ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Session 4 Thread*** (Blood Round)

Warner has to have some of the worst situational awareness I have ever witnessed. It is going to be hard for him until he figures it out. Not living up to the hype that was around him.

Hate PSU but Nickal is one of my all time favorite non Hawks. Just so dangerous in ANY position.

I agree! And he's not afraid to try anything. I remember his freshmen year when he was wrestling a match during which he literally outfunked himself on two occasions, but it didn't matter. He just kept trying all kinds of crazy shit until he nailed something that worked. That's kind of what I would like to see our guys do a lot more of...try shit early and often (in a match and in the season), and if it doesn't work, you'll know not to do it again. But if it does work, there's another weapon in the arsenal that can be used to put the nail in someone's coffin. We've heard it a thousand times, but one major difference between most Iowa wrestlers and most PSU wrestlers is that PSU wrestlers are going for the fricking jugular while we're trying to win by a point. I think we need to up our intensity and go for the kill vice being safe and hoping the 3rd period goes our way.

Last edited:
So Iowa wrestlers don’t believe in shooting more than 2 times in 2 minutes down 1 with RT. Good to know.

Urgency has been a loss this tourney. Maybe it’s just me.....nothing late from our guys to win.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Looks to me like several of our guys are tickled pink to reach AA status and dont really give a shit after that.

Warner has to have some of the worst situational awareness I have ever witnessed. It is going to be hard for him until he figures it out. Not living up to the hype that was around him.
Oh, like Bowman, and Wilcke have zero situational awareness? Hmmmm.

It sucks to see how far we are behind both PSU and OSU, looking at that team score is really disappointing. They're continuing to reload, in regards to PSU we just say hey wait til they graduate Zain, wait til they graduate Nolf, wait til they graduate Joseph, wait til they graduate Hall, wait til they graduate Nickal. I think we'll catch OSU eventually but PSU just continues with plug and play, someone like Cassar who makes the Semi's. Can't wait until we have a murder's row of wrestlers again to give them a run for their money.

If you go back and watch Spencer’s match, not only did he get cheated out on NF points in the first period, he should have gotten 4 NF points at the end. Should have been an easy MD.

Edited to add: There were also blatant hands to the face by Picc in the first period. Lee even reacted to the pain.

Last edited:
Alex needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and show up after a loss. I feel awful for him, but damn. He’s a much better wrestler than he showed this evening.

Lol, the guy is not feeling sorry for himself. When your game is to be physical like that you only have so much in the tank.

Reactions: maize_mechanic
Lol, the guy is not feeling sorry for himself. When your game is to be physical like that you only have so much in the tank.
Oh, I forgot; the guys he's wrestled today haven't wrestled as many matches as he has. Saw the same thing last year..and I'm not the only one thats seen it. I love Alex, but you cannot tell me he wrestled with the same fire this afternoon/evening as he normally does.

Reactions: TtotheL and shobart
Hawks have 5 all americans and one finalist and two wrestlers still alive for 3rd
And they should have done better. That's the problem for the better part of the last 8-9 years, save for a couple of teams that just lacked the talent overall.

Kudos we're improving ("what does it all mean, Basil"), but now the pressure is really on for next year.

AgitatedCourageousDachshund-size_restricted.gif

Time to stop walking....

Very much like last year...once he lost, he just lost it. This year there was so much promise, so I can totally see how difficult it would be to get up for placing third after the year he had. I got nothing but love for Alex, but he really needs to be able to get back on the horse, if you will, after the unexpected occurs...doing so will make him a better wrestler going forward. Hopefully next year he'll be able to conquer the NCAAs after he wins the B10s.

If he lost it he would not have beaten Massa.

We are pretty far away from Penn States level. Let's stop with the well get them next year talk....we wont, we've been saying that crap for years. Doesn't matter if they lose 2 or 3 national champs, they just plug and play.
They dont necessarily have the automatic NC coming back next year and sure fire bonus point guys. Will they still be tough? Of course, but they wont be as strong as these past 9 years

To the guy Wilcke had on the ropes. FYI to everyone on this site

My friend, check out the scores in Wilcke's matches this year. He has a lot of people on the ropes. The problem is that when the 7 minutes end, Wilcke's opponents are no longer on the ropes and Wilcke ends up losing (always by 3 or less points). We need more warriors who get their opponents on the ropes and f'n keep them there. And I've never questioned Wilcke's skills; I question his style; the same style that has him competitive in every match, but result in him losing the matches he could have won if he had pulled the trigger more often and limited the hand-fighting.

They dont necessarily have the automatic NC coming back next year and sure fire bonus point guys. Will they still be tough? Of course, but they wont be as strong as these past 9 years
There is no doubt that in November, Iowa is a favorite over Penn State, and for the national title. A whiteboard war probably shows about a 7/3 dual in favor of Iowa, and in tournament scoring similarly.

I disagree.. unless the brain between the ears says shoot/pull the trigger, it's not going to happen. Coaches preach, ultimately it's up to athlete to execute.
It's up to coaches to make them execute, that's what they get paid for .
Hear this all the time about football, it's not Kirk's fault the players didn't excecute, bs it's not . He's the freaking CEO.

I swear I envision God from History of the World pt. 1 wearing a PSU singlet voiced by Carl Reiner saying to Moses (Mel Brooks) 'PSU shall win'...as part of those 3 stones I give you. Too bad the one he dropped wasn't the one that declared this. Fu**ing disappointing to see this happen again,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT