ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

I remember a substance being that involved. Pretty sure I didn’t make it up. Maybe he just had weed on him but regardless it was same old stupid shit. Oops...I mean “poor demons.”

that was a separate incident the year prior. Roy had his demons that he couldn't conquer

Reactions: Moral
For the younger posters on here and to Devyn Marble himself Roy wasn’t even the 3rd best player on that team. I watched every single freaking game in the 80’s. Not trying to be critical these are just the facts. BJ, Gamble, Horton all >>>> over Roy 247/365. Roy was a great transition player but couldn’t throw it in the ocean outside of 15 ft. and he definitely holds the all time record at Iowa-for missed layups!!! The bite the hand that fed you thing and pulling the race card when it’s the low hanging fruit really pisses me off. The more people pull the race card the more numb we all become to actual racism.

So....where would have you ranked him? Like 8th on that team? 7th?

Reactions: littlez
For me, it was the perfect time knowing that Roy was living out his last days. Yes, Marble had gotten into trouble but he had shown a lot of love for the university. I can understand Devyn having bad blood about that. Barta f'cked up big time in my opinion.

roymarblesr.hawkeyes.jpg

EP-150919929.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

AR-141109774.jpg

459b516ee4afbb28810f6a7067006166.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-11_14.56.22.0.0.png

I thought it was pretty ham-handed of Iowa to:

A) Not retire even Roy’s jersey (a la BJ)
B) Can’t even re-create something looking like a Marble-era jersey? Did this jersey actually have Okey Ukah’s name on the back?

Luka Garza has distanced himself from EVERY player that has ever played at Iowa in terms of National recognition, and that was before this year.

He's the only consensus 1st Team All-American ever from Iowa that I found, and that goes back to 1954. (Uthoff was consensus 2nd team, Lester made some 2nd teams I believe, and Don Nelson was a first teamer in the AP or something).

Luka also has several Big Man awards from last year that he won, and 2nd for player of the year. All of those things and more are likely to be repeated this year.

It's VERY CLEAR why Iowa is retiring his number. He is far and away the most decorated individual this Program has ever seen. No-brainer!

You can't ignore this:

Luka Garza was Iowa's FIRST Consensus 1st-team All-American since 1952 (68 yrs!).

He's just the third Hawkeye player in program history
to earn that achievement.

He is a slam dunk to become a 2x National Player of Year & a 2 time 1st-Team All-American

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterHawk
Luka is being rewarded immediately because they set the precedent with Megan Gustafson. Both are/were a lot more decorated than Roy Marble nationally and being the all time leading scorer isn't really that relevant to their honors even if they did both get there by the end. Iowa wasn't exactly handing out retired numbers too often the last 35 years, Street being a unique exception. I've always viewed Roy like Chuck Long, except Chuck almost did win the Heisman, both elite Iowa athletes but not to the point they need a number retired.

Last edited:
#23 should have been hanging from the rafters decades ago!!! It is inexcusable. Period. Granted he did embarrass himself and the UI with his being the first person suspended from the NBA for substance abuse. However, that was not his record at Iowa.

Bob Bowlsby should have did it. Why he didn't make ZERO sense. One cannot blame Barta nearly as much, as memories fade.
This, Roy's last year at Iowa was what 32 years ago? Bob Bowlsby and Tom Davis would have been in charge of organizing the retiring of jersey # 23 at that time if they had wanted to and evidently they decided it wasn't warranted.
Gary Barta and Fran McCaffery had zero to do with this whole unwarranted attack on the University, but if Barta wants to right a wrong that some on here feel has been long since ignored, Barta could retire the jersey the same way Iowa did with B.J.
Will they, who knows but if enough Iowa fans start a petition to have that done, you never know. One thing I'd like to interject, if Iowa eventually does retires his jersey, it shouldn't have any bearing on whether he obtained a degree or not. He was a great Hawk and he held the Iowa scoring record for 32 years. To me that warrants to have his jersey retired...."get er done"

This, Roy's last year at Iowa was what 32 years ago? Bob Bowlsby and Tom Davis would have been in charge of organizing the retiring of jersey # 23 at that time if they had wanted to and evidently they decided it wasn't warranted.
Gary Barta and Fran McCaffery had zero to do with this whole unwarranted attack on the University, but if Barta wants to right a wrong that some on here feel has been long since ignored, Barta could retire the jersey the same way Iowa did with B.J.
Will they, who knows but if enough Iowa fans start a petition to have that done, you never know. One thing I'd like to interject, if Iowa eventually does retires his jersey, it shouldn't have any bearing on whether he obtained a degree or not. He was a great Hawk and he held the Iowa scoring record for 32 years. To me that warrants to have his jersey retired...."get er done"

Bowlsby was not the Iowa AD when Roy was playing.

I agree the number should have been retired. I understand the reasons it wasn’t retired back in 1985 but should all that have still been held against him in 2015 when we do the awkward half step of giving him a framed jersey? Someone said lots of schools have a requirement that you get your degree before retiring the number. If so, it would be interesting to see how common that requirement is.

It’s all just awkward because Roy was a fairly prominent figure again all the years his son was here, they showed his highlights in practically every game, they showed him in the stands in TV all the time, and then we have this weird policy where because of some off the court problems 30 years ago we don’t feel like we can really honor him with a retired jersey. If I was Dev I would think that’s messed up too.

I am making an assumption, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some boosters/donors from that era who have not forgotten some of the shenanigans. AD's have a weird line to ride with boosters and public perception sometimes.

[/QUOTE]
Bowlsby was not the Iowa AD when Roy was playing.
The jest of my comments dear sir was, the A.D. and the head coach at the time of Roy's end of his last season or there after, was responsible to either retire his jersey/number at that time. Not 32 years later.
The 2 or them decided not to, and Iowa's present A.D and head coach are not responsible for that omission.
As I said if Iowa fans want to start up a petition to have his jersey retired, who knows maybe Gary Barta will look into it.
As far a Devyn not watching Iowa games that's no skin off my back. If he wants to dredge up something that didn't happen 32 years ago it sure as heck didn't keep him from playing for Iowa for 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

Without reading the thread and other opinions. I feel Roys's jersey should have been retired. When he was pronounced ill would have been a good time to have done it.

Without reading the thread and other opinions. I feel Roys's jersey should have been retired. When he was pronounced ill would have been a good time to have done it.

In August, 2014 it was announced he had cancer.
Just 2 months before that he was arrested for domestic violence after choking his girlfriend.
Puts the school in a petty awkward spot.

The failure to recognize Roy when he got the cancer diagnosis was the time to do something big for Roy Marble. Very big, although no jersey retirement. He played on the same team with BJ and was a better college player for sure. That makes BJ's jersey retirement even more an affront to the Marbles.

Reactions: Ronman
For the younger posters on here and to Devyn Marble himself Roy wasn’t even the 3rd best player on that team. I watched every single freaking game in the 80’s. Not trying to be critical these are just the facts. BJ, Gamble, Horton all >>>> over Roy 247/365. Roy was a great transition player but couldn’t throw it in the ocean outside of 15 ft. and he definitely holds the all time record at Iowa-for missed layups!!! The bite the hand that fed you thing and pulling the race card when it’s the low hanging fruit really pisses me off. The more people pull the race card the more numb we all become to actual racism.

Please, this is not true. I watched every game he played also. This was a number one team for many weeks so all the players you mentioned were excellent but Roy was a cut above the rest of his teammates. Real close with BJ, close with Horton, better than Kevin Gamble.

I didn't see the race card pulled or him slamming Garza? He just said his family was being disrespected and he's mad about it.

Last edited:
I’m not going to pretend to have enough information to make any sort of judgement here. All I know is that Dev has been one of my favorite players to watch during the Fran era. I’ve cheered for him since he arrived at Iowa, through his brief stint in the NBA, and continue to do so in his professional career, and he has always been a classy representative of the program and university. I love seeing former Hawks support the team publicly/on social media, so it’s a bummer that Dev doesn’t choose to support/affiliate with the school and program anymore.

However, he is entitled to his feelings. It’s not like he goes out of his way to badmouth the university. Somebody asked him a question on Twitter and he answered truthfully, without going into specifics.

I hope that the Marble family and the university are able to reconcile down the road, but in the meantime, this is a non-story, and supposed Iowa journalists who are trying to make it one and ultimately cast a negative public light on either Fran or Iowa (especially after the proceedings this past summer) should no longer have the opportunity to cover the university. F that.

Actually, retiring Roy's 23 jersey is a great idea, and why stop there, there's "6 year" Jess Settles #4, the "legend" Greg Brunner #44, Peter Jok #3, Dean Oliver #20, Fred Brown #24. Aaron White #30, Fred Brown # 32, Johnny Johnson #45 and I'm sure that there's a lot of other Iowa players that many Iowa fans feel they deserve to have there jersey retired too.
Hey Iowa could create a ring of retired jerseys around Carvers mezzanine, that would be cool....

I didn't see it as a slam on Luka. I get the hard feelings, best player on the most talented team in 50 years and one of the lesser players on that team, admittedly not much lesser, gets his jersey retired.

But Luka will end his career as 2 time 1st team AA and 2 time Big Ten PoY.

I'm a huge fan of both Roy and Devyn Marble and it saddens me to learn that the family felt the Marbles were underappreciated. They sure as hell weren't underappreciated in my book. However, there's an obvious distinction between them and every other Iowa player not named Luka Garza: Luka has been named national player of the year. Has any other Iowa player ever received that award or one similar to it?

I do know of one other Iowa player who probably deserved a similar award, and but for two untimely knee injuries, he could have been a national champion as well.

Yeah that's my understanding. I can see why Devyn would be upset. Sure Roy had troubles with substances but my gosh time has passed and no need to shame a guy for his own struggles decades ago. Roy was is terminally ill and he gets some awkward recognition ceremony, and Luka gets his number retired when he hasn't finished playing for Iowa. The optics are weird and the AD after Barta should try to fix the broken relationship.

roy beat women
I think there are some valid questions that will be brought up.

really? What UI operational policy does that fall under?

You’re telling me if someone comes to Iowa wins three NPOY, leads us to three national championships, and breaks the scoring record....couldn’t have their jersey/number retired because they left early? Get out of here

That depends. Do they beat women or not?

This has nothing to do with Luka Garza

I disagree.

This is a discussion on why retiring Luka's # is a slam dunk & why restring Roy's # is (and always has been) far from a slam dunk

And here's another reason why this DOES involve Luka: Dev sees how quickly Iowa is retiring Luka's # right AFTER Luka passed his father on the all time scoring list

So, like it or not, this does involve Luka.

I'm a huge fan of both Roy and Devyn Marble and it saddens me to learn that the family felt the Marbles were underappreciated. They sure as hell weren't underappreciated in my book. However, there's an obvious distinction between them and every other Iowa player not named Luka Garza: Luka has been named national player of the year. Has any other Iowa player ever received that award or one similar to it?

I do know of one other Iowa player who probably deserved a similar award, and but for two untimely knee injuries, he could have been a national champion as well.

You must have missed this above. Only 3 players in program history have been consensus 1st team All Americans. Three!!!

And Luka was Iowa's FIRST Consensus 1st-team All-American since 1952 (68 yrs!).

He's just the third Hawkeye player in program history
to earn that achievement.

He is a slam dunk to become a 2x National Player of Year & a 2 time 1st-Team All-American.

Reactions: WadeWilson
I disagree.

This is a discussion on why retiring Luka's # is a slam dunk & why restring Roy's # is (and always has been) far from a slam dunk

And here's another reason why this DOES involve Luka: Dev sees how quickly Iowa is retiring Luka's # right AFTER Luka passed his father on the all time scoring list

So, like it or not, this does involve Luka.
Okay well then you are having a different conversation that is hardly related to Devyn’s grievances with the university. Nine hours before the tweet that prompted this thread, he claimed not to have watched a single CBB game this year. So I highly doubt that his issues with Iowa began this year (let alone last weekend) or, again, have anything to do with Luka

Brommelkamp agrees:

Edit: and why do you insist on reposting tweets and information that you have already posted on this very page of this very thread? Just to be annoying?

In August, 2014 it was announced he had cancer.
Just 2 months before that he was arrested for domestic violence after choking his girlfriend.
Puts the school in a petty awkward spot.

True. ^^. Imagine the blow back the UI would have received had they feted Marble at that time. They got torched, deservedly, for their soft handling of Pierre Pierce in regards to serious instances of violence and abuse.

Hate the UI admin all you want, but Marble sealed his own fate. It's not like he boofed it one time way back when

Reactions: WadeWilson
that was a separate incident the year prior. Roy had his demons that he couldn't conquer

He did have his demons, unfortunately. Lots of us do for a variety of reasons... I really thought highly of Roy, he was a star... Back in the day I worked at the Lil Red Barn(Kum & Go). And when Roy got the boot from the NBA, he played for the CR Silver Bullets, owned by Bill Krause. He would come pick up his check there. And every time he would grab a 40 of Bud Light. It was kind of a gut punch knowing all that talent was being wasted.

When the pitchforks come out today, it's time to do to them what they, the media, do to the public.

Cancel.

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT