ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

So he's 50% of the way to his goal. Got his weight down, now what about his wrestling abilities? He's missed a lot of mat time. Hope he shakes the rust off.

Does he even have to wrestle if he makes 133? Opponents likely to forfeit.

Reactions: Azchief32
If this thread is going to make it to 13 pages, we'll something to talk about other than his weight.

How about that match he won against Grajales in the dual against Michigan his sophomore year? I had some newer/ non-rabid wrestling fans with me that night. It was probably the highlight of the dual for them to watch.

If this thread is going to make it to 13 pages, we'll something to talk about other than his weight.

How about that match he won against Grajales in the dual against Michigan his sophomore year? I had some newer/ non-rabid wrestling fans with me that night. It was probably the highlight of the dual for them to watch.
An amazing match. If you look up "gasser" in the dictionary, Grajales' picture would be right there. Don't think I've ever seen a kid so talented with such s non-existent gas tank. Did him and Alton ever wrestle? Probably would probably either be a double DQ or a quick pin for someone, today.

Reactions: Gutt15
An amazing match. If you look up "gasser" in the dictionary, Grajales' picture would be right there. Don't think I've ever seen a kid so talented with such s non-existent gas tank. Did him and Alton ever wrestle? Probably would probably either be a double DQ or a quick pin for someone, today.

Oddly entertaining match. Sorry for the poor quality

At the one minute mark in the 3rd, Alton almost pulls out victory from the jaws of defeat, when he throws EG to his back, but the refereeing is head-scratching. AA only gets 2 points for the takedown, but even though EG appears to be on his back for a 5 count, AA gets NO back points b/c the ref has belatedly called potentially dangerous. I could never tell what was so dangerous about what looked like a standard half nelson. Never made sense to me. Cael seems to accept the call, so perhaps it was justified. In the meantime, the ref appears to have denied EG repeated takedowns. Time after time in the 3d, EG lets AA up from the bottom, but AA just rests on his hands and knees and refuses to engage. EG keeps establishing control but doesn't get any takedown points. (Compare Schwab against Guerrero for a different approach.) In the end, the wrestler in better shape won, which is saying something b/c EG was never known for a gas tank, as Brody demonstrated a couple of weeks later.

This can go 13 pages. One thing I haven't seen, was it in the other 13 pages(?), is what are projecting him to place? 141 is not an easy weight, the top four could all win. McKenna in particular may be underrated.

This can go 13 pages. One thing I haven't seen, was it in the other 13 pages(?), is what are projecting him to place? 141 is not an easy weight, the top four could all win. McKenna in particular may be underrated.
I think I read a month or so ago that Jimmy G. from Pennsylvania State University was the guy to beat this season, so the real question should be "who does he beat in the NCAA finals match". Does Brody have a chance to meet Jimmy G from Pennsylvania State University in the finals?

I think I read a month or so ago that Jimmy G. from Pennsylvania State University was the guy to beat this season, so the real question should be "who does he beat in the NCAA finals match". Does Brody have a chance to meet Jimmy G from Pennsylvania State University in the finals?
We can certainly hope that: a) Grothus makes the NCAA finals; b) he meets someone of the same caliber as Gulibon, i.e. good but beatable; and c) it's not actually Gulibon, as that would mean that PSU got ~20 points out of Gulibon, and my math for an Iowa title dictates they on get 3 out of him.

He was the 2nd best recruit in a class that was ranked #20 by D1CW

20)Iowa

Top Recruits: (174) #55 Kris Klapprodt-Rapid City, SD; (149) #108 Brody Grothus-Davenport, IA; (165/174) #136 Patrick Rhodes-Staley, MO

Transfer: (197) Cayle Byers-Chugiak, AK (George Mason)

The Hawkeyes recruiting class is light compared to the past few seasons, but at the same time they have very few needs. One glaring need was filled though with the transfer of Cayle Byers from George Mason. Byers was a Round of 12 finisher in 2008-09 and owns a victory in the 2010-11 season over eventual NCAA Champion Dustin Kilgore. Iowa’s top high school recruit is Kris Klapprodt, a 3x South Dakota State Champ and Sr. National Champion. Klapprodt and Sr. National All-American Patrick Rhodes are very good prospects, but their impact is hard to project because of all the young talent around their collegiate weight classes. Brody Grothus could be a diamond in the rough, he is a multi-sport athlete who until now has yet to focus solely on wrestling.

Past D1CW Recruiting Rankings: 2010 #1, 2009 #5, 2008 #6

I tried to find the recruiting article that mentions Brody's potential but did not find it. I do recall Brody wrestling at 149 lb as a frosh / soph and thinking he was skinny and then the next year, he went all "He-Man Master of the Universe" and really bulked up.

So, the other angle would to mention that Brewer was not pinned...

What seed does Brody get at Midlands and why?
I'd say he will be unseeded and due to a lack of results at this weight, however he did finish 6th last year. So, I will seed him 6th again this year.

Here area last year's results.

Brody Grothus 149, Junior – Davenport, Iowa (Assumption HS) Wt. Opponent (School) Result Overall/Dual Record 149

Luther Open ‐‐ 1st place
Blake Rogers (William Penn) W‐Pin 0:23 (1) 1‐0/0‐0
Josh Donkle (Coe College) W‐Pin 4:41 (2) 2‐0/0‐0
Kenneth Martin (Wartburg) W‐D 11‐8 3‐0/0‐0
Brandon Sorensen (Iowa) W‐D 3‐2 4‐0/0‐0
Edwin Cooper (Iowa) W‐D 9‐6 5‐0/0‐0 149

Joe Parisi Open ‐‐ 3rd place
Peter Tatanish (Liberty University) W‐Pin 2:56 (3) 6‐0/0‐0
Colt Rogers (Bethany) W‐Pin 2:16 (4) 7‐0/0‐0
Dillon Scanlon (Benedictine College) W‐Pin 0:45 (5) 8‐0/0‐0
Terrel Wilbourn (Lindenwood (Mo.)) L‐OT 3‐1 8‐1/0‐0
Gunner Wolfensperger (Northern Iowa) W‐MD 8‐0 9‐1/0‐0
Edwin Cooper (Iowa) W‐Pin 0:53 (6) 10‐1/0‐0

Kaelen Richard (Michigan State) W‐TF 16‐1 11‐1/1‐0

Midlands Championships – 6th place
Cole Weaver (Indiana) W‐TF 15‐0 12‐1/1‐0
Jake Williams (Cumberland) W‐MD 12‐4 13‐1/1‐0
C.J. Cobb (Penn) W‐D 5‐2 14‐1/1‐0
#1 Jason Tsirtsis (Northwestern) L‐D 3‐2 SV2 14‐2/1‐0

Are we gonna get to 14 pages or what? Looking for some help here.
Well I didn't wanna mention it but someone did say he weighed in "under 141". If he makes it down to 133 (I mean what's 8 more pounds?) then that weight could be ranked
1 Garrett
2 Brock
3 Brewer
4 Grothus
5 Clark

This has to be an unprecedented slide in the rankings by an undefeated returning national finalist. Let's hope Brewer doesn't lose too many more or Turk doesn't decide to make the cut, otherwise we could see Clark outside of the AA picture.

Well I didn't wanna mention it but someone did say he weighed in "under 141". If he makes it down to 133 (I mean what's 8 more pounds?) then that weight could be ranked
1 Garrett
2 Brock
3 Brewer
4 Grothus
5 Clark

This has to be an unprecedented slide in the rankings by an undefeated returning national finalist. Let's hope Brewer doesn't lose too many more or Turk doesn't decide to make the cut, otherwise we could see Clark outside of the AA picture.
The way I see it, if Brewer keeps on losing, Clark might not get invited to Nationals. If Brewer loses again, I would put another wrestler in for Clark so you have somebody at Nationals this season (Clark can take his Brewshirt this season).

Reactions: JBJRFL
If Clark doesn't want to, I'll volunteer for the Brewshirt
I've been taking my Brewshirt for the last 20 years. I have a few sponsors
beer222-1.jpg
I'm still eligible, but I'll have to move up a few weights!

Just for the hell of it..................

Co-worker #1 runs up to co-worker #2 right before they're leaving for the day............... "Hey, you gotta come out with me for a beer or two after work tonight to celebrate!".

Co-worker #2 - "Can't man, wife has supper ready, gotta haul kids around, lots of stuff to do".

Co-worker #1 - "C'mon man, this is HUGE!"

Co-worker #2 - "Well............... what's the occasion"?

Co-worker #1 - "Today my best friend and my ex-wife got married! That calls for a celebration!".

Co-worker #2 - "Really? Uuummm, what's your best friends name"?

Co-worker #1 - "Well, I don't know his name, but he married my ex-wife and took her off the payroll, so now he's my best friend!" (rimshot noise...)

Something kind of interesting about Grothus and the 141 weight class.

Grothus is 23 years old. Just about every other contender is significantly younger.

Heil-20
Jack-19, turning 20 shortly.
Ashnault-20
Jordan- 19
McKenna- 19

Means nothing, I thought it was interesting though. Very young weight class at the top. Interesting in the era of the "holdback" to have guys who are the right age or even young (Heil). At the Ironman's 106 weight class there was 6 (SIX), 16 year old Freshmen that were seeded.

Mecate is 22 and Gulibon is 22.

Last edited:
Are we gonna get to 14 pages or what? Looking for some help here.

Did I ever tell you guys the story of how I silenced a whole wedding rehearsal dinner in Tulsa by offering a toast to the groom and his long time ex-girlfriend - instead of the bride. Yeah, those were the marvelous days before I quit drinking. [I got a lot of these stories, so I can help anytime to take this Brody Grothus thread to Glory Land]

BTW I hear Brody might just go out and just lay on the mat sort of like Robles and just skip the on the feet nonsense. Anybody else hear this? I think it's a good idea.

Also a friend of mine's wife know a guy that that attends every wrestling practice. The word is that Brody looks real good. So that kinda makes me think he could win a match or two a the Midlands before he medically defaults his way out the back door.

Oh, and one more thing I heard Brody is taking a 100% legal vitamin, mineral, protein, shark fin, nutritional supplement called "Beyond Osteo-fx." The supplement is actually for seniors but it's still probably going to help him cut weight and win a few at the Midlands.

When I hear anymore, I'll let you know. I'm always happy to help out on the Brody threads.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
Just for the hell of it..................

Co-worker #1 runs up to co-worker #2 right before they're leaving for the day............... "Hey, you gotta come out with me for a beer or two after work tonight to celebrate!".

Co-worker #2 - "Can't man, wife has supper ready, gotta haul kids around, lots of stuff to do".

Co-worker #1 - "C'mon man, this is HUGE!"

Co-worker #2 - "Well............... what's the occasion"?

Co-worker #1 - "Today my best friend and my ex-wife got married! That calls for a celebration!".

Co-worker #2 - "Really? Uuummm, what's your best friends name"?

Co-worker #1 - "Well, I don't know his name, but he married my ex-wife and took her off the payroll, so now he's my best friend!" (rimshot noise...)

Reminds me of the Country & Western song: "My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Miss Him"

Reactions: sloehawk
What are you saying?

Nothing really. I said that it doesn't really mean anything at all. I just thought it was interesting. Normally, having a couple years on the competition is a good thing (until about age 28), provided injuries and wear and tear hasn't mounted up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT