ADVERTISEMENT

Who Would Iowa Go After When Brands Retires?

herkcy

HR All-State
Nov 7, 2002
I know this is down the road, but who would Barta (if it's him) go after?

-Tom Ryan: Would he be interested in seeing what he could accomplish in the mecca? Would Iowa be interested? He's the same age as Tom, so would he be close to retiring as well?
-Doug Schwab: Seems to be some bad blood with Iowa, or maybe just the staff, or maybe not? He was a heck of a wrestler here. A heck of a recruiter. Not trying to knock him, but does what he's accomplished at UNI qualify him?
-Tony Ersland: Not the pedigree competitive career. Hasn't gotten Purdue over the AA hump yet. One of the best recruiter's out there. Seems open to push the envelope as long as compliance gives him ok.
-Kevin Dresser: Similar to Schwab in all aspects. Is he going to retire before Tom as he's much older?
-Brent Metcalf: See Dresser & Schwab.
-Pat Popolizio: Does Iowa go outside it's tree.
-Ryan Morningstar: Nothing really needs to be pointed out with him.

Did I miss anyone with a legitimate shot?

Ramos brought this up recently...

Interesting...

LOL WTF? The very thought of Gilman as the next HC at Iowa disqualifies Ramos himself.

Im not so sure Barta is going to survive the football fiasco and his previous blunders but I’m sure Ramos would be on the short list. I’m guessing our next HC is currently on the roster if he is interested.

Barta is nearing retirement. Highly unlikely he will be around when Brands is done. Brands’ retirement is 6-7 years out and Spencer Lee is the next Iowa HC. (Yes, I’m that guy.)

People who need to be considered:

David Taylor (likely won't leave state college)
Jordan Burroughs (I think he would be interested)
Kyle Dake (see above)
Spencer Lee (let's see how his last season and freestyle career goes first)

I think there would certainly be a lengthy "second tier" of guys like schwab, Ramos, etc but I think the AD should look at younger guys whose names will draw in top recruits.

I think Gilman has a slight edge over Tom Ryan.
Lee,Morningstar,Ironside and The Bull works for me, although a guy from the outside like James Green would be a solid addition.
Edit: So everyone is clear, my TG and TR take was obviously a poke and a large JOKE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Morningstar would deserve consideration…. Marinelli Spencer Lee …., give me Mark Ironside

Given that Brands is several years out you’re going with a guy like in his 50s who hasn’t coached in 25+ years. That’s the guy you’re handing the keys to the kingdom to?

That’s reeee-itch.

I have to admit that the hypocrisy of the psycho thing crossed my mind as I was being dismissive of Gilman.

Last edited:
To borrow a line from SCARFACE " Whats da matter wit dis guy" I would just add an S to make it plural!!!

You all must be smoking some good stuff!?!?!? Tom Ryan, Gilman, metcalf, morningstar etc..... NO disrespect to any of these fine men, but really???? Ryan is the same age and besides bringing experience, what else would he be offering and why would he leave where he is at?

Gilman the great now!?!?!? Maybe win an Olympic Gold and get back to me! Most of the others mentioned do not bring the STAR power.

Right now it is SPENCER LEE or bust!!! With 2 good wheels this kid IS THE BEST WRESTLER IN THE WORLD!!! I hope to GOD his knees can hold up for several years so everyone can see just how dominate he is. My guess is he would TECH Gilman!

Now if you are going to pull anyone from outside in. The very first guy I would go after would be Snyder. That would help a great deal with the upper/heavy weights. Obviously a taylor or Dake as mentioned would be great. You could add Cox also.

Outside of Lee, Burroughs is the only other man I could think of that would bring the STAR power right now. Hoping that some of these other young studs get to another level and become part of this conversation because we could use it right about now!

Given that Brands is several years out you’re going with a guy like in his 50s who hasn’t coached in 25+ years. That’s the guy you’re handing the keys to the kingdom to?

I have to admit that the hypocrisy of the psycho thing crossed my mind as I was being dismissive of Gilman.
I’ve known Mark since he was a kid….,hard to imagine him being 50’s in 6 or 7 years…… jeez that makes me feel old….. He could coach and he’s good at everything he does…. no clue if he’d even be interested though

Just spitballing and it appears every one has already anointed Spencer anyway

Reactions: el dub

We might need someone to keep the seat warm for SL. We don’t need a lasting dynasty. Just a few years for SL to conquer the world a few times.

Reactions: edohawk
I’ve known Mark since he was a kid….,hard to imagine him being 50’s in 6 or 7 years…… jeez that makes me feel old….. He could coach and he’s good at everything he does…. no clue if he’d even be interested though

I believe Mark is 48 so he'll be 50 in the next couple years

• Wow
Reactions: natchrlman

Mark was a 1993 HS grad. He's gotta be within 2-3 years of 50.

Guys like Tom Ryan and Kevin Dresser will retire before Tom does, imo. It's easy to eliminate those guys.

There will be no shortage of top guys interested when the time comes. Coaching at Iowa is a top shelf gig.

To borrow a line from SCARFACE " Whats da matter wit dis guy" I would just add an S to make it plural!!!

You all must be smoking some good stuff!?!?!? Tom Ryan, Gilman, metcalf, morningstar etc..... NO disrespect to any of these fine men, but really???? Ryan is the same age and besides bringing experience, what else would he be offering and why would he leave where he is at?

Gilman the great now!?!?!? Maybe win an Olympic Gold and get back to me! Most of the others mentioned do not bring the STAR power.

Right now it is SPENCER LEE or bust!!! With 2 good wheels this kid IS THE BEST WRESTLER IN THE WORLD!!! I hope to GOD his knees can hold up for several years so everyone can see just how dominate he is. My guess is he would TECH Gilman!

Now if you are going to pull anyone from outside in. The very first guy I would go after would be Snyder. That would help a great deal with the upper/heavy weights. Obviously a taylor or Dake as mentioned would be great. You could add Cox also.

Outside of Lee, Burroughs is the only other man I could think of that would bring the STAR power right now. Hoping that some of these other young studs get to another level and become part of this conversation because we could use it right about now!
Took the words right out of my mouth. SPOT ON!

Reactions: IRONBIRD
First call has got to be to the head of the evil empire, right? Carl can show everyone he doesn't need the slush fund to win. :)
toilet paper animation GIF by Rough Sketchz

I was obviously completely joking about the possibility of Ryan or Gilman. I do like the point about Snyder and agree, but I see him as a freestyle coach. He seems to have more of an international flair to him and I can see him taking over the US team, plus they will not let him out of state college if he intends to coach college.

In order.

1. Casey (break them up)
2. DT
3. Gilman (has been at both programs)
4. Morningstar
5. Spencer

Hopefully they put more effort into it then they did with the HWC coaching position. I like Dennis but he should be the assistant to a bigger name.

Reactions: Jaybird319
In order.

1. Casey (break them up)
2. DT
3. Gilman (has been at both programs)
4. Morningstar
5. Spencer
Outside of Spencer Lee, I don't like this list at all. Two diehard nits before hothead G-man, and then M*, who might be a great recruiter, but I don't see him as the next head coach of Iowa wrestling. I think highly of Ironside as a man, a coach, and a businessman, but he chose another path many years ago.

I'd say the best bet hands down is Spencer Lee, after TnT leave for administrative positions in about 7-10 years. Lee has the talent, the personality, the attitude, and the smarts to lead us to more success.

If you really must have new blood, then get someone like Kohl or Popolizio to finish their career here, people with years of proven D1 coaching success. With Iowa fans and money, either of these guys could produce some champs.

It takes awhile to develop into a good coach/leader/manager. It means learning all the facets to include recruiting, budgeting, logistics and personnel. Between Brands and Spencer, there would probably have to be a bridge (Morningstar?) unless Spencer got on staff soon. Tom was a 3 timer, world/olympic champ and even he had to pay his dues. What that looks like for Spencer, I don't know.

Just based on an eyeball test, here would be my candidates from both inside and outside the program in no particular order:

Ramos
Schwab
Morningstar
Metcalf
Kemerer
Marinelli
Lee
B. Zadick

This might be 10-15 years off for the one of the younger guys. Marinelli has been the vocal leader at Iowa since he's been here. From what I heard, Kemerer is the one who is most "coach-ready" right now. Ramos, Star, Metcalf are already in their "dues paying period." I like Doug and think he would do well at Iowa with a bigger bat.

My outside the program guys would include:

Casey
Pendleton
Grey
Yianni

Reactions: Gobblin and hawx
To stay inside the Iowa “family” we would realistically have wanted to go with the best guys from the Zalesky era as they would have the opportunity to achieve their competitive goals and be seasoned HC’s. That gives us Jurgens/Strittmatter/Schwab/Zadick. Of that group, Schwab has the best resume and track record at the college level.

Timeline-wise, an early Brands-era wrestler might also fit if they are an up-and-comer and/or prove-out as an HC by the time he retires. Perry/Metcalf/Dennis/Ramos/Morningstar are the ones I’m aware of that are on a trajectory that could get there. I fear that Morningstar will be a Zalesky to Brands’ Gable if he doesn’t get HC experience somewhere else first. Of the rest of that group, Perry seems to have the best potential but a mixed relationship with Iowa wrestling right now. Sunkist also seems like a good gig for him.

A third option would be to reach for a late Gable era HC to be a short-term band-aid. Tom Ryan is the only one I can think of with the pedigree Iowa would want. I saw someone above mention Tony Ersland. I love Ersland (I got my Masters at Purdue) but I love him for Purdue. I don’t see him at Iowa. Bill Zadick seems unlikely as he has a good gig with USAW and not enough (no?) college experience. Given all these options I suppose we could hand the reins over to Terry for a few years depending on the overall situation around Tom’s timing and circumstances, but I assume that’s unlikely.

The fourth option is to bank on Spencer Lee. That option carries risk as it relies on the expectation that Spencer is a 4x, WC, OC, AND proves to be a good coach and administrator. I think that’s a good bet, but wrestling is a cruel sport and nothing is “given.” It also assumes that Brands is there passing the reins. It also assumes that the future AD doesn’t want to do his own thing.

We do have the option to do what we did with Gable and go outside the Hawkeye family. Dake/Taylor/Snyder/Burroughs are building/have the competitive resumes needed but not the coaching experience. Established, Non-Iowa, Non-Cael, Non-John Smith, HC’s like Brian Smith, Zeke Jones, and Rob Koll are similar enough in age to Brands to make them unlikely. The other options that come to mind: Pat Popolizzio and Cary Kolat are young enough to still be short-term options, but they’d be at the end of their careers and probably more disruptive than helpful if brought in for “just a few years.” Most of these choices, however, would probably box-out Spencer depending who and how old the candidate is.

Summary: Right now, I think we have all our eggs in the Spencer Lee basket. None of the other Gable/Zalesky/early Brands guys are an obvious “yes.” Non-Hawkeye Coaches are at best short term options that carry risks. Current Team USA guys haven’t proved it as coaches and probably box out Spencer. I think it’s Spencer or bust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT