admit the optics are not great, especially given the summer Iowa sports had...

Many universities require a player to have a degree before their # gets retired.

Why is that so complicated for everyone? Why ignore that????

Roy not getting his degree is the only optic you need to focus on.

I think one of the problems is that when Ronnie Lester ended his career in 1980 as Iowa’s all-time leading scorer, his #12 was quickly retired. When Greg Stokes ended his career in 1985 as Iowa’s new all-time leading scorer, his #41 was quickly retired. And now, as Luka Garza ends his career in 2021 as Iowa’s latest all-time leading scorer, his #55 has been quickly retired.

In other words, there is precedent for Iowa to quickly retire the number of its all-time leading scorer. Except in one notable case.

Since race has come up as a topic in this thread, let me point out that two of the three who have been recognized in this fashion are black. If the pundits write or talk about this in the days ahead, I do hope they note this.

At the end of the day, it comes back to a problem that’s been alluded to in some of the other threads about jersey retirement — we have no real criteria for the recognition. And when there is no set criteria — when you make it up as you go along — you end up hurting someone’s feelings.

For me, it was the perfect time knowing that Roy was living out his last days. Yes, Marble had gotten into trouble but he had shown a lot of love for the university. I can understand Devyn having bad blood about that. Barta f'cked up big time in my opinion.

roymarblesr.hawkeyes.jpg

EP-150919929.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

AR-141109774.jpg

459b516ee4afbb28810f6a7067006166.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-11_14.56.22.0.0.png

Oh yeah I completely agree with you on that. The Twitter mob is going to take this and run. I’m just saying it’s completely moronic to try to stretch this into a race thing. These are the times we live in though

Twitter mob. You nailed it.

Look at what ONE TWEET from James Daniels did.

What will this ONE TWEET from Dev do?

Reactions: Hawkdome
Yeah, the double secret rehab Marble went to off season, along with at least one other player. Not to mention names but it rhymes with Horton. Didn't get his degree and for all accounts with the off the court issues after he left Iowa. Why in the hell would you honor that?

But Roy Marble was none of those. He was Iowa's leading scorer and a 3rd team all american. Luka will end up being a 2x 1st team all american, NPOY, all time leading scorer, and potentially top 5 all time scorer in the Big Ten
I think you could make an argument last year doesn’t count.

• Wow
Reactions: papabeef

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early?

Get out of here

No, you should get out of here based on what you typed.

What? Who are you making that argument with? They played a whole regular season
No NCAA champion was crowned, therefore it triggers a rule in the original college basketball Naismith accords that, “if ever a season results in no outright winner, any association of basketball so formed is null and void.”

Therefore last season never happened....and this year is actually being played under false pretenses.

(it’s all true, heard it on the social networks...)

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef
No NCAA champion was crowned, therefore it triggers a rule in the original college basketball Naismith accords that, “if ever a season results in no outright winner, any association of basketball so formed is null and void.”

Therefore last season never happened....and this year is actually being played under false pretenses.

(it’s all true, heard it on the social networks...)
LOL!

Did Roy have off the court issues while he was a player? If not, why wouldn't his number be retired at the same time as Luka's?
I'm betting the people at Iowa at the time have a pretty good idea.

And I have no problem whatsoever with the late Roy Marble, he had his demons like most humans who will admit it do.

I don't know why they decided to retire Luka's number so soon, but he's way up there on the list of accolades already obtained and more to come. It sure as hell ain't cause he's white, or Iowa would have ran out of retired numbers long ago.

Reactions: abby97
does Iowa basketball have criteria for certain honors?
Doesn’t football have a few like two time consensus all Americans make the press box? One timers make the wall of honor or whatever it is in the dining area of the new complex?
Outside of scoring what were Roy’s accomplishments? 1st team all big ten? All American?

FYI

No.PlayerYear retired
Iowa Hawkeyes retired numbers
10B. J. Armstrong (jersey)1992
12Ronnie Lester1980
21Carl Cain1980
22Bill Seaberg1980
31Bill Logan1980
33Bill Schoof1980
40Chris Street1993
41Greg Stokes1985
46Sharm Scheuerman1980
55Luka Garza2021
FYI

No.PlayerYear retired
Iowa Hawkeyes retired numbers
10B. J. Armstrong (jersey)1992
12Ronnie Lester1980
21Carl Cain1980
22Bill Seaberg1980
31Bill Logan1980
33Bill Schoof1980
40Chris Street1993
41Greg Stokes1985
46Sharm Scheuerman1980
55Luka Garza2021

I’m going to go on record in stating that Greg Stokes never should have had his jersey retired. Very nice player, but he isn’t even in my top 20 all time greats.

Chris Street as well, but that’s a different and more tragic story.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
does Iowa basketball have criteria for certain honors?
Doesn’t football have a few like two time consensus all Americans make the press box? One timers make the wall of honor or whatever it is in the dining area of the new complex?
Outside of scoring what were Roy’s accomplishments? 1st team all big ten? All American?
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, football is pretty clear no grey area. Bball needs to follow footballs example

Edit: I think bball should actually adopt same model going forward....to have jersey retired you have to be a two time consensus first team all American. If you want number actually retired it has to be two time consensus plus additional excellence like NPOY or scoring champ etc.

Reactions: HawkDub
I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.

Outside of Street, or players that took Iowa to back to back Final Fours does anyone else have their number retired that wasn't 1st Team All-Conference?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
It’s not going to blow up. This isn’t a story.

I loved Roy and used to pretend to be him on the playground in grade school. He’s a legend. When Roy was sick, I had hoped Iowa would retire his jersey as a last hurrah before he died. That being said, people who make multiple poor choices are generally not celebrated with the elite honor of retiring a number, so I understand the University’s stance.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.

His off court issues plagued Roy throughout his entire life, not just 30 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT