ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't we pick up James Green?

pml_dad

All-Conference
Feb 27, 2019
Damn, he would've been a good get plus a great partner for Marinelli and Kennedy. I KNEW he was vulnerable to moving, I just felt it with the obvious situation in Lincoln with him and Burroughs. It's just about the same situation we had with Spencer and Gilman. IMO we kinda whiffed on that if there were no feelers/recruiting attempts made. It seems like a lay-up to me. Our funding situation has to appeal to athletes specifically in JG situation, which is making long term repeated runs at world and Olympic teams. The recruiting boost would be welcome too. I'm just trying to be proactive, not overly critical, but who else is left that was in a situation that easy to read who's also consistently made world teams while bring home a Silver and Bronze at the WC? Nobody that isn't attached to the NLWC. Anyway, my two cents is it feels like a whiff. And on the off chance that we did send feelers out James Green's way then I apologize, however I'm fairly certain we did no such thing.
For updates sake, Green just made the move to the Southeast RTC (Virginia Tech)

Reactions: 6packgone
Because we are saving money to get J’den Cox

It felt like JG was warm, Huskers don't ever say anything positive about the Hawkeyes! It probably didn't mean s***, but if we get J'den instead I will 100% endorse "the plan".

Woops, I guess we have 2 JG threads now, twice the fun.

Green seems like he’s on his way out. Not that he can’t make a team but besides top hawkeye’s prob need to bring in some serious firepower if possible - like cox.

Last edited:
Why is everyone bringing up Cox? He JUST moved to Ohio RTC to train under Tervel.

Did I miss something?
He's not actually there full time from what I remember. He spends one week a month in Columbus I believe or something like that. KJ is still his primary coach and I don't think he's really that interested in changing. I think tOSU had to pay him a pretty good sum just to get 1 week out of him.

The illinois RTC did something with some of the Greco athletes. They somehow became members of the IRTC, but still were living in Colorado Springs and basically being paid thru the Army. They come and train every so often in Illinois. I am not sure of all the details, but it sounds like Cox has a similar situation going on with Ohio RTC.

Why is everyone bringing up Cox? He JUST moved to Ohio RTC to train under Tervel.

Did I miss something?
Not with me. I was saying it in jest. It would be a dream scenario to have him. As far as I know, it’s not reality

Probably more has to do with Marinelli coming into 74KG after this year and Lugo going to be at 70KG. Not to mention Kennedy will be knocking some heads around. I think the only "outsider" we may need would be at the upper weights.

Reactions: tiltman
Probably more has to do with Marinelli coming into 74KG after this year and Lugo going to be at 70KG. Not to mention Kennedy will be knocking some heads around. I think the only "outsider" we may need would be at the upper weights.
Love those two but I hope we aren't putting all our eggs in their baskets for senior level success.

I guess I’ll take the beating but Marinelli hasn’t lived up to the hype. Yes this year could of been his coming out party but who knows. Marinelli is a great young man but hasn’t shown up in postseason. I’m willing to give him a break on his freshman year but two years ago was him just freezing in the moment. I know get the torches ready. I’m a troll.

I guess I’ll take the beating but Marinelli hasn’t lived up to the hype. Yes this year could of been his coming out party but who knows. Marinelli is a great young man but hasn’t shown up in postseason. I’m willing to give him a break on his freshman year but two years ago was him just freezing in the moment. I know get the torches ready. I’m a troll.
Marinelli’s NCAA losses are to:
2x NCAA Champ Isaiah Martinez
3x AA (Probably 4x) David McFadden
2x AA (Probably 3x) Evan Wick
NCAA Champ Mekhi Lewis
2x AA Chance Marsteller

It’s not like he has lost to nobody. He was the #1 seed at NCAA’s this year.

BOO!!! BOO THIS MAN!!

I guess Cenzo froze against Lewis as well. Sometimes you just get beat by the better wrestler.

I wasn't paying attention 100%, but on his interview on FRL he said he wanted to try to have a future in coaching at his new location. He mentioned how a few schools, I think Iowa being one of them (could be wrong, can't remember 100%), were basically already stacked with guys that were likely going to become coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT