ADVERTISEMENT

Women's tournament thread

Answer my question then, hillbilly dork…..how many of those 18 makes were outside 5ft or required anything other than a basic turn or 1-2 power dribbles to her strong hand?

Outweighing your defender by 50+ lbs & being able to catch passes right under the basket doesn’t make you a great player. I wasn’t a fan of Joens & her flailing every time she drove to the basket, but at least she had some skills.
As an Iowa fan myself I need to ask............what the f*** are you crying about?

Answer my question then, hillbilly dork…..how many of those 18 makes were outside 5ft or required anything other than a basic turn or 1-2 power dribbles to her strong hand?

Outweighing your defender by 50+ lbs & being able to catch passes right under the basket doesn’t make you a great player. I wasn’t a fan of Joens & her flailing every time she drove to the basket, but at least she had some skills.
How is that any different than Edey?

I get why you think it’s unfair but it’s not like you can pick any massive woman off the streets and she’ll be a great basketball player.

Hillbilly dork? Nice response.

I watched the Cyclone postgame interviews. Listening to Audi I could tell she's so much more than an athlete. For being just a freshman she's very mature and intelligent with many other talents. She's been through adversity with the loss of her dad 3 years ago and I think that's what drives her. This Hawkeye fan wishes her the best moving forward.

Painful watching someone with limited skill dominate a game just because they outweigh everyone by 50+ lbs. Reminds me of Shaq backing thru guys for easy dunks.

So glad we get to watch a player with actual skill instead of this trash.
Absolute bullshit take my man. You know how hard it is to go 18-20 in a game at any level? She is a problem.

WVU's suffocating defense is going to frustrate the hell out of Clark.

It's a very low-scoring game overall.

Hillbilly dork? Nice response.
However, he does have a point…the bulk Crook’s points are layups. She simply uses her girth to carve out space. She does have soft hands, so does a good job of catching entry passes.

If you'll permit Ol' Doodle to editorialize for a moment. The women's game is better than it has ever been. But "The CC Effect" can only fix so much.

A primary reason, IDHO, the men's tournament is still so much more compelling is the upsets. The Cinderellas. The "Whoa! No one saw that coming!!" moments.

In the women's tourney, with the first round almost complete, so far exactly ONE lower seed has won. Meanwhile on the men's side, ELEVEN lower seeds won. Yep...a full 1/3 of the first 32 games produced upsets.

There is more parity in the women's game than there has ever been. And at the very top, the competition and drama is ultra compelling. But the lower half seeds are essentially annual sacrificial lambs, leaving the women's tournament with a long way to go to catch the men in terms of start-to-finish, full field of 64 intrigue.

Hopefully it keeps making strides after CC is off to the WNBA. Sports fans like unpredictability. Unfortunately, even as competition has improved, the Women's tourney is still all too predictable.

If you'll permit Ol' Doodle to editorialize for a moment. The women's game is better than it has ever been. But "The CC Effect" can only fix so much.

A primary reason, IDHO, the men's tournament is still so much more compelling is the upsets. The Cinderellas. The "Whoa! No one saw that coming!!" moments.

In the women's tourney, with the first round almost complete, so far exactly ONE lower seed has won. Meanwhile on the men's side, ELEVEN lower seeds won. Yep...a full 1/3 of the first 32 games produced upsets.

There is more parity in the women's game than there has ever been. And at the very top, the competition and drama is ultra compelling. But the lower half seeds are essentially annual sacrificial lambs, leaving the women's tournament with a long way to go to catch the men in terms of start-to-finish, full field of 64 intrigue.

Hopefully it keeps making strides after CC is off to the WNBA. Sports fans like unpredictability. Unfortunately, even as competition has improved, the Women's tourney is still all too predictable.
Agreed

Last season’s tournament had a lot more parody and upsets

Hopefully some decent games tomorrow. Colorado/Kstate, Ohio State/Duke, Oregon State/Nebraska, Baylor/VT, Stanford/ISU. I did notice that Betts hasn't played so far for UCLA. They're up 24-21 with around 2:30 left in the 2nd period.

Reactions: fish1hawk
Didn't help she was battling a migraine.
To the point TV showed her dad telling her to “be quiet” from the crowd? Migraine or not….,.opponents from here on out, are gonna push and shove #22 from the time she steps on to the court until she walks off the court. That’s the way the game works……Migraine or not……no excuses. If she’s sick, maybe she shouldn’t be playing?
Yes, #22 is that important from here on out.

How many of those 20 shots were inside 5 ft from the basket?? Again…..just a big brute with limited skill set. Soft hands though!
So why aren’t there any other girls her size putting up 40 points in their first NCAA game. Guess they aren’t skilled.

Reactions: hawkod
How many of those 20 shots were inside 5 ft from the basket?? Again…..just a big brute with limited skill set. Soft hands though!

Those shots don’t count? I’m assuming you didn’t think Monica Cyzano had much skill either or Hanna Stuelke for that matter…🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and littlez
And she made zero in the game we’re talking about where she simply overwhelmed their posts with her girth.

Are the stats I’m seeing correct that she was 5-15 from 3 this season? If so, she really lit it up from deep!!

You do realize of course, your comments say more about you and your jealousy &/or just poor bball acumen, right?

We recruited her…

Reactions: littlez

Then maybe they should make weighing more illegal 🤷‍♂️

Maybe being taller too..,,

So…I watched way more women’s b-ball the last couple days than men’s. The Big 10 looked decent, actually their top 4 teams, all looked quite good.

Michigan honestly had a chance to help us look really good, they had that game in the bag.

Saw most of our bracket play. It’s been commented by all that it’s a tough bracket. It is, As I’ve watched these teams play, I actually believe these are great matchups for Iowa.

I noted earlier in the year that I didn’t think I’d wanted to have to play that Princeton team. And although I think they were probably the most well-rounded team, West Va started turning them over and they couldn’t recover.

I’m excited about playing that press. They actually aren’t particularly big and their posts are slow. Their guards are 5-6,5-8,5-8, 5-10 & 5-11. They play 7 girls and don’t shoot FTs well. Or 3s…

Everyone talks about our interior and it being a matchup issue, but at this point. I watched UCLA, and Colorado. Those teams will struggle getting up & down the court with us.

Like many of you, I felt that game was quite a bit of a struggle and that we weren’t really ever in sync but outside of that girl getting loose for four wide open three-pointers in the first quarter. We actually kicked the shit out of them, go back and look at the box score…

Nebraska nearly did a Nebraska. A&M misses the final shot. This game and the MSU/Maryland losses today not exactly instilling confidence in Iowa's Big Ten resume.

A&M defense is tight and tenacious. Nebraska never had good looks.
*Jaz Shelley went 2-11 (0-6) for 5pts.

Meh….I don’t agree. All good teams the Lost to.

We took a 12 point lead @ the 5:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter & I don’t believe it ever got closer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT