ADVERTISEMENT

Would you move to Tulsa if they gave you $10,000 to do so?

Move to Tulsa for $10,000?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Hell Naw...

Votes: 55 84.6%
  • I already live in Tulsa

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
If you work remotely and want to make an extra $10,000, relocating to Tulsa might be your next move.

Tulsa Remote, a program funded by the George Kaiser Family Foundation, is offering 250 people the opportunity to make $10,000 by simply moving to Oklahoma, the organizers announced Tuesday. The money comes in the form of a grant and is distributed to the recipient over the course of a year.

The program was launched in 2018, and more than 10,000 applications came in from more than 150 countries, Tulsa Remote Executive Director Aaron Bolzle told CNN. More than 100 people were selected.

The initiative decided to expand their offer in 2020 by more than doubling the amount of people they would accept.

"We wanted to remove the barrier to come from other cities -- and the money got people's attention," Bolzle told CNN.

"Tulsa suffered from a lack of perception -- we had an opportunity to expose the country and the world as to what was happening here."

The rules are pretty simple. Applicants must be full-time remote workers or be self-employed outside of Oklahoma and eligible to work in the United States. They must be older than 18 and be able to move to Tulsa within six months. Once accepted, recipients agree to live in Tulsa for at least one year.

However, recipients get more than just a stack of cash. The program provides free workspace, housing specials on certain apartments and community hangouts and meetups.

"If we could get people to come for a year, we believed we could get them to stay longer," Bolzle told CNN.

And it's proving to be true. Bolzle told CNN that 12 of this year's participants already bought houses in the city, and the people are buying into the community. Bolzle said some have started non-profits and the program has even inspired job creation.

"Taking the leap of faith to move to Tulsa was one of the best decisions I ever made," said Taylor Allen, who was selected for the 2019 Tulsa Remote program. "The community has been so welcoming and has quickly made Tulsa feel like home. I am thankful for the abundant opportunities to invest in Tulsa through what I'm already passionate about."

So, if you are thinking about relocating, you might want to give Tulsa a shot.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/business/10k-for-tulsa-trnd/index.html

I go thru that town all the time on the way to Ottumwa. nice town. I don't mind it. 10k does not appeal to me though. not with 30 years of stuff to move. I probably got 15k in moving fees with all this crap

It's not like Tulsa is some backwoods area. It's bigger than Des Moines. if you don't like it you can move after a year anyway.

Wacky white nationalist and YouTube personality ramzpaul and Jon Miller could be your neighbors.

Seriously...moving is not cheap. I get $10k but it’s still very much a negative net loss...I have no other incentive to move...there’s no better job or anything.

Reactions: goldmom
$10K is relocation expenses for an established professional with a family. This program is most likely geared toward younger, mobile workers for whom $10K is a nice chunk of change and can pick up and move easily.

It's actually a smart move. Fill the city with young, hip professionals, who will attract new companies and eventually put down roots.

To sell a house, pay movers, buy another house, pay for new appliances and all the other things you do when you move into a new house, would easily run $50 to $100k. I know because I’ve made two major moves in the last four years.

Unless you’re single living in an apartment in a fairly low paying job ( so low than $10k sounds like a lot of money) that is a non-starter.

Plus, Tulsa is in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

I used to live in Tulsa and still have friends there. It's a great town. Lots of pretty girls without attitudes.
Home to Leon Russell, J.J. Cale, Don Williams, David Gates, Gary Busey, and Southern Hills golf course.

I have family in Tulsa, it’s actually a pretty nice place but 10k isn’t enough to get me to move anywhere.

To sell a house, pay movers, buy another house, pay for new appliances and all the other things you do when you move into a new house, would easily run $50 to $100k. I know because I’ve made two major moves in the last four years.

Unless you’re single living in an apartment in a fairly low paying job ( so low than $10k sounds like a lot of money) that is a non-starter.

Plus, Tulsa is in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Sounds like you're bad at buying and selling houses. I've made a shit ton of money every time I've moved.

Reactions: 1flyer
Sounds like you're bad at buying and selling houses. I've made a shit ton of money every time I've moved.

I am actually very good at buying and selling. My suspicion is you're just bad at accounting. There is no net income produced when you move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
I am actually very good at buying and selling. My suspicion is you're just bad at accounting. There is no net income produced when you move.

...unless you're good at buying and selling. my statement is true, regardless of the interim expenses of home ownership.

I have family in Tulsa, it’s actually a pretty nice place but 10k isn’t enough to get me to move anywhere.

Exactly...$10k wouldn’t motivate most people who actually own a house and possessions to move anywhere.

So who are they going to attract? Do you really want your city full of the type of person who would go there for a small amount of cash? They obviously lack purchasing power.

...unless you're good at buying and selling. my statement is true, regardless of the interim expenses of home ownership.

Again, I think you just don't understand accounting. For example, purchase a home for $500k then sell it for $800k. Some folks will say they just made $300k. They would be wrong. Assuming about 8% closing costs you are actually down $64k. Yes, you realized the increase in value of your home by selling it; you turned its value into cash. But the act of selling the house did not increases your net worth.

This isn't opinion.

Again, I think you just don't understand accounting. For example, purchase a home for $500k then sell it for $800k. Some folks will say they just made $300k. They would be wrong. Assuming about 8% closing costs you are actually down $64k. Yes, you realized the increase in value of your home by selling it; you turned its value into cash. But the act of selling the house did not increases your net worth.

This isn't opinion.

But until you've transacted you haven't realized any value. So it's great that it impacts your net worth on paper, but you can't (or at least shouldn't) pull equity out of your house to buy the next house or otherwise invest. So it's a realized gain despite what may come with a small hit to your balance sheet. If you want to get deep into investment semantics then, sure, you're right. Hope you feel great about it.

But until you've transacted you haven't realized any value. So it's great that it impacts your net worth on paper, but you can't (or at least shouldn't) pull equity out of your house to buy the next house or otherwise invest. So it's a realized gain despite what may come with a small hit to your balance sheet. If you want to get deep into investment semantics then, sure, you're right. Hope you feel great about it.

But then you also have closing costs buying another house. And the cost of moving (we average about $10k for that.) And you will inevitably buy some new furniture and appliances, paint and do some other repairs and upgrades to the new house. Which is apt to be thousands of additional dollars. It's very expensive to move; especially across country. We pulled a very nice profit on both of our last two homes. But because we moved twice our net worth is way, way down than if we had just stayed put.

This isn't just some theoretical stuff -- it's real financial loss.

I had a buddy that lived there a couple years and I visited him a few times. It's actually a pretty fun city, good music scene, good food. That said, it's Africa hot in the summer so that's a no for me.

I’ve made commitment to not move to any place featured on 48 Hours
LOL. True!
Tulsa is actually rumored to be a pretty decent city. Affordable housing, etc. It's drivable to Dallas, Kansas City, OKC, and other bigger metro areas. $10K to move would likely appeal the most to younger professionals just a few years out of school, though.

Reactions: hawkcub
But then you also have closing costs buying another house. And the cost of moving (we average about $10k for that.) And you will inevitably buy some new furniture and appliances, paint and do some other repairs and upgrades to the new house. Which is apt to be thousands of additional dollars. It's very expensive to move; especially across country. We pulled a very nice profit on both of our last two homes. But because we moved twice our net worth is way, way down than if we had just stayed put.

This isn't just some theoretical stuff -- it's real financial loss.

We have had different experiences in the cost of our moves and profit versus renovation expense in new homes. To be fair, I've never made a long-distance move. And I sure as shit wouldn't move to Tulsa for $10K.

Reactions: artradley
I would be open to moving to a new place like that if it wasn't moving away from my kids and future grandkids. But 10k wouldn't come close to doing it.

However, it's in no remote way designed for us. It's for young people, people considering moving anyway, for which $10k not only would matter, but is certainly more than the $0k they would get moving somewhere else.

I think it's an interesting program.

Reactions: OrlandNole
So if I move to Tulsa I have to work remotely to get the money or can I work and live in Tulsa?

if I was a generic Lowe’s SAMs type worker wouldn’t it be a no brainer to move to Tulsa for a quick $10,000?

I used to live in Tulsa and still have friends there. It's a great town. Lots of pretty girls without attitudes.
Home to Leon Russell, J.J. Cale, Don Williams, David Gates, Gary Busey, and Southern Hills golf course.

And Bill Hader! I lived in Tulsa recently for about 3 years, honestly it's not a bad place at all. I liked it a lot better than Oklahoma City.

This is what passes for a public park in
Tulsa:

(The Gathering Place, 2019 USA Today Best New Place Award, $465 million Riverfront Park with restaurants, amphitheatre, World-Class Playground, trails, canoeing, bike track, skateboard park ... )

190611-gatheringplace-tease_z3qznr

1310e19cc9ca9a4de940f774f1e83819.jpg

190611-gatherplace-embed1_zbljz3

6d4e99591dbb187903952e67cb8ea782.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT