ADVERTISEMENT

Why ISU recruiting better than us?

When is the last ISU player to make an active NBA roster? Been a while.

Every year I see ISU recruiting more talented players and accepting transfers and signing jucos. Fran is still trying to right the ship on past recruiting blunders. This is so frustrating and unacceptable.
Wouldn't it make sense to wait and see what Fran opts to do with these open spring spots before deciding Fran is frustrating and unacceptable?

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Hilton vs Carver might be a factor. A loud, packed arena opposed to a half-full with people sitting on their hands arena.
Yep, I agree... & couple that with fact that their teams truly look like they enjoy playing together & look like they're playing loose, while having fun out there. ISU is just a very entertaining brand of basketball, like it or not, has been for a long time now, and kids take notice.
I also think it's easier to recruit talented, athletic players, when you have these type of guys already on your roster. I mean take a look at their class for next year. I would be ecstatic if Fran brought in some guys like this. 8 years ago when he was hired, I thought that our teams would look a little different than they have based on these "East coast connects" I was led to believe were there. Right now IOWA basketball is just not appealing destination for a lot of non Iowa born kids. The fact that they've been able to turn Ames into one for out of state kids in the last 20 years is pretty amazing.

-------Wouldn't it make sense to wait and see what Fran opts to do with these open spring spots before deciding Fran is frustrating and unacceptable?

Haha....that is a good one.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
In yet another thread where someone is concerned about what Iowa State is doing.

If this is a Hawkeye state...then who cares?

Quite honestly, I would be more concerned with what Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois are doing as they seem to be competing much closer to the same recruits than ISU.

Every year I see ISU recruiting more talented players and accepting transfers and signing jucos. Fran is still trying to right the ship on past recruiting blunders. This is so frustrating and unacceptable.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree... & couple that with fact that their teams truly look like they enjoy playing together & look like they're playing loose, while having fun out there. ISU is just a very entertaining brand of basketball, like it or not, has been for a long time now, and kids take notice.
I also think it's easier to recruit talented, athletic players, when you have these type of guys already on your roster. I mean take a look at their class for next year. I would be ecstatic if Fran brought in some guys like this. 8 years ago when he was hired, I thought that our teams would look a little different than they have based on these "East coast connects" I was led to believe were there. Right now IOWA basketball is just not appealing destination for a lot of non Iowa born kids. The fact that they've been able to turn Ames into one for out of state kids in the last 20 years is pretty amazing.

Great. Here come the isu fans.

According to a friend of mine, a clone fan, back when hoiberg was head coach, he maximized the influence of his NBA connections in his recruiting efforts. Maybe that's true, maybe not.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Iowa State alumnus and fan here. I guess if people don't like Iowa State fans here, stop creating threads regarding Iowa State.

I think ISU is more attractive to better recruits for a lot of reasons.

#1 More recent success. Prior to this year, 6 straight trips to NCAA is a big deal. Winning 3 of last 5 Big 12 conference tourneys is a big deal. 18 year old kids dont care about the 1980 Final Four.

#2 Reputation and relevance. Yes, ISU has more national relevance and a better reputation than Iowa. Winning has a lot to do with that. Hilton has something to do with that as well.

#3 Hoiberg: Fred Hoiberg started something at ISU. After he left, he recommended to Pollard to go after Steve Prohm because FH knew SP would continue to build what he started. Style of play is important. Also, I think McCaffrey plays too many guys. Top players dont want to be 1 of a 10 man rotation. They want minutes. Weiskamp is a top player, but he was coming to Iowa regardless. ISU seems to look beyond the state of Iowa whereas Iowa focuses on in-state talent. Would Conner and Patrick McCaffrey be coveted by Iowa if their father wasn't the coach? I dont know. Good players, probably good kids, but not sure they will take Iowa to the upper level of the Big 10 and compete with Sparty, Michigan, Purdue, etc. Not a slam on them. Time will tell.

Not going to get into transfers and/or grad transfers. FH clearly took chances on a few players who were "dismissed" from other programs. He was in a position where had to initially, and for the most part it worked out. Same with grad transfers. Overall, good strategy. Some called a few of these players 'thugs' and claimed Iowa did things "the right way". Prohm seems more focused on bringing in HS players to build continuity and sprinkle in gaps with transfers and grad transfers. Just a difference in philosophy.

More than anything, I believe success breeds success. ISU has had more of it lately and it is showing up in recruiting.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I also think recruiting is not an exact science to trivialize effects of particular reason that we like to believe matter in recruiting in basketball. Not the least of which is the attitude and goals of the athletic department to basketball. I don't like arguments that link past successes, or lack of there of, to success in recruiting. That argument doesn't explain emergence of some previously irrelevant programs (like Tcu and Auburn) and decline of established superpowers like UConn and Pitt.

Luka Garza - Washington, DC.
Jack Nunge - Newburgh, IN.
Isaiah Moss - Chicago, IL.
Tyler Cook - St. Louis, MO.
C.J. Fredrick - Park Hills, KY.
Yep just not appealing destination for a lot of non Iowa born Kids. LOL

Iowa State alumnus and fan here. I guess if people don't like Iowa State fans here, stop creating threads regarding Iowa State.

I think ISU is more attractive to better recruits for a lot of reasons.

#1 More recent success. Prior to this year, 6 straight trips to NCAA is a big deal. Winning 3 of last 5 Big 12 conference tourneys is a big deal. 18 year old kids dont care about the 1980 Final Four.

#2 Reputation and relevance. Yes, ISU has more national relevance and a better reputation than Iowa. Winning has a lot to do with that. Hilton has something to do with that as well.

#3 Hoiberg: Fred Hoiberg started something at ISU. After he left, he recommended to Pollard to go after Steve Prohm because FH knew SP would continue to build what he started. Style of play is important. Also, I think McCaffrey plays too many guys. Top players dont want to be 1 of a 10 man rotation. They want minutes. Weiskamp is a top player, but he was coming to Iowa regardless. ISU seems to look beyond the state of Iowa whereas Iowa focuses on in-state talent. Would Conner and Patrick McCaffrey be coveted by Iowa if their father wasn't the coach? I dont know. Good players, probably good kids, but not sure they will take Iowa to the upper level of the Big 10 and compete with Sparty, Michigan, Purdue, etc. Not a slam on them. Time will tell.

Not going to get into transfers and/or grad transfers. FH clearly took chances on a few players who were "dismissed" from other programs. He was in a position where had to initially, and for the most part it worked out. Same with grad transfers. Overall, good strategy. Some called a few of these players 'thugs' and claimed Iowa did things "the right way". Prohm seems more focused on bringing in HS players to build continuity and sprinkle in gaps with transfers and grad transfers. Just a difference in philosophy.

More than anything, I believe success breeds success. ISU has had more of it lately and it is showing up in recruiting.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Wow, there is some truth in here but a whole hell of lot of more lack of self awareness as a program.

Please let me know of I'm missing anyone but outside of Cook and Garza I don't think we have recruited great players.

Now some have potential and some aren't bad recruits and some even get much better after a couple years. But I'm not seeing great recruiting by Fran. Bohannon is not a great recruit but he's a great shooter. You can find alot of great shooters out there.

Marble got better. White got better. Uthoff transferred. Jok would have gone elsewhere had his knee issues not happened. Woodbury and Gesell were busts in my opinion.

I'd take several ISU players over our recruits. I know Hoiberg started the success but Prohm is keeping it going. I wish Fran would start the success after almost a decade. Or is it time to move on?

Reactions: Ihawkhoops and ATCy
Ohhh damn dude!!! You got me! Let me guess, you thought I believed we had nothing but Iowa kids on on our roster this year or coming in before I wrote that?!? Not being an appealing destination for national recruits right now doesn't mean you do not get ANY. But anyway, I stand by my statement, and feel free to cherry pick some more... All I ask is that you don't "LOL" @ me anymore, that's for chicks man.

Hilton vs Carver might be a factor. A loud, packed arena opposed to a half-full with people sitting on their hands arena.
what's wrong with our two guys coming in they're not chopped liver

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Ohhh damn dude!!! You got me! Let me guess, you thought I believed we had nothing but Iowa kids on on our roster this year or coming in before I wrote that?!? Not being an appealing destination for national recruits right now doesn't mean you do not get ANY. But anyway, I stand by my statement, and feel free to cherry pick some more... All I ask is that you don't "LOL" @ me anymore, that's for chicks man.
lol

If Iowa's recruits outrank ISU recruits, then it is a function of coaching. Fair?

I recognize that Iowa certainly recruits beyond our borders. My mistake . I have said this before, I could care less where ISU gets their players. If an Iowa kid is good enough to help them win, great! It just seems like people denigrate ISU for not having Iowa kids. Too lazy to look it up, but I'm guessing the top programs are not primarily made up of in-state recruits.

If Iowa's recruits outrank ISU recruits, then it is a function of coaching. Fair?

I recognize that Iowa certainly recruits beyond our borders. My mistake . I have said this before, I could care less where ISU gets their players. If an Iowa kid is good enough to help them win, great! It just seems like people denigrate ISU for not having Iowa kids. Too lazy to look it up, but I'm guessing the top programs are not primarily made up of in-state recruits.

People don’t denigrate ISU for recruiting out of state kids. It’s that ISU has been the better program recently and STILL can’t beat out iowa for quality in-state talent. But ISU fans blow it off as if they wouldn’t take them. That’s why you catch some flak from iowa fans.

Also, you may catch flak from some traditionalists about the transfer recruiting strategy but I have no problem with it.

However when you have a run of taking several kids that had legal trouble or got kicked off their previous team you are going to catch some shit for it. Otherwise if you want to continue to take mid major grad transfers who are borderline talent, while not developing some decent underclassmen who then transfer out, that’s up to you.

Honestly, there is no Iowa kid on the Iowa roster (the last few years) that I felt like "damn I wish he would've chose ISU.

Now, a few went to KU and UNC that I was pissed about....but Iowa, not so much.

ISU is doing just fine without Iowa kids. I am okay with the best out of Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

Fire away

Honestly, there is no Iowa kid on the Iowa roster (the last few years) that I felt like "damn I wish he would've chose ISU.

ISU is doing just fine without Iowa kids. I am okay with the best out of Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

Fire away

Fine just put you in last place.

I am all Hawkeye, but stender is right with everything he has said.

No, he isnt. I honestly don’t want to spend much time arguing this but the point about Hoiberg is BS. Pollard was likely going to hire Otzelberger until he got in a pissing match with Leath.

Additionally, here’s a link to ISUs high school recruiting. Look back through the past few years. From a pure rankings standpoint it’s no better than Iowa, and their retention/misses have been just as bad. They keep relying on transfers, but the past several years they simply aren’t getting very good ones.

https://iowastate.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2018

Fire away

You're nuts if you wouldn't take Uthoff, Jok, or Weiskamp.

I think a lot of ISU fans who shrug off the local players is there really are only so many that are desirable, and it seems like the good ones either go out of state or to Iowa and ISU has no realistic chance based on Hawkeye ties. From what I've been told Uthoff never seriously considered ISU. Weiskamp was a no go.

ISU had a bad year this year. It wouldn't have been improved by having any of the Iowa players currently on Iowa's team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT