ADVERTISEMENT

WSU NIT

r448chlpo

All-Conference
Mar 8, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Tough game; poor shooting as Hawks taken out of their flow, poor shot selectoion, rebounding weak and every loose ball goes to an average WSU team. Just one of those days but youth really showed up. Unfortunate end to a fun season.

Formula again this year to beat Hawkeyes, play physical, play strong defense, rebound well and slow down tempo. That has worked for several years and killed the team today!

I guess the last B1G basketball team for either the men or women playing now is the Michigan's women's team in the NIT... Time to move on to other things...

Tough game; poor shooting as Hawks taken out of their flow, poor shot selectoion, rebounding weak and every loose ball goes to an average WSU team. Just one of those days but youth really showed up. Unfortunate end to a fun season.
WSU was 12-19 during the regular season. That's not average...that's crappy.

WSU was 12-19 during the regular season. That's not average...that's crappy.
WSU is young and was without their 3 best players for most of the season. The record is terrible but it was top 10 in terms of SOS and Pac 12 is #1 in the nation.

Really liked your team and Iowa support is special. Best of luck next season.

Reactions: LinusPF
WSU didn't play like a 15-19 team. Really quick and strong defense. It was a rough & tumble game with a lot of blood left on the court -- literally. Not Iowa's kind of game if the refs aren't calling it close.

Yeah, the blood on the court was mentioned on the radio. I continue to not understand why WBB has evolved in this direction. Rewarding knocking people around, and penalizing kids who have worked hard to develop higher skills. Why should Sam Logic have to go through the rest of her life with a face full of scars and broken teeth?

Guess you have to credit the WSU staff (along with the many other programs who play that way) for building their team for the current environment. Hope I live long enough to see the pendulum move back in the other direction.

Not Iowa's type of game. Got physical and the Hawks just seemed a bit off with every part of game from passing, to defense and rebounding and even their shot. Just didn't seem to have confidence in anything they did today. But they had a chance down 6 with a couple minutes when WSu was called for flagrant foul. ally only made one of the free throws and then didn't score with possession. If they would have made that a 4-5 point possession, I think they might have pulled it off. Kudos to Lisa to get a final standings ovation for Ally though

Reactions: LinusPF
WSU was physical and that's always tough for Iowa. They were the best O rebounding team in the Pac and I believe that was the toughest conference. They had 8 foreigners on the team so maybe they were better suited for a physical game. They for sure were the better D team, and really our guards didn't get many open looks so I give them credit. They did maul Megan inside all day. Funny point, Doyle bringing the ball up court and was bumped a foot off to the side by their guard and no call. Kathleen looked at the ref and just laughed.

That's just sucky officiating. I watched a DIII game several years ago where the defender threw a shoulder into the guard bringing the ball upcourt once, twice and finally received a foul on the 3rd. WTF? Next thing you know hockey-style body checks will be legal.

That's just sucky officiating. I watched a DIII game several years ago where the defender threw a shoulder into the guard bringing the ball upcourt once, twice and finally received a foul on the 3rd. WTF? Next thing you know hockey-style body checks will be legal.

The worst is those were Big Ten refs. Typical no blood no foul and inconsistent. I know Iowa needs to adjust better, but very frustrating to watch Megan Gustafson held both front and back on one end and then ticky tack fouls on our guards on the other end. Physical play is rewarded.

All in all, the WNIT run was a great experience. Stewart showed she can be a capable backup at the 5. I can't say enough about how Kastanek stepped up her game when needed. She went from a liability to an asset. Sorry to see her graduate now. Disterhoft got the much deserved scoring record. (I think the previous one should have had an asterisk. She played in the era when the schedule included William Penn and Grandview and before most of the Big Ten had WBB.) Gustafson just keeps getting better. All the extra home games were highly entertaining and drew new fans. The team has a lot to build on for next year. Hard to remember now that three starters were just freshmen.

The worst is those were Big Ten refs. Typical no blood no foul and inconsistent. I know Iowa needs to adjust better, but very frustrating to watch Megan Gustafson held both front and back on one end and then ticky tack fouls on our guards on the other end. Physical play is rewarded.

All in all, the WNIT run was a great experience. Stewart showed she can be a capable backup at the 5. I can't say enough about how Kastanek stepped up her game when needed. She went from a liability to an asset. Sorry to see her graduate now. Disterhoft got the much deserved scoring record. (I think the previous one should have had an asterisk. She played in the era when the schedule included William Penn and Grandview and before most of the Big Ten had WBB.) Gustafson just keeps getting better. All the extra home games were highly entertaining and drew new fans. The team has a lot to build on for next year. Hard to remember now that three starters were just freshmen.

This is pretty much what I watched. I have to give them credit though, it's like Ally said, even when they tossed it inside and tossed it back to the wing, they were everywhere. One thing about Ally's record, while playing against better competition, she also played more games. I didn't look up the difference, but it had to be a few more.

It did get really physical. And the Hawks took the brunt of the elbows. It was also very uneven in the calls. Megan is hard to knock off her feet, but WSU managed to shove her in the back so hard she was knocked to the floor. No fouls. Kathleen put her hand on a guard, immediate foul. Kathleen is rammed into, no foul.
So the bad officiating didn't help. But the Hawks were sloppy with the ball from the start. Slow reacting, dropping passes, throwing the ball to no one, passes over the head, passes at the feet. It seemed that they were mentally asleep.
The shooting was also suspect from the start. They missed at least seven layups. Missed 11 FT. At one point they were 4-9 from 3pt and had a seven point lead. They missed the last 14.
It wasn't just one person. They all had their bad moments. If they had played like they did in the other three games they would have won. The Colorado game was also very physical, but they hit from three and won easily.
All in all, a valuable experience for the young players. Tournament atmosphere, short prep times, and just the extra minutes on the court.

Reactions: r448chlpo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT