ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

It’s not going to blow up. This isn’t a story.

I loved Roy and used to pretend to be him on the playground in grade school. He’s a legend. When Roy was sick, I had hoped Iowa would retire his jersey as a last hurrah before he died. That being said, people who make multiple poor choices are generally not celebrated with the elite honor of retiring a number, so I understand the University’s stance.
I get it but that also means no one should have jersey/number retired while they are still kicking....

This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

#23 should have been hanging from the rafters decades ago!!! It is inexcusable. Period. Granted he did embarrass himself and the UI with his being the first person suspended from the NBA for substance abuse. However, that was not his record at Iowa.

Bob Bowlsby should have did it. Why he didn't make ZERO sense. One cannot blame Barta nearly as much, as memories fade.

Roy is not even close to being the GOAT. He wasn’t even the best player on his team. He played a lot of games and scored a lot of points on teams with a lot of good players. Should we just retire all the jerseys for the top 10-15 scorers in Iowa history?

Maybe the #2 scorer in history who held that record for 30 years?

Reactions: littlez
According to his Wikipedia Greg Stokes was just a 3rd team all American and he played around the same time as Roy and his number is retired. For those stating Roy’s career didn’t merit retiring his number it would be interesting going through the other players to get theirs retired and see what their national accolades are. It seems fairly obvious it’s the off court issues and lack of a degree that caused the school to not retire his jersey. As I stated above, I think they should have changed that policy or made an exception back in 2015 when they had the little ceremony to honor him.

Otherwise it’s weird - like we are going to have a ceremony to honor you, but we have to be careful to not honor you too much because you didn’t measure up off the court.

I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.
It would be 1989 not 85 and suppose some of that clarity could be provided by Bowlsby and Davis. The time that Barta would have considered this was in that celebration in 2015. I don't know how much of the personal issues off court weighed in to not doing

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Yeah I am beginning to realize the only fair thing to do is un retire everything then institute a new policy and evaluate each of the currently retired players against that policy

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktheworld
Outside of Street, or players that took Iowa to back to back Final Fours does anyone else have their number retired that wasn't 1st Team All-Conference?
BJ made only two 2nd team all conference teams. But graduated as the all time leader in assists and 3pt shots while finishing 3rd in scoring and steals. But as has been mentioned, it is only his jersey retired, not the number.

It would be 1989 not 85 and suppose some of that clarity could be provided by Bowlsby and Davis. The time that Barta would have considered this was in that celebration in 2015. I don't know how much of the personal issues off court weighed in to not doing

Loved Roy! But being the first player in the NBA to be suspended for substance abuse did not help his jersey number being retired.... I understand Dev being upset. But his dad

His off court issues plagued Roy throughout his entire life, not just 30 years ago.
I admittedly don’t know all of the details on that. It brings up an interesting gray area. Like tons of athletes are far from angels and it puts the school in a weird place to arbitrarily draw the line about how much is too much before we want to not honor certain former athletes. Obviously the stuff that happened while he was here didn’t stop us from playing him. And he seemed to be welcomed back with open arms when he had a son that was a good player here.

What year did he get an owi while bringing devyn to IC on a recruiting trip? Was it owi with excessive speed? At that time wasn’t it was considered to be fairly normal behavior for Roy since his days playing? When would have been the appropriate time to put him on a pedestal?

I admittedly don’t know all of the details on that. It brings up an interesting gray area. Like tons of athletes are far from angels and it puts the school in a weird place to arbitrarily draw the line about how much is too much before we want to not honor certain former athletes. Obviously the stuff that happened while he was here didn’t stop us from playing him. And he seemed to be welcomed back with open arms when he had a son that was a good player here.
The problem was when Iowa didn't do it at the end of his career, and am guessing there were reasons. His personal life kind spiraled from getting suspended in the NBA, drunk driving and then other charges. Do you retire it in the 90's when all of this is going down?

What year did he get an owi while bringing devyn to IC on a recruiting trip? Wasn’t owi with excessive speed? At that time wasn’t it was considered to be fairly normal behavior for Roy since his days playing? When would have been the appropriate time to put him on a pedestal?
These are valid points but to me we should be able to distinguish between honoring the player and maybe not condoning some of his behavior because obviously it sounds like he had some demons. I admittedly don’t know where you draw the line though because for instance I don’t care how good of a player Pierre Pierce was we should probably distance ourselves from that.

The problem was when Iowa didn't do it at the end of his career, and am guessing there were reasons. His personal life kind spiraled from getting suspended in the NBA, drunk driving and then other charges. Do you retire it in the 90's when all of this is going down?
I think the Marble family wishes they would have done it during this ceremony in 2015 where instead they just gave him a framed jersey as a weird half step to honoring him.

I think one of the problems is that when Ronnie Lester ended his career in 1980 as Iowa’s all-time leading scorer, his #12 was quickly retired. When Greg Stokes ended his career in 1985 as Iowa’s new all-time leading scorer, his #41 was quickly retired. And now, as Luka Garza ends his career in 2021 as Iowa’s latest all-time leading scorer, his #55 has been quickly retired.

In other words, there is precedent for Iowa to quickly retire the number of its all-time leading scorer. Except in one notable case.

Since race has come up as a topic in this thread, let me point out that two of the three who have been recognized in this fashion are black. If the pundits write or talk about this in the days ahead, I do hope they note this.

At the end of the day, it comes back to a problem that’s been alluded to in some of the other threads about jersey retirement — we have no real criteria for the recognition. And when there is no set criteria — when you make it up as you go along — you end up hurting someone’s feelings.
As someone who attended Iowa around the same time as Greg Stokes, Greg didn’t deserve to have his jersey retired. Greg was a good player, but not even close to an all-time great.

I think there are some valid questions that will be brought up.

really? What UI operational policy does that fall under?

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early? Get out of here
I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.
Near as I can tell reading an old Gazette article after his death, Roy did get a degree. He also had a Daughter graduate from Iowa as I assume Devyn did.

He was the all time leading scorer, and also had the record for most field goals and field goal attempts. Led the team in scoring for 3 years at 14.9, 15.4, 20.5.

Didn't find anything about him on All Big Ten or All- American Teams, but did find Garza, Uthoff, Lester and Don Nelson mentioned.

The sad part(IMO) is that it takes away from Luka who has done nothing wrong. Iowa hasn't had a player this dominate since the 60/70's. I doubt if I live long enough to see someone as great a player again in an Iowa uniform and am happy his number was retired.
Luka Garza has distanced himself from EVERY player that has ever played at Iowa in terms of National recognition, and that was before this year.

He's the only consensus 1st Team All-American ever from Iowa that I found, and that goes back to 1954. (Uthoff was consensus 2nd team, Lester made some 2nd teams I believe, and Don Nelson was a first teamer in the AP or something).

Luka also has several Big Man awards from last year that he won, and 2nd for player of the year. All of those things and more are likely to be repeated this year.

It's VERY CLEAR why Iowa is retiring his number. He is far and away the most decorated individual this Program has ever seen. No-brainer!

Dumb tweet by Devyn. Not the right move to make here.

Cant help but wonder if Dev didn't consider the poor light that would be recast upon his dad by doing this. It seems like everyone had viewed Roy with reverence in death. Now with this controversey, all the negative aspects of Roy come back out.........bad move Dev

Yeah, the double secret rehab Marble went to off season, along with at least one other player. Not to mention names but it rhymes with Horton. Didn't get his degree and for all accounts with the off the court issues after he left Iowa. Why in the hell would you honor that?

Who?

If he hates Iowa so much why did he try to get them to recruit his younger brother?

Oh wait, wrong former favorite player :confused:

Reactions: CaboKP
What year did he get an owi while bringing devyn to IC on a recruiting trip? Was it owi with excessive speed? At that time wasn’t it was considered to be fairly normal behavior for Roy since his days playing? When would have been the appropriate time to put him on a pedestal?

it wasn't an OWI, he was speeding and got stopped and was driving while barred and had no current tags on vehicle. 2010 I believe.

Again, no degree for Roy makes it complicated.

And Luka?
* Will have his degree
* 2 Time National Player of the Year (should be slam dunk)
* 2 Time Consensus All American (should be slam dunk)
* All Time Scoring Leader
Roy was never first team All Big Ten.

Reactions: Franisdaman
it wasn't an OWI, he was speeding and got stopped and was driving while barred and had no current tags on vehicle. 2010 I believe.
I remember a substance being that involved. Pretty sure I didn’t make it up. Maybe he just had weed on him but regardless it was same old stupid shit. Oops...I mean “poor demons.”

So is Kevin Kunnert's number retired? He is an Iowa bred guy. He scored .1 more pts per game. He had 7 rebounds per game more. He probably would have had the record if he could have played as a freshman and played as many games. Marble played almost twice as many games. I would guess there are many others.

I thought Devyn was really close to the McCafferys, especially Patrick when he had cancer. Find it really odd he no longer cares about him enough to watch a game.
When I was in Orlando in 2015 watching Iowa play basketball, Patrick and Devyn spent quite a little time together.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Roy is not even close to being the GOAT. He wasn’t even the best player on his team. He played a lot of games and scored a lot of points on teams with a lot of good players. Should we just retire all the jerseys for the top 10-15 scorers in Iowa history?
For the younger posters on here and to Devyn Marble himself Roy wasn’t even the 3rd best player on that team. I watched every single freaking game in the 80’s. Not trying to be critical these are just the facts. BJ, Gamble, Horton all >>>> over Roy 247/365. Roy was a great transition player but couldn’t throw it in the ocean outside of 15 ft. and he definitely holds the all time record at Iowa-for missed layups!!! The bite the hand that fed you thing and pulling the race card when it’s the low hanging fruit really pisses me off. The more people pull the race card the more numb we all become to actual racism.

Plenty of us feel Marble should have a retired number here. Not sure the tweet helps. Not a good look.

Twitter is trash.

Not a good look for anyone but especially hurts as an Iowa fan after last summer. And Devyn was asked why he didn't follow Iowa. It's not like he was actively tweeting about it. Albeit, he may have been trolling with his prior tweet about not following college basketball.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT