ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would Iowa Go After When Brands Retires?

I 100 percent would vote for Lee … He not only has the talent but he has the people skills to be a home run recruiter and coach. Lee has that unique/infectious personality that will transition well for him as a coach. He has mentioned in the past wanting to coach when his career is finished… If TB goes another 8-10 years will set up nicely for Lee… I know star athletes don’t always transition to being a good coach but Lee simply has “it.” The brains, the skills, the personality …

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t know how great of a coach Lee will make or if he’ll even want to.

Put me down for Kem in 5-6 years who I think has all the qualities to make a tremendous coach in the future, if Ryan doesn’t take over…. Which id be perfectly happy with. I’d also like to do whatever possible to keep Big Cass around the program as long as possible.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t know how great of a coach Lee will make or if he’ll even want to.

Put me down for Kem in 5-6 years who I think has all the qualities to make a tremendous coach in the future, if Ryan doesn’t take over…. Which id be perfectly happy with. I’d also like to do whatever possible to keep Big Cass around the program as long as possible.
honestly I would think Morningstar would be an obvious candidate….. should be anyway…..I thought of Kemerer too but wondered if he wanted to come back

Reactions: 12tdsaw and Gobblin
honestly I would think Morningstar would be an obvious candidate….. should be anyway…..I thought of Kemerer too but wondered if he wanted to come back
Just wishful thinking. Mike may be thriving with a lucrative Wall Street career and have no interest in coaching in the future. I just know the type of man he is and feel like he’d make a great coach. No clue if he’d want to be at this level though. There isn’t much he couldn’t be great at.. Other than basketball.

I 100 percent would vote for Lee … He not only has the talent but he has the people skills to be a home run recruiter and coach. Lee has that unique/infectious personality that will transition well for him as a coach. He has mentioned in the past wanting to coach when his career is finished… If TB goes another 8-10 years will set up nicely for Lee… I know star athletes don’t always transition to being a good coach but Lee simply has “it.” The brains, the skills, the personality …
I’d like to see Spencer as an assistant under Brands for a year or two then a nice smooth transition. New facilities will be swinging by then.

Lee is kind of a quiet leader so I would tend to believe you might be right. But he has said that he’s thought about coaching. After he graduates, I’m sure Spencer will stick around the program. We’ll see what happens then. If he wants it, I think it’s his. Assuming he’s hands on and in a grad assist role. Why can’t Lee be the head coach, Kem for the middle weights and big Cass the Heavy. Similar to what we have now, but next generation. If I got to pick, that would be mine.

Reactions: Gobblin
Lee is kind of a quiet leader so I would tend to believe you might be right. But he has said that he’s thought about coaching. After he graduates, I’m sure Spencer will stick around the program. We’ll see what happens then. If he wants it, I think it’s his. Assuming he’s hands on and in a grad assist role. Why can’t Lee be the head coach, Kem for the middle weights and big Cass the Heavy. Similar to what we have now, but next generation. If I got to pick, that would be mine.
Not sure a leader has to be loud.

I think Lee will be good at whatever he puts his mind to.

I know a lot of you guys love Lee, but as (what I consider myself to be) a neutral observer I am not so sure. Maybe if I had some personal interactions with him, I would agree, but his persona in front of a camera does not give me the impression that he would be a great coach. Kemmerer does give off that persona.
Maybe my expectations for Lee are too high because he is such a dominant wrestler.

Spencer Lee is the only answer if he wants it someday. If he doesn't then it would get interesting. I can't imagine that Iowa would have a head coach who doesn't have Olympic experience let alone a gold medal. That means you would have to go out of the family. I would throw everything at David Taylor. But I also know that I have a lot different opinion of him than a lot of other posters on here.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Mineo? Haha. I agree that you throw everything you have at Burroughs, dake and Taylor and if it works out, let the chips fall. Spencer will be fine focusing on free for a while. If TnT are to stay as long as I assume they will, then the option will be Spencer and Spencer alone. And it won’t be a bad one. He already has great connections as everyone who has trained with him loves him (see steveson, Dennis, Kevin Jackson, Burroughs etc.). They’ve all ranted and raved about him and respect him so…yeah, he will be fine. I’ve also heard the kids are really engaged when he does clinics too and they just flock to him. He has that quality. Saw it years ago and doubt it’ll go away.

Reactions: nikko57
Spencer Lee is the only answer if he wants it someday. If he doesn't then it would get interesting. I can't imagine that Iowa would have a head coach who doesn't have Olympic experience let alone a gold medal. That means you would have to go out of the family. I would throw everything at David Taylor. But I also know that I have a lot different opinion of him than a lot of other posters on here.
Want nothing to do with DT. He's great wrestler, but not our wrestler. We need someone not associated with the nits, unless they have State of Iowa heritage in some way. Only Carl (ISU grad) and Gilman have that. The first won't be interested and the second won't be ready.

I know a lot of you guys love Lee, but as (what I consider myself to be) a neutral observer I am not so sure. Maybe if I had some personal interactions with him, I would agree, but his persona in front of a camera does not give me the impression that he would be a great coach. Kemmerer does give off that persona.
Maybe my expectations for Lee are too high because he is such a dominant wrestler.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Lee is smart, communicates well and is the best wrestler to come out of that program in a long time.

Spencer will want his chance for Olympic gold. Don’t believe his knees will hold up for another cycle. Upon graduation immediately make him an assistant. After Olympic cycle promote to assistant HC. 1-2 years later take over as HC.

Reactions: el dub
I think Spencer will be best suited for a very similar role as Terry has now…. That’s all I was getting at.

My ideal scenario when TnT hang it up would be HC- Morningstar
Asst HC- Lee
Assistant- Kem
Assistant- Cass
Volunteer assistant- Eierman

Reactions: natchrlman
I think Spencer will be best suited for a very similar role as Terry has now…. That’s all I was getting at.

My ideal scenario when TnT hang it up would be HC- Morningstar
Asst HC- Lee
Assistant- Kem
Assistant- Cass
Volunteer assistant- Eierman
I think Spencer potentially has better speaking, and people skills than you’re giving him credit for. He’s way ahead of the Brands brothers at this point of his career emotionally and intellectually than they were as seniors, imo.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Lee is smart, communicates well and is the best wrestler to come out of that program in a long time.
I think it is a case of needing to meet him in person, because everyone rants and raves about him. I am just saying from what I have seen and heard in interviews, he is not earth shaking. I think of Jordan Burroughs as earth shaking in interviews. If Spencer is that amazing in person, it will definitely translate to recruiting.
I agree that he is way ahead of where the Brands bros were at this point in their career in regards to persona, although I even enjoyed the Brands when they were younger more than I enjoy listening to Spencer now. JMHO

Reactions: el dub
Box 1: you target the very best non-Iowa head coach you can get
Box 2: interview the best Iowa tie guys, sitting HC and non-HC

Iowa is a top two job in country, you swing for the fence if there isn't a no brainer Iowa guy.

I also think Tom has much more than 5-7 years left.

A name I have not heard mentioned yet - Mark Perry... He may throw his hat in the ring...
Mehh ….. I mean he would be a logical candidate….. didn’t he kinda split on the HWC position and take some of the women wrestlers with him?

I could be completely off base but can’t imagine him coaching wrestlers to wrestle his style because few can…… doesn’t mean he doesn’t know his stuff……. I just don’t see it

I think it is a case of needing to meet him in person, because everyone rants and raves about him. I am just saying from what I have seen and heard in interviews, he is not earth shaking. I think of Jordan Burroughs as earth shaking in interviews. If Spencer is that amazing in person, it will definitely translate to recruiting.
I agree that he is way ahead of where the Brands bros were at this point in their career in regards to persona, although I even enjoyed the Brands when they were younger more than I enjoy listening to Spencer now. JMHO
I hear earth shaking remarks from him. Usually aimed at team success and cohesion.

I’m not sure how you can compare a person out of college for a decade to a senior in college. What did you hear Burroughs say while he was in college that made you think he’d be a better coach?

SL has a freestyle career ahead of him, hopefully. I’m guessing he will develop as a leader in the next decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT