ADVERTISEMENT

Who thought the hawks would need to slow down Tyrone Tracy this Saturday.

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Tyrone showed plenty of running skills at Iowa on reverses, jet sweeps, out of the shotgun and after catching passes. He is a top running back at Purdue now and he had 110+ yards yesterday against the Illini. Analysts say the Illini Dee is not as good as last year but it is still a Big 10 defense.

So Purdue will be throwing Tracy and Mockabee at the hawks in a effort to get more defenders at the LOS and maybe to get the hawks in man to man more.

I know very little about Purdue's offensive line but the MSU OLine was opening some holes and getting some very good runs. I think the hawks will have to really slow down Purdue's run game as a contrast to normally having to stop their passing game.

Reactions: IowasLaw
If I remember correctly Iowa tried to get Tyrone to switch to RB and he was adamant that he was a wide receiver and that is where he would stay. Then he switches to Purdue and last year discovered that wasn't the place for him after all and now he is rolling pretty good at RB.

If I remember correctly Iowa tried to get Tyrone to switch to RB and he was adamant that he was a wide receiver and that is where he would stay. Then he switches to Purdue and last year discovered that wasn't the place for him after all and now he is rolling pretty good at RB.
Do not worry. Our offense will once again be dominant! Heck , in our last game we steamrolled nearly 55 yards each quarter. ( it does sound pretty pathetic when expressed as yards per quarter)😩

• Haha
Reactions: BHCrusader2010
Tracy did not move to RB until this past offseason. He is a very good runner, and is the #1 now because Mockobee has like 5 fumbles already this year. Purdue's o-line is not very good. Better now that they have Hartwig back at C but they get lots of penalties and are overall not a great unit.

Was he their running back last year? Chuck Sizzle was their offense last year.
As Hud628 said, Tracy was still at WR last year. And as also said he asked the Iowa Staff to play running back but really Goodson and Sargent were here.

Should have added RE the o-line that they are absolutely horrendous in short yardage. That has been the biggest issue outside of some egregious D. Lost count already of all the 3rd and 4th and 1 failures

Tracy did not move to RB until this past offseason. He is a very good runner, and is the #1 now because Mockobee has like 5 fumbles already this year. Purdue's o-line is not very good. Better now that they have Hartwig back at C but they get lots of penalties and are overall not a great unit.
Huh... Sounds like advantage Purdue.

400+yds and 44pts vs Illni
PSU 380yds and 30pts...Purdue isnt shabby.

The issue will be keeping contain and filling gaps for their cutback scheme.

It's similar to Iowa's in that their runs will stretch and then provide lanes to make one cut and dart up field against teams that over-pursue or fail to establish outside contain.

Iowa has struggled with the latter the most this year (at least on the DL), often getting baited into getting turned inside and allowing runners to bounce it outside forcing the LBs and DBs to have to pursue the play, often being broken tackles away from giving up big gains or even touchdowns. Fortunately, we've been a fairly good tackling team this year (save for Penn State, though there's obvious reasons for that). That doesn't mean that we won't have, or haven't had stretches of poor tackling, which could lead to breakdowns and scoring opportunities for the opponent.

That's part of the reason why most fans are laughing and at the same time cursing everyone associated with Iowa's offense, because of the biggest f***ing lie/joke in P5 CFB.....that Iowa's offense plays complimentary football along with it's defense and special teams.

Iowa's offense doesn't really ever do much in the way of putting Iowa's defense in ideal positions, all the while asking everything of the defense, and if there's ever any breakdowns (i.e. missed tackles) that lead to points, that only puts our leeching offense in a worse position to have to recover from, which is something they actively both fear and try to avoid in the most visible, noticeable way possible, and that only incentivizes our opponents to try even harder against us, when that aspect alone should never be something you allow your opponent to see in you, in any sports, but especially such a physical game like football.

But to return to the original topic, assuming Iowa's DL can continue to improve and study gamefilm of how all their opponents are adopting the same approach now to attack the defense, and Phil and Co. make the proper adjustments, then I wouldn't worry too much about Purdue running all over Kinnick on us...................................................but that's assuming.

Reactions: obfuscating
Tyrone showed plenty of running skills at Iowa on reverses, jet sweeps, out of the shotgun and after catching passes. He is a top running back at Purdue now and he had 110+ yards yesterday against the Illini. Analysts say the Illini Dee is not as good as last year but it is still a Big 10 defense.

So Purdue will be throwing Tracy and Mockabee at the hawks in a effort to get more defenders at the LOS and maybe to get the hawks in man to man more.

I know very little about Purdue's offensive line but the MSU OLine was opening some holes and getting some very good runs. I think the hawks will have to really slow down Purdue's run game as a contrast to normally having to stop their passing game.
Not sure about their oline, but ours is paper mache

The best way to slow him down is to put him back on our offense.

sadly this reminds me of AJ "I wanna play quarterback even though I suck" Derby transfered twice and ended up playing TE.........the position Iowa wanted him at. He might be a rich man if his ego didn't get in the way.

outlook-not-so-good.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT