ADVERTISEMENT

WTF is Fran doing???

I thought this was going to be about the lineups and Conor playing so much. My guess is Fran has big money on this game and gave the points.

If you’re not smart enough to tell the difference and effort in the body language of those guys who got benched after that.. then I can’t help you! They were headed straight for a 115 points before that

Just plain wrong.

If you have to resort to that kind of Bobby Knight gimmick crap, you’ve lost them already. He left the “lesson” line up in too long and it cost him any realistic chance of winning the game.

Dumb, dinosaur bs.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Giving up 52 or 56 pts or whatever it was in 1st half is on Fran. Why are we running with Minnesota. Walk the ball up the court and learn how to play man-to-man defense.

Putting in scubs to play defense, that is message. I thought the lineup with Cmac + Dailey+ Moss at the guards gave us a lineup that could play man to man and switch on screens.

Giving up 52 or 56 pts or whatever it was in 1st half is on Fran. Why are we running with Minnesota. Walk the ball up the court and learn how to play man-to-man defense.

Putting in scubs to play defense, that is message. I thought the lineup with Cmac + Dailey+ Moss at the guards gave us a lineup that could play man to man and switch on screens.
If that’s in Fran then so is 16-5 and being solidly in the field at this point.. Which I know you might personally not be disputing

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Just plain wrong.

If you have to resort to that kind of Bobby Knight gimmick crap, you’ve lost them already. He left the “lesson” line up in too long and it cost him any realistic chance of winning the game.

Dumb, dinosaur bs.
They had a realistic chance at winning the game until Cook airballed the front end of a one and one and then dribbled into both defenders on a 3 on 2 fast break.

I agree he went with that lineup for too long, but it’s stupid that these 3 and 4 year players need to be benched and screamed at to get motivated in the first place

In 5 days I’m not sure they are solidly in the field. 50-50 they dance.
Rick.. The best Bracketologist has them as a 5 seed after tonight’s loss. Have you seen the bubble!? Iowa has a 50-50 shot if they go 8-12 at this point.. 11-9 Texas is currently in the field

Reactions: buudhawk
I agree w/ SotaHawk on every post he's made in this thread with the exception that Moss didn't deserve to get lumped in with the other four starters tonight. In fact, it might have made a more impressive statement if he selectively kept Moss out there with the other four starters riding the pine.

That move did result in a positive impact - they came back and made a game of it. Sometimes you need to lose the battle to win the war.

I agree w/ SotaHawk on every post he's made in this thread with the exception that Moss didn't deserve to get lumped in with the other four starters tonight. In fact, it might have made a more impressive statement if he selectively kept Moss out there with the other four starters riding the pine.

That move did result in a positive impact - they came back and made a game of it. Sometimes you need to lose the battle to win the war.
I won’t argue wirh that! Especially since he’s come out on the short end of benching scenarios tonight might have a been a good one to keep him out there. I thought he was fantastic tonight

This line up at the 13 min mark was awesome:

Connor
Dailey
Till
Kreiner
Baer

Now give me my raise, extension & larger buy out!
Fran was clearly trying to send a message there, but it was a risky lineup to have out on the court when the Hawks needed to chip away at the lead. Not a whole lot of offense to be had there. Amazing the deficit didn't skyrocket. Have to give a little bit of credit to this group for hanging in there and not letting it get completely out of hand.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fran should bench himself and his staff for 9 years of awful guard recruiting. Great we add Connor who is better than Ellingson but still not close to what was needed after last season. Only at Iowa we would land a kid ranked in the top 100 who has 0 offense. Connor = no threat to shoot. Bohannon - only 3's and he has a guy in his jersey once he steps across half court and Moss' play is highly erratic.

Minnesota scored 55 points in the first half. They
got too many easy layups and the Hawks did not
play any defense against the Gophers.

Minnesota scored 37 points in the second half.
Iowa lost the game in the first half and our defense
arrived too late to save the game for Hawkeyes.

A better game plan against Minnesota by Fran might
have prevented the 55 first half points The half time
adjustments came too late to defeat Minnesota..

We shouldn't be running with anyone who is any good. Hawks don't have the athletes to wear people down by running. All Iowa did by pushing the pace was give guys like Coffey and Washington oodles of confidence shooting dunks and open shots.

This team is better than last year. It remains to be seen if they will be anything more than a bubble NCAA team. The complete lack of effort and inattention to detail in the first half will get you beat every time.

We shouldn't be running with anyone who is any good. Hawks don't have the athletes to wear people down by running. All Iowa did by pushing the pace was give guys like Coffey and Washington oodles of confidence shooting dunks and open shots.

This team is better than last year. It remains to be seen if they will be anything more than a bubble NCAA team. The complete lack of effort and inattention to detail in the first half will get you beat every time.

Well stated. We have discussed this before but I concur that Fran is completely delusional in fact delusional might be an understatement about playing fast with the players he recruits. There is a reason Wisconsin has been successful for the last 20 years and it's because they understand they are a Ford Taurus not a sports car. Play fundamentally sound defense, limit possessions by working the shot clock and crisp ball movement with their inside out game. Fran keeps running street races with his Ford Taurus and hasn't learned in 9 years he can't win them.

Well stated. We have discussed this before but I concur that Fran is completely delusional in fact delusional might be an understatement about playing fast with the players he recruits. There is a reason Wisconsin has been successful for the last 20 years and it's because they understand they are a Ford Taurus not a sports car. Play fundamentally sound defense, limit possessions by working the shot clock and crisp ball movement with their inside out game. Fran keeps running street races with his Ford Taurus and hasn't learned in 9 years he can't win them.

It's weird. Hawks have an inside game with Cook and Garza that most in the league can't defend. Competent shooters and perimeter players in Bohannon, Moss, Wieskamp. Pound it inside, get teams in foul trouble, slow the game down.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
It's weird. Hawks have an inside game with Cook and Garza that most in the league can't defend. Competent shooters and perimeter players in Bohannon, Moss, Wieskamp. Pound it inside, get teams in foul trouble, slow the game down.

Exactly! When does Iowa look good? Working the ball in to Garza and Cook and those guys taking it at their guy or recognizing a double is coming and kicking out for an open shot. When does Iowa look like the least athletic team at the P5 level? When they try to run with no guards and a team outside of Cook who needs a trampoline to finish at the rim. Fran has not come close to recruiting to his style of play and it's to the point of insanity that he keeps pushing the same buttons with the same guys expecting different results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT