ADVERTISEMENT

Winder, GA - haven't had a school shooting thread in a while

I agree in principle, but the problem is we already have a lot of gun laws. I’m guessing there are pretty strict gun laws in Illinois. No one living in Chicago feels safer as a result.
The "Chicago" argument is tiring when it comes to these damn mass shooting threads. The majority of the US is not Chicago, and whenever I've been in Chicago I've felt totally safe. That's all I'll address there.

Is this actually how you perceive this issue or is this just performance art?

Just for example, do you actually think the prevalence of guns aren't part of our problem, rather it's that America has Americans? All those other issues you've identified, do you really think people, organizations, governments, just throw up their hands and go "WTF is wrong with people?" rather than trying to solve them? Is that really your perception?

If this was just performance art, I think you went too far with the: "Massive cost? Who cares" bit, that's jumping the shark.

If you were being genuine, I would be fascinated to hear some of your other takes. Perhaps you could elaborate on how far down the gutter we are and what that means.
Every post in this thread that blames the NRA or Republicans or has some tweet/meme is performance art. But if it’s performance art you agree with, then it would no comment from you.

As for your second paragraph, you don’t think there’s been a steady decline in how we treat each other as humans? Really? You’re a smart, perceptive guy. You spend time on social media. People have become too comfortable being terrible to others. It wasn’t that long ago that it was understood to not talk about politics and religion. Now, we HATE each other openly about those things. That’s merely one example.

As for the list of horrible things that are done and blamed on the individual, that was commentary about this board. We’ve both been here long enough to see discussions of all sorts of topics and events. I think my summary is accurate. People are generally admonished for being terrible. But if it’s a school shooting, the tone changes to politics and a tribal need to blame the other side.

As for protecting the schools, I’m dead serious. It appears that will be the platform @RagnarLothbrok and I will be running on in 2028.

I have a habit of posting as if I’m talking to someone face-to-face, so context is probably missing and I apologize for that.

• Love
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I feel safer. I like that someone can't walk into a 7-11 and buy a gun.
How many Americans do you believe have brought an actual gun to the front counter of a 7/11 to purchase it? Is that your idea of satire?

If you are referencing some type of back alley gun deals behind a 7/11, then you are destroying your own argument about the potential efficacy of stricter gun laws.

This is relevant because our Constitution, in the Bill of Rights, makes a declaration of some sort about government not infringing on a citizen’s right to own a firearm. Sure, there is much debate and discussion to be had about the intended meaning and scope of the 2A, but the greater point is there is a precedent for gun ownership. That’s why this whole “more gun control” theory is tricky on a constitutional level as well as a practical one.

In short, it’s not as simple as libs try to make it.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
lol - I am sure you aren't doing this intentionally, but no Australia did not have an epidemic of school shootings prior to passing strict gun control laws. They didn't wait that long. They had a mass shooting in 1996 and then did something about it.
The point is about correlation and causation.

Do I believe society would be better off without guns? Of course. My opinion, however, isn’t really relevant to this discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
@McLovin32 You're right, these threads are repetitive, sadly.

I don't like how its a partisan issue. If we're considered the public, and all we do is point fingers at each other, we can't expect who we elect to be any better.

No one wants to solution anything, its use national tragedy to dunk on each other.

This board could (and probably has) politicized a car accident. Stupid.

According to some on this board, this is obviously the fault of Republicans and the NRA. They made him do this.

Not broken homes or a horrible upbringing or disregard for human life or a fight culture in this country that is beyond out of control. Something is incredibly wrong with a human who does something like this, that no law can change. It starts at home. This doesn’t happen in other countries because other countries aren’t full of Americans. I don’t think a lot of people grasp just how far down the gutter we are.

Anyone who makes this 100% political is, in my opinion, a delusional insane asshole of the highest order. (I’m sure these same people were clamoring for gun control when the bullet missed Trump’s brain). As if Democrats are completely powerless to do anything about it either. Imagine thinking like this:

Domestic violence- WTF is wrong with people?
Molestation/incest- WTF is wrong with people?
Rape- WTF is wrong with people?
Assault and battery- WTF is wrong with people?
Murder with a knife- WTF is wrong with people?
Murder 8 people with an axe- WTF is wrong with people?
Murder dozens over a career in health care - WTF is wrong with people?
Murder one with a gun- WTF is wrong with people?
Murder one and then kill yourself- WTF is wrong with people?
Murder three or more in a gang shootout- **ignore**
Murder two or more in a school- ZOMG!!! Republicans did this!!1!

Protect our schools. If people were serious about keeping kids in school safe, then they would make the school safe. Massive cost? Who cares. Do it. I bet metal detectors are way more effective than laws that criminals and psychos wouldn’t follow in the first place. If my neighbor digs up my tomatoes, I don’t bitch and legislate the size of his shovel. I put up a fence.

And to get this out of the way, I have never been hunting. I have never owned a gun. I have zero interest in ever having one.
This is all well and good if your position is there is nothing that can be done to make things safer other than to fix the culture and the disregard and the upbringing and all that is wrong with people. But that's not the case. Some of us are advocating for doing common sense things that make it harder for the people who do these things to do them. At the same time we are advocating for taking measures to make it so fewer of these people want to do these things.

Your first sentence is bullshit. What the republicans and NRA get blamed for is inaction and defiance against any measures that could result in fewer gun deaths and injuries.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
Would more security measures help? Yes, this is the most direct way I see that can help prevent or mitigate the damages from mass shootings.

But more security measures do not solve the problem of the sheer number of firearms already in circulation.. so what can be done about that? Legislation; but in order to effectively eliminate mass shootings — it would have to go all the way, making firearms extremely difficult or impossible to obtain by a citizen.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make. I, personally, don’t own guns and couldn’t care less about those who do. My one and only point is to question the effectiveness of passing more gun laws as a solution to this problem.

What specific gun laws not on the books do you believe need to be passed and signed into law? I’m open to whatever would be effective. I’m also interested in how any new laws would be enforced with absolute fidelity. What’s your solution?

I'm not sure why you think your personal choice on gun ownership and opinion on those who choose to be gun owners is relevant at all, but thanks for sharing!

I don't believe any specific gun laws need to be passed and signed into law. We have tremendous gun freedoms here. School shootings, church shootings, gang shootings, spouse shootings, argument turned shootings, are just some of the costs that come with our freedoms. They're part of the deal.

If you are open to to effective laws. It would have to start with repealing the 2nd amendment. Any truly effective law would be unconstitutional under the current interpretation. Then you would need laws regarding the sale and production of new firearms as well as laws regarding the existing firearms. Think bans, buy backs, confiscation, that sort of thing.

Alas, I'm like you where I am only interested in laws that would be enforced without absolute fidelity, that is my benchmark and will consider nothing less.

Reactions: Gimmered
The "Chicago" argument is tiring when it comes to these damn mass shooting threads. The majority of the US is not Chicago, and whenever I've been in Chicago I've felt totally safe. That's all I'll address there.
It’s tiresome because it doesn’t fit a political narrative. I’m guessing it’s not tiresome to the people who live in those communities, though.

Yeah, I was downtown Chicago this summer. I felt safe too, but I didn’t venture out into certain areas, though. I’m guessing you always avoid certain places in Chicago too.

I’m actually proposing something to keep YOU safe. An actual solution. An expensiveIf you want people to stop invading the castle, fortify it. Don’t ask government to limit how big your enemy’s swords are.

Nah, this is a political football that they absolutely NEED to have so they can rub the other side’s noses in shit, even though their nose is far from clean.

The list of horrible things a human can do to another human is long. And for the vast, vast majority of them, we acknowledge something is deeply wrong with that person. But, in this instance, it’s all about blaming Republicans. Go ahead and pass gun control (as long as it doesn’t infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens), and it doesn’t do anything to address the ROOT CAUSE.
Something the republicans are good at is claiming to be the victim.

What is THE root cause, BTW?

Did Australia or other countries have an epidemic of school shootings prior to passing strict gun control laws?

FTR, I agree there are plenty of Americans who have a weird obsession with guns. Frankly, genital augmentation therapy might be more beneficial to most of these nuts than owning bigger, shinier, more lethal firearms, but I suppose that’s not here nor there.

You answered the issue within your response: America has a culture problem.
Australia had ONE. Port Arthur in 1996. ONE school shooting wasn't acceptable to them as a society. See how smart they are? Like I said, it's the guns. America has a GUN CULTURE problem where guns come before children. We have an entire wing of government that is paid to not do anything about it.

I'm not sure why you think your personal choice on gun ownership and opinion on those who choose to be gun owners is relevant at all, but thanks for sharing!
It’s relevant because of that pesky, annoying little thing called the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I stopped reading after the highlighted paragraph.

You’re welcome.

lol - I am sure you aren't doing this intentionally, but no Australia did not have an epidemic of school shootings prior to passing strict gun control laws. They didn't wait that long. They had a mass shooting in 1996 and then did something about it.
Yep. Basically they had their Columbine and said that wasn't going to happen again. We let it happen over and over and over.

Honestly, would it matter?

I don’t care what grievances you have. Resorting to going into a school with a gun and shooting at students and teachers is not the actions of a rational person.

The point is there is nothing you can pin this on other than the person who chose this path. Millions of kids have been bullied in school; millions have had shitty parents; millions have played violent video games; millions have access to all kinds of guns. Less than 1% of those kids actually go into a school and start firing.

The only solution is to treat schools like you would a courthouse—metal detectors and armed guards at every entry point. There is no other solution. You can’t predict the kids who are going to take it that far (many have made vague threats on social media that amount to nothing); you can’t put a dent on crazy people’ access to firearms no matter how many gun laws you pass; banning violent video games is stupid; there are too many worthless parents to shoot them all; about the only thing you might be able to do better is pay closer attention to kids getting bullied and improve interventions before a kid gets pushed too far (even that is impossible to police effectively).

So, as usual, we have the same talking points and the same impotent suggestions, none of which ever get implemented or enacted anyway, and will proceed with the same course of discussion that will be forgotten about in two days—since we are all desensitized to this sort of thing anyway.

If someone has a better idea than putting armed guards and metal detectors at the entry point of every school, by all means share it.
There are lots of impractical solutions - one being get rid of all guns - that are not helpful.

Why does there have to be only one measure?

Reactions: funksouljon
How many Americans do you believe have brought an actual gun to the front counter of a 7/11 to purchase it? Is that your idea of satire?

If you are referencing some type of back alley gun deals behind a 7/11, then you are destroying your own argument about the potential efficacy of stricter gun laws.

This is relevant because our Constitution, in the Bill of Rights, makes a declaration of some sort about government not infringing on a citizen’s right to own a firearm. Sure, there is much debate and discussion to be had about the intended meaning and scope of the 2A, but the greater point is there is a precedent for gun ownership. That’s why this whole “more gun control” theory is tricky on a constitutional level as well as a practical one.

There are laws that prevent stores from selling guns in the same manner that 7-11 sells Big Gulps. I live in Chicago, and feel safer because of that sort of law. You posted that no one in Chicago feels safer because of gun laws.

I am sorry that I confused you with my "satire".

Australia had ONE. Port Arthur in 1996. ONE school shooting wasn't acceptable to them as a society. See how smart they are? Like I said, it's the guns. America has a GUN CULTURE problem where guns come before children. We have an entire wing of government that is paid to not do anything about it.
Then find a way to repeal the 2A.

Yes, I agree other countries are better at this than America. I also believe they have a much better culture than we do. They tend to be less religious and less idolizing of guns—at least, I don’t recall any pics going viral of Australian politicians posing for family photo ops with a Bible in one hand and an AR-15 in the other.

There are lots of impractical solutions - one being get rid of all guns - that are not helpful.

Why does there have to be only one measure?
I posted my suggestion—metal detectors and armed guards at the point of entry. Treat schools like a courthouse.

It’s relevant because of that pesky, annoying little thing called the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I stopped reading after the highlighted paragraph.

You’re welcome.

I, personally, don’t own guns and couldn’t care less about those who do and this is important to note because of that pesky, annoying little thing called the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Really smart guy we're dealing with here.

Make it harder for people who will shoot other people to get guns. Make it harder for them to carry them around.

Yes. Absolutely.
They don’t already do background checks on people before they are allowed to purchase a gun?

I’m genuinely asking because I thought there was a waiting period and background check before a firearm could be legally purchased.

The guns don't fire themselves. The problem is with people. The kid threatened to do this one year before. The FBI knew it. The local sheriff knew it.
Yet the kid got a hold of a firearm… an “assault type” firearm and there are 4 dead tiday. Too many firearms out there that are too accessible to everyone. This accessibility to firearms has to be regulated. “Freedom” be damned.

I, personally, don’t own guns and couldn’t care less about those who do and this is important to note because of that pesky, annoying little thing called the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Really smart guy we're dealing with here.
It appears you are the one with the problem here, not me.

But if being a stereotypical smug, liberal prick boosts your self esteem and capacity to feel you’re right on an issue, more power to you.

Not to mention that the gun deaths in Chicago are less than other areas of the country.

They don’t already do background checks on people before they are allowed to purchase a gun?

I’m genuinely asking because I thought there was a waiting period and background check before a firearm could be legally purchased.

There's no federal waiting period as far as I know.

Different states could have some.

Iowa?

I can walk into Scheels right now, I fill a form out, they do what they need to do, and I walk out in about an hour. I've done it several times.

Every post in this thread that blames the NRA or Republicans or has some tweet/meme is performance art. But if it’s performance art you agree with, then it would no comment from you.

As for your second paragraph, you don’t think there’s been a steady decline in how we treat each other as humans? Really? You’re a smart, perceptive guy. You spend time on social media. People have become too comfortable being terrible to others. It wasn’t that long ago that it was understood to not talk about politics and religion. Now, we HATE each other openly about those things. That’s merely one example.

As for the list of horrible things that are done and blamed on the individual, that was commentary about this board. We’ve both been here long enough to see discussions of all sorts of topics and events. I think my summary is accurate. People are generally admonished for being terrible. But if it’s a school shooting, the tone changes to politics and a tribal need to blame the other side.

As for protecting the schools, I’m dead serious. It appears that will be the platform @RagnarLothbrok and I will be running on in 2028.

I have a habit of posting as if I’m talking to someone face-to-face, so context is probably missing and I apologize for that.
So why is that your only solution for the issue of gun control? You can't think of anything else that would lessen the likelihood of a tragedy like this?

It's not tricky. We have had gun control for a long, long time. It's not whether we can have it, it's about what it is. The nonsense about the 2A is fodder to deflect away from common sense gun control laws that can keep them out of the hands of people who might shoot someone with it.

My use of "performance art" was intended to mean "an act", or "not genuine". In that sense, I disagree with your statement here. I suspect that posters who blame the NRA or Republicans do genuinely believe that the NRA and Republicans shoulder blame as they are viewed as the obstacles to meaningful progress on gun violence.

A steady decline in how we treat each other as humans? Make the case. From when to when? How do you measure it? If I'm actually a smart and perceptive guy, don't you think I would be receptive to evidence? Instead you just want me to accept your narrative based on what I assume is some mixture of gut feeling, faith and vibes?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to describe with the not talk about politics and religion.

This is difficult to explain without a condescending tone, but it's not intentional, it's just the reality when explaining the obvious. School shootings are viewed as preventable, uniquely American, with completely divergent "solutions" between the two prominent political parties. Yes, of fvckign course there will be politics and blaming.

I don't doubt you're serous. It's just a joke that you're dead serious about a solution with a massive cost followed by a "who cares". I assure you, people care about costs. Just try it on some other solutions and see if it seems silly:

We could have universal health care, who cares about the cost!?

We could build mansions for every homeless person, who cares about the cost!?

The point is about correlation and causation.

Do I believe society would be better off without guns? Of course. My opinion, however, isn’t really relevant to this discussion.
Then why are you providing it? This is all a discussion of opinions and they are all relevant.

@McLovin32 You're right, these threads are repetitive, sadly.

I don't like how its a partisan issue. If we're considered the public, and all we do is point fingers at each other, we can't expect who we elect to be any better.

No one wants to solution anything, its use national tragedy to dunk on each other.

This board could (and probably has) politicized a car accident. Stupid.
It's politicized because one party continues to do whatever they can to stop measures designed to prevent these tragedies. That is political and must be exposed.

It appears you are the one with the problem here, not me.

But if being a stereotypical smug, liberal prick boosts your self esteem and capacity to feel you’re right on an issue, more power to you.

What makes me a liberal? Are they the ones who typically pick on you? Are liberals known for punching down?

I think 90% of gun deaths in Chicago are in certain neighborhoods in the southside between gangs.

Reactions: McLovin32

We will take any help we can get. Having said that...guess which party won't fund schools to keep up with rising costs. Our governor thinks we're lucky to get 2%. Districts can't afford the costs of implementing multiple security guards and metal detectors. We don't have the funding. Which means, again, nothing gets done and we all just have to hope it isn't at our building and our students. Anytime Republicans would like to fund public education. In Iowa it absolutely won't happen when she's grifting tax dollars to the private schools.

It’s tiresome because it doesn’t fit a political narrative. I’m guessing it’s not tiresome to the people who live in those communities, though.

Yeah, I was downtown Chicago this summer. I felt safe too, but I didn’t venture out into certain areas, though. I’m guessing you always avoid certain places in Chicago too.
And Des Moines. And Kansas City. Particularly not St. Louis. Or Birmingham, Alabama.

The "but Chicago" narrative is as lame as it is inaccurate.

I posted my suggestion—metal detectors and armed guards at the point of entry. Treat schools like a courthouse.
Again, why does it have to be just one measure? Are you saying there are no others that could help prevent such a tragedy?

No, not always. That's one of the proposals being made that the republicans continue to fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT