ADVERTISEMENT

Why Is Biden Sending Gavin Newsom to the GOP Debate?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Is he preping Newsom to step in?

Biden's GOP debate strategy: Send Newsom​

Joe Biden's re-election campaign is deploying California Gov. Gavin Newsom to the second Republican presidential debate next week in Simi Valley, Calif., Biden campaign advisers tell Axios.
Why it matters: It's the latest example of Biden's increasingly warm relationship with Newsom after earlier tensions between the two — and comes as the California governor continues to build his national profile.
Driving the news: GOP frontrunner Donald Trump isn't likely to attend the GOP debate Wednesday, but Biden's team also is deploying top officials — including campaign manager Julie Chávez Rodríguez — to contrast the president's agenda with what they call "MAGA Republicans' extreme and out of touch views."
  • The debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library will be hosted by Fox Business and Univision, so the Democratic National Committee is focusing its messaging on economics and Latino voters.
  • Chávez Rodríguez and DNC chair Jaime Harrison will host Latino organizing events including one focused on Latino men, Biden campaign advisers told Axios.
  • The DNC also is hiring a plane to fly over Southern California reading "2024 GOP: A Race for the Extreme MAGA Base," according to a Biden adviser.
  • Biden re-elect spokesperson Kevin Munoz told Axios: "The campaign response builds off the strong and effective plan from the first debate with a clear north star: Push back on Republicans' lies and highlight their extremism at every turn."
Between the lines: Newsom, whose appearance at the upcoming debate was first reported by The Messenger, has become an enthusiastic booster of Biden's re-election bid, even as the governor has been building a national network of supporters and donors.
The big picture: The debate is the latest instance of the Biden campaign trying to push a contrast between what it's calling "Bidenomics" and "MAGAnomics."

• Wow
Reactions: Torg and EasyHawk
He is the governor of Cali.
The debate is in Cali.
Makes sense.
Certainly it could set up a battle in 28 with Newsome vs kamala.

Biden is going to do very little campaigning over the next 14ish months, and he needs a reliable surrogate. Kamala Harris is not a great surrogate, so in steps Gavin Newsom to the rescue. Gavin is probably holding out hope that Ol' Joe will need to bow out before the convention and Gavin's name will be at or near the top of the list when the Democrat power players all meet in the smoke-filled room.

Last edited:
Reactions: artradley
VP switch. Biden wins and resigns spring of 25.
I like a candidate who lOoKs LiKe Me!

Greased-back hair
Tells people not to do what he's doing

On cocaine

rawImage.jpg

NEWSOM-3.jpg

california-newsom-heatwave-033.jpg

VP switch. Biden wins and resigns spring of 25.
Good bet. It's good strategy if the Rs go ahead and run Trump, which it looks like they will.

If another GOP frontrunner emerges, Biden shouldn't run, and Newsome is a suitable replacement (just from a Dem strategy perspective).

I really hope he's not going to be the candidate for the Dems in the future because I feel like he'll lose.

Get a Dem who knows how to win a primary and general election in a swing state, not one who knows how to win a primary in one of the most liberal states in the country.

I would prefer Gretchen Whitmer. She deserves a bigger profile.

The Dems REALLY need to find a way to encourage Harris to step away.
I don't think she really helps much in terms of the Black vote and she has zero chance in 2028.
I like what others have suggested with Klobuchar or Whitmer.

Reactions: Gimmered
I never figured out what people saw with Klobuchar, seemed like another run of the mill moderate democrat to me.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I never figured out what people saw with Klobuchar, seemed like another run of the mill moderate democrat to me.
She seems less controversial than many and has a history in Minnesota of being tough on criminal prosecution as an attorney.

She checks a lot of the boxes Dem candidates desire to be.
Certainly less controversial than Harris.

She seems less controversial than many and has a history in Minnesota of being tough on criminal prosecution as an attorney.

Her problem in ‘20 was that she had very little name recognition outside the Midwest.

Independents elect the President, not the left or the right. Bring on Newsom and we'll have a Democrat controlled House and Senate and Trump in the White House.

I can’t envision a scenario where Trump could pull that off.

Independents elect the President, not the left or the right. Bring on Newsom and we'll have a Democrat controlled House and Senate and Trump in the White House.
Trump is going to prison, bro.

Is there some reason you are the spamage poster today?
Give it a break.
Is there some reason you felt the need to spread your wangz, dipshit?

It's obvious you are unable to comprehend dates. How's it goin' otherwise, dipshit?

Is "dipshit" too much, dipshit?

Biden is going to do very little campaigning over the next 14ish months, and he needs a reliable surrogate. Kamala Harris is not a great surrogate, so in steps Gavin Newsom to the rescue. Gavin is probably holding out hope that Ol' Joe will need to bow out before the convention and Gavin's name will be at or near the top of the list when the Democrat power players all meet in the smoke-filled room.
Better choice would be Whitmer if she was willing to do it.

Newsome is too polarizing.

Seems very similar to Harris to me, tough on crime, prosecutor, locked up a lot of weed users, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT