ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday at Carver was the worst display of sportsmanship I have witnessed in person by a coach.

Hawkirish

HR All-State
Oct 2, 2002
I have watched the Hawkeyes wrestle in person at least 200 times at duals, midlands, Big 10s and Nationals. I've watched quite a few other college duals in person the Hawks weren't involved in plus numerous televised meets and tournaments. I don't always agree with what I've seen from Iowa wrestlers or coaches but I haven't seen them step over the line like Montoya and Manning.

I kind of understand the emotion for Montoya after what will be the highlight of his career beating an injured Clark at the greatest environment for wrestling in the world but the way manning acted not just after that match but throughout the day was absolutely ridiculous. I have not observed a coach consistently act like Manning did taunting and inciting the crowd - it was pathetic if you were there and witnessed it. If it was any school other than Nebraska I'd expect some type of apology or discipline for Manning. He's always acted like a fool but that guy has a screw or two loose and its almost to the point that I feel sorry for him. I would not be surprised to see his career end like Woody Hayes but then again Nebraska wouldn't have fired Woody rather they would have built him a statue.

I would love to see the fallout if that was Tom and Gilman that acted that way. Just a bit of advice for Montoya - you get what you earn and I sure hope he gets Clark in the semis in Bloomington as he won't see him in St. Louie as he will go down before Cory.

Agreed. I sit right behind the visiting team, so I've seen a lot of interaction through the years. Manning was the worst I've seen. The head coach generally has the maturity to never interact with the fans. I rarely see it. Manning did frequently. In Gilman's match in the 3rd period when Lambert was riding Gilman, someone in the stands yelled out "what's he doing on top?". Manning turned his head and replied "He's riding the piss out of him". Lol, he was but you don't hear that from a head coach. Manning was constantly whining and did more goading of fans than any coach I've ever seen.

Snyder complained multiple times to the geriatric security team to reign in the fans. I've never seen a coach complain so much about this. Most times, coaches and teams just ignore the fans and deal with it.

Lol, I once saw Eggum jump exuberantly in the face of a fan after a big win and do his best Ric Flair imitation. That fan had been doing a lot of taunting so it was pretty funny. Eggum later came out of intermission early and sat down next to him and gave a sincere apology. They shook hands and basically said "wrestling is awesome isn't it?! We both got so excited, we let our emotions fly". It was a pretty cool interaction.

I have watched the Hawkeyes wrestle in person at least 200 times at duals, midlands, Big 10s and Nationals. I've watched quite a few other college duals in person the Hawks weren't involved in plus numerous televised meets and tournaments. I don't always agree with what I've seen from Iowa wrestlers or coaches but I haven't seen them step over the line like Montoya and Manning.

I kind of understand the emotion for Montoya after what will be the highlight of his career beating an injured Clark at the greatest environment for wrestling in the world but the way manning acted not just after that match but throughout the day was absolutely ridiculous. I have not observed a coach consistently act like Manning did taunting and inciting the crowd - it was pathetic if you were there and witnessed it. If it was any school other than Nebraska I'd expect some type of apology or discipline for Manning. He's always acted like a fool but that guy has a screw or two loose and its almost to the point that I feel sorry for him. I would not be surprised to see his career end like Woody Hayes but then again Nebraska wouldn't have fired Woody rather they would have built him a statue.

I would love to see the fallout if that was Tom and Gilman that acted that way. Just a bit of advice for Montoya - you get what you earn and I sure hope he gets Clark in the semis in Bloomington as he won't see him in St. Louie as he will go down before Cory.

Couldn't agree more... It was unbelievably embarrassing to watch the head coach and leader of a program act that way. It was sad to witness.

Agreed. I sit right behind the visiting team, so I've seen a lot of interaction through the years. Manning was the worst I've seen. The head coach generally has the maturity to never interact with the fans. I rarely see it. Manning did frequently. In Gilman's match in the 3rd period when Lambert was riding Gilman, someone in the stands yelled out "what's he doing on top?". Manning turned his head and replied "He's riding the piss out of him". Lol, he was but you don't hear that from a head coach. Manning was constantly whining and did more goading of fans than any coach I've ever seen.

Snyder complained multiple times to the geriatric security team to reign in the fans. I've never seen a coach complain so much about this. Most times, coaches and teams just ignore the fans and deal with it.

Lol, I once saw Eggum jump exuberantly in the face of a fan after a big win and do his best Ric Flair imitation. That fan had been doing a lot of taunting so it was pretty funny. Eggum later came out of intermission early and sat down next to him and gave a sincere apology. They shook hands and basically said "wrestling is awesome isn't it?! We both got so excited, we let our emotions fly". It was a pretty cool interaction.

That doesnt suprise me in the least and its a shame. Im all for head stands over fan berating.

Yesterday at Carver was the worst display of sportsmanship I have witnessed in person by a coach.
Gosh, I wonder what other teams fans say about Brandsx2 and Gilman.

i think the little guy is wound to tight,he's gonna pop.he was going off when there was nothing to go off about.he looked like a tweeker on the bench. he should sit down and watch this match ,paying attention to his own performance, give an honest evaluation.

At a recent Iowa wrestling event, Coach Brands told a story about when Iowa wrestled at SDSU this year, and several interactions he had with different folks in the crowd that night...... It happens.

i think the little guy is wound to tight,he's gonna pop.he was going off when there was nothing to go off about.he looked like a tweeker on the bench. he should sit down and watch this match ,paying attention to his own performance, give an honest evaluation.
He could feed the world if he donated a quarter every time he punched a chair.

Reactions: wasdt21
Agreed, Manning was a complete embarassment. Watching him at the dual kind of reminded me of a pissed off Canadian from the show South Park.
Glad to see at least one of his kids has way more class than he does.
Great show of respect and class by Berger going to shake hands with Brands after his loss.

This. Going into this dual I kinda thought Berger was a punk. Calling out your opponents and other coaches on twitter, kinda thought it was stupid. Then he comes into Carver and loses, takes the loss like a man and gives the respect to the enemy. Gained a lot of respect for him.

Pretty sure that's sort of what he's trying to say. We've had our issues but this went further.

FWIW, I was there yesterday too and I was pretty taken aback by Manning's immature reactions too.

Gosh...you could checkout themat forums, and see for yourself.

Whole threads devoted to bashing Gilman or Brands for trivial non-incidents. Nothing, of course when Montoya or Manning act up.

Par for the course.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I was there... I saw all of Manning's antics and personally I just laughed my butt off and it did not offend me at all... Truth be told, I'm glad he did what he did.....I think it just lit a fire under the Hawkeye Wrestlers. Anytime an opposing Coach wants to give some motivation, we'll take it...

I am of the thought that Manning is just keeping that particular chair warm until the big red N "bobby douglas" him....

Gilman slamming Waters was still worse.

This. Going into this dual I kinda thought Berger was a punk. Calling out your opponents and other coaches on twitter, kinda thought it was stupid. Then he comes into Carver and loses, takes the loss like a man and gives the respect to the enemy. Gained a lot of respect for him.

I think he knew he went overboard by including an opposing coach in the smack talk on Twitter. Good job...tough wrestler and funny on twitter.

Manning is a total douche and always has been. After he was warned by the official multiple times to quit being a douche bag he toned it down a bit and would sit with his arms crossed and stomp his feet like a baby. It was definatley the most entertaining meet all year and it was even better that they got rolled.

8*, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 2, 5... the horror... i'm ashamed that Brands has devolved this program to be on the same level with *shudder* Virginia *second shudder* Tech.

Remind me, which other program has 8 consecutive podium finishes in the last 10 years?

*Likely Top 2 team finish in 2007 with Metcalf(149) and Slaton(133) in the starting lineup... Thanks Orange Tech.

Reactions: oldhawk56
Well, we know the #1 recruit in the nation was there to witness that behavior in person. I'm sure it was a turn-off for Spencer, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shared his impression with other recruits who are coming up the ranks and looking at Nebraska among other schools. This kind of stuff can come back to haunt a head coach on the recruiting trail.

Some quality video of that display would be priceless. It has to exist in this world of ubiquitous cameras.

Well, we know the #1 recruit in the nation was there to witness that behavior in person. I'm sure it was a turn-off for Spencer, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shared his impression with other recruits who are coming up the ranks and looking at Nebraska among other schools. This kind of stuff can come back to haunt a head coach on the recruiting trail.

Some quality video of that display would be priceless. It has to exist in this world of ubiquitous cameras.
You make a great point WWDM. One recruit comes to mind that has Iowa and Nebby in the top 5... Mr. Sasso. Fancy that, he's from PA with Spencer. Hmm, maybe they'll exchange a few pleasantries at this years state tournament before and after they win their respective titles.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Takes me longer to forgive.

Reactions: 24 so far
Manning has surpassed Ryan as the biggest ass clown in (wrestling) coaching. I can't stand either one but he is far worse than Ryan, who is second worse.

Now, I do not understand your animosity toward former Iowa wrestler, Tom Ryan. However, I can name many other coaches that are clearly worse, and total Iowa haters as well, such as Koll at Cornell. Maning takes the cake however. Total D-bag. I once saw him treat a very polite respectful kid at the 2014 World Team Trials, like a complete ass. Manning was rude and insulting to a kid.

Nebraska has had this issue before. Bo Pelini was beyond ridiculous on the sideline for the Husker football team.

Isn't reneging on an agreement for say National Duals poor sportsmanship? I find it odd that Iowa fans seems so judgemental about "sportsmanship" when you have Brands pulling his annual VTech shenanigans and you have personalities like Ramos and Gilman. BTW, I love Ramos and Gilman - I think they are good for the sport. Just don't jump on your high horse when someone like Montoya or Manning act like your own.

Isn't reneging on an agreement for say National Duals poor sportsmanship? I find it odd that Iowa fans seems so judgemental about "sportsmanship" when you have Brands pulling his annual VTech shenanigans and you have personalities like Ramos and Gilman. BTW, I love Ramos and Gilman - I think they are good for the sport. Just don't jump on your high horse when someone like Montoya or Manning act like your own.
Another Penn State fan joining at 2 am. Welcome to the board. We love your contributions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT