ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the most evil person/criminal you have ever met?

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
Have you ever shaken someone’s hand, looked him/her in the eyes, and walked away thinking that person is pure evil? And then later it was proven true?

Have you ever had a relationship with someone who you found out later committed a heinous crime?

Do you have any good stories of meeting awful people?

Have you ever shaken someone’s hand, looked him/her in the eyes, and walked away thinking that person is pure evil? And then later it was proven true?

Have you ever had a relationship with someone who you found out later committed a heinous crime?

Paul David Smith

He raped a woman in a trailer park on the Sand Road south of Iowa City. When he was finished the woman got up and called the cops. He then raped her again while the cops were on the way. Arrested and put in the Johnson County Jail.

The jail was antiquated and used these old brass keys to lock the doors. The doors also had pass through slots for food being passed through. Using a finger nail file he fashioned a key from the plastic end of a brush and used it to escape from the jail cell by reaching through the food slot. over powered the jailer and escaped.

Recaptured he was sentenced to Ft Madison. Died there after cutting his wrist. From wrist to elbow.

I only had limited contact with him but everyone I knew who did considered him the scariest person they ever met

I was friends/teammates in HS with a guy. When I knew him he was a super nice, peaceful guy. Something happened later on - wrong crowd, drugs, etc. Whatever it was, at some point he snapped and tried to kill his GF. Apparently he didn't kill her, but got really close. So he's in jail for maybe the rest of his life. He's since found the Lord and is involved in different faith-based in-prison activities, but he seems to understand why he's not getting out of jail.

Looks like he went in in 2000, and is first eligible for parole in 2030.

Reactions: ping72
Met? There's a very lengthy list.

Knew personally? A guy I played basketball with in High School. He's currently serving a life sentence for kidnapping and rape.

Reactions: ping72
It has been well documented on here that my neighbor across the street is a suspect in the disappearance of his wife. I have never gotten an uncomfortable vibe from him which makes it hard to reconcile.

The other brush with crazy was a former colleague in Atlanta, Mark Barton. He killed his wife and two kids, then went and shot up two day trading offices before killing himself. He was a suspect in the murder of his first wife and MIL, but there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him.

Used to party with a guy at Okoboji who committed 1st degree murder. Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Worked with another in Sioux City who committed 1st degree murder. Wanted to know what it was like to kill a guy.

The other brush with crazy was a former colleague in Atlanta, Mark Barton. He killed his wife and two kids, then went and shot up two day trading offices before killing himself. He was a suspect in the murder of his first wife and MIL, but there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him.

I remember that event well. My buddy (accountant) had a client who was one of the victims. The city was on a bit of a lockdown for a couple of hours. Pretty scary.

Reactions: jasonrann
John Gotti and Clayton Fountain. Though I never shook hands with either, I had to talk to them occasionally. Most have never heard of Fountain, though he's legendary in the Federal Prison System and there's an interesting book about him.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I interviewed James Klindt once after he got out of prison. He actually opened a taco stand in davenport. He made pretty good tacos, for a white, murdering chiropractor.

I live very close to his "castle" house. My brother went to school with his son. Joyce was in the PTA with my mom.

Reactions: torbee
I remember that event well. My buddy (accountant) had a client who was one of the victims. The city was on a bit of a lockdown for a couple of hours. Pretty scary.

I had not been paying attention to the news that day. When I got home, the ex-wife (no pic) had the national news on as I walked into the house and his picture and name were on the screen. It was crazy. I spoke with the murdered wife almost every day for several years.

Mine would have been a few of my former students. One set of twins would dump boxes of tacks in their neighbors yard to watch the dogs yelp when they stepped on them. Evil little bastards. Both are now in jail.

Reactions: pink shizzle
I've never met or shaken hands with anyone who is in the evil/criminal category that I know of. I've never met trump or haven't shaken his hand, nor would I since I wouldn't know where it's been.

Reactions: Coronavirus186
I've worked in the court system since 1997 and only feel like I was in the presence of true evil a couple of times. The eyes of evil are what scare me. They are open and looking right at you but devoid of any feeling or life. It made my skin crawl. The worst has a recall date of 11/30/2021 which doesn't give me much comfort. It's a huge shock to me that he hasn't been convicted of murder yet. I have no doubt that he's already killed someone.

2 come to mind. The first, the aforementioned James Klindt. You could see Jim's castle house from the backyard of the house where I grew up in Davenport. Jim's wife, Joyce, was good friends with our next door neighbor. The next door neighbor was her hair dresser and had to testify at trial as to the color of Joyce's pubic hair (i.e. natural hair color) since authorities only found Joyce's torso. Jim and Joyce (and their son, Bart) often came to our block parties. Jim was always a bit off.

The second was Loren Huss. When I was in law school at the Univ. of Iowa, I worked one summer in the legal clinic. Loren was our client, and I had to go to Anamosa's penitentiary to meet with him. Loren was convicted of 1st degree murder of his live-in girlfriend during a psychotic episode and we were trying to get the sentenced reduced. According to Loren, the murder occurred when his girlfriend approached him wearing a white robe and told him to come to bed. At first, Loren thought his girlfriend was Jesus Christ, but then thought it was Satan in disguise because Jesus Christ would never ask another man to come to bed with him. Because of that, Loren felt the need to kill who he thought was Satan.

I interviewed James Klindt once after he got out of prison. He actually opened a taco stand in davenport. He made pretty good tacos, for a white, murdering chiropractor.

I knew his son a little bit in college. He lived on my floor at Iowa Central. Nice kid.

Grew up with a guy named Chris Tilton, later changed his name to Lance Stormm. Played basketball together until he transferred to another school. He was just mean to his bone, got into fights all the time loved to just beat people up. Ended up shooting his girlfriend and the killing himself in Muscatine a few years back.

A different type of evil.

I worked in a adolescent treatment center and one of the boy's father used to glue his penis to a metal shop table and hook a battery up to it.

Another boy's mom used to trick him out. Bring guys back from the bars and molest him. He's in his mid twenties now and continues to piss his bed to keep the men away.

I worked in a adolescent treatment center and one of the boy's father used to glue his penis to a metal shop table and hook a battery up to it.

Another boy's mom used to trick him out. Bring guys back from the bars and molest him. He's in his mid twenties now and continues to piss his bed to keep the men away.
This is unfortunately super common. I never saw someone piss themselves but worked with many young men that had "incontinence" aka "if I shit myself no one will want to touch me there" it was fvcking brutal.

• Sad
Reactions: Hwkfn1
I was friends with (more of a friend of a friend) with Gang Lu.

Partied with him almost every weekend for the better part of 2 years in Iowa City and he went on his killing spree 4 months after I left Iowa City.

Never would have seen it coming as he was overall a nice quiet guy with a language barrier. My friends met him when he was getting bullied at The Airliner and they stepped in to help him out, from then on he could always find the party one of the circle of friends was hosting.

Another friend from Iowa City is sitting in Federal prison for running a massive Ponzi scheme, one of the largest in U.S. history. He was not a smart guy so I can't imagine he pulled it off by himself but he took the fall alone. Scammed millions from people that they will never get back.

Went to H.S. with a guy that committed armed robbery,Kidnapping and assorted other charges in San Francisco a few years after graduation, He was a pretty cool, Well liked guy and his family was well off.

A kid who lived next door to me for a few years growing up got arrested when we were around 20-21 for molesting a little girl.

I didn't know the guy, but my brother went to High school with a guy that was wanted by the FBI. I forget what all he did, but I know he was good at hacking into peoples interwebs. He went to Urbandale in the mid to late 90's. Last name was Rudolph, I think first name was Eric, I forgot though. I can't find anything on the webz.

A classmate who seemed totally normal, went to prison for dating underage girls.

I have a couple. I mentioned in one of JasonRann's neighbor threads that I had a client who was arrested & charged with murder in the disappearance of his first wife (10 or 12 years before I'd met him). They've never found her remains (his family owned a huge piece of property in the mountains in Tennessee, and it was assumed that she was disposed of somewhere there but they never found her body). He claimed that she emptied that bank account & took off while he was at work, leaving at the house their young child (I think the kid was around 2 years old). He took a plea deal & served a year or two in prison on some type of reduced charge. Bright guy who seems very normal; I go back & forth on whether I believe he was guilty, but he probably was.

The others had to do with a couple of guys I'd coached in a youth basketball league a long time ago. Two guys were cousins. I coached them when they were 10-12 years old. Five or so years later, they and another kid I knew tried a home invasion robbery on a house they knew to be owned by a drug dealer. Kicked the door in, and quickly found that the guys in the house were also armed. Gunfight broke out; as they were running one of the cousins got shot in the back of the leg & couldn't run any more. The other two were afraid he'd rat them out, so the cousin executed him, one shot to the head. So one dead, the other two both got life in prison for murder. Gotta love a close-knit family.

Good lord. I hope these parents are dead.

Used to do prison Ministry. I've met quite a few murderers. The worst has since passed away since I met them. One committed a terrible murder in 1968, he was Robert Wiliams who murdered child Paula powers after abducting her and violating her only to dump her body in some field. (there is a legal brief regarding his interrogation used in Law Schools around the country) I've met several rapists as well.

Last edited:
I grew up in Waterloo and our house was at the end of the street and next door was a KFC. When I was little my Mom said I would go outside and walk over to the KFC where the owner would give me a chicken leg until my Mom would realize where I was at and come to get me. My mom said this happened on more than one occasion. The proprietor of the KFC and the one who gave me the chicken legs was John Wayne Gacy.

Two guys that were pure evil

Guy Harvey Baker. Killed two cops and a police dog in Minneapolis in the 90's. I was good childhood friends with his girlfriend and whenever she saw me she would run up and give me a hug. This would drive him into a frenzy. He was former military and was a bad ass. Nobody messed with him because he was bat $hit Crazy. I would try to avoid him or his GF anytime I saw him.

His GF tried to break him out of prison by taping a saw blade to a sprite bottle and chucking it over the prison wall.
His story

Tony Jackson is the other one, I wouldn't say he gave me an uneasy feeling though like Guy did though. Tony seemed like a nice guy, little dumb. My GF was best friends with his GF and we would hang out once or twice a week as we lived a block from each other. He was extremely possessive and wouldn't let her out of his sight. When they broke up he beat her and her dad up. He was a basketball player at NIACC and was a big dude.

A few years later I heard he had written a rap song in prison about killing Jodi Husentruit. I saw that he was a serial rapist in the twin cities. I read up on some of the rapes and they are horrific. He's in Prison for life right where he belongs.

I've also met some crazy mexican mafia guys in the bay area. Epitome of the american nightmare. These guys DGAF about anyone. I lived in a rough area in the East Bay and my neighbor had this guy Antonio staying with him because they were childhood friends and he just got out of prison. One night they were in SF at the bars and Antonio stole some guys cellphone and later that night offered to sell it back to him. He came to a meeting spot with a bunch of friends to get it by force and Antonio pulled out a knife and cut the dudes ear off. I wasn't there as I knew that guy was a ticking time bomb. He would threaten anyone that had something he wanted. Luckily my neighbor realized this and kindly asked him to leave. Not sure what ever happened to that guy but he was a scary dude.

I've also met some crazy mexican mafia guys in the bay area. Epitome of the american nightmare. These guys DGAF about anyone. I lived in a rough area in the East Bay and my neighbor had this guy Antonio staying with him because they were childhood friends and he just got out of prison. One night they were in SF at the bars and Antonio stole some guys cellphone and later that night offered to sell it back to him. He came to a meeting spot with a bunch of friends to get it by force and Antonio pulled out a knife and cut the dudes ear off. I wasn't there as I knew that guy was a ticking time bomb. He would threaten anyone that had something he wanted. Luckily my neighbor realized this and kindly asked him to leave. Not sure what ever happened to that guy but he was a scary dude.

I have been going to a bar where our Steelers fan club meets here in Kansas City for the past 25 years. A couple years ago, one of our members (tough looking dude) brought a couple of his mexican mafia looking friends along. They looked the part, were tatted up, ripped, etc. Pretty much had "don't screw with me" written all over them. They were Cowboys fans so they came in with their gear and a flag. At halftime, one of our elder members (an old Navy guy that recently passed away.) gets up from sitting beside me and says "I'm gonna go fvck with these guys." Luckily, I and another guy followed him and prevented a pretty big throw down. The mexicans were asked to leave and they did peacefully. I felt kind of bad about that since our guy was the instigator. I was nervous as hell leaving after the game because I thought they were going to be waiting outside for us.

OJ Simpson. Met him at the 1993 FSU/ND Game.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT