ADVERTISEMENT

Winder, GA - haven't had a school shooting thread in a while

So why is that your only solution for the issue of gun control? You can't think of anything else that would lessen the likelihood of a tragedy like this?
I’m not against some common sense gun laws/restrictions.

I think if everyone locked up their guns, that would help. But it could also make people more vulnerable in their home and hinder their ability to defend themselves. And how do you enforce it?

We will take any help we can get. Having said that...guess which party won't fund schools to keep up with rising costs. Our governor thinks we're lucky to get 2%. Districts can't afford the costs of implementing multiple security guards and metal detectors. We don't have the funding. Which means, again, nothing gets done and we all just have to hope it isn't at our building and our students. Anytime Republicans would like to fund public education. In Iowa it absolutely won't happen when she's grifting tax dollars to the private schools.
This is something that very much disappoints me. Cutting funding to mental health and education are huge black marks against the Republican Party in this state. We were so damn proud for so long of our standing in the nation when it comes to quality of education, to let that slip is deeply disappointing.

I mentioned in IMCC’s thread about traveling to Japan that I would like to see what our tax dollars could accomplish if we didn’t have a MIC to pay for. If I was in charge, I would channel defense funds into fortifying our schools. I trust my running mate @RagnarLothbrok to do the actual math for me on this one.

I’m not against some common sense gun laws/restrictions.

I think if everyone locked up their guns, that would help. But it could also make people more vulnerable in their home and hinder their ability to defend themselves. And how do you enforce it?
More vulnerable than allowing a kid to get their hands on a gun? GMAFB.

Like many laws, the enforcement comes after the violation. If your gun is used in a crime or a tragic accident you need to demonstrate that it was reasonably secured. Someone who leaves their gun on the seat of their unlocked truck, has it stolen and used to commit a crime or hurt someone is culpable. Leave your guns unlocked and a small child gets it, shoots someone, your culpable.

Making people responsible for securing their deadly weapon seems reasonable to me. To most reasonable gun owners as well. And it would be very easy and inexpensive for the government to enact.

I posted my suggestion—metal detectors and armed guards at the point of entry. Treat schools like a courthouse.

It sounds like a nice plan, but in reality it won't work. Uvalde showed that it just takes one cracked door for a shooter to slip in.

Only solution is to update the 2nd Amendment so that we can pass meaningful gun legislation.

It sounds like a nice plan, but in reality it won't work. Uvalde showed that it just takes one cracked door for a shooter to slip in.

Only solution is to update the 2nd Amendment so that we can pass meaningful gun legislation.
Schools will need to be modified and look like TSA. That will happen long before the constitution is changed.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I just want to highlight how shitty of a parent his father is. The FBI shows up and says your kid is threatening to shoot the school up. The dad evidently didn’t take it serious if he still had the UNLOCKED AND ACCESSIBLE firearms in the house.
FIFY
And his parental units didn’t keep an eye on him.
This incident is just mind bogglingly unacceptable and tragic.

I just want to highlight how shitty of a parent his father is. The FBI shows up and says your kid is threatening to shoot the school up. The dad evidently didn’t take it serious if he still had the firearms in the house.
Do a little digging into what ia going on with this. To say the "family" is disgusting is an understatement.

FIFY
And his parental units didn’t keep an eye on him.
This incident is just mind bogglingly unacceptable and tragic.
I took it further. If your child threatens to shoot up a place, you remove the guns from the house entirely. You never know if your teen knows how to unlock the safe.

My 16 year old is on the spectrum. He often doesnt understand social situations and has a hard time handling being reprimanded. For that reason we don’t have any weapons in the house. The risk is very very small because he is a good hearted kid but a parent needs to be 100%

^this is 100% fluff.

Again, Riley, think about the long term impacts of what you just said.

"Your child has been arrested 12 times for gang related activities and now has committed a crime with a firearm, a firearm we can prove you knew to be in the house, tell your other kids goodbye ma'am, your inability to parent your 17 year old just turned your 3 other kids into wards of the state.

Again, fluff, because you have no basis.

Fluff.

Radio.
You think there shouldn't be consequences for a parent who has a 17 year old that has been arrested 12 times for gang violence and allows them access to guns? For real????

I took it further. If your child threatens to shoot up a place, you remove the guns from the house entirely. You never know if your teen knows how to unlock the safe.

My 16 year old is on the spectrum. He often doesnt understand social situations and has a hard time handling being reprimanded. For that reason we don’t have any weapons in the house. The risk is very very small because he is a good hearted kid but a parent needs to be 100%
I don't get how more people don't at least have this basic level of common sense.

Last week I was out of town for a few days. I knew there was a chance that my mom was going to bring my 9yo nephew over to the house to go swimming. No way at all he was going to be upstairs where the guns are, but it didn't matter: I still put all the guns way up out of his possible reach. Just in case a 9yo does some 9yo shit and starts wanting to snoop around a little. Even that .001% chance was too much for me to live with.

In that situation with gang violence, I’m pretty sure the kid isn’t getting the gun from his parents.
Oh, I'm pretty certain. But Whiskey wanted to pretend it was. I believe one of the likely places a gang member gets their guns is theft. Either stealing it themselves or purchasing a stolen gun. Imagine if people could be prosecuted for not keeping their weapons secured like a bar is prosecuted for overserving patrons who then kill someone driving drunk. Perhaps people would take it a little more seriously and we could save a few lives.

Schools will need to be modified and look like TSA. That will happen long before the constitution is changed.

They probably will and people will feel good until the first school shooting happens at one of these modified schools. Then people will dance around the issue some more and pretend that we've done all we can do while ignoring the elephant in the room.

Oh, I'm pretty certain. But Whiskey wanted to pretend it was. I believe one of the likely places a gang member gets their guns is theft. Either stealing it themselves or purchasing a stolen gun. Imagine if people could be prosecuted for not keeping their weapons secured like a bar is prosecuted for overserving patrons who then kill someone driving drunk. Perhaps people would take it a little more seriously and we could save a few lives.
In my conversation I had zero expectations thr parent gave the child the gun, I positioned it as the parents knew the firearm existed ( i.e. "why do you have that in my house" type text) and escalating crimes.

You have to define “keeping it secured”. If you have a Glock in a small safe in your house and someone breaks into your house and steals it, do you really want to prosecute the owner?

Imagine if a gang banger stole your car and got into a wreck…you want to end up in jail for it?

You have to define “keeping it secured”. If you have a Glock in a small safe in your house and someone breaks into your house and steals it, do you really want to prosecute the owner?

Imagine if a gang banger stole your car and got into a wreck…you want to end up in jail for it?
Those are pretty easy to define. A gun in a locked safe is obviously reasonable. A gun in an unlocked nightstand that a kid takes and uses is not.

C'mon man - point me in the right direction here!
Screenshot-20240905-153422-X.jpg

Screenshot-20240905-153512-X.jpg

The bully was the young black kid.

The family has taken the stance of "you don't know what that kid went through".

Also, he apparently was obsessed with the "lanza" person from sandy hook(?) And that how the FBI found him. There were major signs.

This is why the standard is "reasonable person". There's no reason to try anything because of your fictitious scenario.

Reactions: McLovin32
Screenshot-20240905-153422-X.jpg

Screenshot-20240905-153512-X.jpg

The bully was the young black kid.

The family has taken the stance of "you don't know what that kid went through".

Also, he apparently was obsessed with the "lanza" person from sandy hook(?) And that how the FBI found him. There were major signs.
You sure that twitter profile in those screenshots is real? I ask because it's no longer on twitter, so all i see are references to it being fake.

Eff that family - "you don't know what he went through!" - but they did and still let it go on, let him get worse, etc? If they knew and it still got this bad, then that's just as much on them.

I know you can't usually put people in jail before they commit crimes (excepting "conspiracy to commit..." crimes), but there had to have been something more they could have done than just talk to the kid and his dad, check a box, and take off.

Reactions: McLovin32
You sure that twitter profile in those screenshots is real? I ask because it's no longer on twitter, so all i see are references to it being fake.

Eff that family - "you don't know what he went through!" - but they did and still let it go on, let him get worse, etc? If they knew and it still got this bad, then that's just as much on them.

I know you can't usually put people in jail before they commit crimes (excepting "conspiracy to commit..." crimes), but there had to have been something more they could have done than just talk to the kid and his dad, check a box, and take off.
Fun Fact: You can't search "Colt Gray" on twitter. It'll say tweets aren't loading, yet you can search for "Colt" or literally anything else.

I am a teacher. Every now and then when I am walking down a hall, I think if a shooter came in I would be a sitting duck.

That never crossed my mind 26 years ago as a young teacher.

More vulnerable than allowing a kid to get their hands on a gun? GMAFB.

Like many laws, the enforcement comes after the violation. If your gun is used in a crime or a tragic accident you need to demonstrate that it was reasonably secured. Someone who leaves their gun on the seat of their unlocked truck, has it stolen and used to commit a crime or hurt someone is culpable. Leave your guns unlocked and a small child gets it, shoots someone, your culpable.

Making people responsible for securing their deadly weapon seems reasonable to me. To most reasonable gun owners as well. And it would be very easy and inexpensive for the government to enact.
A guy I worked with in ag had a gun cabinet. The 8 year got into it and accidentally killed the 8 year old. Family was devastated. People get careless. What more could they do to the guy? I don't know.

So, his dad bought him the AR AFTER the FBI had come and talked to them about him making threats to shoot up the school? The kid and his dad both need to at least go to jail for the rest of their lives (of course, I'd prefer the death penalty)
The kid is being tried as an adult so would that make the dad not responsible? I'm not being serious but I've never really understood that whole kids being tried as adults thing.

So, his dad bought him the AR AFTER the FBI had come and talked to them about him making threats to shoot up the school? The kid and his dad both need to at least go to jail for the rest of their lives (of course, I'd prefer the death penalty)
This X 1000. The dad needs to go down for this too. What a ****ing idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT