ADVERTISEMENT

Women's tournament thread

Just my general overarching feeling… I feel pretty good about the tournament, but this is a very tough bracket, I’m not upset about it. It is what it is, but this team just needs to get rolling. I think there are bigger scares closer to their home bracket. West Virginia, and Princeton, Princeton, in particular are no joke & Colorado or a game drake those are tough goes …

If we get to moving & shaking, we’re gonna be a dangerous out.

Well if they can beat LSU, then they can do the "M" gesture all they want......
Hoping the long layoff doesn’t impact the Hawkeyes like it appeared to with LSU.
LSU is a bunch of selfish individuals who happen to wear matching outfits.

Iowa is a team. The layoff will energize Iowa. Say some prayers for Holy Cross.

LSU is a bunch of selfish individuals who happen to wear matching outfits.

Iowa is a team. The layoff will energize Iowa. Say some prayers for Holy Cross.
Well, those selfish individuals beat that team last year. So what’s your point?

Got the chance to watch some women’s b-ball this evening. There’s a lot of good teams out there. Many we’ve played. But it was always going to be tough sledding regardless.

Maryland looks good, so has Drake….These west coast teams are big & good. But not ultra athletic per se..

The Clown gals rising from the dead to take the lead on Maryland
Painful watching someone with limited skill dominate a game just because they outweigh everyone by 50+ lbs. Reminds me of Shaq backing thru guys for easy dunks.

So glad we get to watch a player with actual skill instead of this trash.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Painful watching someone with limited skill dominate a game just because they outweigh everyone by 50+ lbs. Reminds me of Shaq backing thru guys for easy dunks.

She has good hands and footwork but your point is still valid.

Reactions: ddeanHawk

Bad take…. She has some of the absolute softest hands I have ever seen and she can actually move pretty well, and she has terrific footwork and she’s only a freshman!!

For a true freshman many on here thought not good enough to play. Big 12 freshman of the year, 40 points against Maryland in her first NCAA game. I didn’t expect this
Nobody did. She is actually good. Great soft hands. Reminds me of Victor Alexander. She wa 18-20 from the field tonight. A hell of a lot of players couldn’t do that if nobody else was in the gym.

LSU was unimpressive, but get a fortunate draw with MTSU winning. I see UCLA taking out LSU in the Sweet 16.

Maryland really blew it against ISU, terrible collapse in the 3rd quarter.

Chalk otherwise assuming Nebraska and Stanford win.

Colorado / KSU should be an intriguing game Sunday, as well as see how VT fares w/o Kitley against Baylor.

Has anyone else noticed that the coverage on CC has been increased exponentially over the past few weeks? I suppose it makes sense with the tournament, but with how there have been so many pieces talking about her GOAT status, how she's the most popular ball player in the US, etc. it almost feels like they're puffing up Iowa so much that they secretly want them to lose. It's hard to explain, but man does CC and the team have sky high expectations from everyone. I just hope they take care of business quickly and cleanly against Holy Cross.

It amazes me how petty people can be. Crooks was amazing tonight. 18/20 (I don't care where she was on the floor) is damn impressive! ShuDaddy is the type that will criticize an Iowa State player for any reason - simply wearing an ISU jersey is all that matters. Put an Iowa jersey on the same player, and his tune would change. Probably hated Kylie Feuerbach + Adam Haluska too...until they transferred. Give people credit no matter who they play for.

If Nebraska and Indiana don't win a few it's looking bleak for the Big Ten overall.

Nebraska's Markowski already sitting with two fouls in the 1st. They were really shooting out of their minds in the BTT. Not the case early in this game.

Got the chance to watch some women’s b-ball this evening. There’s a lot of good teams out there. Many we’ve played. But it was always going to be tough sledding regardless.

Maryland looks good, so has Drake….These west coast teams are big & good. But not ultra athletic per se..
Maryland choaked.
Crooks is a load. Bad defense on her by Maryland. Should have worked on getting her into foul trouble.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Bad take…. She has some of the absolute softest hands I have ever seen and she can actually move pretty well, and she has terrific footwork and she’s only a freshman!!
Can't disagree. Still think they should have tried to get her into foul trouble.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Nobody did. She is actually good. Great soft hands. Reminds me of Victor Alexander. She wa 18-20 from the field tonight. A hell of a lot of players couldn’t do that if nobody else was in the gym.

Aahhhh yes, old Victor, he was a hell of a ball player. I think he even kicked around in the NBA for a while, didn’t he?

Maryland choaked.
Crooks is a load. Bad defense on her by Maryland. Should have worked on getting her into foul trouble.
She is way too smart to be baited….Maryland was trying all night to get her in trouble. Crooks is too quick for that stuff. She is really smart in how she uses her body to gain position advantage and she has really great soft hands……She’s a shot put-er and good put-ers are very well coordinated…..she a very gifted athlete.

Nebraska 2-11 from 3pt in the first half. Just a completely different team than the buzzsaw Iowa had to overcome.

The long layoff doesn't seem to be doing any favors. Of course a possibility Iowa's defense on the 3pt line needs some work. I guess we find out more about that tomorrow.

She is way too smart to be baited….Maryland was trying all night to get her in trouble. Crooks is too quick for that stuff. She is really smart in how she uses her body to gain position advantage and she has really great soft hands……She’s a shot put-er and good put-ers are very well coordinated…..she a very gifted athlete.
If she gets 40 against Brink, I will be on board. Even 25 would be impressive.

It amazes me how petty people can be. Crooks was amazing tonight. 18/20 (I don't care where she was on the floor) is damn impressive! ShuDaddy is the type that will criticize an Iowa State player for any reason - simply wearing an ISU jersey is all that matters. Put an Iowa jersey on the same player, and his tune would change. Probably hated Kylie Feuerbach + Adam Haluska too...until they transferred. Give people credit no matter who they play for.
Answer my question then, hillbilly dork…..how many of those 18 makes were outside 5ft or required anything other than a basic turn or 1-2 power dribbles to her strong hand?

Outweighing your defender by 50+ lbs & being able to catch passes right under the basket doesn’t make you a great player. I wasn’t a fan of Joens & her flailing every time she drove to the basket, but at least she had some skills.

Nebraska nearly did a Nebraska. A&M misses the final shot. This game and the MSU/Maryland losses today not exactly instilling confidence in Iowa's Big Ten resume.

A&M defense is tight and tenacious. Nebraska never had good looks.
*Jaz Shelley went 2-11 (0-6) for 5pts.

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
Shelley missed her last free throw and A&M had one last look at a 3 for a win, but airballed it and Nebraska survives.

How many of those 20 shots were inside 5 ft from the basket?? Again…..just a big brute with limited skill set. Soft hands though!
I was just amazed she was able to stay on the floor for most of the game. Still she's pretty slow getting back on defense in transition. Also thought you could have called her for 3 seconds about 50 times if that was still a thing..

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Nebraska nearly did a Nebraska. A&M misses the final shot. This game and the MSU/Maryland losses today not exactly instilling confidence in Iowa's Big Ten resume.

A&M defense is tight and tenacious. Nebraska never had good looks.
*Jaz Shelley went 2-11 (0-6) for 5pts.
Lolol.. That has nothing to do with Iowa's resume. Maryland led most of the game, and they looked like shit most of the year. They have athletes, so they had their moments. Nebraska went ALL in on beating Iowa. Not surprised to seem them struggle in first game.

Has anyone else noticed that the coverage on CC has been increased exponentially over the past few weeks? I suppose it makes sense with the tournament, but with how there have been so many pieces talking about her GOAT status, how she's the most popular ball player in the US, etc. it almost feels like they're puffing up Iowa so much that they secretly want them to lose. It's hard to explain, but man does CC and the team have sky high expectations from everyone. I just hope they take care of business quickly and cleanly against Holy Cross.
Yup.

ESPN is trying to manufacture the shift to JuJu, so they're hyping up Clark and Iowa now because of the horsesh** bracket we were intentionally given.

You'll see it reflected in the officiating as well as we get deeper in the tournament.

Answer my question then, hillbilly dork…..how many of those 18 makes were outside 5ft or required anything other than a basic turn or 1-2 power dribbles to her strong hand?

Outweighing your defender by 50+ lbs & being able to catch passes right under the basket doesn’t make you a great player. I wasn’t a fan of Joens & her flailing every time she drove to the basket, but at least she had some skills.
Crooks has made more three-pointers this year than Gustafson and Czinano did in their nine years of play.

She scored 40 ****ing points against a perennial b1g power. You're overthinkng it

Just 1 upset yesterday (an 11 over a 6), otherwise all chalk. Not nearly as entertaining as the mens tournament, but everyone knew that already.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Crooks has made more three-pointers this year than Gustafson and Czinano did in their nine years of play.
And she made zero in the game we’re talking about where she simply overwhelmed their posts with her girth.

Are the stats I’m seeing correct that she was 5-15 from 3 this season? If so, she really lit it up from deep!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT