ADVERTISEMENT

WTT match and results?

???
Garrett got three turns. You don’t put them on their feet when the top man is repeatedly scoring in par terre.

On the Garrett TD, Austin got a caution for fleeing the mat. I don’t think the camera angle was good enough to say whether that was the right or wrong call. But the caution meant they go to par terre, which they did with 2:35 on the clock. It was 3-0 Garrett at that point.

They blew the whistle and Austin immediately grabbed Garrett’s leg with it gripped for the sole purpose of preventing Garrett from scoring, That’s called negative wrestling and he was properly warned for it.

Next Austin did the same thing with Garrett’s arm and again got a warning for negative wrestling.

The first scored gut wrench finished with 2:20 on the clock, just 15 secs after they went in par terre and after two warnings for negative wrestling on Austin.

Austin then grabbed Garret’s arm again and again got called for negative wrestling. At that point, the ref called a caution on Austin as he had already given Austin two warnings. That was with 2:12 to go. The caution meant a restart in par terre.

On the restart, Garrett immediately went to another gut wrench, which he used to score in just 10 secs. He then got another turn that he finished just 15 secs later and the match ended.

Only kidding. But the first caution was bad imo. What else is DeSanto supposed to do to defend that shot? His defense took him to the edge, not trying to flee. Maybe the time on top wasn't quite as long as it felt, but 15 seconds is unusually long, in this tournament and others. Not saying it would change the result, but that's about as harsh as they could officiate it.

Reactions: el dub and mcpat

Only kidding. But the first caution was bad imo. What else is DeSanto supposed to do to defend that shot? His defense took him to the edge, not trying to flee. Maybe the time on top wasn't quite as long as it felt, but 15 seconds is unusually long, in this tournament and others. Not saying it would change the result, but that's about as harsh as they could officiate it.
Here’s a better look at the 1st TD (and all the scoring). I agree that the fleeing call was questionable. Looked like he was maybe just trying to kick out. But I think it prob gets the same call in folkstyle.

Here’s a better look at the 1st TD (and all the scoring). I agree that the fleeing call was questionable. Looked like he was maybe just trying to kick out. But I think it prob gets the same call in folkstyle.

It definitely wasn't Austin's best match. I'm not too surprised with the outcome, as Garrett has looked great and Austin had to steal it late last time they met. I think we can all agree was the real deciding factor was the Shania Twain song they started blasting in the second period. No way ADS could focus after that.

Edit to say: wrong match. That was vs. Valencia. Maybe that is Austin's go to pump up song.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcpat
Welker vs Makoyed up now. Welker gets and angle for the trip, TD and two exposure, 4-0 Kylie. Makoyed answers with a TD but can't get a turn with the leg in. Kylie gets 2 exposure in a scramble to go up 6-2. Another TD and two laces and Kylie wins 12-2 by TF! Avenges a loss to Makoyed at the Open I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleric1 and jrod65
DeSanto vs NaTo now. These two have never met per CP. NaTo strikes first with a TD and and gut, but ADS gets the reversal, 4-1 NaTo. Step out for ADS, 4-2. Austin TD right on the restart to tie it 4-4. Another TD DeSanto and two laces, up 10-4 at the break.

Austin wasn’t great on bottom in folkstyle early in his career and improved in the bottom position greatly. I suspect he’ll learn a ton from today. His gas tank is such that if he solves his problems on bottom in par terre, he’ll never be out of a match.

???
Garrett got three turns. You don’t put them on their feet when the top man is repeatedly scoring in par terre.

On the Garrett TD, Austin got a caution for fleeing the mat. I don’t think the camera angle was good enough to say whether that was the right or wrong call. But the caution meant they go to par terre, which they did with 2:35 on the clock. It was 3-0 Garrett at that point.

They blew the whistle and Austin immediately grabbed Garrett’s leg with it gripped for the sole purpose of preventing Garrett from scoring, That’s called negative wrestling and he was properly warned for it.

Next Austin did the same thing with Garrett’s arm and again got a warning for negative wrestling.

The first scored gut wrench finished with 2:20 on the clock, just 15 secs after they went in par terre and after two warnings for negative wrestling on Austin.

Austin then grabbed Garret’s arm again and again got called for negative wrestling. At that point, the ref called a caution on Austin as he had already given Austin two warnings. That was with 2:12 to go. The caution meant a restart in par terre.

On the restart, Garrett immediately went to another gut wrench, which he used to score in just 10 secs. He then got another turn that he finished just 15 secs later and the match ended.
I don’t believe AD grabbed Garrett’s arm on the last caution. Garrett had AD’s wrist.

The ref certainly didn’t help ADS in the Garrett match, but Nashon was on a Vito-like mission today. There was just no stopping him.

That said, Austin really needs to improve his par terre defense.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Desanto looked like a novice I'm par Terre. Not sure what was going on in his head but everything he did was to prevent action from happening. Calls seemed biased from a casual perspective but not surprising to people who watch FS regularly. Garrett looks better than he has in a good while.

I believe DeSanto and Welker will have the opportunity at Final X to wrestle for True Third and make the National Team. Is there a stipend available for those on the National Team?

Desanto looked like a novice I'm par Terre. Not sure what was going on in his head but everything he did was to prevent action from happening. Calls seemed biased from a casual perspective but not surprising to people who watch FS regularly. Garrett looks better than he has in a good while.
Experience...
Desanto is still a novice in this world, He will be just fine especially when they learn how to make his pace a factor..

Reactions: mcpat
I believe DeSanto and Welker will have the opportunity at Final X to wrestle for True Third and make the National Team. Is there a stipend available for those on the National Team?
I believe Felicity Taylor and Rose Cassioppi are in the same position.

Definitely a stipend and you also get to go to all the national team camps which would be really valuable for austin. plus he gets another crack at fix.

Experience...
Desanto is still a novice in this world, He will be just fine especially when they learn how to make his pace a factor..
I agree, his style translates to freestyle well imo. I also think his style will give international guys fits more than domestic guys. First time wrestling desanto has got to be tough.

Reactions: mcpat and el dub
He ran into a guy on a heater this weekend. No shame in that.

I'm more excited about his third place match over NATO than any ADS match I've seen. Not the result, but the process. He showed a diverse set of attacks and finishes (right into lace transitions too) that we never saw from him in college. If he's figuring that stuff out now, it significantly raises his ceiling.

Ahh....4 Kg = 9 pounds. Since Sweaty said 9 pounds his point stands.

Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic Channel

Well…. I nevah.

So, in new math, four = 9… Interesting. Imma have to check the dictionary.
Thank god. My BMI chart using the new math now says I 'm not obese anymore. Thanks GOIA, better than any diet and do doubt true since I saw it here! Anyone got a Twinkie?

Reactions: el dub
We’re not big on figuring guys out. We’d rather just work harder on our game, imo.
El dub, im new here and hawk fan. Agree with you. Be careful to make logical common sense comments…..thats when the smart posters start name calling and saying PSU fan

Reactions: el dub
You think he's got 9 lbs to give? THAT could be a major problem.

From the eye test I would say yes. Many 33 pounders made the cut including Nahshon, Nato, Colon, TRam, Gross, Dennis, Graff and more. He will be skinny no doubt but think he could make it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT