ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA pay disparity claim

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
Saw on the news this AM that the feminists are clamoring about the pay disparity (again) between women and men in sports.

CC's benig the #1 draft pick in WNBA will have a salary of 75k where as the #1 pick in NBA will have a 10million dollar deal. I guess it is really hard to understand REVENUE GENERATION. Maybe they failed to see that the NBA subsidizes the WNBA into existence.

The bulldike on USA soccer was bitching about their pay as well, when they get a higher % of their revenue then men do.

Interesting how the fem's only come out when it's a "pay" thing and not a ding-a-ling thing hanging between the legs...

Saw on the news this AM that the feminists are clamoring about the pay disparity (again) between women and men in sports.

CC's benig the #1 draft pick in WNBA will have a salary of 75k where as the #1 pick in NBA will have a 10million dollar deal. I guess it is really hard to understand REVENUE GENERATION. Maybe they failed to see that the NBA subsidizes the WNBA into existence.

The bulldike on USA soccer was bitching about their pay as well, when they get a higher % of their revenue then men do.

Interesting how the fem's only come out when it's a "pay" thing and not a ding-a-ling thing hanging between the legs...
I don't know, Caitlin just got offered $5 million to play basketball. Seems like the market is working. If she can do for the WNBA what she did for women's college basketball, everyone will ultimately get paid more.

I don't know, Caitlin just got offered $5 million to play basketball. Seems like the market is working. If she can do for the WNBA what she did for women's college basketball, everyone will ultimately get paid more.
She was offered to 5 million to play in the Big 3-on-3, which is not the WNBA. I hope she can continue to elevate the women's game, and defy the odds with her being a white, hetero female.

Reactions: warriors dad

They should just try out for the NBA. Problem solved!

She can't but sat the foundation for this to potentially happen in 15-20 years.

Here's a cool video with current and former stars of WCBB and WNBA regarding NIL in college and how it translates to the WNBA.

Reactions: HemiHawk
CC is going to generate a lot of money for Indiana and the WNBA. That begs the question, does she deserve more money in that case than?
Yes. She is already a transformative figure in that she made mention of the fact that she isn't comfortable flying commercial and then boom! WNBA is chartering. Not to mention all the big arenas that will be utilized to see her and the Fever play.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
CC is going to generate a lot of money for Indiana and the WNBA. That begs the question, does she deserve more money in that case than?
Nope. She belongs to a union. She will receive the amount the union negotiated, which is really a gift since the WNBA has never made money. Oh, and now that they are flying charters only, the WNBA will need to practically double their revenue just to break even. If she can't shoot better than 5 for 13 from 3 all that potential money, she is going to bring to the league will go poof.

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
Nope. She belongs to a union. She will receive the amount the union negotiated, which is really a gift since the WNBA has never made money. Oh, and now that they are flying charters only, the WNBA will need to practically double their revenue just to break even. If she can't shoot better than 5 for 13 from 3 all that potential money, she is going to bring to the league will go poof.
5/13 is 38.5%. Her college career she was 37.7% so what the hell are you talking about??

Reactions: MilleGinja
If she can't shoot better than 5 for 13 from 3 all that potential money, she is going to bring to the league will go poof.

First game she ever play as a pro she shoots a percentage that would have been good for 8th in the league last year (amongst ladies with 4 or more attempts a game)

Her 13 also included a desperation 3 she just had to release as even a tenth of a second later and the shot wouldn’t have counted.

Don’t include that she is right there with the best in the league at shooting the 3.

But hell it’s one preseason game - bold statement from ya based on a practice game.

The wnba is a flash in the pan and will face financial difficulty in the near future. It isn't a sustainable business model, Clark or not.

Lolol.. There was plenty of great comments about her going 5 for 13, (still almost 39% by the way). With she'll have way better games, and she started like 4 of 6. The biggest thing with Clark is that its never been about that anyway. Its about the difficulty of those shots and where she shoots from. Clearly you haven;t been watching her impact the last two years.....

The wnba is a flash in the pan and will face financial difficulty in the near future. It isn't a sustainable business model, Clark or not.
In there 28th season, so sure flash n the pan. Duh... look every one knows the NBA is the $$ behind this, but if you don't see there is something going on with Clark and the other new stars and major companies wanting to support this I'm not sure what else to tell you. The fact that a few of you guys don't like the womens game and keep posting this negative shit doesn't mean that everyone else is as deaf and dumb as you are.....

Put me in the corner of let’s wait and see. If Clark performs in the WNBA for a decade like she did in college, she could permanently raise the profile and revenues and new media rights deals. If she blows out her knee this year and is never the same, this could be a flash in the pan. How the math works out we will see.

Yes, and she's getting it from other sources. I'm sure her bank account doesn't care where it’s coming from......
I was responding to annother poster who said the WNBA can’t pay better salaries because they don’t have the money. With the arrival of CC, that could possibly change, so I posed the question of whether they should get more now.

The interesting thing is does the WNBA seize the momentum and take the opportunity to price families out of the experience. Just when you are going to bring in hundreds/thousands of new fans to your games, including a ton of young children, teams are raising ticket prices due to the demand, thereby chasing some of those families away.

The interesting thing is does the WNBA seize the momentum and take the opportunity to price families out of the experience. Just when you are going to bring in hundreds/thousands of new fans to your games, including a ton of young children, teams are raising ticket prices due to the demand, thereby chasing some of those families away.
I think once she settles in and the craze dies down, the bigger arenas should have cheaper seats. I see that there are lots of seats for tomorrow's preseason game for $6.

In there 28th season, so sure flash n the pan. Duh... look every one knows the NBA is the $$ behind this, but if you don't see there is something going on with Clark and the other new stars and major companies wanting to support this I'm not sure what else to tell you. The fact that a few of you guys don't like the womens game and keep posting this negative shit doesn't mean that everyone else is as deaf and dumb as you are.....
Regardless of how many seasons they have been in existance, it would have been shut down years ago if the NBA did not subsidize it. This is their chance to become relevant. They have a number of players coming into the league that are more recognizable than their male counterparts going to the NBA. We will see. But professional sports is about profit. If the viewership is not there, then contracts will not go up. Pretty simple economics and no amount of virtue signaling is going to change it.

My recollection is that women's soccer made a helluva lot more (and performed better internationally) than the mens. They had economic bargaining power, go them.

The NBA wouldn't be investing in the WNBA if they didn't expect a payoff, either directly or through complimentary economics. The NBA fully expects the WNBA to pay back dividends in the future, its an investment in big business. Not sure why it bothers you that women want to get paid more.

I was responding to annother poster who said the WNBA can’t pay better salaries because they don’t have the money. With the arrival of CC, that could possibly change, so I posed the question of whether they should get more now.
Easy answer. NO, because they don't have the money now. Once they make a decent profit (they will as long as CC stays and plays), the salaries will reflect that in couple years or so

My recollection is that women's soccer made a helluva lot more (and performed better internationally) than the mens. They had economic bargaining power, go them.

The NBA wouldn't be investing in the WNBA if they didn't expect a payoff, either directly or through complimentary economics. The NBA fully expects the WNBA to pay back dividends in the future, its an investment in big business. Not sure why it bothers you that women want to get paid more.
Doesn't matter the the women's soccer team is more successful than the mens. World wide, there is far less interest in women's World Cup compared to men's World Cup. This means mens soccer has lot more money to give to mens teams. Pretty simple.

It's like saying the best AAA baseball players should make just as much money as any Major League players because they are more successful. NO they shouldn't because nobody cares about AAA baseball.

The only bargaining power that the women's soccer team has is the uninformed people who cater to women soccer players who complain about pay gap.

I don't know a lot about marketing, but one thing I would tell these women is to not forget they are basketball players, not politicians. Don’t get sucked into that misery.

Regardless of how many seasons they have been in existance, it would have been shut down years ago if the NBA did not subsidize it. This is their chance to become relevant. They have a number of players coming into the league that are more recognizable than their male counterparts going to the NBA. We will see. But professional sports is about profit. If the viewership is not there, then contracts will not go up. Pretty simple economics and no amount of virtue signaling is going to change it.
My point being, (and mainly directed at the clowns like Guy9 and GOHOX, because they HATE the womens game), is most people can't see the forest for the trees. Everyone knows that the NBA subsidizes the W. Thats not news. BUT the NBA is stale and stagnent from a growth perspective. Is there REALLY a market out there for new NBA fans? For the most part I'd say the answer is NO. What the league, and many of the major companies have seen by the last year and a half in the womens game, is there just may be a new market in the womens game. Vastly increased TV viewership, (the womens game out drew the mens championship for the first time ever), ticket sales, and merch. There is alot of big money being put behind this right now because big sports companies like NIKE, and the league see this as a new source of revenue and growth. Millions of people have shown interest in the womens game. Certainly Clark had a lot to do with this but she is not alone. While people tuned in to see her, they saw good athletic basketball being played. Frankly there's a lot more to good basketball then dunking, and in the truest sense the game would be better played if they went back to the 70's and eliminating dunking. Just IMHO of course). Honestly I don't really think that the other STARS being pushed out front right now, (Brink, Cardosa, Reese as example) are really any better then the ladies who were already in the game previously. The difference is the current media exposure they are receiving. Big money WANTS this to happen as a new growth market. The population is way over 50% female, and its no joke to say many control the purse strings, (to pardon a pun) when it comes to entertainment and clothing, merch purchases. This will not be pushed aside because a bunch of men don't want to watch women play sports, or stupid shit like they play with a smaller ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: remerson and mphawk
Doesn't matter the the women's soccer team is more successful than the mens. World wide, there is far less interest in women's World Cup compared to men's World Cup. This means mens soccer has lot more money to give to mens teams. Pretty simple.

It's like saying the best AAA baseball players should make just as much money as any Major League players because they are more successful. NO they shouldn't because nobody cares about AAA baseball.

The only bargaining power that the women's soccer team has is the uninformed people who cater to women soccer players who complain about pay gap.
I don't really wish to go down a rabbit hole with you, my assumption was that womens soccer generated more revenue for the USA Soccer Federation than the mens soccer because the women have been far more successful and more popular. I tried to find data on this issue but failed. If my assumption is wrong then I'm wrong.

Mens soccer (world cup) generated 6 billion, womens generated 570million. Women got a 20% cut, men got a 3% cut. Hmmmm, the women get 7x the rate of men from their revenue.

NBA subsidized the WNBA to start, currently the WNBA generates about 200 million (vs 10billion for men). It is simply the fact that people aren't\weren't interested in women's athletics. That could change this year in WNBA with the latest rookie class, and then it is up to the PLAYERS and LEAGUE to come to agreements on pay vs revenue.

I am all for women getting paid more, when they generate the revenue to do so. Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't fair, you have to draw people to your event and if you don't that isn't the mens fault.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT