ADVERTISEMENT

Who takes over for Barry Davis?

Heard lots of names thrown out so far. Some are Cunningham, Bormet, Snyder, Hahn, Pritzlaff, Bono, Popolizzio, Askren, David Taylor, Schwab, and current assistants Rushcell and Brandvold.
If Barry sticks to his norm of guys with a Wisconsin history then Pritzlaff and the two current assistants would make the most sense.To me Cunningham would be the correct choice.Popolizzio would be excellent but NC State is an up and coming power.

For purely selfish reasons I like Askren because he could pull wrestlers away from PSU and fOSU. DT (and Varner) would be even better. But you can bet Cael and Cody and the PSU sugar daddies will continue to lock down their staff and alumni wrestlers.

Reactions: FrontHeadlock2
If Barry sticks to his norm of guys with a Wisconsin history then Pritzlaff and the two current assistants would make the most sense.To me Cunningham would be the correct choice.Popolizzio would be excellent but NC State is an up and coming power.
I have almost heard Brandvold wants to stay as an assistant, but doesn't want the head job.

B&W claims that David Taylor is applying. Does that mean he is giving up on his freestyle career? For Wisky would never hire a part-timer who is still competing as their head coach.

B&W claims that David Taylor is applying. Does that mean he is giving up on his freestyle career? For Wisky would never hire a part-timer who is still competing as their head coach.

Man, I hope not. With UWW going to 10 weights I feel like Taylor can rattle off 2,3,4 World Championships in a row.

Reactions: GG121AND2
Snyder clearly said during one of his many interviews last week, that he plans on wrestling after College for a long time. I'm sure he's glad he won't be dealing with 280 lbers any more.

So if he's doing that, he won't be a Head Coach for anybody. Someone will be lucky to have him. Seems like a great guy to me.

Snyder clearly said during one of his many interviews last week, that he plans on wrestling after College for a long time. I'm sure he's glad he won't be dealing with 280 lbers any more.

So if he's doing that, he won't be a Head Coach for anybody. Someone will be lucky to have him. Seems like a great guy to me.
Bryan Snyder from Nebraska. Sorry it was supposed to say also heard.

Reactions: el dub
I didn't read any of this thread, but I worry about Michigan making a big splash.
The real question is, can they write a bigger check to Cael than PSU can? That's a pretty big splash.

And before anyone says that can't happen, guess what, it already did.

Reactions: Dagboi
I have to think that it's Bono's job if he wants it, but does he want it? He's done AMAZING work in Brookings SD of all places. He's like the mayor there, so he may not want to leave...

I hope this happens and Gross comes back to finish what he started.

You would have to think Bormet will get the Michigan job and Wisconsin will get their pick at the rest. Any rumblings of any other jobs coming open?

I have to think that it's Bono's job if he wants it, but does he want it? He's done AMAZING work in Brookings SD of all places. He's like the mayor there, so he may not want to leave...

For both Bono or Schwab, short of Wisc obviously being more salary, is it a better job right now? Tougher to get Wisc going again in the brutal big ten or keep it going pretty well in the Big 12 like Bono and Schwab do right now?

Reactions: UNI_HAWKS
FRL reported that Bono and Kohl were confirmed applicants. Schwab was rumored but they seemed to doubt he’d leave CF, IA Wrestle said the same. They also mentioned a likely reason McFarland retired is because they didn’t want to lose Bormet to the Wisconsin job.
Personally I think Bono would be a great choice. He could elevate the energy in that program very quickly.
I’m almost a little surprised there is not even a mention of Zadick. It’s still a little early but I thought he might at least come up in discussion.

FRL reported that Bono and Kohl were confirmed applicants. Schwab was rumored but they seemed to doubt he’d leave CF, IA Wrestle said the same. They also mentioned a likely reason McFarland retired is because they didn’t want to lose Bormet to the Wisconsin job.
Personally I think Bono would be a great choice. He could elevate the energy in that program very quickly.
I’m almost a little surprised there is not even a mention of Zadick. It’s still a little early but I thought he might at least come up in discussion.

I'm glad Schwab is staying put. Regarding Bono, I know there is a larger salary in play with Wisconsin, and I would assume(although I dont honestly know ) an upgrade in facilities over SDSU. But with that said, with the position he has SDSU in (and in reality, a fairly weak Big 12) and the position Wisc is in right now(in the brutal Big Ten), salary aside, which position is better?

Last edited:
SIAP - at least as long as Nelson is.
The only point was, don't move Terry back over to the HWC and bring Perry into the college corner, which someone up the thread had suggested doing. You break up the Terry-Spencer connection right now and you are Yono F*cking Ono....

giphy.gif

Kohl?

I'm glad Schwab is staying put. Regarding Bono, I know there is a larger salary in play with Wisconsin, and I would assume(although I dont honestly know ) an upgrade in facilities over SDSU. But with that said, with the position he has SDSU in (and in reality, a fairly weak Big 12) and the position Wisc is in right now(in the brutal Big Ten), salary aside, which position is better?

Wisconsin. No question. Higher profile school. Access to better athletes. More pay. Fighting for 4th in the B1G is better than fighting for 2nd in the B12.

Reactions: jvclark
Kohl?

Wisconsin. No question. Higher profile school. Access to better athletes. More pay. Fighting for 4th in the B1G is better than fighting for 2nd in the B12.
My bad I said Kohl, meant Damian Hahn. I get all of those Cornell guys confused. And to top it all off, it’s actually spelled Koll...

Reactions: SPOONER
Asskren siad on his podcast it’s down to him, Bono, and Hahn

Think it’s Bono’s to lose and Hahn is great but doesn’t have the name recognition.

Hate to say it, but askren would be my choice. He’d bring excitement and instant name recognition to Wisconsin. Kids know him from mma and he’s a good technician

Reactions: Huck

Kohl? You mean Koll the Cornell guy?

Reactions: UNI_HAWKS
I would guess Pritzlaff or Howe would be good places to start. But I would not mind them taking Cunningham and seeing what affect it has on PSU. As much as PSU likes to claim its recent dominance of the sport - don’t forget that Iowa recruits against itself every year when it has to go up against Iowa alum in Goldman, Ersland, Dresser, Davis, Zalesky, Tom Ryan, etc. Iowa’s marketing pitch is also used by all those head coaches. Then throw in Metcalf, St. John, Borschel, Zadick, etc and it gets even harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT