ADVERTISEMENT

You Guys Know Your Seating Capacity Yet?

Will Maryland allow opposing fans into their facilities? Remember they are REQUIRING vaccination by all staff, students, etc for 2021... If they are going to plant that flag then they should forgo their athletic season as well as not everyone is getting the shot and "vaccine passports" are being banned in most states.

Same for California schools that chose the same path...

If a student gets the shot (due to the requirement) and they get sick or die, is the school going to be held accountable?

Why the heck would they need to forego their season? They can choose to play in empty stadiums if they want. They can make and enforce any attendance/fan policies they want.

Does the University of Iowa require fans born after 12/31/56 who are attending games at Kinnick to prove that they have been vaccinated for measles, mumps and rubella?

Do you consider it to be a "tight rope" for the UI to require MMR vaccination of students to enroll and attend the university but not require it of those who may be attending football games?
Link to measles, mumps or rubella infecting 33,000,000 and killing 600,000 Americans in the past year?
TIA

I am guessing we won't know for awhile. Probably wait until pretty close. If everything is going as planned with vaccinations then I am guessing you will see pretty close to full capacity.

I hadn’t thought of it that way. That would be nice. But judging by the Big12’s attitude towards restrictions last year it doesn’t seem likely. I would bet ISU will have a full house of fans starved for football after missing out on attending last year. Similar to the posts above, my guess is the state of Iowa will have no restrictions but after last year I could easily imagine the Big10 imposing some sort of restrictions on fans. I hope not though.
Which would make a win there even sweeter. Full house, people going crazy, ranked in the top ten only to lose to Iowa again.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Link to measles, mumps or rubella infecting 33,000,000 and killing 600,000 Americans in the past year?
TIA

I just hope as a result of this we get far more effective "normal" flu vaccines. I know some won't get vaxed no matter what, but I will take mine to avoid it if possible. The wizards of smart on tv never ask these medical experts and drug companies if this technology will aid in combating our normal flus. Man would I pay for some type of annual cold vaccine to avoid those for the season.

I just hope as a result of this we get far more effective "normal" flu vaccines. I know some won't get vaxed no matter what, but I will take mine to avoid it if possible. The wizards of smart on tv never ask these medical experts and drug companies if this technology will aid in combating our normal flus. Man would I pay for some type of annual cold vaccine to avoid those for the season.
Researchers are already working on mRNA flu vaccines to replace the kinds we now have. I think I read Duke researchers and I can't remember the other groups who are on this. I also read that researches at Johns Hopkins believe the mRNA covid vaccines look like they could provide protection for the common cold based on some early results from studies they are doing.

Does the University of Iowa require fans born after 12/31/56 who are attending games at Kinnick to prove that they have been vaccinated for measles, mumps and rubella?

Do you consider it to be a "tight rope" for the UI to require MMR vaccination of students to enroll and attend the university but not require it of those who may be attending football games?
Seems to me that would be unfair. They would have to everybody . You would get in the game by halftime

Researchers are already working on mRNA flu vaccines to replace the kinds we now have. I think I read Duke researchers and I can't remember the other groups who are on this. I also read that researches at Johns Hopkins believe the mRNA covid vaccines look like they could provide protection for the common cold based on some early results from studies they are doing.

Sign me up.

LSU is allowing 100% capacity; no masks, too.

I just moved to Florida two weeks ago, and coming from Iowa where everyone in Walmart or other stores is wearing a mask, I notice only about half the Walmart patrons wearing masks, and in some places no one is wearing masks.

And how bout the Flu vaccination? Or Shingles? I keep hearing from certain circles on TV that life can go back to normal once the Covid virus is gone. The flu virus has been around for what, about a hundred years, and it hasn't been defeated. So, I have high doubts that Covid will be eliminated. People, when you compare the Flu to Covid don't take into account that the Flu when it came out killed many many more then Covid.

Reactions: pmtdc
Even New York City will be running things at full capacity by September- I’d say iowa games should be full capacity barring a big setback or surprise.

Didn't DeSantis just put the kibosh on the continued mandates down there?
I believe so. I went to ACE hardware yesterday, put my mask on and went inside. There must have been about 20 people plus staff, not one was wearing a mask, so, being in Rome, I did what the Romans do, I removed my mask. LOL Hell, I only wear one when required anyway, so I guess I fit right in here in Florida. ;)

Why the heck would they need to forego their season? They can choose to play in empty stadiums if they want. They can make and enforce any attendance/fan policies they want.
If they are forcing a vaccine that is not licensed by the FDA, could be in for some issues from fans\players.

TIA
So by your statistics just under 2% of the people that catch it will die. MOST of them are as old or older than the average life expectancy. Also since 33,000,000 people have antibodies, add to that the number of people who by their own free will have chosen to get vaccinated I would say the odds of catching it and dying from a full outdoor football stadium go down dramatically. Especially when you consider the average age of those going to football games. We are not going to eradicate this, we have been brainwashed to not tolerate any risk at all from this. If you are under 60 and healthy you’re more likely to die in a car accident driving to the game. If that scares people let them choose to stay home. Forcing a vaccine is crazy to me.

In liberal Minnesota, starting today, capacity caps are eliminated for outdoor entertainment venues such as Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins (capacity: 40,000).

From yesterday's Minneapolis Star Tribune

An indoor mask-wearing mandate will end no later than July 1 and COVID-19 restrictions on business and social gatherings will end May 28 under a plan that Gov. Tim Walz hailed Thursday as a path to a "great summer" for Minnesota.

The rollback of COVID-19 restrictions will start at noon Friday with an elimination of capacity caps for outdoor entertainment venues such as Target Field, an expansion of caps for indoor venues, and an end to early bar and restaurant closing times. All caps will be eliminated May 28 ahead of Memorial Day weekend.

The mandate requiring masks in indoor public spaces could be lifted before July 1 if the state can increase the rate of Minnesotans who have received COVID-19 vaccine from 59% to 70%

The Full Story:

Last edited:
So by your statistics just under 2% of the people that catch it will die. MOST of them are as old or older than the average life expectancy. Also since 33,000,000 people have antibodies, add to that the number of people who by their own free will have chosen to get vaccinated I would say the odds of catching it and dying from a full outdoor football stadium go down dramatically. Especially when you consider the average age of those going to football games. We are not going to eradicate this, we have been brainwashed to not tolerate any risk at all from this. If you are under 60 and healthy you’re more likely to die in a car accident driving to the game. If that scares people let them choose to stay home. Forcing a vaccine is crazy to me.
I don't think that requiring a vaccine is a good idea, either. AuroraHawk tried to make an asinine analogy, suggesting that COVID is the equivalent public health threat today that measles, mumps and rubella are, and I called him out on it. Peace.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Dude ... my best friend works as a respiratory therapist. He doesn't get to see "good" covid cases. The negative impacts of covid don't just hit "old" people ... when covid takes hold in your lungs, it's shocking the damage it does to your tissues. Furthermore, we still don't have an iota of a clue about the long-term damage it may be doing to the health of folks who either got "minor cases" or who were asymptomatic. One of my best students from last semester, has been suffering from covid-induced mind-fog ... we're talking about 20-something year old person here.

The antibodies folks have developed from prior infection may be strain-dependent ... thereby explaining why Brazil got so terribly ravaged the 2nd time around be newer covid strains [many cases of re-infection].

Reactions: haightt

I don't think that requiring a vaccine is a good idea, either. AuroraHawk tried to make an asinine analogy, suggesting that COVID is the equivalent public health threat today that measles, mumps and rubella are, and I called him out on it. Peace.

Well the issue is two-fold ... isn't it?

First off ... there is the issue that in the USA, for the most part, measles, mumps, and rubella has been eliminated. Thus, were there to be big outbreak among anti-vaccine folks in the state of Iowa ... it may actually be prudent (to check for vaccination).

Second off ... there is the issue of the PERCEPTION of public safety. Since we're still in the midst of a global pandemic [for folks believing it is in the downturn, please pay attention to the rest of the world!] ... the state of mind of the populace still enters the equation. If people KNOW that folks are getting screened ... then that provides empowers people with information. They'll know that the chances for cross-sectional exposure ... even at a crowed sporting event ... may not be as high (as it otherwise MIGHT be).

For those aware of the Clery act ... that act is all about transparency of information so that folks can make informed decision. The "selective" pressure provided by the information-gathering also further helps to maintain a safer environment for those who frequent university campuses.

Reactions: haightt
As I understand it ... at least for "conventional" vaccines ... there has always been the problem of "original antigenic sin" ... wherein the body is influenced by prior infection [to a different strain]. It's not until your body loses memory of the prior strain that it can gain immunity to a newer strain.

Do the immune responses to the mRNA vaccines not share the same failing? Or, rather, are the mRNA vaccines targeting portions of proteins that aren't as hyper-variable (and hence, less strain dependent)?

Dude ... my best friend works as a respiratory therapist. He doesn't get to see "good" covid cases. The negative impacts of covid don't just hit "old" people ... when covid takes hold in your lungs, it's shocking the damage it does to your tissues. Furthermore, we still don't have an iota of a clue about the long-term damage it may be doing to the health of folks who either got "minor cases" or who were asymptomatic. One of my best students from last semester, has been suffering from covid-induced mind-fog ... we're talking about 20-something year old person here.

The antibodies folks have developed from prior infection may be strain-dependent ... thereby explaining why Brazil got so terribly ravaged the 2nd time around be newer covid strains [many cases of re-infection].
Statically it does affect older people worse than younger individuals. Show me the data it doesn’t. I’m not saying it can’t affect younger people. I’m acknowledging there is risk in anything we do.

TIA
Frankly, a link to 600,000 ACTUAL deaths FROM COVID-19 would also be helpful. Given that a newborn with his intestines outside his body was attributed--which infuriated the parents, given what he went through in his short life--and the apparent cure of cancer and heart disease, people are right to be "skeptical".

It may not be a hoax, but it doesn't mean we are hearing the whole truth, or that the whole thing hasn't been uber-politicized.

Anyone remember all the masks after the measles shots? Yeah, me neither.

Reactions: KYHWKY
TIA

I'm not sure why I get the pissy response post from you.

The post to which I referred commented about walking a "tight line" if the UI is going to require students to be COVID vaccinated to attend school but may not require attendees at a football game to be vaccinated.

The UI requires MMR vaccinations of its students; it does not require it of those attending games (at least I've never had to produce proof of vaccination).

I wasn't commenting on whether people should get vaccinated (from a personal perspective, I got my first and second shots as quickly as they were available) or whether people shouldn't get vaccinated.

I was merely posting about the insinuation that the UI could be viewed hypocritically if it allows fans in Kinnick this Fall without mandating a vaccination. Since the UI doesn't mandate MMR vaccinations of fans but does so of students, it wouldn't exactly be unprecedented that fans attending a football game are treated differently than students.

Whether it is good policy to require vaccinations and whether it would be legal to require vaccinations are completely different questions.

Reading is a skill.

No such analogy was offered.

As noted before, the post to which I was referring insinuated that the UI could be viewed as being hypocrites if they require students to be vaccinated before registering for classes but don't impose the same requirements of fans.

Students must have MMR vaccines to register for classes. Fans at Kinnick don't need to provide proof of vaccine.

That's the comparison. Short, sweet and to the point. There is precedent for treating students and fans differently.

Go ahead and debate policy, legality, etc. But to somehow interpret my post as claiming that COVID is the equivalent public health threat today as MMR demonstrates a general lack of reading and comprehension skills.

But to somehow interpret my post as claiming that COVID is the equivalent public health threat today as MMR demonstrates a general lack of reading and comprehension skills.
No it doesn't, but thanks for your concern. If it makes you feel better, I'll contact the ACT and let them know my 34 in the Reading section has been questioned by a message board dude.

I actually think we agree for the most part, I just thought it was silly for you to use an example comparing how the University handles diseases that have not been a widespread problem in most of our lifetimes with an unprecedented pandemic. So, while there is a history of treating fans and students differently, there is really no baseline to use for comparison, as you were suggesting.

No it doesn't, but thanks for your concern. If it makes you feel better, I'll contact the ACT and let them know my 34 in the Reading section has been questioned by a message board dude.

I actually think we agree for the most part, I just thought it was silly for you to use an example comparing how the University handles diseases that have not been a widespread problem in most of our lifetimes with an unprecedented pandemic. So, while there is a history of treating fans and students differently, there is really no baseline to use for comparison, as you were suggesting.

The original poster identified that he "didn't see how" the university could require vaccinations for students but allow unvaccinated fans to attend games at Kinnick. My response simply pointed out that the university has been doing that for years with MMR. Treating fans and students differently wouldn't be a novel concept. Yet, the university has been doing EXACTLY THAT for MMR. Students must have MMR vaccination; fans don't.

Maybe it's good policy to require students to be vaccinated for COVID, just like MMR. Maybe it isn't good policy because of lingering uncertainties. Maybe it's good policy to require fans to show proof of COVID vaccination. Maybe it's overkill. Those are different debate. I know what I'd prefer but (a) I'm not on the decision-making team and (b) the practicalities would likely be overwhelming.

What's not up for debate is that the UI already treats students' vaccine status and fans' vaccine status differently. Further, to my knowledge no student has claimed that he/she isn't getting the MMR vaccine because Morris from Monticello or Pamela from Pocahontas isn't required to have the MMR vaccine to attend a game at Kinnick, CHA or Banks Field. I'm not aware of anyone "balking" about students being held to a higher MMR "vaccination" standard than football fans. You cannot simply conclude that, because fans visiting Kinnick are not required to be vaccinated, then students also cannot be required to be vaccinated. That logic doesn't fly . . . . especially when you take note of the current situations involving COVID vis-a-vis MMR.

BTW, congrats on your ACT Reading section score. I seem to recall doing pretty well on the ACT and the LSAT but didn't commit scores in certain sections to memory. Frankly, there's never been a single instance in my life where I've felt compelled to cite my scoring in an individual section of either test.

Reactions: littlez

Moreover, despite the fact the mumps, measles and rubella have not been a widespread problem in our lifetime, UI still requires students to be vaccinated. A person could be denied admission to the UI as a student due to his/her MMR vaccination status but still attend events at Kinnick, CHA, Hancher, etc.

There are far more compelling interests in ensuring the the student population is vaccinated against COVID and, whether the UI requires COVID vaccine of its "fan" population shouldn't dictate how it treats its student population.

I'd bet there is an 80% chance its 100% capacity. 20% chance its 50% or some hybrid of that.

Statically it does affect older people worse than younger individuals. Show me the data it doesn’t. I’m not saying it can’t affect younger people. I’m acknowledging there is risk in anything we do.

Yep, old immune systems are not as good at handling many things. Have had a number of doctors state this to me over the years.

Frankly, a link to 600,000 ACTUAL deaths FROM COVID-19 would also be helpful. Given that a newborn with his intestines outside his body was attributed--which infuriated the parents, given what he went through in his short life--and the apparent cure of cancer and heart disease, people are right to be "skeptical".

It may not be a hoax, but it doesn't mean we are hearing the whole truth, or that the whole thing hasn't been uber-politicized.

Anyone remember all the masks after the measles shots? Yeah, me neither.
You do realize that there is A TON of available data through your local department of health as it relates to COVID? There are plenty of federal sources too (I can search them down if you'd like) ... but my "lazy-factor" might be comparable to your own [which means I'll get to it in my own sweet damn time]. Anyhow, if you extrapolate local numbers (which are likely ones you might be more likely to trust) to the nation ... you'll quickly see that the quoted number of 600,000 is sadly reasonable.

In fact, most indicators suggest that reported numbers are underestimates.

What's more ... this doesn't account for the fact that when there are spikes in infections and the hospitals get overwhelmed ... a ton of people die simply because the hospital resources are being spent toward the covid patients. Get a heart-attack when your hospital is already full .... you dead! (again, a sad equation there)

I believe so. I went to ACE hardware yesterday, put my mask on and went inside. There must have been about 20 people plus staff, not one was wearing a mask, so, being in Rome, I did what the Romans do, I removed my mask. LOL Hell, I only wear one when required anyway, so I guess I fit right in here in Florida. ;)

You are either north of the I-4 corridor or east of I-75. Everyone from Publix to Lowe’s to my kid’s school require a mask here in SoFla.

Pretty much full steam ahead unless things go bonkers again. About a third of the population has been vaccinated. Should be over 75% if not higher by fall, but there are a lot of $hitheads out there who still think it's a hoax. Hopefully they are clone fans☺
Don't forget there are elections in 2022 - pretty sure the Russian variant will be spreading like wildfire right about that time. 😉

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I'd bet there is an 80% chance its 100% capacity. 20% chance its 50% or some hybrid of that.

As I stated previously, liberal Minnesota now has no limits to outside venues. And there is no proof of vaccination required. So, for example, RIGHT NOW the Minnesota Twins could sell all 40,000 tickets for games if they desired.

I think we will be seeing unlimited capacity and no proof of vaccination required not only at TCT Bank Stadium in Minneapolis but at Kinnick and all other football stadiums across the country

475You are either north of the I-4 corridor or east of I-75. Everyone from Publix to Lowe’s to my kid’s school require a mask here in SoFla.
DeLand, so I am north and east of I-4 and I-75. Ace is the only place I have been in that nobody was wearing a mask. Walmart, I'd say about 60-70% are wearing them in this area. I know all the business doors say masks are required, but a good percentage of people are not wearing them. I've only been here a month, as we just moved from Iowa, but I had lived in this and the Jacksonville area about 30 years ago.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
Things are trending in the right direction

And as I mentioned before, in liberal Minnesota the MN Twins could sell all 40,000 tickets if they wanted to.

Check this out:

You do realize that there is A TON of available data through your local department of health as it relates to COVID? There are plenty of federal sources too (I can search them down if you'd like) ... but my "lazy-factor" might be comparable to your own [which means I'll get to it in my own sweet damn time]. Anyhow, if you extrapolate local numbers (which are likely ones you might be more likely to trust) to the nation ... you'll quickly see that the quoted number of 600,000 is sadly reasonable.

In fact, most indicators suggest that reported numbers are underestimates.

What's more ... this doesn't account for the fact that when there are spikes in infections and the hospitals get overwhelmed ... a ton of people die simply because the hospital resources are being spent toward the covid patients. Get a heart-attack when your hospital is already full .... you dead! (again, a sad equation there)
Ah, the old, "Hospitals are full!" stuff. Except...at least where I live (Orlando area)...it never happened. In fact, it never happened in Florida.

"Sadly reasonable". Wow, nice turn of phrase. Especially when we were told--shortly after the POTUS at the time was called a xenophobe and racist for imposing various travel bans, while "opponents" were partying in Chinatown--that there would be 2 million deaths. Again, it never happened.

COVID-19 wasn't a hoax. The POLITICIZATION of it, however, has been a hoax on the grandest scale.

Reactions: HawkDub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT