ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

He's a decent backup and as you said, most well known Cyclone. That proves my point; when your most well known NBA product is a backup, recruits hardly see your program as an NBA developmental program.

that the piece of the puzzle that sealed the deal was Iowa State’s success of getting players to the NBA

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Yeah, I saw that,... but if that truly was a concern of his I'm surprised this ever came down to an in state decision...
It sounds like he lost a lot of offers (or didn’t get some higher profile ones) due to injury? I think his top 5 included Baylor, Virginia Tech, and Providence(?). With the camaraderie he’d built with the Iowa schools’ players, I’m not surprised it came down to those two, but do think that the NBA thing was one of the deciding factors

Even had black and gold balloons at the table. Did he really go that far to troll Iowa???

Combine that with his attendance at the Iowa game Friday night, and it looks a bit like that. If so...perfect fit for the clones.

(countdown until somebody freaks out, ignoring the "if so". 5...4...3...

Last edited:
Reactions: buchs
Anyone that has seen him play knows he's a bit soft and a better fit for big12 bball. Not a BIG type player. That could change, but as of right now, he's kinda soft.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
you don’t like winning tourney games?

Give me a break. Yes better than Lick but is that really saying much. His recruiting is poor to bad, in game management not good, defense pathetic but most of all he has had 9 years. If he hasnt taken us to a sweet 16 or higher in 9 years you gotta go imo. This is big time college basketball.

Give me a break. Yes better than Lick but is that really saying much. His recruiting is poor to bad, in game management not good, defense pathetic but most of all he has had 9 years. If he hasnt taken us to a sweet 16 or higher in 9 years you gotta go imo. This is big time college basketball.
So Garza is bad... weis is bad, marble was bad....on and on.

Seven footer with a great stroke from 3. Silky smooth. Has everything you need. In state, grew up a hawk, grandpa is a hawk, and we lose to Ronald. Big big loss.

Yes this one hurts big time as Fran won’t be able to even sell hope of this season doesn’t go well.

Not bad. But not a team that is going to compete for a title and make a run in the NCAAs. I doubt we even get there.

Haha, yeah, cause that just so easy to do...i mean if Fran would ust step aside the "chevshitskies" would be lining up, not the real ones, get a clue dude.

Haha, yeah, cause that just so easy to do...i mean if Fran would ust step aside the "chevshitskies" would be lining up, not the real ones, get a clue dude.

So lets just keep hoping we get better after year 9 of the same coach that has shown he cant get it done??? This makes a lot of sense.

If a player has NBA talent and is at a mid major and up school, they are going to the NBA.
Exactly. Makes me wonder what the real reason is that he chose ISU. I suppose if the family believes he has a better shot at the NBA playing for ISU, so be it.

Bottom line is.....he made the decision he felt was best for him. It would have been nice to have him at Iowa, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. There are more important things in my life than what school some teenager decides to attend.

One thing I have learned is that despite Iowa having mid-major recruiting and mid-major players and low-major coaching, they somehow compete in the Big Ten and have made the NCAA Tournament the last 4 of 6 years (after a rebuild from a complete disaster of a program).

I am not sure how that adds up ... how can the coaching, players, and recruiting all be so poor yet they are a top 40 program.

I don't love Fran as a coach but he is nowhere near as horrible as some of you make him out to be. If his recruiting is so terrible, then his coaching must be really good to turn players that don't belong in the Big Ten into a viable Big Ten and Tourney team. If it is coaching is so bad, then it must be acknowledged that his recruiting is actually a lot better than people say and his eye for finding under the radar talent is elite.

And once again, please someone tell us a VIABLE, REALISTIC Head Coach that Iowa can go get to come in and replace Fran that will take Iowa to that next level. I hear tons of complaining (and frankly unrealistic expectations) but no one ever has an answer.

Alford and Licklighter couldn't do it. Dr. Tom - and people put him on a pedestal and I did that for many years because I grew up as an Iowa fan during those magical 86 - 89 years - couldn't do it either. He won with Raveling's recruits and when they were gone, Iowa became what they basically are now under Fran. Dr. Tom has lived off the glow of those first 3 years but once Raveling's recruits were gone, they became what they are now.

It's been that way for 30 years and it apparently will take another Lute Olson to make it different. But where will that Lute Olson come from? And are people willing to take another Licklighter (I am not) to take that chance and have it epically fail?

I would have liked to have had Foster because there appears to be a lot of potential there (and Fran obviously wanted him) but he doesn't sound like someone that is even going to come in and be a big time player over the next couple of years. It's a loss but let's not overstate it.

Two of ISU's bench players entered the transfer portal today the week after Xavier Foster and another ISU target visited. Hmmmm....

This turned out to be true, Prohm filled those two spots immediately. Tells me they had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen at that time.

It sounds like he lost a lot of offers (or didn’t get some higher profile ones) due to injury? I think his top 5 included Baylor, Virginia Tech, and Providence(?). With the camaraderie he’d built with the Iowa schools’ players, I’m not surprised it came down to those two, but do think that the NBA thing was one of the deciding factors

I’m not convinced Prohm is some developer of talent. Good recruiter? Seems the evidence backs that up.
What comes first? The chicken or the egg?

Great, now the burn the house down fans are out for football and basketball. The kid made a decision based on what he thinks is best for him. Time to move on without burning the house down type of comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT