ADVERTISEMENT

Why do I believe?

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Why do I believe the Hawks really screwed this up? ISU has Cody Chittum and the Hawks will be very lucky to have Angelo as part of the team for next year. Who knows what damage has been created because of the grand Frankenstin experiment gone very bad?

• Sad
Reactions: ikS and el dub
Why do I believe the Hawks really screwed this up? ISU has Cody Chittum and the Hawks will be very lucky to have Angelo as part of the team for next year. Who knows what damage has been created because of the grand Frankenstin experiment gone very bad?
The amount of bad luck seems to be unprecedented.

Nate Jesuroga lost to become a navy seal.

Chittum lost to Iowa st.

Angelo lost to his brothers actions.

Kueter lost essentially to football.

Gambling probe. Lost 4 starters.

Not sure what else could go wrong here, but the back to back years 2020-2021 championship seems a far way off now.

Last edited:

That's because they did. Hitching themselves to the Ferrari train to make up for abject recruiting failure was a terrible move from Day 1. Anyone with a working brain could see this.

The hawks also have the guy that beat Chittum and is ranked second. Use NIL and the hawks built in advantage of a fan base to get proven winners going forward.

The game has changed and I believe it’s in the hawks factor due to the amount of support our fans give. Time to use it. Once built and we start winning we’ll be able to start picking off more of the top 10 lb for lb guys.

I really wouldn’t recruit a kid hard out of high school unless you believe he will contend for AA status as a freshman.

1) Iowa has Franek for 2 more months.
2) Chittum has 2 months and 3 years
3) Chittum almost won
4) Paying for mercenaries via the portal will never result in consistency

Regarding 4) - Iowa has had a lot of success with the transfer portal. Desanto, Lugo, Eierman, Woods, Franek, Caliendo. I imagine only PSU has faired better (and it might be close).

I agree with your point though, that transfer portal alone can't be replied upon to compete for championships.

Iowa desperately needs to improve recruiting. The transfer portal should be supplemental and used to fill holes. Recruiting should be the foundation. That is what separates Iowa and PSU.

3) Chittum almost won
Chittum has also bounced around his fair share, no guarantees he is there more than two months either.

Paying mercenaries will work better than most other sports because they are not playing as a team, so no need for time to “gel”.

Ideally you would be able to recruit all of the top kids and bring in transfers to displace the ones not living up to their billing. However, there is only one team that is able to do that at this point.

While Iowa rebuilds their brand as the best training option they will need to bring in guys from other programs to overtake PSU. Hoping to out recruit and develop those kids is a huge task and even if you “hit” On a high percentage of guys it takes much longer than bringing in outside guys at the end of the season.

I don’t expect you to agree with me as your agenda is to keep PSU on top for as long as possible. Don’t fault you for that, but your opinion is certainly conflicted.

Chittum lost to Iowa st.

Not sure what else could go wrong here, but the back to back years 2020-2021 championship seems a far way off now.
Throw in Spencer losing.

Regarding 4) - Iowa has had a lot of success with the transfer portal. Desanto, Lugo, Eierman, Woods, Franek, Caliendo. I imagine only PSU has faired better (and it might be close).
PSU's success with the portal only rivals Iowa's if you include Kerk and Mesenbrink, who technically portalled, but never actually wrestled for their original teams. If you consider them recommitments of recruits, which is closer to the truth for those guys, then PSU's portal gem is Dean, who obviously won a title, and they have Nagao and Truax now who look good so far but we'll see come March, but their other portal guys have not had much success, especially post-season (e.g. Hildebrandt, Conel, Berge Sr Yr, Kuhn, Keener). Their track record doesn't hold a candle to Eierman, Lugo, Woods, ADS, Franek/Caliendo, etc. Recruiting & development are where they have crushed everyone else. I'm not going back far enough to consider pre-portal transfers like Taylor at the start of Cael's tenure.

Chittum lost to Iowa st.

Man i never looked at it from this view. Those losses are the difference between beating/competing with PSU to possibly be fighting for placing with mich/osu/cornell/nebby/ncst continually getting closer.

If any program can survive this let it be us! May take a couple yrs though.

3) Chittum almost won

franek was recruited after chittum left. get your facts straight brain

what was that?

MQLxBU.gif

• Haha
Reactions: honkey69
That's because they did. Hitching themselves to the Ferrari train to make up for abject recruiting failure was a terrible move from Day 1. Anyone with a working brain could see this.
And there's the problem.

I agree with your point though, that transfer portal alone can't be replied upon to compete for championships.

Iowa desperately needs to improve recruiting. The transfer portal should be supplemental and used to fill holes. Recruiting should be the foundation. That is what separates Iowa and PSU.
So true Vodka. Top talent will be more likely to transfer to an improving team with a hole, not a declining team with many holes. We will find that other top teams will be just as able to use the transfer portal as we are. The portal will never be a long-term solution, and it's only as effective as the reputations of the teams using it. The rich always get richer.

Yup. Brands didn't want a big ego around their program...
It’s one thing dealing with the athletes ego vs. dealing with a relative of the athlete’s ego. With all the things that transpired after Chittum left, I feel Brands felt desperate and took a chance on someone that nobody else would bring in.

Why do you believe? I have these sorts of worries when I'm drinking to much coffee sometimes. Maybe try cutting back?
If the whole Ferrari clan ends up at Lock Haven or Edinboro, then we wish them the best, and then move on with other recruits with fewer liabilities.

Reactions: el dub
they didn't really win Angelo in a recruiting battle either. They were just the only program willing to bring the clan in.
Angelo already signed his letter of intent, he’s kind of stuck unless Brands will grant him his release.

Maybe we can wait to proclaim Chittum a big loss until he does something of relevance?

Not saying he won't be good some day, but I think we should wait to see how big of a loss it really is.

Hell, we might need to hold off until Chittum graduates and see what Iowa plugs into 157/165 and then compare.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
When it comes to coaching wrestling, TnT are top tier.
Unfortunately. they’re not top tier when it comes to playing ceo and managing various factors on their program like future lineups, personalities, egos, and scandals. (Gable was the best at this imo)
When they have kids who can wrestle and have their head on straight, like a kemerer or Lee, they win national titles.

How is this not the obvious and only answer? I don’t want to piggyback my thoughts on to your post, but I’ve said what I’ve said about this program for almost a decade now. Things have to change.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Why do you believe? I have these sorts of worries when I'm drinking to much coffee sometimes. Maybe try cutting back?
If the whole Ferrari clan ends up at Lock Haven or Edinboro, then we wish them the best, and then move on with other recruits with fewer liabilities.
And far less talent😜

Is that 100% or our usual 83%.
I thought with the portal you can have one transfer with no release , sitting out, or losing a year of eligibility? It would make his next move one he better be sure of. This is why chittum refused to sign, he could change his commitment to Iowa State, and still has one more transfer before there are penalties. If you transfer again after using the portal once, do you lose a year of eligibility, or just have to sit out a year??

The hawks also have the guy that beat Chittum and is ranked second. Use NIL and the hawks built in advantage of a fan base to get proven winners going forward.

The game has changed and I believe it’s in the hawks factor due to the amount of support our fans give. Time to use it. Once built and we start winning we’ll be able to start picking off more of the top 10 lb for lb guys.

I really wouldn’t recruit a kid hard out of high school unless you believe he will contend for AA status as a freshman.
the only way we get multiple blue chip HS kids is if tom begins to realize he actually has to lose the ego and to start to recruit them. only way we get the better wrestlers is by transfer. it does seem that recruiting the top HS wrestlers has worked sort of ok for penn state. tom needs to do his job!

Reactions: Fan In Black
When it comes to coaching wrestling, TnT are top tier.
Unfortunately. they’re not top tier when it comes to playing ceo and managing various factors on their program like future lineups, personalities, egos, and scandals. (Gable was the best at this imo)
When they have kids who can wrestle and have their head on straight, like a kemerer or Lee, they win national titles
Did I miss Kemereer’s title run?

if they lose Angelo it's all good. They have one top 10 p4p. a 2025 committ. another playing football full time. PSU only has 8 or 9 in the last 2 years not counting all of them currently on their roster.

nothing to see here. move along.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT