ADVERTISEMENT

You want an open QB competition this spring? You got it!

i just hope at least one of the two guys with experience sticks around. even assuming labas actually wins the job, we’ll likely need at least one of them at some point

Interesting that KF specifically mentioned he was excited to see what Labas can do in the Spring.
He initially was going to say something along the lines of "I sure as hell hope to high heaven that we don't end up having to rely on Labas" but was advised to fine tune his comments before talking with members of the press.

Last edited:
I would have thought Kirk would have already gotten a chance to see what Labas brings to the table.
I think the only time he has run the offense is during bowl prep? He was a scout team QB before that.

To be fair to Kirk, having to run Iowa’s offense could make him look pretty damn $hitty.

I believe Labas will get a very good look in the spring. He just might be able to establish himself as the starter going into the fall.
If he gets a fair chance to earn the job, that would be a major upset in itself. For KF to hand him the keys on opening day in the fall would be something akin to Lazarus rising from the dead. And we haven't seen miracles like that in Iowa City for a couple of decades.

SPOILER ALERT!

Most likely scenario after spring practice: KF -- "All three performed well. Nobody really stood out. Labas made the most progress, but he had the longest way to go. We'll keep it open and see what happens in fall camp."

Most likely scenario after fall camp: KF -- "It's been a close competition going back to the spring. Labas continues to do some good things and make progress. He could be a good one. Padilla has shown some improvement in several areas, but Spencer Petras has been steady. He's not making mistakes. He has a total grasp of what we want to do, and with his experience, I just think he's set up for a great season, so that's why he'll be starting on Saturday."

But we’re told it takes 12-18 months to learn this offense. Does that count actual time under center or just on campus?

Reactions: 24 so far
I can't believe that Labas will be ready to run this ultra-complicated offense by this fall. The handoff for the stretch play to the short side of the field and throwing the ball into the receiver's feet usually takes 2-3 years of intense training, minimum.

It is nothing short of amazing how many games Iowa has won under Kirk Ferentz with the complete and utter incompetence that you guys suggest he has on the offensive end….He is truly one of the great Overcomer‘s in the coaching industry

Iowa fans: "we need open qb competition!!!@!@!"

KF: "Okay, there will be one"

Iowa fans: "yeah right"

Sounds like a lot of you just want to complain.
Has Kirk ever started a different QB from the one that ended the previous season as starter if that same QB was still on the roster? If so, I can't recall.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
This statement is an enormous signal for those familiar with KF's history of public statements.

Just think back to last year this time. Well, he wasn't bothering to discuss QB issues this time last year. KF's spring comments were Petras clear 1, Padilla a pretty clear 2 and Deuce was catching on. That's always KF's statements.

This statement has none of the elements of the typical KF coach speak. He does not identify a leader, although has a senior with much starting experience, a junior with some starting experience and a RS freshman-who KF does mention-for the second time. That only happens when KF really sees the room as open and he's about to make a change. We haven't heard anything like this since CJs soph season as he was starting to pass Rudock.

All of this must be viewed against an enormous advantage that Joey Throws has over other recruits. He's been regularly tutored by Ricky Stanzi during Joey's last two years of HS. Not just throwing but the whole position. I'd bet KOK sent current film and, of course Joey will have the same position coach Ricky had at Iowa. Don't you suppose that Joey knew a lot about Iowa's specific offense when he arrived on campus? Hence a much sharper learning curve. The upperclassmen are significantly deficient in more than one fundamental skill. It is possible we actually have a potential star if Joey has the athletic advantages that have been discussed elsewhere.

KF's statement certainly signaled we are seeing much more of Joey Throws sooner rather than later.​

Last edited:
It is nothing short of amazing how many games Iowa has won under Kirk Ferentz with the complete and utter incompetence that you guys suggest he has on the offensive end….He is truly one of the great Overcomer‘s in the coaching industry
Didn’t realize that a rib at Iowa’s recent QB play was a referendum on KF’s entire coaching career. You sound a little butt-hurt.

BTW - even great FB coaches tend to have weaknesses. Pretty tough to argue that QB play and clock management haven’t been KF’s bugaboo for much of his career.

Hope your right, but weren't people saying the same thing about Deuce right around this time... :(
I don't think that people were saying similar things. Most importantly, Kirk Ferentz wasn't talking about Deuce in the same way at the same point in their careers. Joey is just a RS freshman. You don't often hear that out of KF, almost never.

Has Kirk ever started a different QB from the one that ended the previous season as starter if that same QB was still on the roster? If so, I can't recall.

I seem to recall Beathard being named starter over Rudock when Rudock was still on the roster. This was the reason why Rudock transferred. I realize this does not quite meet the limited scenario you laid out, but Kirk had not declared a new starting quarterback at the end of the season in this manner previously.

Iowa fans: "we need open qb competition!!!@!@!"

KF: "Okay, there will be one"

Iowa fans: "yeah right"

Sounds like a lot of you just want to complain.

We have one thread with someone reading between the lines negatively into comments Kirk made about the offense and others saying they do not believe Kirk when he says there will be an open QB competition. It does not seem to matter whether Kirk says anything or not to some on this board. They are going to believe what they want to believe.

Reactions: jo12208

What did you think of that amazing victory over mighty Northwestern this year?

Northwestern’s worst team in 20
years I might add.

I seem to recall Beathard being named starter over Rudock when Rudock was still on the roster. This was the reason why Rudock transferred. I realize this does not quite meet the limited scenario you laid out, but Kirk had not declared a new starting quarterback at the end of the season in this manner previously.
I really don't recall and that's why I asked. In the case you mentioned he did in fact say Beathard was going to be the starter so in context that's kind of the opposite of an open QB competition.

I really don't recall and that's why I asked. In the case you mentioned he did in fact say Beathard was going to be the starter so in context that's kind of the opposite of an open QB competition.

I do agree that it was not a competition, but Kirk did name a new starting QB when the old was still in the roster, which answered your question.

What did you think of that amazing victory over mighty Northwestern this year?

Northwestern’s worst team in 20
years I might add.

Oh I thought of it about the same way I did for any Iowa win or loss under Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz. See you and your ilk are single-minded reactionaries. You think there’s something unique about yourselves and Iowa football. When in reality it’s not unique in the least. Those of us that have taken the time to educate ourselves and be well rounded & grounded, can see the totality of sports & the whole goal is the win more than you lose.

Iowa has done that quite a bit over the last several years & they continue to get better and better…

I’ve seen a lot of crazy outcomes in sporting events in my 51 years, so I don’t ever take the wins for granted but you guys do…

but nobody ever said you guys were very bright and that gets portrayed on these message boards over and over and over!

Kirk has no intention of any QB competition. These comments are made to shut the fans up.
Yeah, pretty obvious.

Fans upset about QB play and an internet star recruit being chased off after an unflattering public comment he made….next thing you know, KF goes out of his way to announce an open QB competition, even throwing in a compliment of the next internet star recruit…

Is that why they lost to Michigan by 40?

I make fun of your inane comments because you didn’t answer my question at all. Just deflection and drivel meant to placate the simpletons.
He’s 51, so, he understands football better than you do. Oh and losing to Harbaugh by 40…. Don’t you worry about that - We beat Ohio State 4 seasons ago.

Dummy.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT