ADVERTISEMENT

***NCAA Session 4 Thread*** (Blood Round)

@Sett1997
“My coaches said to keep scoring. I think that resonated in my head,” said Lee. “I got a couple more shots, and I wasn't backing up and focused on what he was doing. I was focused on my ability to score points and to continue to keep that action going.”

So the coaches must have only told Spencer to keep scoring and not Marinilli and Warner...come on dude, its on the wrestlers not scoring when it matters most.
Lol, coaching Lee and coaching Cash are two different things. Coach has to be able to get through to all of them. It's on the coach.
I can't believe you are pinning the blame on 20 year old kids .Lol
You're obviously an employee somewhere and have no idea how management and motivating works .
I'm out .

My friend, check out the scores in Wilcke's matches this year. He has a lot of people on the ropes. The problem is that when the 7 minutes end, Wilcke's opponents are no longer on the ropes and Wilcke ends up losing (always by 3 or less points). We need more warriors who get their opponents on the ropes and f'n keep them there. And I've never questioned Wilcke's skills; I question his style; the same style that has him competitive in every match, but result in him losing the matches he could have won if he had pulled the trigger more often and limited the hand-fighting.
x2. Iowa cannot hope to sniff NCAA titles with guys like Wilcke in the lineup so long as Penn State has guys like Nolf and Cenzo and Hall and Nickal in the lineup. Period. Hard stop. Stop wishing and add up the points.

They won't be guaranteed a NC, but by the time this tournament is done, Iowa will have a > 60 point gap to close next year. That's a lot in one season.

I agree. And one major problem I see is that PSU will come back loaded again. This is kind of like the "can't wait till Taylor and Ruth are gone" deal...synonymous with "just wait till next year." I have very little doubt that Cael and company sends 10 to NCAAs next year, with at least 5 projected finalists and 8-9 projected AAs. And trust me, Cael will not let Rasheed - or his replacement - lose this way next year. And while I think our team will be better than it is this year (hopeful for a healthy Kem), I just don't see 5 finalists and certainly don't see 8-9 AAs. We've got to do a better job of reloading (this is where all you crazy people jump in and blame it on PSU / Cael cheating...and if he is, we need to learn how to cheat equally well). Anyhow, we've got to do a better job of reloading. Whatever PSU is doing, we need to figure it out and we need to bring the bodies to Iowa. And in doing so, we need to ensure they're not going to Dresser or we'll be the 2nd best team in the state. Seriously though, we need to do better at reloading and we need to do better at instilling a "seek and destroy" mentality vice a "seek, hand fight, and hope for the best in the 3rd period" mentality. And like someone else said, we need to work on wrestling with confidence during the big dance, instead of wrestling so tight the deeper we get in the tourney. Love the Hawks, love the possibilities for next year (with a healthy Kem), and love watching Spencer...bring home the gold again, young man!! :)

Last edited:
Also... Why TF does every single Iowa wrestler look 10lbs smaller than their opponents every single year??
I guess it's the wrestlers fault and not the weight training coaches fault, that's the logic many on here believe. Lol

Reactions: Gobblin
It's sales man, the coach has to make them believe . I am a CEO of a small company, been in sales for 35 years.
Everything is on my shoulders, If my people don't perform it's on me. If they aren't trained correctly it's on me .
I don't pass the buck .
Cael is doing something different than the Brands brothers, would you agree?

What Cael is doing is starting with better recruits. When they are already "there" vs getting "there"

Look I'd love to have a kid like Mark Hall come in ready right out of the gate. We have one on the roster right now in SL.
But as a who would you rather have? Somebody who is humble, smart, interacts well, builds his teammates up.. I could keep going, or somebody who air guitars after beating somebody the already should be beating. Coming across arrogant in post match interview as well.
I'm just saying, just like Kirk, Iowa seems to build a program. Around their values more importantly than just winning.
I will take that anyday and that's what makes Iowa great.

P.s not picking on Mark Hall I'm sure he is a nice young man.. maybe.. don't know him personally though

Blame the 20 year old kid and not the coach that makes 6 figures .Lol
Unbelievable.
What do you think the coaches job is?
Wth

Reactions: Gobblin
What Cael is doing is starting with better recruits. When they are already "there" vs getting "there"

Look I'd love to have a kid like Mark Hall come in ready right out of the gate. We have one on the roster right now in SL.
But as a who would you rather have? Somebody who is humble, smart, interacts well, builds his teammates up.. I could keep going, or somebody who air guitars after beating somebody the already should be beating. Coming across arrogant in post match interview as well.
I'm just saying, just like Kirk, Iowa seems to build a program. Around their values more importantly than just winning.

P.s not picking on Mark Hall I'm sure he is a nice young man.. maybe.. don't know him personally though
Penn State kids have values, have you listened to them speak .They are every bit as good of kids as Iowa's.

Cory Clark beat 4 AAs on his way to a title with 1 arm... Miss me with this bullshit.

Apparently you did miss it, he beat 3 All Americans and typically you beat a couple AA along the way to a title. Clark’s bracket wasn’t anything like Marienellis. Two time AA in the first round

Penn State kids have values, have you listened to them speak .They are every bit as good of kids as Iowa's.

Yea.
Totally humility and class.
To be fair, Nolf and couple others are.
Others, nope.

Blame the 20 year old kid and not the coach that makes 6 figures .Lol
Unbelievable.
What do you think the coaches job is?
Wth
I bet the PSU faithful are mad at Cael when Rasheed lost, and OSU is mad at Tom Ryan when Myles Martin lost. Cael Sanderson is the only wrestler, in your opinion, who never got Bobby Douglas mad at from the fans, because he never lost a match. Except maybe when he lost his redshirt freshmen year.

I agree. Why go to Penn State and win championships when you can go to Iowa and fight for 3rd while complaining about the seeding committee and the refs?
Who in the holy f@ck is this guy? Are you here for the championship? I’m wearing the the Iowa hat with a lee, desanto and Marinelli pic on the front. I’ll wash it tonight and be there tomorrow. Come talk that bs about Alex and Iowa to me and I’ll have to wash it again...probably multiple times you board hopping son of a p@ssy.

I bet the PSU faithful are mad at Cael when Rasheed lost, and OSU is mad at Tom Ryan when Myles Martin lost. Cael Sanderson is the only wrestler, in your opinion, who never got Bobby Douglas mad at from the fans, because he never lost a match. Except maybe when he lost his redshirt freshmen year.
What?

and while talking about humility and classy attitude...remember you have AD on your team also...lol

They are kids, they get excited, we have had the same issues . Gilman, Ramos, Desanto, etc..
They get caught up in the moment.

Wonder if you said the same when they acted out?
Hall and his pantomime crap, Nickal citing lines from “wedding crashers” or Caesar getting a gift and starting no one can beat him. That is just charming kids being kids?

I don’t remember Ramos being too far but, I just don’t remember. Maybe he did. Gilman, yea, was a jerk at time but paid for it. DeSanto is one I see working to do better and fighting demons most don’t understand. I doubt that young man would be wrestling today if not for Brands.

Sorry, the loudest PSU rhetoric comes off as smug and A Hole. I like Bo but his thing last year put me off worse than Gilman ever did. You like them? Great. I expect more. There have been wrestlers through the years with more reason to brag or be smug that did not. Even the young Brands were decent interviews. Lincoln Mac never said a cross word about any opponent even when they tried to bang his head after concussion or tried to get chippy after a match. “Great opponent. Go Iowa”.

“That’s what PSU does, win titles and hard work. No one else does”. “I did that move when I was 9 years old”. “I can’t be beat”. Big flex and step.

I got no issue with the rolling leg bands, jumping and arms in the air. Yea, Iowa has had their share. But, sorry, not that many on one team.

Reactions: Sett1997
Apparently you did miss it, he beat 3 All Americans and typically you beat a couple AA along the way to a title. Clark’s bracket wasn’t anything like Marienellis. Two time AA in the first round

Ok Chief... I’m not into excuses or accepting mediocrity. Wrestling down to our competition year after year is getting old AF. It’s just facts. It’s beyond a trend now.

Last edited:
and while talking about humility and classy attitude...remember you have AD on your team also...lol
AD has made tremendous progress , credit to him and the Brands .
You are aware of the situation yes? If not I forgive you, if you are, you are a worthless POS .

Reactions: nwia67
Hall and his pantomime crap, Nickal citing lines from “wedding crashers” or Caesar getting a gift and starting no one can beat him. That is just charming kids being kids?

I don’t remember Ramos being too far but, I just don’t remember. Maybe he did. Gilman, yea, was a jerk at time but paid for it. DeSanto is one I see working to do better and fighting demons most don’t understand. I doubt that young man would be wrestling today if not for Brands.

Sorry, the loudest PSU rhetoric comes off as smug and A Hole. I like Bo but his thing last year put me off worse than Gilman ever did. You like them? Great. I expect more. There have been wrestlers through the years with more reason to brag or be smug that did not. Even the young Brands were decent interviews. Lincoln Mac never said a cross word about any opponent even when they tried to bang his head after concussion or tried to get chippy after a match. “Great opponent. Go Iowa”.

“That’s what PSU does, win titles and hard work. No one else does”. “I did that move when I was 9 years old”. “I can’t be beat”. Big flex and step.

I got no issue with the rolling leg bands, jumping and arms in the air. Yea, Iowa has had their share. But, sorry, not that many on one team.
They are kids, they do stupid shit. They will grow out of it .

So what's the difference between Cael and the Brands?

Absolutely nothing. They are doing what they feel is best for their university.

I just happen believe in TnT because of my Iowa bias versus PSU jealousy.

Look I enjoy your posting and our good natured banter. We are discussing semantics.

We both love Iowa and want the best for our athletes just differ on some opinions. That's what makes life great. We all are our own people

Reactions: Sett1997
Absolutely nothing. They are doing what they feel is best for their university.

I just happen believe in TnT because of my Iowa bias versus PSU jealousy.

Look I enjoy your posting and our good natured banter. We are discussing semantics.

We both love Iowa and want the best for our athletes just differ on some opinions. That's what makes life great. We all are our own people
It's all good, let's hope our Hawks roll tomorrow!!
Night buddy, I really, really am done for tonight . Lol

Reactions: Agoodnap and nwia67
GS so easy to dislike, maybe one of the only people that can get me to go for the PSU guy.
Its also as if the PSU wrestlers know the refs swallow their whistles in the semis. Nolf, Cenzo, and Hall should have had stalling calls. I may be wrong as I am still bitter about the draw AM got compared to Cenzo.

P.s not picking on Mark Hall I'm sure he is a nice young man.. maybe.. don't know him

So, just so we’re on the same page — this argument is that Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Hall and Cassar are huge assholes and Ramos, Gilman, and Desanto are what they should aspire to? Just checking.

Reactions: matwizard09
Aside from a few outliers, and or extremely talented kids, over the last 10 were are generally a team of guys that wrestle tighter the more is at stake. This is the biggest problem that needs the most addressing.

I disagree. I feel we always wrestle tight.

So, just so we’re on the same page — this argument is that Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Hall and Cassar are huge assholes and Ramos, Gilman, and Desanto are what they should aspire to? Just checking.

No. I agreed on Gilman, don’t remember Ramos being that bad and admitted that could be memory.
Defended AD because of what he struggles with.

I also said I thought Nolf was a good guy.
But I will agree hall, Bo and Caesar act like asses more than not.

Reactions: nwia67
I agree. Why go to Penn State and win championships when you can go to Iowa and fight for 3rd while complaining about the seeding committee and the refs?
See? Now you understand. And then after you decide to go to Iowa over Penn State, Iowa starts winning championships and Penn State goes back to caring only about football, with their non-football title-winning East Coast elitist attitude........

Glad you agree. :)

No. I agreed on Gilman, don’t remember Ramos being that bad and admitted that could be memory.
Defended AD because of what he struggles with.

I also said I thought Nolf was a good guy.
But I will agree hall, Bo and Caesar act like asses more than not.
Bo acts like an ass? The kid who constantly praised the lord when he gets interviewed and talks about how grateful he is for the opportunity to wrestle and even freaking helps the guys he pins up after a match?
Your homerism is showing, big time. Get real...

Bo acts like an ass? The kid who constantly praised the lord when he gets interviewed and talks about how grateful he is for the opportunity to wrestle and even freaking helps the guys he pins up after a match?
Your homerism is showing, big time. Get real...

Please see my next 2 post where I hit reply instead of edit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT