Inthecircle

HR MVP
Apr 3, 2018
57 kg Richards wins 10-0
61 kg Gross wins by forfeit
65 kg Yanni loses 10-3
70 kg Berger wins 10-0
74 kg Joesph loses 8-0
79kg Burroughs wins 10-0 in 1:05. Used a craddle for two of his ten. Crazy but true
86 kg Valencia wins 10-0. In 30 seconds Td and four guts
92 kg Jackson by forfeit
97 kg Snyder winner by Injury Default. The match never started.
125 kg Zillmer loses 3-1. Nearly had a TD as time expired.

USA wins the dual 7-3.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Burroughs opponent was smiling and geeking out when he walked off that mat too
Same at the intro! Burroughs was stone faced, all business, and the Mongolian looked like a kid in a candy store. Swear he was grinning ear to ear the entire match.

Last edited:
Yeah it was pretty brutal. In five of the nine matches we lost by tech fall.
This is the direct result of not competing with your best possible team. Miracle had a good match but lost 12-8 or 12-10.
On the Women's side Mongolia upset Japan.

Reactions: depelland
I may be miss remembering but thought she said she was not going the college wrestling route. I hope I’m wrong and I hope Chun can bring her in.
I could see that. Why not go pro. I think she was a three level world champ this year. Why not stay on the circuit and cash those victory checks.

I’m just enamored with her style and forward pressure. No one else has quite her style. She must have incredible strength and feel. I could see her really helping a college room full of young ladies.

The women will take on Mongolia for third this morning at 11. The men will wrestle Iran for gold at 6.

I may be miss remembering but thought she said she was not going the college wrestling route. I hope I’m wrong and I hope Chun can bring her in.

I also can't remember for certain, but thought I heard/read that both Elor and Katie Gomez were taking a gap year but were planning on college after.

Richards wins 57
Gross Tech fall 10-0
Yanni goes down 5-4 in a rematch of the World Championships.

It's on Flo now guys. You are missing some great wrestling. USA vs. IRAN.
FINALS

Pantaleo wins 4-3. Didn't see that coming. Almost choked it away. 10 seconds left up 4-1 gets taken down and gutted for another 2. USA challenges. Turn ruled OB.

Wow, Burroughs goes down. 6-6 criteria. Iranian had 6 points second period with a turn.

Last edited:
Burroughs tough loss 6-6 on criteria, but I do always love seeing how much the Iranians respect him. A lot of love shown his way after the match

Reactions: Sett1997
Burroughs tough loss 6-6 on criteria, but I do always love seeing how much the Iranians respect him. A lot of love shown his way after the match
Iranians have the best sportsmanship win or lose. Very impressive.
Zahid almost chokes it away. Wins 5-3
Zahid looks to be getting better every time I see him wrestle.
Gassed a little but other than that he really looks good.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrod65
Just little color commentary here for those Iowa fans. Both Jackson and Richards were high school wrestlers in Illinois and they were in the middle class - 2A. I know you guys used to kid each other (good naturedly) about only kids from Iowa's big class (3A) had college wrestling potential, so I wanted to point that out about those 2 guys.

It is kind of cool to look back and see where guys came from at this stage and level.

Last edited:
Zilmer goes down 6-1. Thought it would be worse against the Iranian monster. Good job Steveson, you could have done both.

Iranians have the best sportsmanship win or lose. Very impressive.
Zahid almost chokes it away. Wins 5-3
Zahid looks to be getting better every time I see him wrestle.
Gassed a little but other than that he really looks good.
I agree. Other than running out of gas at the end, he looked impressive this weekend. Very powerful on his takedowns and guts.

Reactions: jrod65 and Sett1997
I agree. Other than running out of gas at the end, he looked impressive this weekend. Very powerful on his takedowns and guts.
He looks to be our answer when Taylor retires. His improvement is impressive.
Plus he looks like Sampson with the hair. Lol

Just little color commentary here for those Iowa fans. Both Jackson and Richards were high school wrestlers in Illinois and they were in the middle class - 2A. I know you guys used to kid each other (good naturedly) about only kids from Iowa's big class (3A) had college wrestling potential, so I wanted to point that out about those 2 guys.

It is kind of cool to look back and see where guys came from at this stage and level.

Was very impressed with Richards. He wrestled really, really well. Was awesome to see him soak in the love from the crowd as well.

Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT