ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Moody

Div. 3 state champ from Wisconsin at 160. Looks a little slow from his freestyle videos. Nice hair, tho.

He might be a state champ in freestyle or Greco but not in folkstyle. He didn't make state until his sr year placing 3rd. If Iowa gave him money I am disappointed.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Maybe he's the next Daniel Dennis. I have a ton of respect for anyone willing to step into that room and compete. Welcome aboard Mr Moody!

Originally posted by hawkfan31:
He might be a state champ in freestyle or Greco but not in folkstyle. He didn't make state until his sr year placing 3rd. If Iowa gave him money I am disappointed.
I doubt he received much money especially this late in the game but if Tom Brands thinks the kid deserves a scholarship (no matter how big or small) I am going to agree with him.

Originally posted by HAWKMANN:

I doubt he received much money especially this late in the game but if Tom Brands thinks the kid deserves a scholarship (no matter how big or small) I am going to agree with him.
Didn't start wrestling until his Freshman year of high school. I'd imagibe that they are bringing him in based purely on potential.

He was at a Saturday morning practice last October before Iowa football game went off.

Originally posted by LMPanther05:

Didn't start wrestling until his Freshman year of high school. I'd imagibe that they are bringing him in based purely on potential.
Interesting and good to know. I just watched a few of his videos and he looked out of position often, so that would explain it.

Welcome aboard young man. Chalk me up as not giving a crap how much scholly money they give him as I'd think the guys that do this for a living got it figured out. I've never understood comments on new commits and having a tone of "better not have given him much". Personally, I think it's pretty cool Iowa grabbed a kid from Wisconsin who has seemed to pick up the sport quickly.

Originally posted by Cal98:

Interesting and good to know. I just watched a few of his videos and he looked out of position often, so that would explain it.

Welcome aboard young man. Chalk me up as not giving a crap how much scholly money they give him as I'd think the guys that do this for a living got it figured out. I've never understood comments on new commits and having a tone of "better not have given him much". Personally, I think it's pretty cool Iowa grabbed a kid from Wisconsin who has seemed to pick up the sport quickly.
I watched some of his matches and I like him. He looks like a Bad News Bears kinda kid - a lot of fight, very little technique. He doesn't even know how to shake hands before a match. But you can tell if he works hard and learns the sport he's gonna be very good. I like this pickup.

You would understand if you have personally watched him wrestle. I have and he will be eaten up in the Iowa room. I do give him credit for trying but Iowa seems to be given these guys that are merely place winners a spot in the room. I also look at Aaron Meyer and Keegan Shaw they weren't dominant in high school or placed high in any national tournaments but they will be pushing Michael kemerer the next few years? I don't think so

You would understand if you have personally watched him wrestle. I have and he will be eaten up in the Iowa room. I do give him credit for trying but Iowa seems to be given these guys that are merely place winners a spot in the room. I also look at Aaron Meyer and Keegan Shaw they weren't dominant in high school or placed high in any national tournaments but they will be pushing Michael kemerer the next few years? I don't think so
You do realize that not every wrestler can be a starter right? The #1 guy will need someone to work out with. If you only recruit Top 50 recruits you aren't going to sign very many kids and you will have an empty room. I can also think of quite a few who have been billed as 'only room guys' who have wrestled under the big lights in Carver Hawkeye Arena.

Also, I have no doubt that the Iowa room will eat him up when he first steps on campus. The first few months in the Iowa room for top recruits consists of pretty much nothing but ass-whoopings. I would also bet that the Iowa room will spit him back out a hell of a lot tougher than he came. And if he can't handle it, so be it but at least he will know he tested his mettle against some of the best in the world and at least he knows where he stands.

geez...you're a tool

I find it amazing when guys bash kids who obviously are coming into the program even though they may not be the most "blue chip" recruit. Most new comers are going to get eaten alive in a good D1 program. Heck even most blue chippers have a hard time their first few months. Go check out Chance Marstellar's interview on Flo where he talks about not being able to score. It's already been said that you can't sign a whole room full of blue chippers, have some common sense and realize you're going to get kids who are more blue collar and under the radar. If the kid wants to test himself and is motivated to do live the lifestyle then I say welcome and glad to have you! Live the dream, maybe you'll be the next Dennis...or better yet...Whitmer!

I think you are mistaking me for somebody bashing the kids. I am not I am all for the kids living out their dreams. I just want to see Iowa have the depth at each weight that we used to have. Sad to say Iowa doesn't have the depth that Minnesota or penn state or ok state has. Not even close. Yes Meyer at 74/84 did a great job this year but all other weight Iowa is weak.

Not a tool just somebody that has a different option than you. Thanks for the conversation.
You may have a different 'option' than him but you have offered zero evidence to support your opinion. You haven't said what about him you don't like or why he won't be successful just 'because I said so'. All you have done in this thread is disparage a 17/18 year old kid who is putting it all on the line to join the Iowa wrestling room. So yeah, you may not be a tool but you sure come off like one in this thread.

I think you are mistaking me for somebody bashing the kids. I am not I am all for the kids living out their dreams. I just want to see Iowa have the depth at each weight that we used to have. Sad to say Iowa doesn't have the depth that Minnesota or penn state or ok state has. Not even close. Yes Meyer at 74/84 did a great job this year but all other weight Iowa is weak.
LOL Depth that Minnesota has? Oklahoma State? Iowa is waaaaay deeper than both of these schools. Seriously, look at Minnesota's roster for next year. I'd put the over/under on All-Americans at 3 for Minnesota next year and would take the under.

You obviously are disconnected from the reality of college wrestling. Some of the greatest workout partners our wrestlers and coaches talk about from over the years are guys no one has ever heard of (John Robinson, TH Leet, etc.) and are exactly the guys you're saying shouldn't be in the program.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

You obviously are disconnected from the reality of college wrestling. Some of the greatest workout partners our wrestlers and coaches talk about from over the years are guys no one has ever heard of (John Robinson, TH Leet, etc.) and are exactly the guys you're saying shouldn't be in the program.
Depth at certain weights you mean. We are solid at 125 with Laux, 141 (oops,we used to be), 149, 174, 197. At 174, we had a guy who had a nice shot at being an AA...same with 149.

Originally posted by pablow:

Originally posted by Cal98:

I watched some of his matches and I like him. He looks like a Bad News Bears kinda kid - a lot of fight, very little technique. He doesn't even know how to shake hands before a match. But you can tell if he works hard and learns the sport he's gonna be very good. I like this pickup.
+1 Kid placed fourth at Fargo in freestyle juniors in his third year of wrestling which would mostly be on athletic talent and instinct....think about that for a moment. Once he redshirts and learns technique, builds his gas tank...i'll take him. Welcome aboard Mr. Moody.

Des Moines Register article

I'm happy for the kid. Simply amazed by some people on this board. Jeesh we would rather talk about a future Minnesota gopher getting booed in Cedar Rapids rather than cheer for our own guys. The kid is a Hawkeye now and let's hope he develops into a Daniel Dennis! Best of luck Moody.

Seriously I don't get it either. There have been national champs from Iowa that didn't All American at Fargo. There essentially isn't a limit on the roster at Iowa if a kid wants to come in that room and give it shot good for him and good luck. I just don't get the need to belittle a high school kid for signing with your favorite team.

Calm down lol. He got 3rd and 4th in freestyle and Greco at fargo nationals. There are a lot of NCAA champions who didn't place that high at fargo

Originally posted by WatchaGonnaDoISU:
Calm down lol. He got 3rd and 4th in freestyle and Greco at fargo nationals. There are a lot of NCAA champions who didn't place that high at fargo
Yep, nice showing. Welcome aboard young Mr. Moody. Good luck to you.

Are serious, hawkeyefan31? GTFO. Somebody is new to wrestling.

Welcome aboard, Jeremiah!!!

First, Jeremiah Moody has only been wrestling. since 9th grade ( as the article stated and we are all aware). Yes, as an incoming freshmen and even a sophomore, he will get his butt kicked in the room. However, to place in both styles at Fargo after only 3 years of wrestling shows how committed he is and how hard he has worked. Student athletes are measured by their upside, or how much they will develop over their college years. His rate of improvement has been nothing short of extraordinary. With all due respect though, he is young for a high school senior, He was still a cadet last year at Fargo, He has a 1998 birth year. However, his 3rd place in Greco probably showed more about him than if he had won. He lost his first round match, then he rattled off 9 straight wins to scratch and claw back to 3rd. The grind and the mental toughness to do that is also a window into his mentality. I am sure he will compete in the Junior division this summer so we will see how he does. Also, since Morningstar has experience with one of Moody's club coaches, I am sure he spoke extremely highly of his character and work ethic. I know he will take more than his share of beat downs in the room, but I also know he is mentally tough and focused enough to develop into a highly valued member of the team even if he never earns a spot in the line up. The value to the team is not limited to how many team points you earn at the NCAAs. It is based on did you make those around work harder and get better.

Are you guys sure he's a class of 2015 senior?
This last summer he placed at the cadet level in Fargo. Most cadets are going into fresh/soph/junior year not going into their senior year.

Interesting he did better at Fargo placing 3rd & 4th than he did at the WI gr/fs tournaments placing 3rd & 5th.

I watched the posted video and was less than impressed but he obviously did something right to make the the 3rd place match in Fargo freestyle. Trackwrestling is showing Moody with an 11-0 major dec over Jack Jessen last month. Jessen is just a freshman but was in the national rankings at some point and was the IL 3A runner up at 170. Very legit win.

Results indicate potential but hopefully he has another year of high school left. Otherwise he will be a 16 or 17 year old kid (depending on birth month) trying to survive in a top D1 room this year.

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:
This last summer he placed at the cadet level in Fargo. Most cadets are going into fresh/soph/junior year not going into their senior year.

Interesting he did better at Fargo placing 3rd & 4th than he did at the WI gr/fs tournaments placing 3rd & 5th.

I watched the posted video and was less than impressed but he obviously did something right to make the the 3rd place match in Fargo freestyle. Trackwrestling is showing Moody with an 11-0 major dec over Jack Jessen last month. Jessen is just a freshman but was in the national rankings at some point and was the IL 3A runner up at 170. Very legit win.

Results indicate potential but hopefully he has another year of high school left. Otherwise he will be a 16 or 17 year old kid (depending on birth month) trying to survive in a top D1 room this year.
The article I saw from Andy Hamilton listed his records for his Junior Year (40-4) and his Senior Year (45-2). Said as a Junior he didn't qualify for State, as he had the 1,2,3 eventual placers in his Sectional. I was 17 when I graduated from High School way back when, which is apparently the case with Moody, which probably explains his still being in with the Cadets last year (I don't know the age group rules off the top of my head, but I presume this is why).

Kid looks strong and raw and really needs to work on leg attacks and defense. That said, I can't think of a better place than the Iowa room for that. Welcome aboard Jeremiah!

The Whitmer analogy is a little off. He was 3rd in HS as a freshman. Won it as a Sophmore and was beyond favored to win it his Junior and Senior year before being upset in the semis both years I believe. While a backup at Iowa behind Mena, he beat National Champ David Morgan and other quality wrestlers. He was expected to be pretty darn good. National Champ in his only year wrestling? No, that wasn't expected. Whitmer does have one similarity to Moody in that Whitmer started wrestling in 8th grade when he moved to Eagle Grove, so in a few short years he ended up at Iowa like Moody. And Huck, I'm in the same camp as you, I hope he has a similar ending to the story. Sounds like the work ethic and high ceiling is there for sure. And I couldn't help but see the connection with Morningstar. It does seem like he connects well with the HS age kids.

Originally posted by sloehawk:
Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:

The article I saw from Andy Hamilton listed his records for his Junior Year (40-4) and his Senior Year (45-2). Said as a Junior he didn't qualify for State, as he had the 1,2,3 eventual placers in his Sectional. I was 17 when I graduated from High School way back when, which is apparently the case with Moody, which probably explains his still being in with the Cadets last year (I don't know the age group rules off the top of my head, but I presume this is why).
Did you turn 18 later in the year you graduated?

He won't turn 18 this year. With a 1998 birth year he begin 2015 as a 16 year old. He either started school early or skipped a grade at some point.

Age and development wise he's like a kid that started wrestling in 8th grade, placed 3rd in state as a junior and then opted out of his senior year to train with the Hawkeyes. It will be interesting to track his development.

Interesting and i welcome this kid. I see some upside with his age and is definatly a late bloomer. Most kids with these credentials I would think big deal. But his case is different. Lets see where it takes him.

I highly recomend the kid go the OTC route for a year then come back and redshirt so we really give him 2 year then he would be RS Fr in 3.

While I I know this isnt the Brands preference as he want them to train under him and not in Colorado, and IMO I dont like this because other coaches poach and recruit these kids and some never make it back, this may be the 1 out of 10 exception. Nothing to lose going the Montell Marion approach. Let him grow up and get a few years under his belt to catch up.

And if he commits elsewhere, well we have recruited a ton of other 149/157 room type guys already. Plus that OTC year buys him some seperation in eligibilty from them. Sure we could lose him but the risk is worth the OTC year. Never thought id say that lol.
This post was edited on 4/10 10:16 AM by Ihawkd9times

Good point slim. On a different note, I don't understand why people would want to be negative towards incoming recruits. It's only a handful of knuckleheads that do it but it makes the board look bad. Any knowledgeable person knows this kid is basically going to be a walk on. The staff is taking a flyer on a kid who is raw and has potential. As long as kids like that stay out of trouble and go to class there is zero downside to this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT